• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

MV/Liberace!

microsoft should stop mixing the letter B and the number 8 in their product keys in size 2 font.

MV/Liberace!

if you have windows 8 and miss your start menu, try this.  works great.

Juan

I've still got XP on an 8-year old Dell.  XP updates regularly.  I think Em Vee is right about the date.  Whether it would take advantage of more modern systems, I don't know.  I haven't had any real problems with Win7.

+10 on the mixing of B and 8 by Microsoft. Bastards.

Morgus

I find skipping every other Microsoft Windows release cycle works best.
I stuck with Windows XP from 2001 until last year to Windows 7, skipping Windows Vista completely.
Windows 7 has been better than XP for me after getting used to it and adding some good tweak/utility software to improve the program/menu system.
I figure avoid Windows 8 if possible and stick with Windows 7 as long as possible unless there is some hardware upgrade that really needs Windows 8 which is doubtful.
Unless you buy a new notebook PC that only comes with Windows 8 installed.

I have heard good things about Windows 8...once you get used to it.
Alot of it depends on how many cores your cpu has. If you have 1 or 2 cores XP does everything you need and is stable.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Em Vee on November 28, 2012, 10:31:07 PM
if you have windows 8 and miss your start menu, try this.  works great.

You're a fucking saint.  Thanks.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc knight on December 22, 2012, 09:43:14 PM

You're a fucking saint.  Thanks.

Yeah, it also boots you directly to the classic desktop (which I appreciate).

Sardondi

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 29, 2012, 06:15:41 PM
I have heard good things about Windows 8...once you get used to it.
Alot of it depends on how many cores your cpu has. If you have 1 or 2 cores XP does everything you need and is stable.

To me XP was the Golden Age of MS operating systems. Rock-solid and incredibly stable, it was ubiquitous, well-known, predictable and longer-lived than any other similar OS. I miss you, XP.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sardondi on December 23, 2012, 02:37:08 PM
To me XP was the Golden Age of MS operating systems. Rock-solid and incredibly stable, it was ubiquitous, well-known, predictable and longer-lived than any other similar OS. I miss you, XP.

XP didn't start that way though. It was a big disaster in the beginning.

Sardondi

But it evolved into a great OS, by which I mean reliable. Has any successor OS really been superior to XP? Two failed outright. And Vista? I dunno, but I get the feeling it isn't viewed as being as successful as XP. Windows 7 and 8? 7 has hardly been used long enough to matter, and 8 is just starting.

Juan

I have an 8-year old Dell running XP.  It runs 24-hours a day as the only remaining coastgab team computer on SETI at home.  When I find alien life and am a guest on Coast, I'll be sure to give a shout out to you haters.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 23, 2012, 03:49:04 PM
Waiting to see what Apple's next big thing is.

I've been wondering if the reason we haven't seen an Apple tv set is that Apple is going to work with LG to produce an OLED tv which would doubly knock out the competition.

An article on Yahoo says it makes 4k look tame.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/forget-4k-ultra-hd-tvs--i-want-an-oled-tv-230337960.html

Here's another one from Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelkanellos/2012/01/12/seven-reasons-why-oled-tvs-could-really-be-real/

A guy at Best Buy told me that they will be coming out in March, he also said the prices of current tvs will plummet once OLED hits the market. This article in Forbes says that we can expect prices for them to drop from $ 10k to $ 2k by 2015.

LG & Sony have announced that they will be the first to bring them to market with Sony using LG screens until they ramp up their own production.

When I buy tv, blue ray players or anything of that ilk, I buy Sony because consistently over the years they last and don't die like the Panasonic my gf's Dad did before he died. It lasted 6 months and died. My Sony tv is 12 years old and still going strong. My gf has my original and its 18 years old. My late friend Glenn had the first production number projection tv Sony ever made because he had bought so much stuff from them. It lasted 18 years and he only switched because they stopped making parts for the projector. Sony - still no baloney.

I'm gonna buy a flat screen wifi 60 inch Sony this year to use as a 2nd monitor for the Imac because I have trouble reading small print any more but once I see OLED dropping to $ 2k, I'll get that and give the flat screen to my gf.

I can remember going into Costco and seeing the first flat screens they have and they used to be about $ 5k 10 years ago. Now you can get 40 inch ones at Target for $ 250. First adopters always pay the price for being pioneers with new tech.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Falkie2013

Quote from: UFO Fill on December 24, 2012, 07:18:09 AM
I have an 8-year old Dell running XP.  It runs 24-hours a day as the only remaining coastgab team computer on SETI at home.  When I find alien life and am a guest on Coast, I'll be sure to give a shout out to you haters.

You don't have to use your Dell to find alien life.

Just do a test on Snoory.

I guess this would go here.  It is random and about technology and is on my mind.
Do you think continued advances in technology will eventually replace almost all jobs?
Sort of like robotics taking over, and we all know what the outcome of that always is!
I dunno though, I like robots. As long as they know the rules- "A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws."

