• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150907 – Daivd Paulides - Strange Disappearances - Live Chat Thread

Started by AppealPlay, September 07, 2015, 10:00:46 PM

AppealPlay

I messaged Art again about asking his congressman or the DOI OIG about his FOIA requests.  It's definitely something that Paulides should address on air.

munbeam666

I grew up in a community next to Pasadena, CA, next to a massive mountain range. People got lost in those mountains all the time, despite the fact the range is next door to the greater LA area, where millions of people live. I recall there were a few hikers who were never found. Our town (Sierra Madre) had an excellent search-and-rescue team (still does). We had a next-door neighbor who was part of the search team. We got all kinds of stories of people getting lost/missing from those mountains all the time.
If you don't know what you are doing, you could get lost really easily in any wild area

trostol

Quote from: munbeam666 on September 07, 2015, 11:10:48 PM
I grew up in a community next to Pasadena, CA, next to a massive mountain range. People got lost in those mountains all the time, despite the fact the range is next door to the greater LA area, where millions of people live. I recall a few hikers were never found. Our town (Sierra Madre) had an excellent search-and-rescue team (still does). We had a next-door neighbor who was part of the search team. We got all kinds of stories of people getting lost/missing from those mountains all the time.
If you don't know what you are doing, you could get lost really easily in any wild area

do you know..your avatar sort of looks like professor snape playing the guitar?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: swordpoint9 on September 07, 2015, 11:05:27 PM
Every Federal Agency has an IG . I have went to FLETC with them . Basically the IG system is the FBI for every agency . If they mess up then the DOJ takes over !

I know every federal agency has an such an office, just didn't know if they are called IGs by all federal agencies.  You're right about the role they play, however.  Has he, or even better his congressional rep, contacted the DoI IG with copies of the answers he claims to have gotten?

AppealPlay

I grew up in a community next to Pasadena, CA, next to a massive mountain range. People got lost in those mountains all the time, despite the fact the range is next door to the greater LA area, where millions of people live. I recall a few hikers were never found. Our town (Sierra Madre) had an excellent search-and-rescue team (still does). We had a next-door neighbor who was part of the search team. We got all kinds of stories of people getting lost/missing from those mountains all the time.

Sure.  100% agree.  In my neck of the woods one could easily get lost and disappear in the GW&J National Forest.  I think people underestimate the massiveness of our parks and forests system.  We're talking about HUGE swaths of essentially uninhabited and inhospitable land.

Quote from: trostol on September 07, 2015, 11:08:53 PM
if it was a predator ..you would never see him

Blah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha

That makes PERFECT sense.

I think the cases are solved.

:D

swordpoint9

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 07, 2015, 11:12:40 PM
I know every federal agency has an such an office, just didn't know if they are called IGs by all federal agencies.  You're right about the role they play, however.  Has he, or even better his congressional rep, contacted the DoI IG with copies of the answers he claims to have gotten?
I would have but I know the System . I think He was a Local Cop never a Fed !

jazmunda

Is this a worldwide phenomena? I'm going camping next week and want to know if I need to take out insurance?

norland2424

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 07, 2015, 11:12:53 PM
Sure.  100% agree.  In my neck of the woods one could easily get lost and disappear in the GW&J National Forest.  I think people underestimate the massiveness of our parks and forests system.  We're talking about HUGE swaths of essentially uninhabited and inhospitable land.

and just like art said in a past show , i wonder how many "lumps" there are in the national parks

jazmunda

I like his reasoning for not conjecturing what is causing the disappearances.

Gassy Man

A lot of people commit suicide in parks.  I know someone who is a public affairs officer at a large state park, and they have several suicides a month.  People go there because they can be alone, but at the same time, they expect to be found eventually.  That's what makes them popular for suicides.

The bodies are always found.  A national park is usually much larger, though, and the wildlife there may be responsible for taking care of bodies.  Still, bones, clothing, and other articles are often left over, even in some cases if the body has been there for years.  Nothing being found is unusual.

Of course, there is the possibility that the deaths at national parks, whether by suicide or other means, are simply being covered up in some way, or at the very least downplayed.  Keeping such things quiet would benefit the park's reputation -- and my friend in public affairs says the state parks have done a good job of keeping the general public from knowing about the suicides.

