• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 09, 2015, 03:54:36 PM
World Series hero Madison Bumgarner showed up and is ready for Spring Training

I'm pretty sure that's actually grown-up Screech.

I hate the fact they are trying to implement a "pitch clock". It is absurd.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 10, 2015, 05:28:53 AM
I hate the fact they are trying to implement a "pitch clock". It is absurd.

I don't like it either.  Not that I'd watch any games either way.

I also don't like pitchers walking around, shaking off 10 signs, staring into space between every pitch - get the damn ball back from the catcher and pitch it.  Same with the batters stepping out between every single pitch, adjusting their hat, cup, gloves, crossing themselves - stay in the damn batters box and be ready to hit

Instead of a pitch clock, just instruct the umpires to call a strike if the batter steps out, and call a ball if the pitcher is dicking around too much.  That will fix the problem of 4, 5, 6 hour games when they should be half that.  Remember the year they started calling balks several times a game - took awhile but it put an end to the sloppiness of delivering the pitch..

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 10, 2015, 05:40:36 AM
I don't like it either.  Not that I'd watch any games either way.

I also don't like pitchers walking around, shaking off 10 signs, staring into space between every pitch - get the damn ball back from the catcher and pitch it.  Same with the batters stepping out between every single pitch, adjusting their hat, cup, gloves, crossing themselves - stay in the damn batters box and be ready to hit

Instead of a pitch clock, just instruct the umpires to call a strike if the batter steps out, and call a ball if the pitcher is dicking around too much.  That will fix the problem of 4, 5, 6 hour games when they should be half that.  Remember the year they started calling balks several times a game - took awhile but it put an end to the sloppiness of delivering the pitch..

The prolonged commercial breaks don't help either.

A easy thing to do would be to limit trips to the mound, and don't let batters step out during a pitchers wind up.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 10, 2015, 05:43:43 AM
The prolonged commercial breaks don't help either.

Not to mention all the pitching changes

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 10, 2015, 05:44:50 AM
Not to mention all the pitching changes

I am OK with the changes but the catcher going to the mound 3 times an inning is absurd.

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 10, 2015, 05:40:36 AM
....Instead of a pitch clock, just instruct the umpires to call a strike if the batter steps out...

And if the batter does one of those time-outs right before the pitch is thrown, the catcher should be allowed one free foot-stomp on him.

Quote from: zeebo on February 10, 2015, 03:34:46 PM
And if the batter does one of those time-outs right before the pitch is thrown, the catcher should be allowed one free foot-stomp on him.

The umpires are not required to grant timeouts. 

I still love baseball, but i am going to far more minor league games than pro games. We just added a Texas Rangers affiliate in the region, so I bought a 20 game pack for the year.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 10, 2015, 05:45:47 AM
I am OK with the changes but the catcher going to the mound 3 times an inning is absurd.

The way they're going, at some point I expect the entire team to huddle on the mound before every pitch, like football

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 10, 2015, 04:14:54 PM
I still love baseball, but i am going to far more minor league games than pro games. We just added a Texas Rangers affiliate in the region, so I bought a 20 game pack for the year.

That's not a bad idea

pate

Oh yeah, the Minor/Industrial type league games are fun, sometimes way more one-sided, but still fun, and cheep cheep cheep!  Plus no upper deck seats so every seat is practically on the field...

Well I wouldn't say that for the T-bones, but the St. Joe Mustangs are awesome cheep, ($1 hotdogs,beer and other stuff) plus a MilDiscount sometimes (free)!

basswood

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 10, 2015, 04:14:54 PM

What team is that, Monk? We've got the Round Rock Express down here, highly successful.

Quote from: basswood on February 10, 2015, 10:09:56 PM
What team is that, Monk? We've got the Round Rock Express down here, highly successful.

High Desert Mavericks (A+ Ball). The stadium is 3000 feet up and the wind blows straight out. It is an absolute launching pad. It used to be the  Mariners affiliate and the Mariners never sent any of their top pitching prospects there.

I've never been to Round Rock, but I will try to check a game out if I am ever in Texas.

basswood

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 11, 2015, 03:52:56 PM
High Desert Mavericks (A+ Ball). The stadium is 3000 feet up and the wind blows straight out. It is an absolute launching pad. It used to be the  Mariners affiliate and the Mariners never sent any of their top pitching prospects there.

I've never been to Round Rock, but I will try to check a game out if I am ever in Texas.

There's really nothing quite like the minors, old time fun. Every stadium is unique. I used to go see the New Orleans Zephyrs sometimes back when they were the Astros farm club. They always opened up the field to kids after the games. I remember my daughter bloodying up her knees pretty bad rounding third. Good times... lol

Looks like 1966 was a pretty crazy year, and this might explain why the Cubs have had so much trouble getting to the World Series.

[attachimg=1]

And 1970 was a pretty crazy year, too, at least for Dock Ellis (or as he was appropriately listed in the phone book - Ellis, D.)

