• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Phil Hendrie

Started by Caruthers612, November 20, 2008, 11:35:40 AM

Who is your favorite Hendrie guest of all time..

Art Bell
Steve Bosell
Bobbie Dooley
Chris Norton
Raj Fahneen
Austin Amarka
Bob Green
Bud Dickman
Clara Bingham
David G. Hall
Dean Wheeler
Doug Dannger
Dr. Jim Sadler
Father James McQuarter
Harvey Wireman
Herb Sewell
Jay Santos
Jeff Dowder
Lloyd Bonifide
Margaret Gray
Pastor William Rennick
R.C. Collins
Ted Bell
Vernon Dozier
General Johnson Jameson
Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 22, 2011, 10:25:23 PM
i absolutely DO remember him saying this.  i clearly recall that broadcast. it was the first thing i thought about when he started going after listeners who "steal" his work.

It all seems counter-productive to me. If the listeners/callers are not there durning the show's hours now, how the Hell are people ever going to hear about Phil if their options are only either hearing him live on the air, or on an mp3 file in a friends car?
To me, it's the perfect advertising. But I'm not in the radio business either I might add. I don't know how many people I turned on to Phil over the years, and in most cases, he was not on the air at the time.
I'm thinking maybe...Maria must've gotten one nice alimony settlement?

Updated thoughts to add....Noory and Phil should swap call-screeners. Phil would have fun with who these people would pre-approve for the show. Although Phil's mind vs. the average Coast caller would not be fair and I normally do not condone the picking-on of challenged individuals. It could be a good boost for both shows.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on August 25, 2011, 11:31:36 PM
Updated thoughts to add....Noory and Phil should swap call-screeners. Phil would have fun with who these people would pre-approve for the show. Although Phil's mind vs. the average Coast caller would not be fair and I normally do not condone the picking-on of challenged individuals. It could be a good boost for both shows.

Phil's not real good with drunk callers though, he loses patience. Most of Noory's callers sound like Bud and Robert.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 25, 2011, 11:36:22 PM
    Phil's not real good with drunk callers though, he loses patience. Most of Noory's callers sound like Bud and Robert.
I think that most of Noory's callers sound heavily medicated. Thorzine, Xanax or anti-psychotics probably.

I've been doing things around the house this weekend and streaming some Hendrie from back in '03. The BSP shows haven't been reviewed yet for that year, so it's been interesting.
I'm side-lined over how different the show was then when compared to now. It's basically just Phil bitching, as usual. However, it's totally different and bits surprise me out of nowhere causing oral liquid expulsion.
Some of the things I am hearing are just flat-out nuts. I have honestly forgotten how insane Bobbie Dooley was. There's been some great bits that I hadn't heard before and ones that aren't otherwise findable on the site.
What a treat it's been this weekend.

One thing that has caught my attention among other things after listening to a full weekend of '03 Phil is how he would go into a bit at the bottom of the hour. A lot of times these bits would extend into the next hour.
The show used to be much more random & spontaneous than it is now. I've also forgotten Phil's perpensity to bitch about something totally inane and turning into something beautiful.
Case in point. There was one of Phil's bitch segments. He was giving his thoughts on rumours that the movie studios were preparing scripts for blockbuster movies from 80s t.v. series shows..Magnum P.I., MacGyver, the A-Team. Phil got to bitching about the MacGyver making bombs out of condoms and Mr. T being a pissed off black veteran that just happened to be wearing a mohawk. He started talking about Knight Ryder and how Kit was gay. "Would you mind removing your pants Michael, it feels good on the seats". Calling him a gay talking car and shit. He sounded just like Kit too. I've laughed for hours from that tonight.

Bobbie's neighbors at the Western Estates are upset with Mrs Dooley. Seems Bobbie's beagle has gone missing and she has gone around the neighborhood nailing her panties to trees so the poor dog may be able to notice her scent and come home. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on August 30, 2011, 01:34:26 AM
Bobbie's neighbors at the Western Estates are upset with Mrs Dooley. Seems Bobbie's beagle has gone missing and she has gone around the neighborhood nailing her panties to trees so the poor dog may be able to notice her scent and come home.
LOL, just the description made me guffaw.  i'm going to have to rebuild my hendrie collection.  i lost everything in a hard drive crash.  i had like 15GB of material.

I love it when some little old lady calls in and gives Bobbie the whatfor. Telling her how sick in the head she is and unwomanly  ;D
Here we go, after this Bobbie bit is over I'm gonna do this one
Don Burman of Channel 19 News has had two children with interns at his TV station :o

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on August 30, 2011, 01:34:36 PM
Here we go, after this Bobbie bit is over I'm gonna do this one
Don Burman of Channel 19 News has had two children with interns at his TV station :o
lol, sweet.

