• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Shaving

Started by Dr. MD MD, November 29, 2016, 05:31:00 AM

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 29, 2016, 09:46:59 PM
Wow! Thanks for the detailed response. I've bought several different razor with changeable heads over the years but I've just been using Gillette Good News disposables lately. I've tried many and I think this is probably the best disposable razor for my face. I feel very guilty about the waste though. My dad had an old single blade system from years ago that I should try though. I wasn't even sure I'd still be able to find blades for it though.

Regarding the direction of shaving I do both. I'm just not clean shaven unless I do and will still have lots of stubble. So, I do it but I do it VERY slowly and carefully.  ;)

I don't always remember to put it on but I usually use Kiehl's Facial Fuel as a daily moisturizer whether I shave or not.
Dollar type of stores you fan find the "old" double-sided blades cheap (China) but cheap enough to change frequently. Oddly I bought some fairly cheap (like $4 for ten) when I was out n noticed made in Isreal? Main thing, esp if using a 'newer' shaver that is plastic: ensure blade set and when you screw down properly set. I'm still using a plastif one bought decades ago. All good. I also release tension after and use blades for weeks or more but not sensitive (im talking face here now.)

chefist

I've used Gillette Menthol shave cream for years...now I can't find it anywhere... I'm dejected...

Quote from: Walks_At_Night (ツ) on November 29, 2016, 09:41:39 PM
Since we are here.  Another naive Q.

So.....   Like.....  What about the doo-dads?    Just the thought of a razor near my boys makes me squirm.

Do it while you are in the shower or immediately afterwards.  I haven't nicked them yet.

mikuthing01

Whats the best method for shaving around the old o-ring to keep the dingle berries away? 

Quote from: asukathing02 on November 29, 2016, 10:26:35 PM
Whats the best method for shaving around the old o-ring to keep the dingle berries away?

Talk about an optical delusion.  Did a triple take miku err  asuka

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2016, 09:57:07 PM
Dollar type of stores you fan find the "old" double-sided blades cheap (China) but cheap enough to change frequently. Oddly I bought some fairly cheap (like $4 for ten) when I was out n noticed made in Isreal? Main thing, esp if using a 'newer' shaver that is plastic: ensure blade set and when you screw down properly set. I'm still using a plastif one bought decades ago. All good. I also release tension after and use blades for weeks or more but not sensitive (im talking face here now.)

There's no substitute for quality. For DE safety razors there are Mercur (German), and Edwin Jagger (England). Both are very good razors. I've used Edwin Jagger, and they're great.

For blades there are many brands. Three I'm familiar with are: Derby, Feather, and Astra Platinum. I've used Derby ,and the Astra Platinum. I prefer the Astra Platinums.

Dr. MD MD

Preferences of after shave colognes?  ???

I tried a many different ones throughout my life but kept coming back to one so much that it's become my cologne now. I like Givenchy Gentleman because once I put it on I really don't notice it anymore but others do and will often comment favorably. A lot of colognes and perfumes bother me and almost trigger my borderline asthma but not this one. Although I do get the odd hippy inquiry because patchouli is one of the scents used in it.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwh3nQP5Uo

JesusJuice

Quote from: revythingM9 on November 29, 2016, 10:26:35 PM

Got you, fam.

I guess the One has fled the coop or he would be having a major hissy fit now. 

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 29, 2016, 11:59:25 PM
I guess the One has fled the coop or he would be having a major hissy fit now.

i think he was banned lol

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 29, 2016, 05:31:00 AM
I really hate shaving. I have sensitive skin I guess because I usually can't get through a shave without a nick or two. I suppose choice of razor and shaving cream can make some difference but if I could take a pill that would stop the growth of my facial hair and had no side effects and left me unchanged in every other way I would. So, I thought I'd open this thread to all who want to bitch and/or share suggestions for products and techniques. This includes you too, ladies.  ;)

Right now I've been using this stuff from Italy called Proraso. It's a little pricey but really slicks your face up. I find it's helping reduce the amount of nicks.
Proraso is not bad- but there are FAR better out there.  In the US I would go with Mikes natural soap (A great soap and far superior to anything you will find in the drugstore.) For Italian soaps, I suggest either cella (bitter almond scent only) or razorock.  You can lather either of these with the tail of a dead cat.

