• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150911 - Art Bell, Open Lines - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 11, 2015, 07:53:06 PM

Weirdoradio

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on September 11, 2015, 10:11:27 PM
Richard needs to call in.

I would love to have that happen one evening. RCH calls in and on-air asks Art tips on interview techniques, how to use the faders, and how to get that pesky mysterious caller to stop bothering him at the top of his show. They then exchange a solemn 'braaaps' and Art returns to the vast fields of emptyheaded callers, devices unextinguished, that await him.

trostol

hmm...just saw an interesting piece of art work..Darth Maul Vs Wolverine...

Lilith

Quote from: Spinner on September 11, 2015, 10:13:36 PM
Hi, everyone!
Looking forward to some fun open lines. :)

Yup, I love all the open lines callers........the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Sean92008

Suggestion for an open lines night (are you paying attention [REDacted]?):

Open date lines...

Noorynoid

Tonight I'm listening to Art and the drum solo from Inna-Gadda-Davida at the same time. Yeah, it's truly awesome.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 11, 2015, 10:11:19 PM
Lucifer is a spectrometer on Mt. Wilson which also hosts the Vatican observatory. They aren't related however. 
That actually makes more sense. Lucifer==being of light. A spectrometer measures light.
Thanks for the info SciFiAuthor.

albrecht

I'm surprised Nancy from zetatalk isn't calling in (or another one of those types.) I seem to recall a Gabcast that got derailed into crazy land....

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: bateman on September 11, 2015, 10:14:56 PM
Friday 10-12 ET. Thanks, y'all.

Excellent. Fridays I'll have 7 hours of solid radio to listen to.

Spinner

Quote from: jazmunda on September 11, 2015, 09:58:33 PM
If Bateman will shut up!!!!1111 :P

Love you Steve.
I loved hearing bateman just before Art. I wish it could have been live so that he can say "Stay tuned. Art Bell coming up next!"
Maybe some day...?

rozypalm

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 11, 2015, 10:11:19 PM
Lucifer is a spectrometer on Mt. Wilson which also hosts the Vatican observatory. They aren't related however.

I remember Fr. Martin Malachi in his interviews referring it as the whole telescope (I know its  referring to a part of one)  which is probably why Art believes that :)

Noorynoid

Quote from: Sean92008 on September 11, 2015, 10:15:33 PM
Suggestion for an open lines night (are you paying attention [REDacted]?):

Open date lines...

Can I? new avatar? huh? please...

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 11, 2015, 10:14:07 PM
Enya and many more of your easy-listening favorites can be found on the new three CD collection "Music for Your Sex Dungeon."
LOL.

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on September 11, 2015, 10:15:36 PM
That actually makes more sense. Lucifer==being of light. A spectrometer measures light.
Thanks for the info SciFiAuthor.

Here's the (official?) Vatican explanation

There was another strange phone call today. Somebody was apparently just recently hurt by a misinformation which has been circulating on the web for two or three years. This calumny claims that the Vatican astronomers named some instrument or telescope "Lucifer". 

It is fairly clearly a typical case of degradation of information. The truth of the matter is that the Vatican Observatory is a member of the Mount Graham International Observatory (MGIO) consortium, together with a number of other institutions from Europe and the USA. The MGIO comprises a large number of stake holders, most of whom have nothing to do with the Vatican Observatory or its telescope.

How does this work? It is quite similar to share holders in a company. Supposing you had a six percent share in a company, while Mr XYZ had a four percent share. What could you do if Mr XYZ decided to name his pet hamster "Demon"? 

One of the stake holders in the MGIO is a group of European institutes who built an infrared camera and spectroscope, and named it "Lucifer". So what happened? First, somebody reported that an instrument called "Lucifer" was installed on Mt Graham. Then somebody remarked that Mt Graham also hosts the Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope, and that it is somewhat amusing that Mt Graham has both Vatican and Lucifer. Then the information somehow degraded and the slur was born: Vatican astronomers are supposedly friends with Lucifer...

http://vaticanobservatory.org/vo-news/news-archive/98-news-archive/vatican-lucifer/515-vatican-lucifer

So in answer to your other questiong, the Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope (VATT).

Spinner

Quote from: trostol on September 11, 2015, 10:02:04 PM
if planet x was coming at the prescribed time...we would be well aware by now
It's cloaked! Duh!

Weirdoradio

Oh I didn't realize that tonight was Unwelcomed Jingle Suggestion Night. 'West of the ukeleles, please dial...'

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on September 11, 2015, 10:14:56 PM
Friday 10-12 ET. Thanks, y'all.
Nice! Harder work though, I hope you still keep it focused with high production value. I'm not into callers or live as much as good interviews. But take it however you wish.....

why cant he just answer phones and talk to people. that's what the people want, right?

jazmunda

Quote from: Spinner on September 11, 2015, 10:16:08 PM

I loved hearing bateman just before Art. I wish it could have been live so that he can say "Stay tuned. Art Bell coming up next!"
Maybe some day...?

He doesn't need to be live to do that.

Hey, Is it national change your avatar week ? [I'm Guilty.] I noticed a lot of people have changed up this week.
"No Koinshidessses" - Jorch

popple

Quote from: Spinner on September 11, 2015, 10:16:08 PM

Maybe some day...?

I like that idea!  ;D

ArJuna

Quote from: ASC on September 11, 2015, 10:18:15 PM
why cant he just answer phones and talk to people. that's what the people want, right?
No tonight because the world is ending this month and he wants credit for being on top of it. :-)