• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Detroit man walks 21 miles to work a day

Started by nooryisawesome, February 04, 2015, 12:35:25 AM

Catsmile

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 09, 2015, 02:52:27 AM

Sure, let`s stick a microscope up the poor man`s 6 and see if we can uncover the slightest whiff of indecorousness. Please.

By all accounts, this is an honorable, decent man who is doing the very best he can under much less than ideal circumstances -- to say the least.

I believe this latest article may shed some light on exactly why he can not afford to keep a vehicle in MoTown (insurance $900/month?!).

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/02/06/robertson-car-commuter-detroit/22988565/

"And now I know that prayer works" Mr. Robertson said.

Yes, it sure does, brother 8)
You missed my point completely, again.
I'm getting use to it, by now.

I'm not taking anything away from the man. Nor do I suspect him of anything.
In fact I'm glad hes being helped, god knows his employer wasn't cutting it.
I don't disagree with anything you've said about the man.

Giving God all the credit for what many mortals have done, I take issue with.
But thatz another thread topic, for another day. 
I suspect your myopia stems from not beign able to separate the message from the person posting it.

Quote from: Catsmile on February 09, 2015, 03:21:54 AM
You missed my point completely, again.
I'm getting use to it, by now.

I'm not taking anything away from the man. Nor do I suspect him of anything.
In fact I'm glad hes being helped, god knows his employer wasn't cutting it.
I don't disagree with anything you've said about the man.

Giving God all the credit for what many mortals have done, I take issue with.
But thatz another thread topic, for another day. 
I suspect your myopia stems from not beign able to separate the message from the person posting it.

Not exactly, smiley. You presented the premise that he either sucks at budgeting, thus no vehicle (absurd), or The dreaded larger conclusion (equally absurd, if not more).

By your "larger conclusion," one is, of course, left to guess, exactly whom or what may be responsible for poor Mr. Robertson`s plight. The right-wingers? The evil business owner? The Free Masons? Bilderbergers? George Bush? Mormons? It all just get`s so incredibly tiresome.

There`s nobody to blame; nobody at which to point a finger. And I`m quite sure if you quizzed Mr. Robertson, he`d tell you the same. The man has a job. He likes his job. He walks MANY miles to work to keep the job. He never asked for a penny from anyone (This whole incredible story, as I understand it, was made possible by an extraneous player; a concerned citizen). Again, it`s a great story. THE END.

P.S. Nobody ever said it was "all God`s doing."  ::)
God helps those that help themselves. Mr Robertson is a shining example of that. As am I. And a whole lot of other folks. Now, THE END.

onan

The real story here is someone has a job in Detroit.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 09, 2015, 02:42:16 AM
Actually, is was you who made the references to skin magazines of a bygone era. Obviously, it is you who is who is trying to throw people off the trail.

Obsessed much? You imitative sock full of bloody jizz. What, no GIF!!! That's unlike you. Are you feeling ill?

It's bad enough that I see any of your picayune posts. Can't imagine going through your posting history, like you just did to me. You twisted fruitcake.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 09, 2015, 09:06:20 AM
   Obsessed much? You imitative sock full of bloody jizz. What, no GIF!!! That's unlike you. Are you feeling ill?

It's bad enough that I see any of your picayune posts. Can't imagine going through your posting history, like you just did to me. You twisted fruitcake.

That or I can use the fucking search feature. You fucking inbred moron.

By the way I am tired of arguing with you. I'm to happy that Art Bell is comming back to hold a grudge.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 09, 2015, 09:59:37 AM

By the way I am tired of arguing with you.

A witless shitpile like you would be. And again...that you used the search feature about me is far more research than I'd ever consider about an imbecile like you.

Have one of the orderlies read my avatar to you. Detroit Sucks and so do you.

Juan

The trouble, of course, is with the idiot reporter who wrote in the first sentence that the man walks the 21-miles.
Good to have the ghost back.

Eddie Coyle

I'm taking credit for Onan's return. I think my choler and harsh invctive in this tits on a bull thread brought him back.

You're welcome.

Gd5150

This story was in the paper a few weeks ago. Pretty amazing story. The milage seems a bit much. No way anyone could walk 21mi in a day and still have time for an 8hr shift. He'd be better off sleeping at work. Which lets face it, most do while they're on the clock anyways.

Glad to see racist America step up and help this guy get a new ride. Tom Brady should give him his new Chevy Pickup with lots of high tech stuff.

Gd5150

Quote from: onan on February 09, 2015, 04:50:02 AM
The real story here is someone has a job in Detroit.

LMAO!!!! Actually his job isn't in Detroit, it's 3 states away.

Zoo

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 09, 2015, 12:09:42 AM
He never said he didn't take the bus. He said he walks for a longer period of time than rides the bus. Even the article points out that he rides the bus but the route isn't direct and he has to walk a long period of time.

Its a real Noory thing to do to call someone a bullshitter or liar without even knowing the fulls story

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2015/01/31/detroit-commuting-troy-rochester-hills-smart-ddot-ubs-banker-woodward-buses-transit/22660785/

Well after reading it again; he does take the bus I was wrong. It is written thou to make you believe he is some fucking hero and walks 21 miles a day. But who really gives a shit a millon other motherfuckers do the same? I walked 7 miles one way to college and 7 miles back I never got a bunch of money for it. I mean good for this guy for doing what needed to be done but he is no hero or anything like that. Also after I got a job and a apartment 14 miles from college I bought a bike. See where I lived there was no buses so I feel nothing for this article. I cycled 14 miles to college and 14 miles home everyday no matter what. I never complained and did what I had to do (Is it nice that he got help?Yes). I still do it today but moved to a bigger city and do not have to go as far. So my thought is at least he had a bus to warm up in and to get dry for awhile. He did what he had to do like the rest of us- boo fucking hoo.. Might of thought about moving closer or throwing a co-worker a few bucks to take him to the bu stops and pick up from one. To me he just sounded like a fucking idiot.. I mean if I was in his boat I would of thought of something to make it better for myself like buying a bicycle and changing it up.. But not this dude he just did the same stupid shit over and over. Till someone took pity on him!!1

littlechris

He is an amazing genetic wonder with his regenerative abilities. He only sleeps two hours a day. Wow!!

