• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Quote from: Chefist on December 10, 2016, 01:43:51 PM
This is for those who listen to FM radio at home and want the best reception. I bought and installed this loop FM antenna and am amazed at the signal strength and reception quality. It's only $20...
Cool, what's the name or model # ?   Does it use a loaded coil ?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 11, 2016, 02:32:19 AM
You mean there's a reasonable explanation for it? Can you explain?
That's Javascript that is accessing the DOM (Document Object Model). The easiest way to explain it is the document model is laid out in what is called the document tree. The nodes would be the equivalent of the leaves of the tree. There are parent nodes and child nodes that denote a hierarchical layout to the document. This is used to access elements of the document.
An explanation with pics follows here:  http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/javascript/dombasics

Sorry that response took so long, my system went into file I/O lock.

norland2424

Quote from: /dev/null on December 11, 2016, 02:46:31 AM
That's Javascript that is accessing the DOM (Document Object Model). The easiest way to explain it is the document model is laid out in what is called the document tree. The nodes would be the equivalent of the leaves of the tree. There are parent nodes and child nodes that denote a hierarchical layout to the document. This is used to access elements of the document.
An explanation with pics follows here:  http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/javascript/dombasics

pretty much like Master/slave when talking about computer hardware

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: /dev/null on December 11, 2016, 02:46:31 AM

No worries. Thanks! I get it. At least we can eliminate that lead.  ;)

Quote from: norland2424 on December 11, 2016, 02:58:43 AM
pretty much like Master/slave when talking about computer hardware
The concept is very close to hardware Master Slave, or a '1 to many' relationship in a database.

Take a look at this if you plan on buying an Android device for someone for Christmas... .
https://www.grahamcluley.com/android-malware-preinstalled/

These are mainly off- brand cheap devices.

albrecht

For anyone worried about identity fraud, stalkers, or just want a bit of privacy no guarantee because there are other websites, sources, and methods (and many records are public by laws) but one site that contains a lot of basic information about you offers a way to opt-out so someone searching your name won't find any info. Opt-out takes a few days to process but appears to work (for that site,) the records they scan are mostly public records so someone would still be able, likely, to find out information- but maybe takes them a bit more time and effort.
http://www.familytreenow.com/optout

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on January 17, 2017, 03:28:48 PM
For anyone worried about identity fraud, stalkers, or just want a bit of privacy no guarantee because there are other websites, sources, and methods (and many records are public by laws) but one site that contains a lot of basic information about you offers a way to opt-out so someone searching your name won't find any info. Opt-out takes a few days to process but appears to work (for that site,) the records they scan are mostly public records so someone would still be able, likely, to find out information- but maybe takes them a bit more time and effort.
http://www.familytreenow.com/optout
Thanks albrecht, I'll check it out.  :) I just now did a quick search and found this site: https://familytreenow.pissedconsumer.com/ Which has some negative feedback.

I have no idea who all the pissedconsumers are, I've never heard of that site.

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 17, 2017, 10:09:08 PM
Thanks albrecht, I'll check it out.  :) I just now did a quick search and found this site: https://familytreenow.pissedconsumer.com/ Which has some negative feedback.

I have no idea who all the pissedconsumers are, I've never heard of that site.
Interesting.  The opt-out "appears" to have worked for me and some others but as I said still suspect and some of those reviews are bad. I did it out of curiosity,  mainly. But also concerned about this crap, for bad purposes. Though for family research etc public records,  old SS records (not NAZI, silly,) church, and vessel records are good for filling in data for family research etc. BUT with so many scammers etc I think should be only for dead people and always opt-out, except for criminal searchds. And at least take some effort beyond some free clicks. But a 'brave new world.'
Hope my post doesnt result in MORE scams or unwanted calls, or worse. So all, don't do without checking or whatever....

