• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Favorite TV Shows

Started by Marc.Knight, February 19, 2011, 09:20:50 PM

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 28, 2011, 10:20:45 AM
       Because of it's initial low ratings, St Elsewhere was supposed to be cancelled in the spring of '83, but somehow got a reprieve and ended up being on until 1988. In today's TV climate..it doesn't get that second chance-probably gets axed after 13 weeks.

You're so right.  If something doesn't find an audience and perform immediately, it's axed and replaced with some low-budget crapola that's off the air itself after 13 weeks.

One of my favorite shows of the last few years was the American remake of the British series Life on Mars.  I've only seen one episode of the Bristish version so can't compare but loved, loved, loved the American version.  Crime, science fiction, and the gorgeous Jason O'Mara all in one package, wrapped up with good writing and good acting and topped with music from the early 1970's.  I couldn't have been happier.

Gone!  Thanks ABC.  Another season of The Bachelor, anyone?   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Lovely Bones on September 29, 2011, 08:15:48 AM

One of my favorite shows of the last few years was the American remake of the British series Life on Mars.  I've only seen one episode of the Bristish version so can't compare but loved, loved, loved the American version.  Crime, science fiction, and the gorgeous Jason O'Mara all in one package, wrapped up with good writing and good acting and topped with music from the early 1970's.  I couldn't have been happier.

Gone!  Thanks ABC.  Another season of The Bachelor, anyone?   

Life On Mars was one of the few shows of that past 15 years or so that I actually liked and found consistently interesting and creative.

Hmmm...interesting and creative? No wonder it never had a chance. Those qualities are anathema to broadcast TV. Let's have dancing with Grade Z celebrities.

Quote from: JustOneFix on February 20, 2011, 06:38:56 PM

*gush*

It's tough to make a list of all time favorites, but here's a few that stick out to me:

Millennium
Max Headroom
Heroes (Season 1 only tyvm)
Sledgehammer
The Flash
X-Files
V (original)

These days I'm watching River Monsters, Storage Wars, The First 48 and Futurama pretty consistently.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on September 29, 2011, 10:02:36 AM

It's tough to make a list of all time favorites, but here's a few that stick out to me:

Millennium
Max Headroom
Heroes (Season 1 only tyvm)
Sledgehammer
The Flash
X-Files
V (original)

Props to the first item on your list, and obviously the last. :)

rolindos

The Invaders - from the '60's was a very creepy show

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on September 28, 2011, 08:28:43 AM
Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland in her prime made it a great film.

That's supposedly a body double for Britt...but who cares,I ain't complaining.

And the fucking remake. UGH. Pass the barf bag...this remake of "Straw Dogs" is another in a long line of messing with the classics.

If they ever remake "A Clockwork Orange" then I'll become a mass murderer.

Morgus

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on September 28, 2011, 08:28:43 AM
Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland in her prime made it a great film.
weren't they both in the James Bond movie "The Man with the Golden Gun" ?

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 29, 2011, 01:24:44 PM
          And the fucking remake. UGH. Pass the barf bag...this remake of "Straw Dogs" is another in a long line of messing with the classics.

Nicolas Cage + bee attack = comedy gold.  I've yet to see the remake of "Straw Dogs", but was curious about it.  It seems all these rehashes just connect the dots of the story without hitting the right notes of subtlety that made them classics in the first place.

If they ever remake "A Clockwork Orange" then I'll become a mass murderer.

I watch ACO at least once a year, and probably use the phrase "a bit of the old in and out" in daily conversation for a month afterward. :)

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 29, 2011, 01:24:44 PM

You've likely spared me the barfing.  The original (with one of my favorites, Hoffman) was hands down one of the most intensely frightening movies I've ever seen.  Guess I'll save my money on the remake. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Lovely Bones on September 29, 2011, 04:58:34 PM
You've likely spared me the barfing.  The original (with one of my favorites, Hoffman) was hands down one of the most intensely frightening movies I've ever seen.  Guess I'll save my money on the remake.

In all fairness, I haven't seen the Straw Dogs remake yet...OK, enough with the fairness, the very idea and gall of remaking that truly terrific film makes me annoyed. It has to suck.

Another remake that really pissed me off was"The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3"...there was a lame 1998 TV movie version that sucked...but the big budget one a few years back with Vinnie Barbarino was vile. Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw were ideal choices...Washington and Travolta were choices made by unimaginative Hollywood slimeballs-the 'splosions added for the double digit IQ's that fill Cineplexes these days.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on September 29, 2011, 02:33:43 PM

I watch ACO at least once a year, and probably use the phrase "a bit of the old in and out" in daily conversation for a month afterward. :)

I intersperse lines from the film all the time myself, "Victim of the Modern Age!" being a favorite.