Quote from: Zoo on February 09, 2015, 04:57:13 PM
Well after reading it again; he does take the bus I was wrong. It is written thou to make you believe he is some fucking hero and walks 21 miles a day. But who really gives a shit a millon other motherfuckers do the same? I walked 7 miles one way to college and 7 miles back I never got a bunch of money for it. I mean good for this guy for doing what needed to be done but he is no hero or anything like that. Also after I got a job and a apartment 14 miles from college I bought a bike. See where I lived there was no buses so I feel nothing for this article. I cycled 14 miles to college and 14 miles home everyday no matter what. I never complained and did what I had to do (Is it nice that he got help?Yes). I still do it today but moved to a bigger city and do not have to go as far. So my thought is at least he had a bus to warm up in and to get dry for awhile. He did what he had to do like the rest of us- boo fucking hoo.. Might of thought about moving closer or throwing a co-worker a few bucks to take him to the bu stops and pick up from one. To me he just sounded like a fucking idiot.. I mean if I was in his boat I would of thought of something to make it better for myself like buying a bicycle and changing it up.. But not this dude he just did the same stupid shit over and over. Till someone took pity on him!!1

No offence to the OP, but I generally agree with this.

Catsmile

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 09, 2015, 04:19:26 AM
Not exactly, smiley. You presented the premise that he either sucks at budgeting, thus no vehicle (absurd), or The dreaded larger conclusion (equally absurd, if not more).

By your "larger conclusion," one is, of course, left to guess, exactly whom or what may be responsible for poor Mr. Robertson`s plight. The right-wingers? The evil business owner? The Free Masons? Bilderbergers? George Bush? Mormons? It all just get`s so incredibly tiresome.

There`s nobody to blame; nobody at which to point a finger. And I`m quite sure if you quizzed Mr. Robertson, he`d tell you the same. The man has a job. He likes his job. He walks MANY miles to work to keep the job. He never asked for a penny from anyone (This whole incredible story, as I understand it, was made possible by an extraneous player; a concerned citizen). Again, it`s a great story. THE END.

P.S. Nobody ever said it was "all God`s doing."  ::)
God helps those that help themselves. Mr Robertson is a shining example of that. As am I. And a whole lot of other folks. Now, THE END.

I was voicing vague introspection, from a vague set of facts provided. Not a decisive factual rundown. What passes for a feel good story today, strikes me as strange. On the plus side, lots of good Americans help one of their own. GO TEAM AMERICA! On the other hand, they gloss over that once upon a time in the 60's-70's, being gainfully employed for decades meant you were basically self-sufficient. The exploding middle class of the day called it "The American Dream."

I grew up at the tail end of a time in America where most men could be the sole breadwinner for a family. With only a high school degree, he could support a wife, 2 children, own a house, 2 cars, and a boat. Including 2 weeks vacation, and afforded the luxury to take the family somewhere. And still sock away some savings. Plus a father could expect his children to do better than he did. Times ain't like that today, how the dream has diminished in a few decades. I miss those times. I'm not assigning blame, thats beyond the scope of this thread.

All are welcome to speculate, jump to conclusions about my motives, even put words in my mouth. The only reason I hesitated to bring it up, was because I knew Fundamentalist Conservatives would turn it into more Left Right claptrap.

VtaGeezer

AFAIK, the guy never asked for any aid or money.  It pretty much fell out of the sky on him and, man, is the resentment for his accepting it ever thick.  Like the bitchers would refuse it if they were in his shoes. Yeah, you bet.  Anyone wanna buy a bridge?

Kelt

It's also poor form that a guy with a full time job can't afford a car, however shitty a car.

area51drone

Someone might have already posted this, but in that graphic that shows his commute, it says he gets home at 4am and awakens at 6am so that he can leave at 8?  So the guy gets 2-3 hours of sleep a day??  Even that sounds like bullshit to me.  I don't sleep a lot, but I usually get at least 5 hours a day.

I'm not blaming the guy though, it's not his fault people want to embellish his story.  Good for him for making a difficult commute when others would just throw in the towel and quit.

Kelt

In forty years time he'll be drinking Château de Chasselas, since the only people who had it harder were the Four Yorkshiremen.

http://youtu.be/Xe1a1wHxTyo

I'd rather ride a bus from Tijuana to Mexico city than 5 miles on a Detroit bus. You know, the Detroit buses full of crazy drivers and bed bugs.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/ddot-works-to-keep-buses-clear-of-bedbugs/26863274
a bicycle? in 10 minutes the guy would either be run over by Lord Humongous drivers or break his neck after hitting a giant pothole. IT'S DETROIT!

The story is like a Modern Myth of Sisyphus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus

QuoteThe final chapter compares the absurdity of man's life with the situation of Sisyphus, a figure of Greek mythology who was condemned to repeat forever the same meaningless task of pushing a boulder up a mountain, only to see it roll down again. The essay concludes, "The struggle itself [...] is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."
Camus presents Sisyphus's ceaseless and pointless toil as a metaphor for modern lives spent working at futile jobs in factories and offices. "The workman of today works every day in his life at the same tasks, and this fate is no less absurd. But it is tragic only at the rare moments when it becomes conscious."