• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

bellNwhistle

Quote from: BellBoy on December 18, 2015, 03:55:40 PM
You got your first look around the Bella-Haven thread today?

That was pretty much the whole site eight days ago. We all got along and made each other paper flowers and stuff.

It was well cool... before 'the troubles'.

I'm a crafty gal, or so I think. I shoulda been there before the SHTF.

norland2424

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 18, 2015, 03:38:30 PM
Only if the cow fights you.

Was there this much BS flying before Art quit?

not so much, when " dad" walks out on us for the billion time to buy cigs things get rowdy

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 18, 2015, 03:38:30 PM
Only if the cow fights you.

Was there this much BS flying before Art quit?

Not really. But it depends how you define BS? A lot of people on this forum are actually quite intelligent and able to sift the wheat from the chaff.

As Shylock said in the Merchant of Venice:

Act 1 Scene 3.
Signior Antonio, many a time and oft
In the Rialto you have rated me
About my moneys and my usances:
Still have I borne it with a patient shrug,
For sufferance is the badge of all our tribe.
You call me misbeliever, cut-throat dog,
And spit upon my Jewish gaberdine,
And all for use of that which is mine own.

Replace Shylock with 'trolls'..or rather those who disbelieve Art Bells version of events.

Let me ask you something please; How will you react if and when it's revealed AB has fabricated the story he's told from possibly a very mundane or even unrelated event?

Ciardelo

That was pretty much the whole site, eight days ago. We all got along and made each other paper flowers and stuff.

Yorkshire pud

That was pretty much the whole site, eight days ago. We all got along and made each other paper flowers and stuff.

Why do you bring that up? You say that because you won the 'best daisy' competition.

BellBoy

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 18, 2015, 04:01:55 PM

Why do you bring that up? You say that because you won the 'best daisy' competition.

Jealous? Still?!  ::)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: BellBoy on December 18, 2015, 04:05:24 PM
Jealous? Still?!  ::)

You tore my crepe paper up! Deny it. Go on.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: (Redacted) on December 18, 2015, 10:45:10 AM
The stalker knows where Art lives, this person has already been to his place at least 4 times, posting the photo of his property won't change that.  I want this person caught and stopped so Art can host his show again.

Yes, but. In other words, is this particular troublemaker the only potential threat to Art? I've read too many newspaper articles and seen too many cop shows not to understand that where there's one nut, there may be more. As with the oft-cited "copycat." Although, in this case, a copycat might have a lot of trouble figuring out what to copy. Probably as confused and ill-informed as the rest of us. I don't think a map would help with that particular problem, so there's that I suppose.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 18, 2015, 03:58:35 PM

Let me ask you something please; How will you react if and when it's revealed AB has fabricated the story he's told from possibly a very mundane or even unrelated event?

If he's fabricated the story, I think I would be just as disappointed (though that doesn't seem quite the right word here) as anyone.  Not even necessarily that he would do such a thing, but because it has impacted people (definitely not myself) who actually count on his show to be successful- Keith, Heather, etc..

I don't know what happened, and if nothing serious happened, I see no other motivation for making this all up other than he's ashamed to admit that he just isn't interested in going on anymore. Why would he do something like that? Why wouldn't he just spit it out? I don't know.  I'll admit that this doesn't make much sense to me.   

People would be pissed, especially because they were all looking forward to this, and then BAM, it's all over.  That is the most irritating thing to me. I love listening to his program, but he's not a god.  I don't worship the man.  I've never in my life called into his show, never sent a message through the worm hole, never met him or sent him a fan letter.  I can't even keep awake long enough to catch a live show. 

I think for me, it brings me back to early days of my marriage.   My 2nd year being married, my husband and I were staying for 6 months at an Air Force base. That's what we listened to at night, over the sound of C-130's, sitting there around the runway, not too far from our base housing. I was in a strange place, listening to a new show, terrified of the subject matter..  it was a "feeling".  And while some feelings shouldn't be kept alive, this has been for me for a long time now.  I don't know if that makes sense, and maybe it makes me an idiot.  But that's how I feel about it.  It's the experience.

