• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

wr250

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on April 18, 2018, 11:29:24 AM
http://live1.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com:8303/
Listeners (peak):1995
Kr had shut it down when I started posting churches numbers. He must of opened it back up. I never checked after that.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: ItsOver on April 18, 2018, 10:21:44 AM
That could very well be the case.  Definitely an interesting character.  Why not just come out on a broadcast and say that due to his health, especially with COPD, he could no longer do MITD to his level of satisfaction?  He'd been talking about being diagnosed with COPD and most folks would have understood.  No drama. Not everything has to be a radio show.  I guess that just wasn't Art Bell.  Everything had to have some kind of drama associated with whatever he was up to.  He must have been a circus to be married to.  ;) ;D

While COPD may have killed him, I have my doubts it contributed significantly to Bell leaving MITD (or DM, or C2C).  I see many parallels between Bell and my late brother.  My brother suffered from both depression and anxiety disorder.  He talked a good fight, but was forever finding excuses to not follow through with or just abandon whatever plans or efforts he committed to.  Nothing was ever his fault, someone or something was always to blame.  The older he got, the more he saw himself as a victim. Ironically he died just six weeks before Bell, also from pulmonary issues.  He was a very bright guy, a CPA and one time corporate comptroller, but like Bell, he pointed fingers rather than deal with problems, either real or imagined.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: creepygreenlight on April 18, 2018, 11:03:46 AM
I agree, it would have been better to do it that way.  Obviously none of us here know the truth on this and probably never will.  Maybe he thought the stalker story would allow him to quietly quit while drumming up some dramatic marketing for MITD?  A lot of folks are still angry that he handed over the show to an inexperienced loser with the talent of a wet rag, if he had been honest about his health then maybe people wouldn't have been so angry about it.

He made all sorts of odd decisions, the stalker was one of many. Others include: Leo Ashcraft, Amy Martin, getting people to prank call RCH, contemplating HW as co-host. There are probably others.

aldousburbank

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 18, 2018, 12:19:45 PM
He made all sorts of odd decisions, the stalker was one of many. Others include: Leo Ashcraft, Amy Martin, getting people to prank call RCH, contemplating HW as co-host. There are probably others.

...posting on Bellgab...

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 18, 2018, 12:18:36 PM
While COPD may have killed him, I have my doubts it contributed significantly to Bell leaving MITD (or DM, or C2C).  I see many parallels between Bell and my late brother.  My brother suffered from both depression and anxiety disorder.  He talked a good fight, but was forever finding excuses to not follow through with or just abandon whatever plans or efforts he committed to.  Nothing was ever his fault, someone or something was always to blame.  The older he got, the more he saw himself as a victim. Ironically he died just six weeks before Bell, also from pulmonary issues.  He was a very bright guy, a CPA and one time corporate comptroller, but like Bell, he pointed fingers rather than deal with problems, either real or imagined.

It seemed that almost as soon as he got on the air he was looking for a way out. Once he made enough FU money his limited qualities of application eroded even more. His main intention was obviously to stick it to Noory, but once he had done a few weeks the feeling of revenge didn't last long.

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 18, 2018, 12:18:36 PM
The older he got, the more he saw himself as a victim.
My condolences to you for the loss of your brother.  It's a very common problem and it can really dehumanize you and rob you of your true potential if you get locked into that "victim hood" mindset... it's much easier to live a life blaming others for your problems than to blame yourself. 

Just ask Hillary.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 18, 2018, 12:24:38 PM
It seemed that almost as soon as he got on the air he was looking for a way out. Once he made enough FU money his limited qualities of application eroded even more. His main intention was obviously to stick it to Noory, but once he had done a few weeks the feeling of revenge didn't last long.

Like my brother, Bell tended to telegraph his actions, with predictable outcomes.  Go back and read his posts, not too long after MITD started he talked about the toll the show was taking on his family and how he would consider passing the show on to someone else. 

ItsOver

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 18, 2018, 12:24:38 PM
Both Dark Matter and MITD.  For MITD, in particular, it appeared he was looking for excuses to bail before the show even started.  I think he enjoyed the initial thrill of kicking off both shows but once he got into them, it became more drudgery than reward.  Flying drones and watching cats became preferable.

AZZERAE

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 16, 2018, 07:08:06 PM
I've been trying to listen to talk radio today but no one mentioned him.  I thought Rush would say something but he didn't.  Kinda disappointed.

