• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Metron2267

It only takes once  for that to put one off fish for a lifetime. Odd too given that Cod is fairly easy to clean out. And please don't tell me it was for the Halibut!

;)

Rix Gins

The Louisiana State Capitol Building.  It's still there.  As a matter of fact, this is the second postcard in this thread that shows the building.  Here is the first one: http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=9768.msg1059385#msg1059385

Oscar mailed this postcard on July 8, 1946.  Nothing much happened on that particular date but a couple of well known dudes were born two days previous.  Wiki, July 6, 1946:
QuoteGeorge Walker Bush, who would later become the 43rd President of the United States, was born in New Haven, Connecticut at 7:26 in the morning, the son of Yale University student George Bush and Barbara Bush.  Future film legend (Rocky and Rambo) Sylvester Enzio Stallone, was born in New York City to Frank Stallone Sr. and Jackie Stallone, and injured during the delivery, leaving him with a drooping lower lip and what would become a slight, but distinctive, speech impediment.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 18, 2018, 05:29:47 PM
It only takes once  for that to put one off fish for a lifetime. Odd too given that Cod is fairly easy to clean out. And please don't tell me it was for the Halibut!

;)

Ha.  No, I continued to eat there.  Luckily, I managed to wash it down with some Pepsi that I had been sipping on.

Rix Gins

A rather different subject for a postcard.  It kind of looks like a 'Where's Waldo?' drawing.

The back of the postcard shows the year 1982.  Ronald Reagan was president at that time but are the signs directed at him, or at 'past' spendthrifts?

Rix Gins

Here we have the childhood home of President Calvin Coolidge. It is still standing and can even be visited, for a fee.
Coolidge home: https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/presidents/calvin_coolidge_homestead.html

Metron2267

That was a huge home back in the day, nice link too.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 28, 2018, 12:53:13 AM

Interesting. One notes, in passing, that this museum, is in a place frequented (in summer) by oil tycoons and their connected politicians. I like to imagine the swilling of various scotchs, bourbons, and brandies, depending on their preference, by white-gloved black men n with silver-trays, formerly jobless, once trains, buses, and electric car help has gone, as they view the museum in which cheap, public transport has been stored, once abandoned while checking ticker-tapes, or now big-screens. And discuss things like hunting prospects, travels, and banking manipulations. Maybe some news wars even. Or some fun recollections of various secret society hazing and who next into the coffins for their brood for the coming prep school initiations....

Metron2267

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 28, 2018, 06:10:32 PM

Interesting how they chose Spanish as the "other language"... ::)

Je suis Canajados?

;)

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 29, 2018, 09:41:22 PM

Ha! That's great Rix. 

BTW - If I remember my history correctly, the guy that captured Jefferson Davis took his reward money and invested it in Allegan, Michigan.
It is, or was (and hopefully still is) a beautiful small town................

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 29, 2018, 09:54:50 PM
Ha! That's great Rix. 

BTW - If I remember my history correctly, the guy that captured Jefferson Davis took his reward money and invested it in Allegan, Michigan.
It is, or was (and hopefully still is) a beautiful small town................

Oh, now that is interesting.  I love small towns.

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 29, 2018, 10:11:00 PM
Oh, now that is interesting.  I love small towns.

Looks like it hasn't been destroyed yet.

Rix Gins

The Ox Yoke Inn is still around and it would be a nice place to meet for a New Years Eve lunch.  How about a hand breaded, southern style, deep fried catfish fillet sandwich?  $10.99 and you can get soup, tossed salad, fries, cheese, smoked bacon strips and sautéed mushrooms to go along with it but each of those items cost extra.

History of the Ox Yoke Inn: https://www.oxyokeinn.com/en/our_restaurant/our_history/

Metron2267

Fascinating place and a great menu. They had me at Walleye Pike - yum!

But check out their schnitzel and spaetzel:

Mmmmm!!!! ;)

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 03, 2019, 06:39:18 PM

Does Everett True accept these?    "Butter" boy should exercise caution with it.