• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things that bring me joy....

Started by West of the Rockies, July 19, 2013, 03:21:12 PM

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on June 09, 2019, 04:24:34 PM
Pork or beef? I love beef ribs because you really feel like a dinosaur or cave-man eating those big boys but pork ribs are good also.
Pork is not my favorite food, but it's very flavorful.  Even just a little can really season up a soup.  Anyhow, I've decided to eat pork a little more often, even though I know it's "unclean".  Evidently, it has 3 times as much potassium as other meat.  Does anyone know why some pork is cured, but port patties are not cured?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Sixteen on June 09, 2019, 05:05:24 PM
Pork is not my favorite food, but it's very flavorful.  Even just a little can really season up a soup.  Anyhow, I've decided to eat pork a little more often, even though I know it's "unclean".  Evidently, it has 3 times as much potassium as other meat.  Does anyone know why some pork is cured, but port patties are not cured?

No pork for you!

AZZERAE

Quote from: whoozit on June 09, 2019, 04:03:05 PM
30 minutes to rib time. They have been smoking for 5-1/2 hours and my belly is rumbling. Cervantes was correct. Well, someone was.

Booze and meat, slow down big guy!!!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Sixteen on June 10, 2019, 06:27:37 AM
Coming from a turkey.

You get your pork from Turkey? Seems like a long way to go. It must be good.

whoozit

I’m leaving for my annual fishing trip next Friday.  Be on the river fishing for Atlantic Salmon a week from Sunday.

Jojo

How long do the fish suffer before they die?

whoozit

Quote from: Sixteen on June 28, 2019, 09:22:55 PM
How long do the fish suffer before they die?
Well, if I’m keeping them they will be stabbed in the head and die quickly.  I usually don’t keep them so I make sure they are swimming ok then release them.  But, perhaps I should just stab them all in the head and toss them back in the river.  That way no one will be tempted to eat them.

albrecht

Quote from: whoozit on June 28, 2019, 09:40:00 PM
Well, if I’m keeping them they will be stabbed in the head and die quickly.  I usually don’t keep them so I make sure they are swimming ok then release them.  But, perhaps I should just stab them all in the head and toss them back in the river.  That way no one will be tempted to eat them.
Different type of fishing- but I'm suspect about the whole bladder-deal you have to do if they aren't of proper length/size down here in the Gulf. Supposedly helps them live but still, really? Good luck, and good fishing! Post pics!

whoozit

Quote from: albrecht on June 28, 2019, 09:49:19 PM
Different type of fishing- but I'm suspect about the whole bladder-deal you have to do if they aren't of proper length/size down here in the Gulf. Supposedly helps them live but still, really? Good luck, and good fishing! Post pics!
Since they are Salmon we will spend as much time as necessary to resuscitate them.  I caught a 33” one last year that looked fine but went belly up after a few feet.  We spent 10 minutes moving water through it gills until it could swim away.  If one is on the line for more than 15 minutes we’ll break it of so it won’t tire itself to death.

albrecht

Quote from: whoozit on June 28, 2019, 09:53:34 PM
Since they are Salmon we will spend as much time as necessary to resuscitate them.  I caught a 33” one last year that looked fine but went belly up after a few feet.  We spent 10 minutes moving water through it gills until it could swim away.  If one is on the line for more than 15 minutes we’ll break it of so it won’t tire itself to death.
WOW

I'm totally catch and release, like we do with illegal aliens,  or catch and eat, depending on type, where/what we are doing, etc. But never waste or want to hurt. Though will kill or shoot some non native or trash fish. I'm just suspect of some of the bladder-release deals for deep water species because idt most know how and if , really, efficacy. But I'm no expert. Supposedly when done it keeps them alive.
Have a good time and good fishing!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on June 28, 2019, 10:01:03 PM
WOW

I'm totally catch and release, like we do with illegal aliens,  or catch and eat, depending on type, where/what we are doing, etc. But never waste or want to hurt. Though will kill or shoot some non native or trash fish. I'm just suspect of some of the bladder-release deals for deep water species because idt most know how and if , really, efficacy. But I'm no expert. Supposedly when done it keeps them alive.
Have a good time and good fishing!

It makes me so mad how salmon fishermen here (including my brother) treat the various cod-type fishes (good-sized ling and another not so spiky I don't have a clear ID on) they accidentally catch as nuisances and let the poor bloated things drift away.  They are good, noble fishes in their own right and I could make a lot of fiskeboller out of one of those.

