• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150910 - David Pares - Warp Drive - Live Show Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 10, 2015, 07:37:02 PM

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 10, 2015, 10:41:12 PM
The old college & career pastor at my Church's stupid human trick was that he could clap with one hand. He pretty much destroyed Zen Buddhîsm doing that.
😁😁😁

SciFiAuthor

Man, he's invoking Alcubierre. The problem there is that you need massive amounts of energy for one of those. Think a matter anti-matter annihilation of two planet Jupiter sized masses just to get into the ballpark. A thunderstorm is not going to accomplish that.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: maren on September 10, 2015, 10:38:46 PM
Thanks -- I'm a big Elon Musk admirer.  I'm guessing this aired on Wednesday night?  Boy, he seems pretty humorless, but I still think he's impressive!  Now I'm off to hunt down the entire interview, so thanks again for alerting me to this!!

Read the NY Times review of his attempted dirty coal powered car trip from Washington DC to Boston.
The guys a scammer, a very successful one.

Ned529

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 10, 2015, 10:41:12 PM
The old college & career pastor at my Church's stupid human trick was that he could clap with one hand. He pretty much destroyed Zen Buddhîsm doing that.
my dad always made a point to pull that joke on me as a kid. It took awhile but i got it eventually. and its funny because many moons later i have come to the realization that as corndog as my dad was that stuff fits right in with the importance of humor in zen. The good old winking eye. In the pyramid. 😉

maren

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 10, 2015, 10:46:18 PM
Read the NY Times review of his attempted dirty coal powered car trip from Washington DC to Boston.

You make me laugh out loud -- Elon Musk a scammer?  Jeez.

JamesMcDonald

That's your take.  My take is he's one of the greatest geniuses of our times.

albrecht

Quote from: trostol on September 10, 2015, 10:42:30 PM
anyone read this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkosigan_Saga
No, but I have an almost full bookshelf of actual sagas ;) Some many decades old in various languages but mainly in translation (which is always an issue.) Not kidding. Apparently with the new "pagan" stuff I could probably make some money on Ebay or some new-age fair....but old family stuff so will keep, for now!

He invented Paypal, sends rocket deliveries to the ISS, and has built a successful electric car company.  I can't find the NY Times article in a quick search, but it's hard to think of him as a scammer.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 10, 2015, 10:49:52 PM
He invented Paypal, sends rocket deliveries to the ISS, and has built a successful electric car company.  I can't find the NY Times article in a quick search, but it's hard to think of him as a scammer.

You may as well mention the Powerwall also.

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

Juan Cena

Quote from: trostol on September 10, 2015, 10:42:30 PM
anyone read this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkosigan_Saga

I've read The Vor Game in the past.

The warp drive mentioned reminds me of the Spacing Guild Ships in The Dune series.

trostol

Quote from: albrecht on September 10, 2015, 10:49:13 PM
No, but I have an almost full bookshelf of actual sagas ;) Some many decades old in various languages but mainly in translation (which is always an issue.) Not kidding. Apparently with the new "pagan" stuff I could probably make some money on Ebay or some new-age fair....but old family stuff so will keep, for now!

noice!!!!

WhiteCrow

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on September 10, 2015, 10:42:41 PM
Right, and he's a complete failure as well.

I'll just leave this right here...

Elon Musk's Net Worth Is More Than The GDP Of Nicaragua â€" & 54 Other Countries

http://www.bustle.com/articles/109479-elon-musks-net-worth-is-more-than-the-gdp-of-nicaragua-54-other-countries

Tesla cars and a battery/solar/wind powered nation/world is a joke... but he'll make another zillion bucks off the uninformed.

maren

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on September 10, 2015, 10:48:34 PM
That's your take.  My take is he's one of the greatest geniuses of our times.

Ditto.  Brilliant.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 10, 2015, 10:53:07 PM
Tesla cars and a battery/solar/wind powered nation/world is a joke... but he'll make another zillion bucks off the uninformed.

Oh and you're informed, right?   :)

lol Nice trolling.

I am kind of bored by the background talk. Get to the Warp Drive!

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Ned529 on September 10, 2015, 10:47:31 PM
my dad always made a point to pull that joke on me as a kid. It took awhile but i got it eventually. and its funny because many moons later i have come to the realization that as corndog as my dad was that stuff fits right in with the importance of humor in zen. The good old winking eye. In the pyramid. 😉
years ago, I read, 'the three pillars of Zen.' Great book about Zen specifically.

trostol

coaster

I wish he would describe in detail what exactly this electic fog is, because I have studied meteorology and I have never heard of it. Except for hearing about it in that pilot's story. Bizarre.

trostol

i was right..i have heard him and this story on the history channel...was a cool show if i recall

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 10, 2015, 10:49:52 PM
I don't think scammer but some of the most influential people at times combine theatrics, real stuff, exploitation, failures, and successes. Arguably, one of the "American" (or "Anglo/Dutch" because it started there) phenomena and dynamics. Cultures like China are catching up, slowly, but quickly to this... just a decade ago they were still very shame-based etc (and still are to an extent) but their gov't is forcing them out of it for new generation so that risk-taking, second-chances, recreating oneself, etc are increasingly more acceptable. With this, of course, comes pure scams, etc but overtime the innovation, usually, wins out....? Though some of these secret treaties etc worry me.

maren

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 10, 2015, 10:53:07 PM

Whoa -- wait!  What year is this?!?!?  For some reason I thought this was 2015 -- my mistake.