Still, the idea that a killer or killers may be hunting people in the national parks is not improbable.  Certainly, a vast, relatively empty and remote location with a high transient population would seem to be attractive for such for some maniac.  And they don't yet, so far as I know, search vehicles and such as a matter of course.

It's all pretty scary when one considers the possibilities.  Of course, I'd bring along my significant other, who among other things, has a CCR and would put a big hole in any foolish aggressor.

Quote from: jazmunda on September 07, 2015, 11:14:25 PM
Is this a worldwide phenomena? I'm going camping next week and want to know if I need to take out insurance?

The Outback is probably ten times more batshit than anything happening in our national parks.

EvB

the rub with that state law vis a vi guns is that not all parks or public lands are confined to one state.

Quote from: trostol on September 07, 2015, 11:10:21 PM
what sorta..cult shit?

Out there on the Colville Indian Reservation was one of the creepiest vibes I've ever felt. It took me about 150 miles to get out of there with nothing but my car compass. As I was driving on these desolate backroads where I literally didn't see other cars for a hour at a stretch, I came across several road signs that had been shot up and a couple road signs that had been spray painted over with "HELL" in big letters with an arrow pointing into the darkness. I don't know if cult shit is the right word to describe it but it definitely got my attention out in the middle of scary af nowhere. The Apocalypse Now quote came to mind "Never get off the boat, unless you're going all the way."

munbeam666

Quote from: trostol on September 07, 2015, 11:12:03 PM
do you know..your avatar sort of looks like professor snape playing the guitar?
I'm one of Jerry's kids

Quote from: jazmunda on September 07, 2015, 11:14:25 PM
Yes.  Probably lots of cases from the Outback.  Be careful!

WanagoBleu

Lake Mead National Rec Area...one of the most dangerous parks in the system because it's so close to Las Vegas. Lots of crime. Spent 25 years with two boats out there. I was always lucky, but always had a large dog & carried a .38.

Xtreme1

Dave worked for a small municipality in California around San Francisco. George Knapp speaks Very highly of him.

littlechris

I grew up in a community next to Pasadena, CA, next to a massive mountain range. People got lost in those mountains all the time, despite the fact the range is next door to the greater LA area, where millions of people live. I recall there were a few hikers who were never found. Our town (Sierra Madre) had an excellent search-and-rescue team (still does). We had a next-door neighbor who was part of the search team. We got all kinds of stories of people getting lost/missing from those mountains all the time.
I grew up in Arcadia, I got lost at the Arboretum one time, tatoo found me so all was good. lol  ;)

trostol

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 07, 2015, 11:15:46 PM
Out there on the Colville Indian Reservation was one of the creepiest vibes I've ever felt. It took me about 150 miles to get out of there with nothing but my car compass. As I was driving on these desolate backroads where I literally didn't see other cars for a hour at a stretch, I came across several road signs that had been shot up and a couple road signs that had been spray painted over with "HELL" in big letters with an arrow pointing into the darkness. I don't know if cult shit is the right word to describe it but it definitely got my attention out in the middle of scary af nowhere. The Apocalypse Now quote came to mind "Never get off the boat, unless you're going all the way."

that is kinda creepy

JamesMcDonald

Iinformation on the staircases in the parks.

"This is the last one I'll tell, and it's probably the weirdest story I have. Now, I don't know if this is true in every SAR unit, but in mine, it's sort of an unspoken, regular thing we run into. You can try asking about it with other SAR officers, but even if they know what you're talking about, they probably won't say anything about it. We've been told not to talk about it by our superiors, and at this point we've all gotten so used to it that it doesn't even seem weird anymore. On just about every case where we're really far into the wilderness, I'm talking 30 or 40 miles, at some point we'll find a staircase in the middle of the woods. It's almost like if you took the stairs in your house, cut them out, and put them in the forest. I asked about it the first time I saw some, and the other officer just told me not to worry about it, that it was normal. Everyone I asked said the same thing. I wanted to go check them out, but I was told, very emphatically, that I should never go near any of them. I just sort of ignore them now when I run into them because it happens so frequently. "

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

EvB

Quote from: Xtreme1 on September 07, 2015, 11:16:38 PM
Dave worked for a small municipality in California around San Francisco. George Knapp speaks Very highly of him.

Knapp's endorsement holds good weight.