• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Eddie Coyle

What strikes me about the "Occupy Boston" crowd is the age disparity. I walk by this crowd every day, and 2/3 appear to be college age, and Boston has no shortage of idealists who have all the answers. Of the remaining third, at least half of them are obviously over 50 and many of them are transparently trying recapture their youth, all that's missing are McGovern signs and "No Nukes" stickers.

My age group(36) is completely underepresented. Probably less than 15% overall. I largely sympathize with OWS goals and demands...that said, they are achieving nothing in the big picture. Solipsistic and naive. These pawns will continue to elect Wall Street friendly pols, and anybody who thinks the Democratic Party isn't beholden to Wall Street is fooling themself. Matt Taibbi has published many article about Obama's endless connections and ties. And the biggest Dem donors, like a Bill Gates, have sent as many jobs overseas as any crooked Republican fatcat.

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 26, 2011, 08:50:10 PM

.....These pawns will continue to elect Wall Street friendly pols, and anybody who thinks the Democratic Party isn't beholden to Wall Street is fooling themself. Matt Taibbi has published many article about Obama's endless connections and ties. And the biggest Dem donors, like a Bill Gates, have sent as many jobs overseas as any crooked Republican fatcat.

The fix is certainly in, isn't it? 
Republicans, Democrats.  It's all just one big party.  And by PARTY I mean hookers and coke.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on October 26, 2011, 09:11:48 PM
The fix is certainly in, isn't it? 
Republicans, Democrats.  It's all just one big party.  And by PARTY I mean hookers and coke.
A party finished with a collective circle jerk, no less. And we're expected to be the housekeeping staff that is supposed to clean their mess, an egg drop soup like substance spewed all over the floor.

Avi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 26, 2011, 08:50:10 PM
These pawns will continue to elect Wall Street friendly pols, and anybody who thinks the Democratic Party isn't beholden to Wall Street is fooling themself. Matt Taibbi has published many article about Obama's endless connections and ties. And the biggest Dem donors, like a Bill Gates, have sent as many jobs overseas as any crooked Republican fatcat.

Yes, I was referring to the Democrats as the "right-moderate poolitical machine," which is how they appear to me as an outside observer, and which I must not have conveyed. Certainly, they are as guilty as the Republican machine - maybe more, because they pretend to be something they're not. What is weird to me, too, as an outside observer, is the way in which politics here is framed as a Puritan morality play. In most other countries, politics is seen as a dirty but necessary business. If compromise is required, as it always is in parliamentary systems, it isn't the end of the world. Here, compromise is treated like an evil: "We're all going to go over the cliff! Aaaah!" People believe in their side of the phony divide with abject sincerity and conviction.

Americans tell me that they see what I'm describing, but they've become too cynical to care. Most, as we know, don't even bother to vote. Sadly, turn-out for local elections, which have the most direct effect on our lives, are minimal. Cynicism, however, takes the place of action, whatever our beliefs.

Class Day Lecture 2009: The Uniqueness of Humans

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Avi on October 26, 2011, 10:08:24 PM
Yes, I was referring to the Democrats as the "right-moderate poolitical machine," which is how they appear to me as an outside observer, and which I must not have conveyed. Certainly, they are as guilty as the Republican machine - maybe more, because they pretend to be something they're not. What is weird to me, too, as an outside observer, is the way in which politics here is framed as a Puritan morality play. In most other countries, politics is seen as a dirty but necessary business. If compromise is required, as it always is in parliamentary systems, it isn't the end of the world. Here, compromise is treated like an evil: "We're all going to go over the cliff! Aaaah!" People believe in their side of the phony divide with abject sincerity and conviction.

Americans tell me that they see what I'm describing, but they've become too cynical to care. Most, as we know, don't even bother to vote. Sadly, turn-out for local elections, which have the most direct effect on our lives, are minimal. Cynicism, however, takes the place of action, whatever our beliefs.

I completely agree and will confess to being pathologically cynical...but I do care, and hold my nose and vote. I've been fascinated by politics since I was young, and I'm the scion of the two most frighteningly apolitical parents imaginable. But I admit, I'm drawn to morbidity, some of my earliest memories are of serial killings(Atlanta Child Murders) international crisis(Iranian Hostage/USSR invading Afghanistan) Terrorism (Mountbatten's murder, Moro's murder)...and politics falls into that dark realm in my purview-and the 1980 Presidential Election is a great place to start.

Your point about local involvement couldn't be more right. I'm from an area notorious for producing pols...and even here, King Apathy has begun to rule. Roughly a 15% turnout for a local election...and the polling place was desolation row.

Avi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 26, 2011, 10:29:47 PM
     I completely agree and will confess to being pathologically cynical...but I do care, and hold my nose and vote. I've been fascinated by politics since I was young, and I'm the scion of the two most frighteningly apolitical parents imaginable. But I admit, I'm drawn to morbidity, some of my earliest memories are of serial killings(Atlanta Child Murders) international crisis(Iranian Hostage/USSR invading Afghanistan) Terrorism (Mountbatten's murder, Moro's murder)...and politics falls into that dark realm in my purview-and the 1980 Presidential Election is a great place to start.

Your point about local involvement couldn't be more right. I'm from an area notorious for producing pols...and even here, King Apathy has begun to rule. Roughly a 15% turnout for a local election...and the polling place was desolation row.

Yeah, but is your prostate house in order?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Avi on October 26, 2011, 11:41:40 PM
Yeah, but is your prostate house in order?
Yes...but I expect it to go at any min...whoops.