Ciardelo

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 18, 2015, 04:10:07 PM
If he's fabricated the story, I think I would be just as disappointed (though that doesn't seem quite the right word here) as anyone.  Not even necessarily that he would do such a thing, but because it has impacted people (definitely not myself) who actually count on his show to be successful- Keith, Heather, etc..

I don't know what happened, and if nothing serious happened, I see no other motivation for making this all up other than he's ashamed to admit that he just isn't interested in going on anymore. Why would he do something like that? Why wouldn't he just spit it out? I don't know.  I'll admit that this doesn't make much sense to me.   

People would be pissed, especially because they were all looking forward to this, and then BAM, it's all over.  That is the most irritating thing to me. I love listening to his program, but he's not a god.  I don't worship the man.  I've never in my life called into his show, never sent a message through the worm hole, never met him or sent him a fan letter.  I can't even keep awake long enough to catch a live show. 

I think for me, it brings me back to early days of my marriage.   My 2nd year being married, my husband and I were staying for 6 months at an Air Force base. That's what we listened to at night, over the sound of C-130's, sitting there around the runway, not too far from our base housing. I was in a strange place, listening to a new show, terrified of the subject matter..  it was a "feeling".  And while some feelings shouldn't be kept alive, this has been for me for a long time now.  I don't know if that makes sense, and maybe it makes me an idiot.  But that's how I feel about it.  It's the experience.
That's just like my story! Well without the airplanes. Or the Air Force base. or the husband...

But you can read a lot of stories here and elsewhere about how Art's shows touched us in the middle of the night like that. Good touch. Not bad touch.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 18, 2015, 01:40:20 PM
+1 you A#1 i don't think people are listening to her with 'fresh ears" they are dragging all sorts of baggage into their perceptions.

Right. And "baggage" includes all that stuff that's been accumulating in people's brains since they arrived on Earth -- like hours, days, weeks, years or listening to the radio. You have a point and, at the same time, you don't.

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 18, 2015, 03:56:37 PM
He's genius enough to keep Art off the air.  ::)

I don't know why, but "window peeper" makes me giggle. I'm having myself some wine to take the edge off of the mass hysteria on BellGab. For every new conspiracy theory, I take a drink. Maybe thats every time someone trashes Art or Heather, I take a drink? Either way.. I'll be sleeping well tonight.

;D

SredniVashtar

Quote from: nika01 on December 18, 2015, 01:23:04 PM
Also bear in mind that Art Bell didnt become Art Bell over night.

No, he had the sense to learn his trade in small markets where people are allowed to fail and learn and improve, like every other major figure in broadcasting. This whole 'go, Heather' thing is the same sort of thinking that expected people like Bill O'Reilly to make it on the radio - because it's just, like, talking, ain't it? No, it isn't. It takes a long time to understand what you need to do, otherwise you are going to be having long periods of dead air. Also, it is very easy to sound grating and mannered on the radio, when all you have is your voice for people to pick holes in. The longer you work at it, the more you realise what you are lacking (if you have any self-critical ability, and a willingness to learn, that is).  If you want to take something on that you have not earned then expect to have a ton of shit flung back at you if you suck.

There are lots of things that need time, but that doesn't mean we should bother with them. I would like a nice beachfront property, but it would take several million years for coastal erosion to do the job for me. But, if I just give it time...

For fuck's sake, I don't know who you are, and care even less, but you should probably stick to your colouring books and leave the thinking to those with a brain.

That's not you, by the way, in case you hadn't figured that out.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 18, 2015, 04:16:04 PM
That's just like my story! Well without the airplanes. Or the Air Force base. or the husband...

But you can read a lot of stories here and elsewhere about how Art's shows touched us in the middle of the night like that. Good touch. Not bad touch.