Rush has said before that he doesn't mention other talk show hosts because he's old school, and that they "don't exist" to him. What I got from that is that he's competitive in a tunnel-vision kinda way...sorta like when Art used to say he doesn't listen to other talk show hosts because he doesn't want to pick anything up from them (that he might ape) subconsciously.

Quote from: mv on April 16, 2018, 11:18:54 PM
i hadn't noticed that, but you're right.  he said nothing.  that is disappointing, but there's a lot going on in politics and rush probably just got carried away with talking about it all.

And yeah, M.V. you're right, there's a lot going on in politics, and Rush doesn't even get to halfway into the stack o' stuff that he means to get to because he goes long more often than not nowadays.

He did however find the time to defend Hannity. Ha. Priorities!

A bit late...

But, R.I.P Art Bell.  :'(

Any word on the autopsy? (I don't know if they make these public in his particular location?)

Keep Mooing everyone!  :)

AZZERAE

Quote from: The Bovine Moos on April 18, 2018, 01:04:21 PM
A bit late...

But, R.I.P Art Bell.  :'(

Any word on the autopsy? (I don't know if they make these public in his particular location?)

Keep Mooing everyone!  :)

Maybe the announcement about Heather going on in to Area 51 resulted in all this ... the death of Art Bell.

But he was old, so who's to say?

whoozit

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 01:06:08 PM
Maybe the announcement about Heather going on in to Area 51 resulted in all this ... the death of Art Bell.

But he was old, so who's to say?
Heather will tell us the Truth(TM).

SredniVashtar

Quote from: ItsOver on April 18, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
Both Dark Matter and MITD.  For MITD, in particular, it appeared he was looking for excuses to bail before the show even started.  I think he enjoyed the initial thrill of kicking off both shows but once he got into them, it became more drudgery than reward.  Flying drones and watching cats became preferable.

I think a lot of people, if they are honest, enjoyed the hype more than the shows themselves. Art wasn't interested in doing anything different by then, and his old reliable guests had gotten very stale. And people like Jonathan Reed just got shredded after five minutes research on the internet.

Kolchak

AZZERAE

Quote from: ItsOver on April 18, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
... he was looking for excuses to bail before the show even started ... Flying drones and watching cats became preferable.

LMFAO

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Kolchak on April 18, 2018, 01:14:18 PM
Top right.

FYI, if you nominate a post for top-right that immediately disqualifies it from consideration. Don't blame me, blame the Soviet-style dictatorship we are living under, slaves to his bureaucratic caprices.

whoozit

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 18, 2018, 01:18:36 PM
FYI, if you nominate a post for top-right that immediately disqualifies it from consideration. Don't blame me, blame the Soviet-style dictatorship we are living under, slaves to his bureaucratic caprices.
That did put the Kiss of Death on it.  Oh well.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 01:02:55 PM
Rush has said before that he doesn't mention other talk show hosts because he's old school, and that they "don't exist" to him. What I got from that is that he's competitive in a tunnel-vision kinda way...sorta like when Art used to say he doesn't listen to other talk show hosts because he doesn't want to pick anything up from them (that he might ape) subconsciously.

And yeah, M.V. you're right, there's a lot going on in politics, and Rush doesn't even get to halfway into the stack o' stuff that he means to get to because he goes long more often than not nowadays.

He did however find the time to defend Hannity. Ha. Priorities!

Im the same way except talentless & hate every show mostly. As far as hannity goes, rush has to protect his "friends".

SredniVashtar

Quote from: whoozit on April 18, 2018, 01:19:57 PM
That did put the Kiss of Death on it.  Oh well.

Don't give up, this is America after all, you can realise your dreams. All it takes  is hard work, patience and bribery (or blackmail).

Uncle Duke

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 18, 2018, 01:09:36 PM
I think a lot of people, if they are honest, enjoyed the hype more than the shows themselves. Art wasn't interested in doing anything different by then, and his old reliable guests had gotten very stale. And people like Jonathan Reed just got shredded after five minutes research on the internet.

New guests were no prizes either.  Peter Robbins was off his nut, and the gal who claimed Bigfoot wore clothing taken from her clothes line and ate lemon pie was really bad.  I also remember the young guy who claimed to have come upon a crashed UFO, I think in either Utah or Nevada.  Not only was Bell frustated the kid could he not keep his story straight, but he was pissed the guest was using a cell phone.

