• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

valdez

President of the National Wildlife Federation, global warming enthusiast, and Obama shill, Larry Schweiger, had the classic "nervous cough" that sets off my "weasel alert" instinct everytime.  Yeah, I know, windmills, solar energy, blah blah blah, but none of that smells as good as gasoline.  At one point during the interview, Art lamented the rise of the Chinese and wondered, "what happened to America?", and then, almost inaudibly, he sighed, "I think I know...", and I wish he would have shared those thoughts.
     America, Art, is in a bit of a funk these days, but it's still doing what it does best.  Through the stupid, dumb, ruminations of Lady Gaga; the genius of Google, Apple, and Microsoft; the power, wonder, and thunderous beauty of the Hellfire missile, we smash the chains that tyrants would have us wear, and set the world free.
     And China gives us eggrolls.
     Did I miss the Cat Stevens song?

puddintame

Holy carp.  What is a "Lady GaGa" ?

EvB

Quote from: MV on June 24, 2010, 03:43:22 AM
embedding disabled.

YES DAMMIT - but if you double click it will take you to right to YOUTUBE and the correct vid.

EvB

Quote from: puddintame on June 26, 2010, 10:47:36 PM

Haha!  the ONLY reason I can answer that is that my "guilty pleasure" this last semester was a TV show called "Glee" -- they did one episode about Lady Gaga.

Hope this will embed:

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance

Oh, and if you are a Mike Myers fan - watch to the end of this vid - the wrap-up is a film quote that is quite funny.

saucy

Quote from: starrmtn001 on April 01, 2010, 05:36:18 PM

Excellent post Marc.  Had tears by the time "Highwaymen" finished.

I would post my thoughts on how I also miss Art at the helm but I would just be echoing Traveling Executioner and C2C Weekends, however I do like Ian.  That being said, no one will ever "fill Art's shoes."
Some Velvet Morning - Nancy Sinatra with Lee Hazlewood (1967) HQ

This one really gets me every time;)  The interview Art did with Nancy Sinatra was super sonic--that powerful babe!! Why'd ya do it Art?

saucy

Quote from: puddintame on June 26, 2010, 10:47:36 PM

..Lady Gaga is all over the map, P.  But, hang on to you seat..there's a new group called, are you ready for this, (no) : the Scissor Sisters.  They are, according to my UK sources, just as big in popularity, worldwide, as the Gaga one.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: saucy on June 28, 2010, 09:17:46 PM
..Lady Gaga is all over the map, P.  But, hang on to you seat..there's a new group called, are you ready for this, (no) : the Scissor Sisters.  They are, according to my UK sources, just as big in popularity, worldwide, as the Gaga one.
i love the scissor sisters.  they're from the states, but they never really made it big here. 

i like them for a lot of reasons, among which is the fact that they actually are able to sing live and play instruments!  heh heh.  their songs aren't formulaic and repetitive like a lot of artists out there today.  they're quite interesting.  here are a couple of their tunes.

scissor sisters - return to oz

Scissor Sisters - 06 - Tits on the Radio

and... they took a lot of shit for this one, but personally, i like it:
scissors sisters - comfortably numb

valdez

...Wow.  That was horrible.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on June 29, 2010, 04:34:16 AM
     ...Wow.  That was horrible.
i could see how someone might say that about the third offering, but do you mean to say ALL of them were horrible????  really???

valdez

Quote from: MV on June 29, 2010, 09:32:24 AM
i could see how someone might say that about the third offering, but do you mean to say ALL of them were horrible? ???  really???
I gave them a second listen.   Yeah.  Really bad stuff.  But allow me to say a few positive things about them.  I like the red jump suit.  The silver pants/suspender attachment is sharp.  In fact, after doing a little research on them it seems they may single handedly save the polyester industry, which is good because, even though there is no use for it today, it may be urgently needed again in the future, and they also recorded a track with Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on June 29, 2010, 02:55:48 PM

I gave them a second listen.   Yeah.  Really bad stuff.  But allow me to say a few positive things about them.  I like the red jump suit.  The silver pants/suspender attachment is sharp.  In fact, after doing a little research on them it seems they may single handedly save the polyester industry, which is good because, even though there is no use for it today, it may be urgently needed again in the future, and they also recorded a track with Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.
wow.  that's harsh.

