• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150826 - Marcus Hutter, A.I. - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 26, 2015, 09:49:15 PM

ShayP

Quote from: bateman on August 26, 2015, 10:41:43 PM
It's a replay of Dean Haglund though, for anyone who would like to hear RCH give the computer hacker from the X-Files a stern tutorial on how to use Skype.

Haha!  There's that...

maren

Quote from: PrairieGhost on August 26, 2015, 10:03:23 PM
All I know is his name is Ben. Art posted about it on facebook.

Thank you -- not that I'd know who it is anyway.  Always rough to lose a friend or loved one. 

trostol

Quote from: ShayP on August 26, 2015, 10:44:24 PM
Hoagie's ill and needs a day to recuperate.

he shouldnt have stayed up drinking lol

maren

Quote from: whiptrackercracker on August 26, 2015, 10:31:28 PM
Did not pay attention to the guest name, but the voice was so familiar. I am so pleased to see Dr. Hutter as a guest with Art. One of the top guys I would recommend for an AI talk. Tonight is going to be a treat!

I'm glad you're pleased -- but it's all over my head.  But I"m hanging in there!  :-)

aldousburbank

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 26, 2015, 10:42:51 PM
I sent a wormhole message asking Art to ask Marcus what he thinks of the newest DARPA and Google robots.  Have you folks seen the video of the Humanoid Google robot running through the woods?  That is some intense stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpVnct2w03E
Yeah, the next level of "someone is chasing me" paranoias.

swordpoint9

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 26, 2015, 10:39:08 PM
Is that Cusco music making anyone else see colors or is that just not me?
Just not me too Bro !

Sean92008

Quote from: ShayP on August 26, 2015, 10:44:24 PM
Hoagie's ill and needs a day to recuperate.

Maybe he's a Time Traveler and he listened to Peter Robbins...

Zenman

I sent a wormhole message asking Art to ask Marcus what he thinks of the newest DARPA and Google robots.  Have you folks seen the video of the Humanoid Google robot running through the woods?  That is some intense stuff!

Yes, those are some creepy critters. Good questions.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: bateman on August 26, 2015, 10:41:43 PM
It's a replay of Dean Haglund though, for anyone who would like to hear RCH give the computer hacker from the X-Files a stern tutorial on how to use Skype.

It's also the episode where he said "Braaaps from Bellgab".

aldousburbank

This stuff is not leaking from my brain compartment to my brain department.

He probably won't comment on it, since AI is different from robotics. However, it is re-enforcement of what Art was saying, that maybe robotics will be farther along then Marcus realizes, when AI does maybe start to kick in. But they are essentially still two different things. The level of sensing ability the DARPA robots have compared to us as a human intelligence is still way off too.

Sean92008

Off topic: 

Does anyone know why Fry's Electronics rarely hires non-accented store managers?  Mostly Italians from New York. 

I'm serious.  4 out of 5 managers I've dealt with were Italian-named with heavy accents, presumably from New York/Jersey.

ShayP

Quote from: Sean92008 on August 26, 2015, 10:45:45 PM
Maybe he's a Time Traveler and he listened to Peter Robbins...

Listening to Robbins can only remind you that you're are not worthless and weak.

swordpoint9

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 26, 2015, 10:46:45 PM
I will listen just for that !

bateman

Oh man, I forgot about that. He yelled it too. Dean was probably scratching his head wondering what the hell that was all about.

Listening to this guy is giving me nightmarish flashbacks of college calculus classes

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 26, 2015, 10:45:11 PM
Yeah, the next level of "someone is chasing me" paranoias.

Picture this.  A police van pulls up at the scene of a crime.  The back doors open, and two 7 foot tall humanoid robots jump out and run up to the building.  Within seconds they are inside.  One of the perps tries to run away.  The first robot runs after him, catches up, the perp turns around and shoots the robot in desperation.  The bullets harmlessly bounce off the robots shell.  It catches up to him, grabs the gun out of the perp's hand and immediately flips the perp onto the ground and covers his body so that he can't move at all.  The second robot exits the house carrying the perp with one arm.  The whole thing is over within 45 seconds.

ShayP

Quote from: bateman on August 26, 2015, 10:50:58 PM
Oh man, I forgot about that. Dean was probably scratching his head wondering what the hell that was all about.

I think he prefaced it in an unusual way.  I may need to listen again.  ;D

Quote from: QuantumMystics on August 26, 2015, 10:50:04 PM

I miss my old 8088 CPU. I wonder if I have enough magic to get that thing running again.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: whiptrackercracker on August 26, 2015, 10:49:02 PM
He probably won't comment on it, since AI is different from robotics. However, it is re-enforcement of what Art was saying, that maybe robotics will be farther along then Marcus realizes, when AI does maybe start to kick in. But they are essentially still two different things. The level of sensing ability the DARPA robots have compared to us as a human intelligence is still way off too.

I have to disagree with your first statement.  AI and robotics are linked.  They always have been.

Robotics & Artificial Intelligence
http://www.scientificamerican.com/topic/artificial-intelligence/

MV/Liberace!

Does Hoagland read this forum at all? Anyone know?

aldousburbank

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 26, 2015, 10:51:50 PM
Picture this.  A police van pulls up at the scene of a crime.  The back doors open, and two 7 foot tall humanoid robots jump out and run up to the building.  Within seconds they are inside.  One of the perps tries to run away.  The first robot runs after him, catches up, the perp turns around and shoots the robot in desperation.  The bullets harmlessly bounce off the robots shell.  It catches up to him, grabs the gun out of the perp's hand and immediately flips the perp onto the ground and covers his body so that he can't move at all.  The second robot exits the house carrying the perp with one arm.  The whole thing is over within 45 seconds.
That sounds like paradise.

Sean92008

Quote from: ShayP on August 26, 2015, 10:50:23 PM
Listening to Robbins can only remind you that you're are not worthless and weak.

Yet I am still not a makeup-wearing hair metal musician  ::)

swordpoint9

Quote from: ShayP on August 26, 2015, 10:51:04 PM
Oh 1985....I miss you.  ;D
If you worked for agencies that use TECS Treasury Enforcement Communications System you would be at Home F keys and all !