AZZERAE

Quote from: username on April 18, 2018, 01:22:46 PM
Im the same way except talentless & hate every show mostly. As far as hannity goes, rush has to protect his "friends".

Are you referring to yourself as talentless - and saying you hate other radio shows that are not your own?

I listen to your show from time to time. I like you. Not that you need a pat on the back, I'm not tryna patronize you at all.

Sean92008

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on April 18, 2018, 11:29:24 AM
http://live1.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com:8303/
Listeners (peak):1995

I did a series of life hack videos with a Filipina that would get 1995 viewers in the first minute of posting.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 18, 2018, 01:38:22 PM
New guests were no prizes either.  Peter Robbins was off his nut, and the gal who claimed Bigfoot wore clothing taken from her clothes line and ate lemon pie was really bad.  I also remember the young guy who claimed to have come upon a crashed UFO, I think in either Utah or Nevada.  Not only was Bell frustated the kid could he not keep his story straight, but he was pissed the guest was using a cell phone.

Yeah, just some of Producer Heather's greatest hits. I don't know where she found that kid, and she should have made it clear to Robbins that he wasn't there to bore the audience. Robbins can be good but he needs proper handling. He hitch-hiked across Afghanistan as a young man, which isn't something everybody does, and he worked with Budd Hopkins. I'm sure Heather was unaware of all this.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 01:45:44 PM
Are you referring to yourself as talentless - and saying you hate other radio shows that are not your own?

I listen to your show from time to time. I like you. Not that you need a pat on the back, I'm not tryna patronize you at all.

If he doesn't describe himself as talentless there are lots of people only too happy to remind him.

grano salis

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 18, 2018, 01:38:22 PM

Hi Duke!  I've been away for awhile--glad that you are still here unlike some others.  Sorry about your brother--sounds like depression.  I think that Art in the DM era just needed a better producer to eliminate the sub par guests.  In his prime i think that Ramona--who had been a LV talk radio host at his station in the '80s, served that function.  Weren't there some potentially great  guests who were aligned with C2C -Noory with "noncompetes"?

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 18, 2018, 01:56:08 PM
If he doesn't describe himself as talentless there are lots of people only too happy to remind him.

I know some women that get excited when they hear his voice.

albrecht

Quote from: DanTSX on April 18, 2018, 05:32:40 AM

Neat thanks.

There was speculation that the ANC was trying to silence him.  There was little doubt that this type of activity took place when a few years later, a blog, zasucks.com, started to air out all sorts of dirty laundry with primary sources exposing the info.  ANC took that down along with some documented (if I remember correctly) targeted harassment.

Regardless, in my opinion, it was Rense who was sounding the whistle about what was to come (and still come) for The majority of the whot minority of ZA.  He continues to push this as much as he can.  Most recently with guests proposing a more autonomous, and racially balanced western cape.  My own thought from half a world away is that you’ll never get enough of the afrikaaners and Bowers to come down off the belts and make the trek back to the cape.  My own worthless opinion from half a world away is that they should stay put, and get more wypipo to move there while taking a hard line politically and economically to ensure their voice and right to safely prosper is ensured.
Boers are stubborn people. I don't what the solution is but the situation is very bad in some areas. And not just for the white folks! And our news doesn't cover it at all. And our politicians, UN agencies, etc won't mention it lest they get tarred with the racism brush. What is even more shameful is that countries in Europe from which they came aren't doing much to help, accept white refugees, or sort of even have the attitude of "well they deserve it due to apartheid." We forget that the US had worse rules not too many decades ago with far less reasons or dangers. I don't know what the solution is but I do credit Rense for keeping the subject alive and informing people when the MSM ignores the humanitarian crisis. What the UK did to Rhodesians was shameful.  It also shows why the 2nd Amendment is so important.

grano salis

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 18, 2018, 01:54:00 PM
Yeah, just some of Producer Heather's greatest hits. I don't know where she found that kid, and she should have made it clear to Robbins that he wasn't there to bore the audience. Robbins can be good but he needs proper handling. He hitch-hiked across Afghanistan as a young man, which isn't something everybody does, and he worked with Budd Hopkins. I'm sure Heather was unaware of all this.

As I recall there was some competition for potentially better guests with the Noory C2C entity.