LOL  ;D

Yep.. totally good feeling. Even on the shittier interviews.  Even to this day, regardless of what the show is technically called, I call it the Art Bell show.  C2C can suck my left nut, cuz it's no longer Art's (which pisses me off every time I hear the music at the end).. I don't know what this version with Heather will be.. but if it's not Art doing it, it's not the Art Bell show.  So maybe I'll just be playing old shows as I've been doing for years now, to keep having the experience.. one that I'm not quite ready to end.  (Still hanging on to my membership, for now. Still listening to her shows the next day.  For now. :) )

norland2424

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 18, 2015, 04:20:37 PM
LOL  ;D

Yep.. totally good feeling. Even on the shittier interviews.  Even to this day, regardless of what the show is technically called, I call it the Art Bell show.  C2C can suck my left nut, cuz it's no longer Art's (which pisses me off every time I hear the music at the end).. I don't know what this version with Heather will be.. but if it's not Art doing it, it's not the Art Bell show.  So maybe I'll just be playing old shows as I've been doing for years now, to keep having the experience.. one that I'm not quite ready to end.  (Still hanging on to my membership, for now. Still listening to her shows the next day.  For now. :) )

have you picked uped the torrent yet? the one that was posted here two years ago

onan

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 18, 2015, 03:58:35 PM

Pretty much the way I have reacted so far, I don't give a shit.

I really have a tough time understanding why this is the crux of debate. Let's say it is all made up. Now what? He isn't doing a show either way. Maybe he does need extravagance to save face. Again, so what?

I mean if the person you have been intimate with for the last 10 years, all of a sudden says it's over, cuz I got shot at, that is a tangible loss. But, we knew from the start this wasn't going to be long lived. OK most of us were hoping on a few years. It didn't happen.

I live in NC, people fire off weapons behind my house on an almost daily basis. But when I first moved here that startled the hell out of me. I did call the police. They came out and then informed me that behind my house was county property and there were no laws restricting gun fire outside city jurisdiction.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 18, 2015, 04:10:07 PM

This is the end result^^^

Because simply saying "You know people, I've released I don't want to do this full time any more; It's old, I'm old, and frankly I'm bored with the same old same old."  won't cut it. Not the audience, not Keith, not the backers, not the affiliates. I've walked out of jobs and it's not a good feeling and it's not a very good taste to have.

I understand why he'd want to go. I get that. But I'm certain many wouldn't like it. It would be like Sinatra stopping mid gig and walking off stage simply because he wanted an early night, and then decided he no longer wanted to tour. The end; at date three of a thirty venue tour.

So he needed a reason; something that would guarantee sympathy. And being the target of an assassin is a sure way of getting sympathy, agree? I think it got out of control and he isn't able to differentiate fact from fiction. I don't (and I must stress this) think the stalker part was intended to be malicious, I think it was self centered though; but the dumping Heather in the 'hot seat' and Keith to pick up the pieces was pure selfishness with no regard for the fall out. The 'fans' I don't think even entered his head.

That is my take.

pyewacket

Quote from: RoseGirl on December 18, 2015, 03:07:32 PM
oh and just so you know earth0007 and YP ....I, and likely most of the free world, has you on ignore.

So cough up a kidney....no one cares.

Speak for yourself RoseGirl. I enjoy their witty commentary. There are plenty good natured threads to visit here. If Bellgab ceases to allow for testy arguments and blistering insults it will become yet another place where people only spout group speak platitudes. I prefer it to remain the way it is. 

Ciardelo

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 18, 2015, 04:20:37 PM
LOL  ;D

There's a new archive in the works but there is a pretty massive one already put together. Even those 4chan fucks come here to get shows. lol.