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on January 18, 2017, 12:08:30 AM
Interesting.  The opt-out "appears" to have worked for me and some others but as I said still suspect and some of those reviews are bad. I did it out of curiosity,  mainly. But also concerned about this crap, for bad purposes. Though for family research etc public records,  old SS records (not NAZI, silly,) church, and vessel records are good for filling in data for family research etc. BUT with so many scammers etc I think should be only for dead people and always opt-out, except for criminal searchds. And at least take some effort beyond some free clicks. But a 'brave new world.'
Hope my post doesnt result in MORE scams or unwanted calls, or worse. So all, don't do without checking or whatever....
hmm. "If it sounds too good to be true" ...

But I started out looking for my dead brother (didn't get much of anything) So I looked up my dead Dad. I was there under "Possible Relatives" No clue where my other siblings went, but Mom and I were listed.

I clicked on my name and let me tell you they had my previous addresses all fucked up. Some weren't there, some were the right starting date but they had me out at all different times. Others were starting on the wrong date, but having me out wrong (or never out) Apparently, I had 5 or 6 residences simultaneously. It was all wrong. But then again, I "locked" or "froze" my credit reporting accounts looong ago (thanks, Clark Howard!) I believe this bamboozled the easy tracking.

I didn't poke around much more but I've never heard of this company "familytreenow" Do you happen to know who might own it?

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 18, 2017, 12:39:20 AM
hmm. "If it sounds too good to be true" ...

But I started out looking for my dead brother (didn't get much of anything) So I looked up my dead Dad. I was there under "Possible Relatives" No clue where my other siblings went, but Mom and I were listed.

I clicked on my name and let me tell you they had all my previous addresses all fucked up. Some were the right starting date but they had me out at all different times. Others were starting on the wrong date, but having me out wrong (or never out) Apparently, I had 5 or 6 residences simultaneously. It was all wrong. But then again, I "locked" or "froze" my credit reporting accounts looong ago (thanks, Clark Howard!) I believe this bamboozled the easy tracking.

I didn't poke around much more but I've never heard of this company "familytreenow" Do you happen to know who might own it?
No, but it got various "local" news segments recently and several articles then in papers. Also suspect, but thought id check out n found on free search more than a HR gal I know whose company uses a paid service or google and local internet accessible public records. So?  But I have more unique name but did some random on others n with a few quicker ck tweaks saw them, family, adddresses etc. The other one that intrigued me was, over Christmas, so many commercials for "dna" and "give as gift" to "find your roots." Or the billboard "who's your daddy?" In a suspect neighborhood. What do those companies do with the info? What implications for others? What family problems? What, potential, political uses?

LavaBit is back - new and improved. If you have an old account from before they protected their users from abc agencies errm...    shut down, it looks like it will still be usable with an upgrade.
https://lavabit.com/

Ciardelo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 07, 2017, 03:39:27 AM
LavaBit is back - new and improved. If you have an old account from before they protected their users from abc agencies errm...    shut down, it looks like it will still be usable with an upgrade.
https://lavabit.com/

Um... "the peaceful transition of power" is a construct to keep the slave human resources quiet. There NEVER is a "transition of power."

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 07, 2017, 03:45:55 AM
Um... "the peaceful transition of power" is a construct to keep the slave human resources quiet. There NEVER is a "transition of power."

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
LOL - this is why it's soooooooooo important to do your own research.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 08, 2017, 02:27:17 PM
LOL - this is why it's soooooooooo important to do your own research.  ;)
Sorta a shot in the dark, but have you (or anyone here more tech rather than legal or conspiracy) ever investigated or have "info" on the INSLAW and PROMIS stuff? It seems forgotten but considering later things a beginning, maybe, of the current "things?" Any solid docs or sites for it, with more drilling down on it- and not get too broad or in the weeds?

Bomar

Hey Guys,...

I have a question...

Is there a new bios/cmos virus running around that slows windows with page faults?...

It appears to be almost hijacked...

Nothing has appeared on my antivirus software... or in my Task Manager running in the background...

I have run into this problem on only one of my multi-OS computers, I use this one for storage...

Before I reformat the hard drive and reinstall the windows programs, I thought I might ask an open question...

I hate to give up, but this is a stumper...

I have already reinstalled one partition, and the problem there cleared up, so it is not a hardware problem...