I used to work a hockey rink and I'd put the soundtrack on the PA during down time...with the usual response of "What the Hell is that" from hammerheads.

b_dubb

what's sad is that most won't know that Straw Dogs is a remake.  much like the Whicker Man remake.  fucking hollywood

noory sucks

The General

Quote from: b_dubb on September 17, 2011, 12:17:43 PM
in general (pardon the expression) ... can you still find deals at thrift stores and antique shops? it seems to me that once thrifting became "vogue" that thrift stores turned "vintage" and the prices went up 500%.  i don't even bother now.  i just head to the clearance rack at REI and the occasional sale at Kohl's for clothes.  i might need to buy some furniture soon but i might just go the lame cracker route and buy Ikea.  i just really like masterfully shaped laminate board and quadrangles
Yeah!  It's not AS good as it used to be, but hell yes.  I buy stuff and sell it on ebay all the time.  I repair guitars for a living so I'm always buying broken guitars and fixing them up to sell.  Or keep.  This last round of stuff I sold was pretty good.  Made about $300 on a handful of items.  I collect stuff too, so I do keep a lot of it.

aragon

Dexter, Prison Break and Modern Family are good TV shows to watch.

redgiant

Of all time: (not in any order)
X-files
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Northern Exposure
Lost
Red Dwarf
Night Gallery (the original)
V the original series
Scoobie Doo (animation way back)
Fire Fly
The original Star Trek-and Next Generation
The Commander Tom show after school-out of Rochester New York.

Never got into Dr. Who...

1. Magnum P.I.
2. Simon & Simon
3. X-Files
4. The A-Team
5. South Park

I know I'm outta date. Don't subscribe to cable or dish and I don't watch tv. Just Hulu and Amazon on the p.c. I don't have any interest in shows that are on today. I could give a fuck less about cheating housewives or these insane reality shows all over the place today.

Eddie Coyle

The Bold Ones
    The Streets of San Francisco
    In Search Of...
    St Elsewhere
    Late Night With David Letterman
    Get A Life
    Howard Stern(WWOR show 1990-92)
    Mr Show
    South Park
    The Sopranos

cynusalisa

Mine favorite TV Shows are:-
Fringe
Friends
The Office
Vampire Diaries
True Blood
Dexter..................

Download ER online with high quality including latest gossips, hot videos & much more.
Here you can watch the office series with high quality..

Chuck

just finished viewing the last two episodes of the series... will prolly watch it all again when Netflix freebie streams it.

Just watched Twin Peaks couple months ago.  Pretty damn impressive.

Sacarecrow & Mrs. King
Spaced
first few seasons of X-Files
Sanford & Son
Barney Miller
Cheers
The Muppet Show
The original Gundam/MSG
Midnight Caller

ksm32

Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Police Squad.   
The food network, I make the best lobster bisque in the world. unless you find a long hair in it...  sorry.

Just started watching Sons of Anarchy (so far, meh) and Breaking Bad, which is all kinds of kickass.

Dr. MD MD

I hadn’t had cable TV for a few years but got a chance to watch some this summer and I came across this show called Supernatural. It’s been on for about a dozen seasons and someone did recommend it to me years ago but at the time it just seemed like another “me too” show in a glut of paranormal themed shows so I never looked into it. Boy, was I wrong! This show presents the whole metaphysics of the bible as if it was 100% factually true. Two brothers travelling around in black ‘66 Impala, battling demons and commuing with angels. God even makes an appearance at one point but he’s having a bit of an identity crisis. It’s awesome and very entertaining. I highly recommend it.

Lilith

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 13, 2018, 09:11:01 AM
I hadn’t had cable TV for a few years but got a chance to watch some this summer and I came across this show called Supernatural. It’s been on for about a dozen seasons and someone did recommend it to me years ago but at the time it just seemed like another “me too” show in a glut of paranormal themed shows so I never looked into it. Boy, was I wrong! This show presents the whole metaphysics of the bible as if it was 100% factually true. Two brothers travelling around in black ‘66 Impala, battling demons and commuing with angels. God even makes an appearance at one point but he’s having a bit of an identity crisis. It’s awesome and very entertaining. I highly recommend it.

One of my real life friends watches that.  Maybe I'll give it a watch.

Metron2267

Wow - 14 seasons!

Looks like some of the schtick was influenced by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JXLz9AaOo

Dr. MD MD

Swamp Thing. So far, so good.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 08, 2019, 09:48:23 PM
Swamp Thing. So far, so good.
Any Adrienne Barbeau cameo?  She was a looker back in the day and not afraid to exploit her 'advantages' in film.