Jojo

Quote from: whoozit on June 28, 2019, 09:40:00 PM
Sounds like the head stab goes quickly.  Nice of you to prevent undue suffering  :).  I knew my dad was wrong just to let them suffocate in a bucket.

aldousburbank

>thread bump<

Hard to believe but I petted a live, wild Cooper's Hawk today. I was driving around when I saw it on the ground ripping up and eating some prey. I decided to stop the car and take some pictures, thinking it would probably fly off as I approached. But surprisingly it didn't seem to care. So I got closer and kept snapping shots. Still unfazed by my near proximity I though what the hell, I'll get on my hands and knees and see if I can touch it. It let me pet it a bit without seeming bothered at all. So I stroked its beautiful tail feathers while it continued eating. So strange. Finally, I guess to convince myself this was a real bird and not some Russian bot droid, I used a twig to try and pry the small bird it was eating from its talons. It was not into that, grabbing it's food and flying about 3 feet away and proceeded to ignore me again. It must have been a female.

Quote from: aldousburbank on October 12, 2019, 06:20:05 PM
>thread bump<

Hard to believe but I petted a live, wild Cooper's Hawk today. I was driving around when I saw it on the ground ripping up and eating some prey. I decided to stop the car and take some pictures, thinking it would probably fly off as I approached. But surprisingly it didn't seem to care. So I got closer and kept snapping shots. Still unfazed by my near proximity I though what the hell, I'll get on my hands and knees and see if I can touch it. It let me pet it a bit without seeming bothered at all. So I stroked its beautiful tail feathers while it continued eating. So strange. Finally, I guess to convince myself this was a real bird and not some Russian bot droid, I used a twig to try and pry the small bird it was eating from its talons. It was not into that, grabbing it's food and flying about 3 feet away and proceeded to ignore me again. It must have been a female.

That's how they sucker you in and  give you the Avian Flu man......    Watch your ass - the CDC is gonna try and round you up and throw you in the Flu Hut.
Mexico is your best bet.  Head south now!

[just kidding - great picture]

albrecht

>thread bump<

Awesome and weird that a raptor, non-initiated would allow person so close?

I wonder if the bird(s) was effected/affected by the smoke and fires? Or just the lack electrical lines and cell phone signals that maybe, by now, they have adapted so disoriented? And =then= gone and so system gets off-balance? Or if it was just your mojo or vibe? I only get birds that close when I actually hit them or, they fly into windows. Which, usually, they recover. Not always. Sometimes, I never knew it! But sun angle and you see "bird dust." Once on a big picture window I had a "dust" impression that rivaled a late 70's T/A. Big owl had hit in full wing-spread! No body below so I think he just "walked it off." Or, I guess, flew it off.

Lilith

>thread bump<

I like stories like this.  I'm glad you shared it, and the photo, with us.  :)

Hog

Quote from: Jojo on June 30, 2019, 02:04:24 AM
Sounds like the head stab goes quickly.  Nice of you to prevent undue suffering  :).  I knew my dad was wrong just to let them suffocate in a bucket.
Thats what they make "fish bonkers" for. you hold the fish with your thumb on one side and your index finger on the the other of the fishes "neck" just behind its head with the "web" of your hand over the topside of the fish. Then you take your fish bonker and while firmly holding the fish with your non-dominant hand, you firmly strike the fish in a downward motion squarely atop the fishes head.  Instant blunt force to the brain coupled with a spinal discontinuity.

peace
Hog

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 10, 2019, 11:25:18 AM
You get your pork from Turkey? Seems like a long way to go. It must be good.
I prefer my port originate in Spain (or is that Sherry?) Where are Turkey and Portugal?  ???

*Least Pate be accused of corrupting me on the last gabcast...
Quote from: Jojo on June 09, 2019, 05:05:24 PM
Does anyone know why some pork is cured, but port patties are not cured?

WOTR

>thread bump<

I figure if it were a female, you would be missing a chunk of your index finger. Cool story.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on October 15, 2019, 10:46:43 PM
I prefer my port originate in Spain (or is that Sherry?) Where are Turkey and Portugal?

North of each other.

I'll get on my hands and knees and see if I can touch it.

That sounds like something that Dr. Cornhole Runtboy MD would write.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 16, 2019, 07:53:05 PM
That sounds like something that Dr. Cornhole Runtboy MD would write.

Sniff, sniff. Smells like obsessed faggot in here

ksm32

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 16, 2019, 07:55:32 PM
Sniff, sniff. Smells like obsessed faggot in here
That's the fucking funniest post I've ever read. Ever. Seriously, spit-take.   Brought me Joy

ksm32

Doing this shit brings me heaps and HEAPS of joy. How much more joy could it bring me? NONE! NONE MORE JOY!

https://youtu.be/MKd6cnd2GII

Jackstar

Quote from: ksm32 on July 08, 2020, 01:32:27 AM
How much more joy could it bring me?

Hey mang--do you have a copy of our discussion that we had about the Test Show? I remember that really well, and would love to re-read that these days.

LOVE TO.