• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Lilith

Quote from: MV on May 14, 2016, 11:58:19 PM
Yeah, SSDs are so cheap now that if i reeeeeally needed to securely erase one, I'd just destroy it.

All Hail The Magnificent Destroyer!

Praise MV!

pate

I am not sure how to "de-frag" a Super Star Destroyer (as the kids call it nowadays), as the shield generators are a'midship.  I think it is code for something like:

QuoteOH! Watch out for that Rebel death star at your two o'clock

or somesuch radio chatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnauDzs-WJA

Not Sure...

ediot: my bad

zeebo

Been reading thru this thread since my lame 6-yr-old mobo died today.  Will not ever buy another HP since they'd stopped updating their BIOS after like 5 years, rendering it obsolete for some expansions namely UEFI-based video cards.  And now the mobo breaks soon after, almost like it was timed!  Anyhoo, trying to decide what to do next.

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on March 31, 2016, 05:10:44 AM
IMHO, XP was the best OS M$ put out. 2000 comes in a close second only because it doesn't handle NTFS.

Agree with the Sandman on this.  My two fave MS OS's.  If I had it my way we'd have just kept XP forever with continued support for new hardware.  Done and done.  Btw I'm typing this on my li'l tank of a Thinkpad still proudly running unsupported XP.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on April 16, 2016, 12:18:58 AM
I'll use Win7 until my hardware breaks down and I can't use it anymore.  Then I'll use Linux exclusively. 

Kept win 7 going for years but now I'm feeling very anti-MS, after a couple decades now of dealing with their games, glitches, and design suckage.  However, I hold no illusions that Mac or Linux are perfect either. 

So what's the latest vibe on Win 10?  At the very least, is it stable?  Fairly fast performance?

Lilith

Quote from: zeebo on May 19, 2016, 11:26:29 PM
Been reading thru this thread since my lame 6-yr-old mobo died today.  Will not ever buy another HP since they'd stopped updating their BIOS after like 5 years, rendering it obsolete for some expansions namely UEFI-based video cards.  And now the mobo breaks soon after, almost like it was timed!  Anyhoo, trying to decide what to do next.

Agree with the Sandman on this.  My two fave MS OS's.  If I had it my way we'd have just kept XP forever with continued support for new hardware.  Done and done.  Btw I'm typing this on my li'l tank of a Thinkpad still proudly running unsupported XP.

Kept win 7 going for years but now I'm feeling very anti-MS, after a couple decades now of dealing with their games, glitches, and design suckage.  However, I hold no illusions that Mac or Linux are perfect either. 

So what's the latest vibe on Win 10?  At the very least, is it stable?  Fairly fast performance?

At the very least zeebo!

I think MV should do us a Windows10 Tutorial video, but until then, this should help anyone interested in trying Windows10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TneCqdEZuU

Changing Windows10 security settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: zeebo on May 19, 2016, 11:26:29 PM

faster than any linux distro i've used.

ItsOver

Lilith

Quote from: ItsOver on May 20, 2016, 11:02:03 AM

So Say We ALL!  ;D

I think that might be my favorite Pic of MV!

ItsOver

Quote from: brig on May 20, 2016, 11:11:42 AM
So Say We ALL!  ;D

I think that might be my favorite Pic of MV!
"And MV viewed the magnificence of the destruction before him.  Then he had a pastrami on rye and it was good."

Praise MV.

Lilith

Quote from: ItsOver on May 20, 2016, 11:21:14 AM
"And MV viewed the magnificence of the destruction before him.  Then he had a pastrami on rye and it was good."

Praise MV.

Yes!  Which is as it SHOULD be!  ;D

zeebo

Quote from: MV on May 20, 2016, 10:36:00 AM
faster than any linux distro i've used.

Good to hear.  One more question for you or the group.  How much different is the interface from Win 7?  I got strained eyes just from pictures of Win 8 tiled stuff.  I hope 10 went back to more classic style. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: zeebo on May 20, 2016, 12:55:12 PM
I hope 10 went back to more classic style.

it did.  there are still a few things that dump you into a "metro" interface, such as various functions inside the control panel, but even that has been toned down and made more sensible and less annoying.  if you're using windows 7, i see no reason not to use win10.  just be sure you do a clean install.  you can use your windows 7 product key.

Quote from: Element 115 on May 14, 2016, 06:34:51 PM
Unless you're using EIDE or IDE with no SATA ports. Then your dino machine is SoL. I've been building, upgrading and repairing PCs since the epic fail slotted Pentium.
Sorry SDA, that's not quite correct. ;) Transcend still makes a PATA / IDE SSD that can be found on Amazon or EBay(occaisionally.) They are not cheap though (approx $50.00 for 32GB) and only run from 16 - 128 GB. An alternative would be to run an 'Industrial' ssd which is SLC, extremely expensive, and hard to find in large sizes. You can buy a new machine for the price of SLC, but they will last forever.
I'm running a Transcend in my old lappy and it performs very nicely.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on May 14, 2016, 06:34:51 PM
Unless you're using EIDE or IDE with no SATA ports. Then your dino machine is SoL. I've been building, upgrading and repairing PCs since the epic fail slotted Pentium.

you could always install a sata controller card.  they're about 25 bucks and you'll have sata3 on a dinosaur board.