But I have 3 partitions to go...

And I hate not knowing the cause...

Thanks...

Bomar

Bomar

Quote from: albrecht on February 09, 2017, 12:21:30 AM

Anyone here more tech rather than legal or conspiracy) ever investigated or have "info" on the INSLAW and PROMIS stuff?

Allie,...

Four words, "Rebekah Roth's Methodical Illusion"...

Bomar

Ciardelo

Quote from: Bomar on February 09, 2017, 04:39:56 PM
Hey Guys,...

I have a question...

Is there a new bios/cmos virus running around that slows windows with page faults?...

It appears to be almost hijacked...

Nothing has appeared on my antivirus software... or in my Task Manager running in the background...

I have run into this problem on only one of my multi-OS computers, I use this one for storage...

Before I reformat the hard drive and reinstall the windows programs, I thought I might ask an open question...

I hate to give up, but this is a stumper...

I have already reinstalled one partition, and the problem there cleared up, so it is not a hardware problem...

But I have 3 partitions to go...

And I hate not knowing the cause...

Thanks...

Bomar

Hi Bomar, this is way too little information to narrow down the problem.
Were you able to fix it on your own ?

Some information that would help - actually required - would be:
Operating system + version + service pack #'s
File system being used
A snapshot of your partition layout.
A snapshot or copy of all the BSOD info, exactly formatted as you see it on the screen.
The year, make, model of the system + Any additional hardware installed - graphics cards etc.

This is not information you want to be posting online in a public forum though.

You may want to check this post, and run the memory diagnostics as it almost sounds like an allocation problem. Possibly 'dangling pointers'. (Yes, that's a real, technical term.)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Run all the checks listed on that page that you can.
0x50 is one of the most common BSOD errors.

From the page:
" Cause
Bug check 0x50 can occur after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Another possible cause is the installation of a faulty system service or faulty driver code.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

As to the BIOS corruption, yes, since 2007, Bios malware has been freely circulating. What better place to hide malware. Also, since the introduction of Intel ME (2009), direct control of your system is possible remotely. AMD has it too. It also could have been caused by something as simple as a hard powerdown. (Holding down the power button until the system shuts off.)

Like I mentioned, to diagnose a problem like this, detailed info is required. Try the options you can - above.
I've dealt with this before, too.

pate

"RASTERS" 'n "RASTERIZATION"

Not shure if microphone or a schema?

Bothans tasty if onion dr' If A. Tiev/Kiev...

Ciardelo

How do block a certain website using my host(s?) file?

I have decided to boycott IMDB because of their erroneous decision to close down the message forums. Power to the People!

I have a dim memory of reading about using the host file to block websites--am I remembering that right?

Yes, I know I can just "not click" on IMDB links, but i find myself looking up movies fairly often and would like to guard against accidental clicks. Safety first!

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 27, 2017, 11:02:29 AM
How do block a certain website using my host(s?) file?

I have decided to boycott IMDB because of their erroneous decision to close down the message forums. Power to the People!

I have a dim memory of reading about using the host file to block websites--am I remembering that right?

MV did talk about updating/replacing your host file to prevent your computer from connecting to a large number of malicious sites...  It was either here on the forum or on the Spec Sheet or both.

This is my goto website, and was last updated Feb 22 2017.  It has #commented instructions embedded in the host file itself if you want to read that first and see if it is what you are looking for, and you can add sites of your choosing to the list:

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/

wr250

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 27, 2017, 05:26:32 PM
MV did talk about updating/replacing your host file to prevent your computer from connecting to a large number of malicious sites...  It was either here on the forum or on the Spec Sheet or both.

This is my goto website, and was last updated Feb 22 2017.  It has #commented instructions embedded in the host file itself if you want to read that first and see if it is what you are looking for, and you can add sites of your choosing to the list:

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/

note: the host file will not block some (or possible any) of $micro$ofts domains . they must be blocked at a edge router (the router that goes to the internet). this is due to $micro$oft hard coding ips into the update and other $m$ software, effectively bypassing the hosts file.