No Mas Presents: Dock Ellis & The LSD No-No by James Blagden

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 06, 2015, 08:24:45 PM
And the mascot, Charlie O

[attachimg=1]

I was reading Jim Hunter's autobiography today and came across this from Jim Hunter. The later events (the bad season) are from 1974.
-----
...early 1969 I borrowed $120,000 from Mr. Finley to buy that particular plot of land promising to repay the debt at a rate of $20,000 per year plus 6% interest for as long as it took. The acreage in question was just a few hundred yards east of where I live today but miles ahead in soil content and productivity, it's rich black dirt fed by the Perquiman's River.

A great buy. Or so I figured. But come June, Finley started hounding me and my dad for his money back. All $120,000. Right now. "But I'm supposed to pay you in installments," I said. To which he responded, "I know, I know, but I'm buying a hockey team and a basketball team, and I need the money."

I told Finley the truth. I didn't have the money. Not at what he was paying me a year ($75,000), and I wasn't about to go robbing Peter to pay Paul. Not after all my daddy taught me. But Mr. Finley was in one of his Charlie O. (the mule) moods. He wanted his money back. End of conversation. For a while, at least.

Then the call started. Day and night. Night and day. Only on the days I pitched. Of course, Finley denied knowing I was pitching. This is from the man who knew how much popcorn they sold every night, what lights were out in the restrooms.

"Cat," he'd say over and over again, the same raspy voice, "do you know who this is?"
"Yes, sir, Mr. Finley."
"I...need...my...money."

It never varied. Or ended. "I...need...my...money."  I'll admit it; it got to me. Try having your boss call up just before a sales presentation. See how you do. That's why, as I mentioned before, I started eight games in August and lost everyone, ending the season 12-15. It got so bad that when I went to the ballpark I wouldn't take any calls. "I...want...my...money."

-----
From Catfish: My Life in Baseball by Jim Hunter and Armen Keteyian

ponyboysunset

Being a Tigers fan it is going to be interesting this year. I had no idea there were baseball threads on here!!! In the 1990s I started watching the Cubs on WGN, because unlike the Tigers there is usually no hope with the Cubs, so less heartbreak. Although, they did sign Lester.

Pitch clock sucks. Not a fan. Also not a fan of the DH, guess I am old school!

albrecht

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 03, 2015, 05:56:57 PM

Pitch clock sucks. Not a fan. Also not a fan of the DH, guess I am old school!
I agree with you on both. The realignment that sent the Stros to the AL also sucks. It was fun to be able to see both games in the same state but I like the NL much better and so now....although there already was a "realignment" in the cable market with the ridiculous Comcast Houston sports channel deal so I wasn't able to see Stros games anymore anyway here.

ponyboysunset

The Astros being in the AL is just weird. I grew up watching them as I watched the Cubs. The killer B's were amazing! I think the instant replay modernization era of baseball sucks. I love NL ball because the pitchers bat. Back in the day pitchers could hit, just sayin'. I'm thinking for all that money they get now they should have to hit!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 03, 2015, 06:42:11 PM
The Astros being in the AL is just weird. I grew up watching them as I watched the Cubs.

I still can't adjust to the Brew Crew in the NL...and the Seahawks being in the NFC.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 03, 2015, 07:36:43 PM
     I still can't adjust to the Brew Crew in the NL...and the Seahawks being in the NFC.
They move it around just when you get used to it.

basswood

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 03, 2015, 07:58:34 PM
They move it around just when you get used to it.

I'm still getting used to the Brewers moving to the NL. And the introduction of a Wild Card. And hell, I'm still not happy at the addition of a "Central" division. So, it's going to take a few decades for me to stop thinking of the Astros as an NL team. Though I have been an O's fan from the cradle (and pray every night for Peter Angelos to retire to Boca Raton), it's a shame that Houston couldn't manage to get a ring with Bags and Biggio.

basswood

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 03, 2015, 05:26:36 PM
I was reading Jim Hunter's autobiography today and came across this from Jim Hunter. The later events (the bad season) are from 1974.
-----

-----
From Catfish: My Life in Baseball by Jim Hunter and Armen Keteyian

Wow! That's a great and crazy story  :o

albrecht

Quote from: basswood on March 03, 2015, 08:38:52 PM
I'm still getting used to the Brewers moving to the NL. And the introduction of a Wild Card. And hell, I'm still not happy at the addition of a "Central" division. So, it's going to take a few decades for me to stop thinking of the Astros as an NL team. Though I have been an O's fan from the cradle (and pray every night for Peter Angelos to retire to Boca Raton), it's a shame that Houston couldn't manage to get a ring with Bags and Biggio.
Yeah, the Killer B's era was awesome and I so wanted it. Those were some great games though. Speaking of the O's. Whatever happened with the whole Vi Ripken kidnapping deal? That was so bizarre but I've heard no update on that. Did they catch the guy ever?

basswood

Quote from: albrecht on March 03, 2015, 08:54:04 PM
Yeah, the Killer B's era was awesome and I so wanted it. Those were some great games though. Speaking of the O's. Whatever happened with the whole Vi Ripken kidnapping deal? That was so bizarre but I've heard no update on that. Did they catch the guy ever?

Ha! It's almost ready to get tossed in the cold case bucket. Deadspin did a really thorough history of it just last month: http://deadspin.com/whatever-happened-to-the-ripken-kidnapping-case-1681106095

ponyboysunset

Quote from: basswood on March 03, 2015, 08:38:52 PM

They had some great teams then, I was surprised it didn't happen.