The "golden age" for me was back when Mark Cuban had started broadcast.com and Art's shows were on there in .ra format. Then Yahoo decided to buy it for $5.7 billion and it's now is one of the most expensive re-director sites evar. lol "They" always figure out how to fuck up a good thing.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: norland2424 on December 18, 2015, 04:24:33 PM
have you picked uped the torrent yet? the one that was posted here two years ago

I sent the info to my husband. He uses Plex to store all of our media files, so whatever he has is on there.  I told him to grab whatever he didn't have..  I do know he goes way back, though.  :)

Ciardelo

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 18, 2015, 04:31:46 PM
I sent the info to my husband. He uses Plex to store all of our media files, so whatever he has is on there.  I told him to grab whatever he didn't have..  I do know he goes way back, though.  :)
*bow chica wow wow

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 18, 2015, 04:25:57 PM

This is the end result^^^

Because simply saying "You know people, I've released I don't want to do this full time any more; It's old, I'm old, and frankly I'm bored with the same old same old."  won't cut it. Not the audience, not Keith, not the backers, not the affiliates. I've walked out of jobs and it's not a good feeling and it's not a very good taste to have.

I understand why he'd want to go. I get that. But I'm certain many wouldn't like it. It would be like Sinatra stopping mid gig and walking off stage simply because he wanted an early night, and then decided he no longer wanted to tour. The end; at date three of a thirty venue tour.

So he needed a reason; something that would guarantee sympathy. And being the target of an assassin is a sure way of getting sympathy, agree? I think it got out of control and he isn't able to differentiate fact from fiction. I don't (and I must stress this) think the stalker part was intended to be malicious, I think it was self centered though; but the dumping Heather in the 'hot seat' and Keith to pick up the pieces was pure selfishness with no regard for the fall out. The 'fans' I don't think even entered his head.

That is my take.

Maybe he's too big for his britches. He's a public figure, so at some point, it's not about anybody but himself. I'm not trying to give Art a hard time here.  I'm not him. And if this is all legit, he does have a wife and child to consider, if not go off the air for.  It is easier, I would imagine, to get fans to understand when you have something like this to get their sympathy about. Makes it sting perhaps a bit less for them, and takes some of the weight off of knowing you're disappointing so many.

I wanted this to work out (for selfish reasons), but I knew in my gut, months before he actually "went live", that something would happen. In fact, every time he and Keith had it out and the show was threatened before it even began, I wasn't in the least bit shocked.  My sense of doom was overwhelming.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 18, 2015, 04:29:19 PM
There's a new archive in the works but there is a pretty massive one already put together. Even those 4chan fucks come here to get shows. lol.

The "golden age" for me was back when Mark Cuban had started broadcast.com and Art's shows were on there in .ra format. Then Yahoo decided to buy it for $5.7 billion and it's now is one of the most expensive re-director sites evar. lol "They" always figure out how to fuck up a good thing.

Mark Cuban? Seriously? I had no idea.

BellBoy

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 18, 2015, 04:32:51 PM
*bow chica wow wow

That made me re-read her last two sentences in a completely unclean way.

(you made me spit my scotch, you ass and it's the good stuff tonight, damn it)

coaster

Quote from: RoseGirl on December 18, 2015, 03:28:53 PM
Why yes, rekcuf...yes it is.
I don't have a problem with astrology in itself. when you realize its just entertainment and completely made up nonsense. If gullible people want to dish out money for entertainment, so be it. It's just another form of fiction writing. What annoys me is when "astrologers" or whatever the hell they call themselves try to act like its some divine knowledge and completely legit. It most certainly is the definition of woo woo. I wonder, do they have to label their stuff as "for entertainment purposes only" like other fortune tellers and hokey gypsy folk have to?

BellBoy

Quote from: coaster on December 18, 2015, 04:39:07 PM
I don't have a problem with astrology in itself. when you realize its just entertainment and completely made up nonsense. If gullible people want to dish out money for entertainment, so be it. It's just another form of fiction writing. What annoys me is when "astrologers" or whatever the hell they call themselves try to act like its some divine knowledge and completely legit. It most certainly is the definition of woo woo. I wonder, do they have to label their stuff as "for entertainment purposes only" like other fortune tellers and hokey gypsy folk have to?

Words hurt, sir. We prefer to be called 'Travellers'.

Quote from: norland2424 on December 18, 2015, 03:58:25 PM
not so much, when " dad" walks out on us for the billion time to buy cigs things get rowdy

:'( :'( :'( 7 nights ago... Still hasn't come back yet.