20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 10:48:40 PM
2 weeks..cant come soon enough

lol yea the amazon presale ships by nov 6, gets here the 10th

Barfly

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 29, 2015, 10:47:50 PM
A lot of people can't handle being wrong.
I actually admit being wrong more than most people i know.
Some people are just stubborn, i tend to punch those people in the mouth and walk away.

michio

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on October 29, 2015, 10:44:58 PM
What. They was smokin' dope out back of Fermi Lab.

I can't speak for Tyson, but for Sagan those smoke clouds made it harder for people to pigeonhole him as the proverbial stuffy scientist.

coaster

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 29, 2015, 10:46:48 PM
It's like human skin pulled tightly over a reptilian skull.
What a mug. His face looks like rubber.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 29, 2015, 10:51:05 PM
I beat Barfly in a debate. Have you done that?   :D
Duh. He let you win. Wants in yer pants...

chefist

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 10:39:21 PM
maybe its the quarian fleet

Seems the energy required for constant space travel would mean you would have to orbit a sun for quite a while before you move along...but why move at all unless you were running from enemies...

Quote from: Barfly on October 29, 2015, 10:51:32 PM
Some people are just stubborn, i tend to punch those people in the mouth and walk away.

I am the first person to admit I was wrong about Hoaxland.

norland2424

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 29, 2015, 10:51:05 PM
I beat Barfly in a debate. Have you done that?   :D

he also wants to naked cuddle you while shay videotapes lol ;D

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:48:21 PM
Is Kaku credible?

“This could be the biggest story in the past five-hundred years,” Michio Kaku explained.

Kaku said that “this star is breaking all the rules” and that “we would have to rewrite astronomy text books” to think anything different.

“Basically if a planet eclipses a Mother Star, goes in front of the Mother Star, starlight drops maybe one percent at maximumâ€"however starlight has been dropping at twenty-two percent,” Kaku explained.

“There is a colossal, humongous, object of some sort blocking the starlight from this star.”

“We’ve ruled out all of the usual suspects; rouge planets, comets, asteroids” and the only thing left is an ‘alien superstructure’ of some type.

“We’re talking about what’s called a Type Two Civilization that could build a gigantic [Dyson] sphere possibly bigger than Jupiter to absorb starlight” to produce energy, which Kaku admits “is right out of science fiction.”

http://youtu.be/j5UHULLK1sY

i saw his interview on what ever news thingy it was..kind of was surprised he jumped all over that really

SaucyRossy

It would be a lot of fun to drink some scotch and smoke with NDT.

trostol

Quote from: chefist on October 29, 2015, 10:52:09 PM
Seems the energy required for constant space travel would mean you would have to orbit a sun for quite a while before you move along...but why move at all unless you were running from enemies...

Quarian fleet has no home and has enemies lol

Higgs isn't small.  It's actually quite large which is why it required so much energy to discover.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:52:46 PM
Jesus yeah. The only way I could tolerate him.

Barfly

Quote from: norland2424 on October 29, 2015, 10:52:30 PM
he also wants to naked cuddle you while shay videotapes lol ;D
I dont cuddle
But i like the plan :)

That might provide enough inebriation to keep boredom away.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 10:52:33 PM
i saw his interview on what ever news thingy it was..kind of was surprised he jumped all over that really

It's because Andrew Siemeon, Jason Wright, and others are cautiously leaning towards this....but you're right more data is needed. There isn't a conclusion. It's entirely possible it's a natural phenomenon we've never thought of, but what I've read is the data that they have fits the theoretical models for what a Dyson swarm signature would read as if observed from afar. So, this is why the Dyson swarm is starting to lean towards being the theoretical model that fits the best with the data they currently have.

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:56:08 PM
It's because Andrew Siemeon, Jason Wright, and others are cautiously leaning towards this....but you're right more data is needed. There isn't a conclusion. It's entirely possible it's a natural phenomenon we've never thought of, but what I've read is the data that they have fits the theoretical models for what a Dyson swarm signature would read as if observed from afar. So, this is why the Dyson swarm is starting to lean towards being the theoretical model that fits the best with the data they currently have.

like ya said..MORE FACTS!!!! lol

K_Dubb

I agree, but something about him makes me think you'll wind up with the tab.

ShayP

Quote from: Barfly on October 29, 2015, 10:51:32 PM

Always hit a second time.  ;)