• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Father Jack

In my younger days I was a bit of an asshole. Now in my seventies, my assholeism has largely diminished and I'm very seldom given to assholery. Perhaps it was that way with Art. Things change a lot when you put this many miles on your odometer.

MV/Liberace!

The old GabCast notification system is no longer in place. Going forward, GabCast notifications will be handled exclusively by email rather than internal BG private messages. If you want to be notified when there is a new GabCast episode coming up, you'll need to subscribe to the following email list:

http://eepurl.com/dupJjP

ponyboysunset

Listening to Art Bell and John Lear from '94. While I like the new host of MITD why is it that none of the hosts or shows come even close to this? There was a sound in the 90s that was radio to me. I really hope Premier releases the old coast catalog because I will gladly shell out money for Art Bell I haven't heard.

Hells Mole

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 11, 2018, 08:11:08 AM
Listening to Art Bell and John Lear from '94. While I like the new host of MITD why is it that none of the hosts or shows come even close to this? There was a sound in the 90s that was radio to me. I really hope Premier releases the old coast catalog because I will gladly shell out money for Art Bell I haven't heard.

It's true.  Nothing compares.  It's so strange how Art always sounded so engaged and just so damn good and passionate on the air and then he'd quit over all kinds of stuff and stay gone for a long time.  Midnight in the Desert I thought was going really well, and he seemed to think and act so too.  Good mood every night, more or less, sounding great, then seeya later!  It was so strange how someone could be so at home and so perfect in the studio and say all that stuff about his deep love of radio and just walk away again and again.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Hells Mole on May 11, 2018, 08:39:02 AM
It's true.  Nothing compares.  It's so strange how Art always sounded so engaged and just so damn good and passionate on the air and then he'd quit over all kinds of stuff and stay gone for a long time.  Midnight in the Desert I thought was going really well, and he seemed to think and act so too.  Good mood every night, more or less, sounding great, then seeya later!  It was so strange how someone could be so at home and so perfect in the studio and say all that stuff about his deep love of radio and just walk away again and again.
It will always be a mystery. I am more engaged in this interview than anything I have heard in years. John Lear is so believable too. I don't even care if I am listening to a scripted play they executed it perfectly. Not saying that is what it was but damn, I am hanging on this guy's every word. Art knew exactly what questions to ask. Well at least we have an extensive library to pull from.

Metron2267

Quote from: Hells Mole on May 11, 2018, 08:39:02 AM

If you've watched his periscoped feeds you know that there was significant prep, caffeine, and smokes that went into achieving that 5 night a week state of engaged but inquisitive alertness. Ever hear Art nod off over the years? Me neither.

Overnight radio is a grinder, even if one has vampiric sleep cycles and it takes a mortuary quiet domicile to sustain sleep after the sun and every other day cycle human gets going.

We heard the same thing happen to Hoaxie as his even later night gig began to suck the life out of him. First it was the reruns, then "Dr." Falkow came in to sub for him, then the comments section on TOSOM were disabled, he begged off to finish his next book,  and now he's on twice over the weekend.

Old guys just lose the stamina for this sort of grind, and some others too.

;)

Toss in some wicked bad COPD and your answer should become obvious.

Metron2267

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 07, 2018, 05:37:57 AM
If you click on her profile, you can see that her profile picture is animated. Art holding the baby.  :'(

I do feel really bad for her, and her kiddos.

Thanks for sharing that, ditto on feeling terrible for her and the kids.

I hope she has rellies nearby to help her get through this.

Jackstar

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 11, 2018, 08:11:08 AM
While I like the new host of MITD why is it that none of the hosts or shows come even close to this?

Anyone good and real and audible gets taken out. Think about it.

Who killed Kennedy?

Nebraska888

Quote from: creepygreenlight on May 09, 2018, 09:20:39 PM
I hope it never ends.  One of the best things ever is to tune into a random late night AM station on a weekend and hear an old Art Bell show.  I don't even listen to Noory anymore, it's simply impossible.  Coast To Coast AM is forever Art Bell for me and it would be nice for future generations of radio kiddos to hear the original show as it was meant to be.

Art was an unapologetic asshole and that's exactly why he was successful in life, just like many other "very successful" (popular) people.  If Art had been a "nice guy" and a "good father" as many of you here seem to desire then most likely you would never have even known he existed because he would have stayed with his first wife and settled down into a nice comfortable mediocre life like most other "good fathers" do.  He never would have reached the levels of dedication and success in radio that he did.

Do yourself a favor and read "The Art of Talk" if you haven't already, it'll help you understand him much better.  It did for me, at least.  His life made a lot more sense to me after reading that book.  It seems like a lot of posters here just don't "understand" the type of person he was.

Yes, I love listening to KFAB on Saturday nights to Somewhere In Time......classic!

And, your comments concerning the unconventional Art Bell are so correct.  Well said!

Nebraska888

Quote from: albrecht on May 09, 2018, 11:40:42 PM
Was bingeing Malachi Martin n Art. Interesting comments by Father Martin AND Art with regard to suicide and doctor assisted suicide and 'palative medicine' that 'hastens but does not cause death,' homosexuality, trannies, pedos, and stuff. Some more interesting now both dead and the more unsavory and bad events in Art's and MM's lives, organizations, and drama. And listening to predictions and politics of MM etc.  RIP Both.
ps: MM says "he went beyond the DATA!" Pulling an RCH with regard to Jung. Ha.