i'm curious, what do you prefer to listen to?

unclejim

Excuse me, but I got lost looking for the "I hate Carl Pope" thread. Mother fucker, that's MY job.

saucy

Quote from: MV on June 28, 2010, 10:57:52 PM
i love the scissor sisters.  they're from the states, but they never really made it big here. 

i like them for a lot of reasons, among which is the fact that they actually are able to sing live and play instruments!  heh heh.  their songs aren't formulaic and repetitive like a lot of artists out there today.  they're quite interesting.  here are a couple of their tunes.

and... they took a lot of shit for this one, but personally, i like it:

I like a little POP.  You from the UK MV?  This was my first listen to the Sisters..not bad.  I don't mind their spin off of Roger Waters Pink Floyd.  I predict that they don't have the depth to cover a Syd Barrett tune derivative thereof--The REAL Pink Floyd; so that's ok. I'm not as eccentric as some people are about what's behind the music.  I am eclectic though. I don't like everything and anything!  Thanx! The first one sounds the best;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: saucy on June 29, 2010, 11:20:36 PM
I like a little POP.  You from the UK MV?  This was my first listen to the Sisters..not bad.  I don't mind their spin off of Roger Waters Pink Floyd.  I predict that they don't have the depth to cover a Syd Barrett tune derivative thereof--The REAL Pink Floyd; so that's ok. I'm not as eccentric as some people are about what's behind the music.  I am eclectic though. I don't like everything and anything!  Thanx! The first one sounds the best;)
far from it... i'm from cape girardeau, MO.

what is your favorite syd barrett tune?  mine is probably milky way.  see attached.

saucy

Quote from: MV on June 29, 2010, 11:57:13 PM
far from it... i'm from cape girardeau, MO.

what is your favorite syd barrett tune?  mine is probably milky way.  see attached.

Oh, I don't know, I love them all.  This one particularly: Terrapin
http://www.guydarol.fr/media/00/00/f4a32fd62351dca5c230796def7b0dee.mp3

Yr from from "the country they call the MidWest"?  Ok, I guess, so was Bobby, (Minnesota).

valdez

Quote from: MV on June 29, 2010, 03:50:41 PM
i'm curious, what do you prefer to listen to?
Not an easy one to answer.  Anybody who tells you, "I listen to everything," listens to nothing.  But I think a list of the Cd's that I have in my car right now would make for a fair representation, in no particular order:
     80's New wave.   Some cheap, five dollar collection I picked up at Walmart (I think) years ago.  99 luftballons is on it (I prefer the german version) and the Jam's Town Called Malice.  Great tune.
     R.E.M. The best of the I.R.S. years 1982-1987 and The Best of R.E.M. In Time.  1988-2003.  Yeah.  I know.  Two of them.  Every now and then I just get in the mood.  I think I prefer Mike Stipe's mumbling years.
     Pretenders: The Singles  Chrissie Hynde has got to be one of the coolest female rockers around.  Wrote some good stuff.
     The Best of Elvis Costello:  The first ten years.  In December of 1981 I was at the Mudd Club (NYC) and some chick noticed my Elvis button on my jacket.  She said she had two backstage passes to the New Years Eve show Elvis was putting on at the Palladium.   We went, and after the show I got to shake his hand.  Many many years later I saw him again at some small club in Atlanta.  For his final encore he turned on the lights, came offstage, and sang a song from Mighty Like a Rose,  a cappella, while he walked through the crowd.  F**king unbelievable.
     Bob Dylan:  Together Though Life  An OK album.  I liked Love and Theft better.  Still, this guy doesn't stop.
    U2: The Best Of 1980-1990  I didn't pay much attention to them thoughout the eighties, but Achtung Baby caught my attention.  Bono's head is getting kind of big though.
     The Essential Bruce Springsteen  His politics can piss me off sometimes, and he can over romanticise a drive to the laundromat, but I sure as heck would miss him if I were stranded on a desert island.
     MV, I know the Scissor Sisters are merely a footnote in your vast universe of music.  Heck, I've got The Village People on cassette.  It happens.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on June 30, 2010, 05:11:22 AM
     Not an easy one to answer.  Anybody who tells you, "I listen to everything," listens to nothing. 
that's as true as anything i've ever heard.

saucy

Quote from: MV on June 30, 2010, 07:05:52 AM
that's as true as anything i've ever heard.

