• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150826 - Marcus Hutter, A.I. - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 26, 2015, 09:49:15 PM

sydtron

Hogies got a Braaaapover. 
Too much brap not enough water.  Tsk tsk.

Or.. or.....

Hes taking his telphone to Ma Bell for repair.

Dr_Blue

New Sheriff Overseeing Burning Man to Crack Down on Naked Rule-Breakers

ShayP

Quote from: MV on August 26, 2015, 10:53:53 PM
Does Hoagland read this forum at all? Anyone know?

He claims not to BUT he referenced something from his thread.  A caller asked him if he visited and he said "There just isn't time!"  I took that as YES.  ;)

aldousburbank

Quote from: Dr_Blue on August 26, 2015, 10:54:58 PM
New Sheriff Overseeing Burning Man to Crack Down on Naked Rule-Breakers
About fucking time!

Juan Cena

Waiting for the discussion to get to the Singularity concept.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Dr_Blue on August 26, 2015, 10:57:09 PM
And here I thought nudity was THE major draw?  ?   ?
Yes. And I'm pissed that I'm not there!

ShayP

Quote from: Sean92008 on August 26, 2015, 10:54:00 PM
Yet I am still not a makeup-wearing hair metal musician  ::)

You could be.  Nonetheless...that visage was looking at the invisible Robbins effigy.   ;)

Sean92008

Quote from: Dr_Blue on August 26, 2015, 10:57:09 PM
And here I thought nudity was THE major draw?  ?   ?

Too many of the nudies go around complaining about the attention they draw. 

JamesMcDonald

Because nudity is one of the biggest crimes of our time.  Right up there with what the bankers are doing to us.

Dr_Blue

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 26, 2015, 10:57:55 PM
Yes. And I'm pissed that I'm not there!
Starts this Sunday so you still have time.........YEA

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: bateman on August 26, 2015, 10:50:58 PM
Oh man, I forgot about that. He yelled it too. Dean was probably scratching his head wondering what the hell that was all about.

Dean was really professional, he just glanced passed it without missing a beat. It was sort of amazing really.

Sean92008

I was available in Iowa for a while...  Women there were much more available, open-minded and sociable than from my hometown of San Diego, California.

Dr_Blue

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 26, 2015, 10:58:40 PM
Because nudity is one of the biggest crimes of our time.  Right up there with what the bankers are doing to us.
Nudity is only a crime if it makes me want to hurl.

Sean92008

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 26, 2015, 10:58:40 PM

Nude banking is where we're headed to.  Right along with transgendered musicianship. 

End of the world shit happening, I tell you.

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 26, 2015, 10:53:28 PM
I have to disagree with your first statement.  AI and robotics are linked.  They always have been.

Robotics & Artificial Intelligence
http://www.scientificamerican.com/topic/artificial-intelligence/

Sorry, but no. You may think so based on the link you sent. Certainly I've been to conferences where both are discussed in same arenas, but only because they remain similar. But there are major differences between control systems, neural networks, genetic algorithms, and re-configurable systems. The only thing they really share is usually some sort of feedback measurement. Certainly they have some overlap, but the stuff being done in robotics right now only has the appearance of intelligence. The guest even said it within the first 20 minutes of the show that he won't touch discussions of robotics because they are different from AI. The fundamental approaches taken for both are completely different. There are a few overlaps, but the successes in both have a long ways to go before the overlaps will be large enough to start being relevant. I agree with Art that things are farther along then maybe Marcus wants to claim. Be Marcus is also completely right that they are still different fields. People have been trying from the 40s to combine the two, but they still have taken separate approaches in the end to be successful.

trostol

i heard transcendence was a poor mans lawnmower man

SciFiAuthor

It's interesting that these discussions always devolve into an assumption that a superintelligent AI would destroy all life. That's not necessarily true. It's probably easier for it to just launch itself into space, give us the finger and take off on its own. Or it could decide that the only reason for existence is to have fun, so it will figure out a way to drink, have sex and do drugs in which case we have to support it like a welfare case. Or it may well figure out a way to make itself human just to fit in. You just can't definitively say that such a thing would immediately go in to Skynet or Matrix mode.

Dr_Blue

Quote from: Sean92008 on August 26, 2015, 10:59:58 PM
I was available in Iowa for a while...  Women there were much more available, open-minded and sociable than from my hometown of San Diego, California.

I found many Calif. Girls thought they were "special" just cuz they were from Cally.

Sean92008

Quote from: Dr_Blue on August 26, 2015, 11:02:51 PM
I found many Calif. Girls thought they were "special" just cuz they were from Cally.

You know, I just had a thought...  Maybe the Iowa girls were interested because *I* was from SoCal...

I dunno.  I miss West Des Moines, Iowa and Henderson, Nevada.  San Diego sucks for p***y.

ShayP

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 26, 2015, 11:02:46 PM
It's interesting that these discussions always devolve into an assumption that a superintelligent AI would destroy all life. That's not necessarily true. It's probably easier for it to just launch itself into space, give us the finger and take off on its own. Or it could decide that the only reason for existence is to have fun, so it will figure out a way to drink, have sex and do drugs in which case we have to support it like a welfare case. Or it may well figure out a way to make itself human just to fit in. You just can't definitively say that such a thing would immediately go in to Skynet or Matrix mode.

Or it could be a dysfunctional tragic figure that's in misery because it doesn't know how to fit in and doesn't have an escape from it's "emotions."  Imagine this 'being' gaining footing as a living thing only to kill itself.