I, too, did the same binge.  Excellent stuff.

Metron2267

Quote from: Nebraska888 on May 11, 2018, 10:39:37 AM
Yes, I love listening to KFAB on Saturday nights to Somewhere In Time......classic!

And, your comments concerning the unconventional Art Bell are so correct.  Well said!

Question, when did they stop the KFAB "comment line" answering machine call-in show.

I thought it was pretty unique for low budget "local" radio on a clear channel.

Nebraska888

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 11, 2018, 10:44:00 AM
Question, when did they stop the KFAB "comment line" answering machine call-in show.

I thought it was pretty unique for low budget "local" radio on a clear channel.

That has been gone for awhile....however, I do think the mid-morning host (can't think of his name at the moment) takes a few
calls.

Metron2267

Quote from: Nebraska888 on May 11, 2018, 10:49:25 AM
That has been gone for awhile....however, I do think the mid-morning host (can't think of his name at the moment) takes a few
calls.

It was weirdly non-interactive, like lurking someone's party line.

That said, callers certainly had safe harbor to gently gripe about almost anything and not be challenged.

It was like the old Nitecaps show, minus the Hammond organ tunes.

Tinfoil_Helm

I said it in the other thread, but after listening to Heather's sob session, I somehow have an even LOWER opinion of her.  She said she skipped out on Art's funeral because she didn't want to steal the spotlight is some next level shit.  What a rotten human being.  Good riddance.

Metron2267

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on May 11, 2018, 11:30:24 AM
I said it in the other thread, but after listening to Heather's sob session, I somehow have an even LOWER opinion of her.  She said she skipped out on Art's funeral because she didn't want to steal the spotlight is some next level shit.  What a rotten human being.  Good riddance.

Your wellspring of compassion is ephemeral at best - midnight in the desert of human spite.

Grow up.

Father Jack

Quote from: Bluejay on May 11, 2018, 04:51:15 PM
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Still waiting on the toxicology results (assuming they're ever made public). My wife used to be a hospital lab tech and says that toxicology results can be had within a few hours. Can't think of why his should take so long unless there's a big backlog.

whoozit

Quote from: Father Jack on May 11, 2018, 05:08:42 PM
Still waiting on the toxicology results (assuming they're ever made public). My wife used to be a hospital lab tech and says that toxicology results can be had within a few hours. Can't think of why his should take so long unless there's a big backlog.
The tests for witchcraft take longer.

Ted Baxter

I have a good idea why don't you let Art Bell rest in peace and comment on his "somewhere in time programs every Saturday night....Art is alive if u just take the time to listen ......

plumwalrus

It has been a month since we learned Art passed. I'm coming out of lurkdom to add another voice to those wishing his immediate family and true friends some peace and strength.

Corona Kitty

https://youtu.be/1qg_t4BDauM

I hope you all certainly enjoy this one.

bellNwhistle

You can watch this for free on the Hoopla library app.
I did a search for Art and this came up. I think he was talking about this before Heather took over.

*Im told its on Netflix as well.  8)

albrecht

Quote from: username on May 14, 2018, 03:39:13 PM
https://youtu.be/1qg_t4BDauM

I hope you all certainly enjoy this one.
Good job. What Generation and Year was Art's Firebird? What happened to it? And who was the woman, who has passed, who had the website against Art Bell about him euthanasing his cats and posting 'monkey-faces' on his children on her website? I loved the story of how she got her back. And the whole ebay deal! Classic and bizarre. Evy? Ivy? on waybackmachine?

Bonanza Pilot

Quote from: albrecht on May 14, 2018, 05:32:53 PM
Good job. What Generation and Year was Art's Firebird? What happened to it? And who was the woman, who has passed, who had the website against Art Bell about him euthanasing his cats and posting 'monkey-faces' on his children on her website? I loved the story of how she got her back. And the whole ebay deal! Classic and bizarre. Evy? Ivy? on waybackmachine?

Art had a black 1998 or 1999 Tran-Am. I remember seeing pictures of it and I drove a 1999 Trans-Am Firehawk at the time. I now own a 2001 Tran-Am WS6. Great cars.

It's considered a 4th generation. 1993-2002 are 4th Gens. 93-97 they had a 275HP LT1, 98-02 they had a 350HP LS1 and different looking front end.

paladin1991

Quote from: Bonanza Pilot on May 14, 2018, 07:44:58 PM
Art had a black 1998 or 1999 Tran-Am. I remember seeing pictures of it and I drove a 1999 Trans-Am Firehawk at the time. I now own a 2001 Tran-Am WS6. Great cars.

It's considered a 4th generation. 1993-2002 are 4th Gens. 93-97 they had a 275HP LT1, 98-02 they had a 350HP LS1 and different looking front end.

Thanks for sharing.  I don't think anybody cares about your car.  Just sayin.

Rix Gins

Happy birthday, paladin!

Corona Kitty

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 15, 2018, 12:20:46 AM

Haha damn.

Lunger

I'd like to hear more about the transmission.

Bonanza Pilot

Seemed like a perfectly reasonable way to answer a question relating to Art's Trans-Am...I remembered it because I owned one at the time he was talking about his. You know what they say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You aids riddled cunt.