With regards to those with generic musical taste...let's not forget those among us who fall cluelessly into the mainstream music industry target demographic, who listen to the artist which the label deems a sellable product. Who is this demographic? Who are these "artists". Some of the artists Valdez listens to, eg., Elvis Costello, Chrissy Hynde, and some (early) U2, (although, in Ireland you would be hard pressed to find anyone to agree, they hate Bongo there; and, for good reason), strictly early U2 then--all of which would suit me fine.  But, the Essential Bruce Springsteen?  maybe fine for background music for committing suicide! Ever notice that most all Stadium R&R artists have a short (musical career) life span? The Rolling Stones are the obvious exception. Everything has its exception to the rules, but not many. Less is more, when it comes to popular music. Narrow it down to the art of the musician's ability to make his/ her music into art.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: saucy on July 01, 2010, 02:12:52 AM
With regards to those with generic musical taste...let's not forget those among us who fall cluelessly into the mainstream music industry target demographic, who listen to the artist which the label deems a sellable product. Who is this demographic? Who are these "artists". Some of the artists Valdez listens to, eg., Elvis Costello, Chrissy Hynde, and some (early) U2, (although, in Ireland you would be hard pressed to find anyone to agree, they hate Bongo there; and, for good reason), strictly early U2 then--all of which would suit me fine.  But, the Essential Bruce Springsteen?  maybe fine for background music for committing suicide! Ever notice that most all Stadium R&R artists have a short (musical career) life span? The Rolling Stones are the obvious exception. Everything has its exception to the rules, but not many. Less is more, when it comes to popular music. Narrow it down to the art of the musician's ability to make his/ her music into art.
+1.

valdez

Quote from: iBelieve on July 02, 2010, 01:48:16 AM
Is there  a schedule for up and coming Art shows ? Or does he just come on when he feels like it ?

It usually goes something like this:

Tom:  George, Art's on the phone.
     George:  Art?  What does he want?
     Tom:  How the hell should I know?  Pick up the phone.
     George:  OK.  OK.
     [ George picks up phone ]
     George:  Art, my friend, old pal, I was just thinking about...
     Art:  You're taking Friday off.
     George: What?  I...
     Art:  You're taking Friday off.
     George:  I've got a floating format this Friday.   Glyniss McCants, Lionel Fanthorpe..
     Art: What?  The numbers chick?  The "night before Christmas" guy?
     George: Yeah.
     Art: You're kidding me, right?  Right?
     George: Eh..no.
     Art: You're taking Friday off.
     George:  OK. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on July 02, 2010, 04:29:13 AMGeorge:  I've got a floating format this Friday.   Glyniss McCants, Lionel Fanthorpe..
haha, that line gave me douche chills.

saucy

Quote from: MV on July 02, 2010, 04:45:21 AM

That's maaaad! Douche chills!

EvB

Quote from: MV on July 02, 2010, 04:45:21 AM

The visceral on that is a bit weird. a whole new meaning for "gives me shivers."

valdez

According to the c2c website, Art will be hosting July 23rd.

starrmtn001

Quote from: valdez on July 16, 2010, 04:36:51 AM

Yes! ;D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on July 16, 2010, 04:36:51 AM
who is the guest?  or who would you guys like to hear him interview?

"Filling in for George, Art Bell is joined by Professor Peter Ward for a discussion on how the Gulf oil spill ties in with sudden climate change."

starrmtn001

July 23, Art Bell with guest Peter Ward will be on Coast To Coast.

This may be in answer to a lot of emails regarding our global status.  We'll just have to listen to find out.

Art Bell on again.  WHOO-HOO!  ;D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 999 on July 16, 2010, 11:09:19 PM
"Filling in for George, Art Bell is joined by Professor Peter Ward for a discussion on how the Gulf oil spill ties in with sudden climate change."
oh god.  how disappointing.  more climate change talk.  what a bummer.

nightshift

at least its ART ! I'l tune in to that.