I am serious about the first part of this statement, well, line two precisely.

Caruthers612

Alright, here's mine. Starting last year, in the fall, I began noticing that the internet seemed to be "slowing down." I kept wondering if it was just me, or if this was actually happening. For example, there was (still is) a noticeable delay when the browser tried to load pages. Same thing when clicking on links. The net has been very laggy in the last six months or so. Well, the other day I read an article on PhysOrg.com (I'm looking for it so I can post the link here) which confirmed that I was not going mad, this was really happening; the article explained that there has been at least a 7% slow down in internet speed worldwide owing to a stall in the growth of bandwidth. This is what I had assumed was happening, actually, that the amount of net traffic has continued to increase while the expansion of bandwidth has not kept pace.
           Whatever the causes of the current hold-up in bandwidth expansion, one assumes it is temporary. And there are various other promising developments like Google Fiber, for example, or Fujitsu's new data transfer protocal which they claim is thirty times faster than the current TCP. But for now, this slow down is a royal pain, and the way the net "stalls" when I click on something is driving me crazy. Really, what frustrates me is the knowledge that in South Korea their data transfer speeds are so fast you can 3D print a hooker in your hotel room while we putter along with our last gen status quo.

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 31, 2013, 05:16:40 PM
I guess this would go here.  It is random and about technology and is on my mind.
Do you think continued advances in technology will eventually replace almost all jobs?
Sort of like robotics taking over, and we all know what the outcome of that always is!
I dunno though, I like robots. As long as they know the rules- "A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws."

I am serious about the first part of this statement, well, line two precisely.
I hope they will program in Azimov's Laws of Robotics. But ,as with the drones I fear we will get 'Skynet'.That is if GMO's and weather modification doesn't get us first

Caruthers612

Me want. http://phys.org/news/2013-02-metaio-ar.html
          I don't expect this will be available on the Galaxy S4 I plan to buy when it comes out, but I hope I won't have to wait too long for it, at least on the phone itself. Whether there will eventually be AR glasses to go with it, who knows. I just know I'd like the option of watching The Walking Dead while I'm smiling and pretending to listen to whomever is talking to me.

Falkie2013

One thing I've wondered about and one thing that is bugging the hell out of me.

DARPA & federal funds funded and led to the creation of the internet.

Since our tax dollars paid to create the internet, why do we have to pay for access to it ? Shouldn't it be free ?

And I keep buying these pre-charged batteries which say they're already charged ( ray-o-vac ) on the package but invariably they don't work in my keyboard, mice or other devices and I have to recharge them.

What's up with that ?

It's really irritating, particularly when my Imac keyboard tells me that battery power is low and I'm scrounging for new batteries. I must have bought about 10 packs by now, but never seem to have enough. Damned things aren't cheap either.

b_dubb

i bought a ClamCase Pro shell case w/ keyboard for my new iPad 4.  this is pretty cool

b_dubb

Quote from: b_dubb on August 21, 2013, 08:32:40 PM
i bought a ClamCase Pro shell case w/ keyboard for my new iPad 4.  this is pretty cool

On second thought ... this thing is shit. The description in the site makes it sound like its in an aluminum enclosure when the material is plastic. I'm sending it back.

Adding a keyboard to iPad is definitely a good idea though.

b_dubb

Just downloaded and installed iOS 7 to my iPhone 4S. Underwhelming

b_dubb

Quote from: b_dubb on September 18, 2013, 12:32:12 PM
Just downloaded and installed iOS 7 to my iPhone 4S. Underwhelming
it's grown on me.  i don't miss anything about the old iOS.  upgrade feels snappier and more lightweight.

stevesh

Just saw an ad for the latest Samsung Galaxy that said if you're playing a video on the phone, it'll pause if you look away. Jeez, I love this stuff.

Just a quick question from a non-techie.  What does "cloud" refer to in regards to networks and such?  I'm suddenly hearing something about clouds on various commercials.  I don't recall hearing this term even a few months ago.

Juan

Quote from: West of the Rockies on September 24, 2013, 10:49:55 AM
Just a quick question from a non-techie.  What does "cloud" refer to in regards to networks and such?  I'm suddenly hearing something about clouds on various commercials.  I don't recall hearing this term even a few months ago.
You are storing whatever it is on a remote server rather than on your own computer.  Adobe, and soon other software companies, are putting their programs "on the cloud" too.  There are predictions that your local computer will soon have no software other than a web browser.  You will log onto sites "in the cloud" and do all your work through just the web browser.

As someone who does business on my computer, I'm not sure I like this development.  There have been several federal court decisions that say whatever is on a remote server belongs to the owner of the server, not the person who put it there. I deal with a lot of copyrighted material, and I'm sure the owners don't want their material "owned" by someone neither of us know.