• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150811 - Seth Shostak, SETI - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 11, 2015, 09:31:20 PM

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 11, 2015, 10:26:23 PM
Wow signal .... Oh boy it's like 1977 again .... Nothing new since then...

I seriously appreciate and share your cynicism.

Quote from: chefist on August 11, 2015, 10:31:07 PM
It has James Woods...who is a documented genius...
He was a genius driven mad in the Videodrome.

maren

Quote from: Xitheron on August 11, 2015, 10:31:52 PM
The Lord is not from earth right? Wouldn't that make him an alien?

Pointer Sisters.  Before I forget.   ;D

AppealPlay

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 11, 2015, 10:33:00 PM
I seriously appreciate and share your cynicism.

It does seem like we all get older but we never get newer stories.

stevenotero

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on August 11, 2015, 10:33:13 PM
I just watched the Criterion version of that movie. da fuq

chefist

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on August 11, 2015, 10:33:13 PM

LOL...great reference to a cult movie! love it!

AppealPlay

Well, duh, Leo.  The Queen is a lizard shapeshifter thing.

RoseGirl

Seth has the voice of someone who wears a bow tie.

So, if you ever want to sound chipper, excited about science and...well....really, really smart, here ya go:

Rh- just means you don't have an Rh antigen on your red blood cells.  Why would that imply alien intervention?

Spinner

Quote from: Freyja on August 11, 2015, 10:19:49 PM
Sounds as swarmy as ever to me....even more so in stereo!!
Haha! I first read that as "smarmy."  Oops. But, actually, he is.

Lilith

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 11, 2015, 10:14:47 PM
I'm sorry but it needs to be said. You are like the sweetest lady on the internet. I love your good vibes.  ;D

:-*

Kevin Sorbo

Quote from: ChandlersDad on August 11, 2015, 10:32:30 PM
Thanks for the totally irrelevant post, as usual. Isn't there some extreme right wing fundamentalist Christian forum you could be posting in? You know, somewhere where other posters are Bible thumpers like you?

You're a fundamentalist Christian, too, ChandlersDad. You just don't know it yet. Let's take a journey together.  :)

WhiteCrow

Quote from: chefist on August 11, 2015, 10:31:07 PM
It has James Woods...who is a documented genius...

Seems like everyone is a genius lately .... Next thing, someone is going call Dave genius for saying MV is a genius.

Wednesday

Quote from: coaster on August 11, 2015, 10:28:16 PM
Every time Art mentions the movie Contact, I get the urge to watch it again. Fun movie.
Contact is regularly on cable on one of the Encore channels lately on Sunday mornings. I re-watched it and really could notice that Foster and McConaughey lack on-screen chemistry. Actor William Fichtner is so underrated as the blind SETI researcher Kent (Kent Cullers in real life), IMHO.

Robert

OK, Leo Ashcraft, now give me reason to believe rhesus factor is any more interesting in that regard than many other antigenic markers.

Oculary

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 11, 2015, 10:36:07 PM
Rh- just means you don't have an Rh antigen on your red blood cells.  Why would that imply alien intervention?

Alien Antigen is a great band name

Quote from: Kevin Sorbo on August 11, 2015, 10:36:39 PM
You're a fundamentalist Christian, too, ChandlersDad. You just don't know it yet. Let's take a journey together.  :)

chefist

Marilu Henner has a photographic memory! Some great tv show documentaries showing her skills...amazing...

coaster

That hello holiday commercial rubs me the wrong way.

ChandlersDad

Quote from: Kevin Sorbo on August 11, 2015, 10:36:39 PM

Stop insulting me. I had a higher IQ than you when I was just a fetus.

zeebo

I'm staying out of chat tonite since I want to focus on this show but just gotta drop in and say what a pleasure it is to hear such informed and intelligent technical questions.  I'd almost forgotton after so many cringe-inducing Noorie moments, especially with scientists who were way over his head.  This is great Art!

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on August 11, 2015, 10:33:57 PM
It does seem like we all get older but we never get newer stories.

I think it's because in the early days of MITD they're staying pretty conservative with their bookings meaning they're having a lot of the old classic guests and topics on. I think there's got to be a lot of new interesting guests out there. For instance someone like a Paul Stonehill (the Russian UFO guy) or some of their out of the box bookings like the astral projection guys or geologists lately will come out of nowhere and captivate me.

But I think all of us hardcore fans can sing along with this interview tonight. But that's okay. It's good for the 95% that don't know and haven't heard everything already.