For those of you that like Win 10, here's a few links that will help you to get the most out of it. If you're going to use it, you might as well exploit it's full potential. Also, there are hyper-links to more tips in these pages.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875600/windows/windows-10-the-best-tips-tricks-and-tweaks.html  <-- the very last tip in here has another link that brings you to more tips.

https://www.gfi.com/blog/the-top-33-windows-10-tips-tricks-hacks-and-tweaks/ <-- A few tricks in there to enact Linux-like functionality. Guess M$ doesn't like to lose it's market share. :o

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-windows-superpowers-access/

Quote from: MV on May 22, 2016, 12:00:06 AM
you could always install a sata controller card.  they're about 25 bucks and you'll have sata3 on a dinosaur board.
Good point !
All Hail "SAGE" MV.  :)  (You were right - on the GabCast)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 22, 2016, 12:07:40 AM
Good point !

heh heh, any time i read "good point" on this forum, i hear it in george noory's voice.

starrmtn001

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 22, 2016, 12:07:40 AM
Good point !
PRAISE MV! ;)

Quote from: MV on May 22, 2016, 12:26:05 AM
heh heh, any time i read "good point" on this forum, i hear it in george noory's voice.
AAAaaaaaaw, man. Now that you bring it up, I just heard him say it too. :P

BobGrau

Oh well. Next time I spend nearly two grand on a computer, it won't be a fucking windows machine.

analog kid

It was reported this is the last day to get the free Win10 upgrade or ISO. It's supposed to go up to about $100 after today. Not really sure how accurate that is though.

They had a massive purge at Mrs. Walks_At_Night's job - she survived the layoff.  As a morale booster
for the survivors they gave out some of the laptops of the fallen.

So tonight I'm installing Windows 10 Pro from scratch for her.   So the question is how many reboots will it have to go thru before it is setup the way I want.   *sigh*    That was a real nice thing MV did for the big guy - too bad it blew up into an inferno of insanity. 

Element 115

Quote from: MV on May 22, 2016, 12:00:06 AM

You could use a controller card but wouldn't get sata3 speeds on a dino board.

Element 115

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 22, 2016, 12:53:46 AM
AAAaaaaaaw, man. Now that you bring it up, I just heard him say it too. :P

Ugh same here

/wrist

Element 115

Quote from: BobGrau on May 29, 2016, 05:40:10 AM
Oh well. Next time I spend nearly two grand on a computer, it won't be a fucking windows machine.

..and hopefully a custom build.

Sunday night I fell asleep with the laptop on. Prior to that, I'd X'd out all the annoying Windows 10 popups. So, imagine  my surprise on Monday morning when I woke to find my laptop was busily installing Win 10 which I never agreed to. Fortunately, it hit a snag and aborted and I went online and learned how to disable the pop ups in the task bar and control manager.

This is what pisses me off the most about Microsoft. Maybe I would have upgraded to 10 after research, but I looked specifically for a laptop without 8 installed and this is what I got and wanted. It's borderline unethical to install something by default because a pop up was ignored. If not illegal, it's a shitty thing to do, overriding the customary permission to go into someone's private computer and make changes that were not agreed to. I was all ready to file a complaint with the FTC, fat lot of good that would do, but I couldn't despise Microsoft more than I do now. I was pissed when Apple installed a U2 playlist I didn't want on my phone, th is is worse. At least Apple responded to public pressure, Microsoft has done nothing to either acknowledge this invasion of privacy or rectify it. I won't be buying another Microsoft product again. It's worth saving quarter by quarter for something else.

BobGrau

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on May 30, 2016, 07:22:44 AM
Sunday night I fell asleep with the laptop on. Prior to that, I'd X'd out all the annoying Windows 10 popups. So, imagine  my surprise on Monday morning when I woke to find my laptop was busily installing Win 10 which I never agreed to. Fortunately, it hit a snag and aborted and I went online and learned how to disable the pop ups in the task bar and control manager.

This is what pisses me off the most about Microsoft. Maybe I would have upgraded to 10 after research, but I looked specifically for a laptop without 8 installed and this is what I got and wanted. It's borderline unethical to install something by default because a pop up was ignored. If not illegal, it's a shitty thing to do, overriding the customary permission to go into someone's private computer and make changes that were not agreed to. I was all ready to file a complaint with the FTC, fat lot of good that would do, but I couldn't despise Microsoft more than I do now. I was pissed when Apple installed a U2 playlist I didn't want on my phone, th is is worse. At least Apple responded to public pressure, Microsoft has done nothing to either acknowledge this invasion of privacy or rectify it. I won't be buying another Microsoft product again. It's worth saving quarter by quarter for something else.

Yeah, it's the way you wake up to find it sitting there like a stalker, acting as if you invited it in. Maybe they're just trying to encourage energy efficiency.

I do understand that upgrades are necessary in the long run, but I have a general policy of not buying software till it's been up and running for a while and people who care more than I do have ironed out some of the bugs. Oh, and that whole 'choice' thing.

ItsOver

"We are Microsoft.  We are omnipotent.  We know best.  You will comply.  You will be assimilated."   

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on May 30, 2016, 07:22:44 AM

Funny you say that....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376962

Microsoft has u-turned over changes it made to a pop-up encouraging users to upgrade to Windows 10.
Users were angry that clicking the cross to dismiss the box meant that they had agreed to the upgrade.
Based on "customer feedback", Microsoft said that it had added another notification that provided customers with "an additional opportunity for cancelling the upgrade".
The pop-up design had been described as a "nasty trick".

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 30, 2016, 10:39:03 AM

Funny you say that....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376962

Wow. Thanks for the link. What conniving bastards they are. Long time since I've seen anything so blatantly desperate.

QuoteBased on "customer feedback", Microsoft said that it had added another notification that provided customers with "an additional opportunity for cancelling the upgrade".

I wonder if by "customer feedback" they mean complaints to the FTC.  >:(