As for shaving instruments?  I only use two kinds now.  Either a straight which takes quite a lot of equipment to keep sharp enough to use. ( If you hate shaving, I would steer clear of it.)  Or I use a single edge- which easily matches the closeness of a straight shave.  I do not own an electric as they murder my face, and gillette makes overpriced crap that I do not buy.

For single edge, you can get a box of 100 for under $25.  For the handle, people rave about different (vintage) brands.  Buy a Damaskeen (my pick for "everyday" and I own three- all of which are great).  You will not be able to nick yourself if you try and they will still produce a shave to rival anything you have had.

Also, shave immediately after a hot shower, pull your skin taught (but not too tight), go one pass with the grain and one against (or across if your skin is really sensitive and you suffer ingrown hairs.)  Angle matters- but with the recommended handle you cannot really get it wrong...  Also, go with alum after the shave (optional) and follow it with witch hazel (I don't consider this optional.)

Source: I have used dozens of soaps and well over 150 razors...  Don't ask.

Now for the fun part.
Ebay Damaskeene that is not pretty, but will work for under $15.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEM-Damaskeene-1912-Vintage-Single-Edge-Safety-Razor-for-Shaving-/122227087764

Mikes Natural around $15
http://mikesnaturalsoaps.com/Shaving%20Tins.html

100 pack of blades- I buy GEM from Connaught out of the UK- I'm sure you can try something else from the US- but these are the best.  ;) $25.
http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

WOTR

Quote from: god of thunder on November 29, 2016, 10:31:25 PM

There's no substitute for quality. For DE safety razors there are Mercur (German), and Edwin Jagger (England). Both are very good razors. I've used Edwin Jagger, and they're great.

For blades there are many brands. Three I'm familiar with are: Derby, Feather, and Astra Platinum. I've used Derby ,and the Astra Platinum. I prefer the Astra Platinums.
DE's never did it for me.  However, if you go this route and are new, I would say avoid the "feather"  They are known as the sharpest and you can "skin your face" and not even notice till you see red... They are great if you are used to the correct angles, though.

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 29, 2016, 01:12:47 PM
I always find before showering better because I still have some natural oil on my skin that seems to help reduce the friction.
They make shave oil for this. Not my thing as I find it reduces that lather (I face lather...)  Also, they are $$$ for less than an ounce, but google it and you will find recipes online.  But after the shower is far better because the hair will have softened noticeably.  A really good soap will provide the slickness that the oil would otherwise have.

(Is it obvious yet that this was a "special interest" from years ago?)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on November 30, 2016, 12:58:35 AM
They make shave oil for this. Not my thing as I find it reduces that lather (I face lather...)  Also, they are $$$ for less than an ounce, but google it and you will find recipes online.  But after the shower is far better because the hair will have softened noticeably.  A really good soap will provide the slickness that the oil would otherwise have.

(Is it obvious yet that this was a "special interest" from years ago?)

Hey, thanks for the responses. I might try shaving after showering again just to see. It's been awhile. I might get some of that Mike's too. The Bay Rum one sounds nice. I've tried shaving oils before but they can actually cause more drag and cuts for me. Glycerine based soaps and creams have been best for me so far but I'm willing to give that tallow stuff a try.

Quote from: norland2424 on November 30, 2016, 12:15:32 AM
i think he was banned lol

Asshole deserved it.  I think he was pulling a con job the whole time he was here.  I wasn't around during his earlier stint on Bellgab.  It was funny to see ((Reality)) popping in a few times after the One left recently.  I guess that whole dude's schtick is to pretend to be someone he isn't.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2016, 02:02:50 AM
Asshole deserved it.  I think he was pulling a con job the whole time he was here.  I wasn't around during his earlier stint on Bellgab.  It was funny to see ((Reality)) popping in a few times after the One left recently.  I guess that whole dude's schtick is to pretend to be someone he isn't.

Maybe he's just a dude playing a dude pretending to be another dude?  ???

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 30, 2016, 02:13:48 AM
Maybe he's just a dude playing a dude pretending to be another dude?  ???

He was probably bobo too.

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2016, 02:02:50 AM

both accounts are gone now from the member's list

Quote from: norland2424 on November 30, 2016, 02:16:03 AM
both accounts are gone now from the member's list

Oh they are?  His posts are still up though when I was looking a few hours ago.