Avi

MV/Liberace!

anyone interested in co-hosting my podcast with me from time to time?  it would be best if you're someone who doesn't agree with me on much.  send me some audio of your voice. 

michaelvandeven@gmail.com

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on October 27, 2011, 11:46:28 AM
MV's avatar!
Where the hell is HAL? Why did he mess with the site?! or did he at all? I hope he's OK.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 27, 2011, 03:43:46 PM
Where the hell is HAL? Why did he mess with the site?! or did he at all? I hope he's OK.

hal messed with what site?  i'm confused here.

CoastCanuck

Here are 2 complaints (I'm in a whiny mood today).  Why does C2C website always list Friday guest as TBA?  Surely they would have someone booked in advance that they could advertise.  Also, I don't see why we have to wait until Friday to see the next week's lineup of shows.  Can't they do refresh the future lineup more often?   Thanks for letting me air my gripes, insignificant that they are.

Frys Girl

Quote from: HAL 9000 on October 27, 2011, 04:52:33 PM
Huh?
allow me to explain. when i tried to log into the site on the weekend, it said "women of CG" with a bunch of fat women hugging lol. then your avatar/headshot came up. It didn't make any sense but I didn't see anyone mention it. Now I see MV's avatar with your headshot and I thought it was related.

BobGrau

Quote from: CoastCanuck on October 27, 2011, 05:18:27 PM
Here are 2 complaints (I'm in a whiny mood today).  Why does C2C website always list Friday guest as TBA?  Surely they would have someone booked in advance that they could advertise.  Also, I don't see why we have to wait until Friday to see the next week's lineup of shows.  Can't they do refresh the future lineup more often?   Thanks for letting me air my gripes, insignificant that they are.

TBA - 'Tedious Bullshit Anyway'

Morgus

Quote from: CoastCanuck on October 27, 2011, 05:18:27 PM
Here are 2 complaints (I'm in a whiny mood today).  Why does C2C website always list Friday guest as TBA?  Surely they would have someone booked in advance that they could advertise. 
nah, its hard to get guests booked for noory nowadays.
they have to resort to dragging somebody off the street at the last minute on Fridays pretty often...  :P

M Knight

The General

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 27, 2011, 07:04:11 PM
allow me to explain. when i tried to log into the site on the weekend, it said "women of CG" with a bunch of fat women hugging lol. then your avatar/headshot came up. It didn't make any sense but I didn't see anyone mention it. Now I see MV's avatar with your headshot and I thought it was related.
Women of CG?  With a bunch of fat women hugging? 
I'm more confused than I was before. 

Quote from: The General on October 28, 2011, 02:44:59 PM
Women of CG?  With a bunch of fat women hugging? 
I'm more confused than I was before.

Maybe it was a preview of Leonard Nimoy's new book.  :P

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 27, 2011, 07:04:11 PM

Frys Girl may be Coastgab's version of the town crazy lady with a shotgun ( ;)), but I SAW IT TOO, and I don't drink. 

I don't remember exactly what it looked like, but there were two alternating images flashing on the page.  The first was the one labeled "Women of Coastgab" and had several cut-out photos of large women.  I don't think they were hugging, just haphazardly cut and pasted near each other. 

The second image was the face that used to be in Fort Rock's avatar, which HAL used for awhile, and is now in MV's avatar.  I think there was some odd text at the bottom of the page, that looked like it came from an IM session or something, but it didn't make enough sense to be memorable. 

I'm sure there's some sort of back story to all this.  I just concluded that the site had been hacked by Fort Rock, and judging by only a few of us seeing it, and it not being discussed, it couldn't have been down for more than a few minutes.

Avi

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on October 29, 2011, 03:53:47 PM
I don't remember exactly what it looked like, but there were two alternating images flashing on the page.  The first was the one labeled "Women of Coastgab" and had several cut-out photos of large women.  I don't think they were hugging, just haphazardly cut and pasted near each other. 

Yeah, my harem always hates it when they get outed like that.

I love apple cider ! ! !
no added sugar, preservatives or additives of course ;D

MV/Liberace!

hal didn't do anything.

curtis and i were doing some maintenance work on the forum the other night, and we decided to hack the forum ourselves.  yes, i think i'm probably the only website administrator in the world who does these things deliberately to his own website.  sometimes i'm bored.

if you'd like to see a video capture of the hack, view the attached video clip.

Eddie Coyle

These "freak" snowstorms in the Northeast are CLEARLY the work of CIA/Gov't trying to disrupt the OWS movement. They're using weather-altering machines, like the Chineseses did for the 2008 Olympics...man.

Avi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 30, 2011, 08:37:24 PM
These "freak" snowstorms in the Northeast are CLEARLY the work of CIA/Gov't trying to disrupt the OWS movement. They're using weather-altering machines, like the Chineseses did for the 2008 Olympics...man.

So that was you on C2C last night!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Avi on October 30, 2011, 08:46:37 PM
So that was you on C2C last night!
Far out man..and they did it on the 40th anniversary of Duane Allman's murder via the CIA as an extra kick in the nuts.
     The Man killed all of our rock stars,man...even John Denver, man.

The General

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on October 30, 2011, 08:37:05 PM
hal didn't do anything.

curtis and i were doing some maintenance work on the forum the other night, and we decided to hack the forum ourselves.  yes, i think i'm probably the only website administrator in the world who does these things deliberately to his own website.  sometimes i'm bored.

if you'd like to see a video capture of the hack, view the attached video clip.
nice work.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 30, 2011, 09:35:54 PM
     Far out man..and they did it on the 40th anniversary of Duane Allman's murder via the CIA as an extra kick in the nuts.
     The Man killed all of our rock stars,man...even John Denver, man.
I thought John Denver was high and didn't fill up the gastank before he took off? His death was a hit or is this sarcasm E.C.? :D