Bobbie Dooley calls the show today to discuss her thoughts on a high protein, low fat diet she has used on her children for the past twelve years. She has discovered a healthy way to keep her sons strong and lean. Seems Mrs Dooley has been breast-feeding her children since they were born and does so to this day. Her oldest of the three being 12. Granola, bananas and mother's milk is the "with it" way to go for today's mother when it comes to raising healthy children. Bobbie describes her routine, and even tells the callers that she will spoil her son Josh when he brings home good grades by drizzling chocolate syrup on her aureolas, treating him with chocolate milk. The callers disagree with Mrs Dooley's methods and give her the what-for after she breast-fed 12 year old Josh on a bench at the mall.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on September 01, 2011, 03:06:01 PM
Bobbie Dooley calls the show today to discuss her thoughts on a high protein, low fat diet she has used on her children for the past twelve years. She has discovered a healthy way to keep her sons strong and lean. Seems Mrs Dooley has been breast-feeding her children since they were born and does so to this day. Her oldest of the three being 12. Granola, bananas and mother's milk is the "with it" way to go for today's mother when it comes to raising healthy children. Bobbie describes her routine, and even tells the callers that she will spoil her son Josh when he brings home good grades by drizzling chocolate syrup on her aureolas, treating him with chocolate milk. The callers disagree with Mrs Dooley's methods and give her the what-for after she breast-fed 12 year old Josh on a bench at the mall.
lol, god damn that's classic.

"I've only met two gummers in my life, and they both worked for me at a strip club" -

I "heart" Don Berman.
Why can't this guy be on my local news?

b_dubb

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on September 01, 2011, 03:06:01 PM
is mrs dooley related to courtney stodden?

"You're a rather small company, Huge Enterprises"..Phil

" We are small but we're huge is what we say and we're getting larger" Chris Norton

http://www.philhendrieshow.com/
Hey guys, I just came across this Phil dude a couple of weeks ago. I so enjoyed his show I looked for a few youtube interviews with him and heard him mention he "does" Art Bell.
So, I signed up to his site, cheapsake that I am, and searched for every Art Bell piece I could find. Many, many of them had been deleted but the ones I was able to download made me laugh until my sides split.
As an aside Phil did mention in the original inteview that Art had heard these and found them funny. I LOVED the way Phil put Arts bumper music to good use and I felt transported back in time to when I first heard Art.
It was just after I moved from L.A. to Sedona. Before that move I didn't even know the world was ending, lol. I must admit Art gave me more of a wild ride than I was looking for in my first year in a new state.

Anyway, I thought of you guys when I heard these, check them out... or feel free to e-mail me about them Michael.
Just had to let you know;) VP

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on March 23, 2012, 01:16:59 PM
http://www.philhendrieshow.com/
Hey guys, I just came across this Phil dude a couple of weeks ago. I so enjoyed his show I looked for a few youtube interviews with him and heard him mention he "does" Art Bell.
So, I signed up to his site, cheapsake that I am, and searched for every Art Bell piece I could find. Many, many of them had been deleted but the ones I was able to download made me laugh until my sides split.
As an aside Phil did mention in the original inteview that Art had heard these and found them funny. I LOVED the way Phil put Arts bumper music to good use and I felt transported back in time to when I first heard Art.
It was just after I moved from L.A. to Sedona. Before that move I didn't even know the world was ending, lol. I must admit Art gave me more of a wild ride than I was looking for in my first year in a new state.

Anyway, I thought of you guys when I heard these, check them out... or feel free to e-mail me about them Michael.
Just had to let you know;) VP

hi, victoria.  good to see you around again.

i discovered phil in 2003.  for a long time, he was one of the greatest things ever to have happened to radio, in my opinion.  you can get a TON of his stuff for free on bit torrent.

stevesh

The station here which was carrying Jerry Doyle switched last week to Phil Hendrie, and I can't for the life of me see what you guys enjoy about this idiot. Three hours a night of unfunny, Noory-class stupid.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: stevesh on April 17, 2012, 04:07:31 AM
The station here which was carrying Jerry Doyle switched last week to Phil Hendrie, and I can't for the life of me see what you guys enjoy about this idiot. Three hours a night of unfunny, Noory-class stupid.

i don't know how his show is today, but back in 2006 and prior, hendrie's show was possibly the best thing on radio.

stevesh

These days, he has phony 'callers' who address current events in a way that reminds me of The Onion, only The Onion is funny.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: stevesh on April 17, 2012, 02:05:20 PM
These days, he has phony 'callers' who address current events in a way that reminds me of The Onion, only The Onion is funny.
Hendrie, these days, is fairly awful. And you represent the majority opinion on him overall. He's definitely an acquired taste. Even at his peak(say a decade ago) he never was a mainstream success by any standard. He's one of those comedians you either love or hate.
        Take Bill Hicks, for instance...posthumously he's become beloved, but in life he was hardly selling out Madison Square Garden. I saw him at a shitty club in Boston in 1991 in front of about 60 people.

blackshap9

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 17, 2012, 02:19:29 PM

Take Bill Hicks, for instance...posthumously he's become beloved, but in life he was hardly selling out Madison Square Garden. I saw him at a shitty club in Boston in 1991 in front of about 60 people.
The documentary on him points out that while he never became popular here he did over seas. How did you find his performance?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: blackshap9 on April 17, 2012, 07:00:33 PM
The documentary on him points out that while he never became popular here he did over seas. How did you find his performance?
Far more popular in the UK than here, with the extra insult of Denis Leary stealing and dumbing down some of his material and becoming a "hit"

He was great, much of the material would be found on the "Relentless" cd. He did point out the sparseness of the crowd and said "It's safe to say the comedy boom is over"...

blackshap9

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 17, 2012, 07:16:38 PM
       Far more popular in the UK than here, with the extra insult of Denis Leary stealing and dumbing down some of his material and becoming a "hit"

He was great, much of the material would be found on the "Relentless" cd. He did point out the sparseness of the crowd and said "It's safe to say the comedy boom is over"...
Much appreciated  8) watching it online now.

BigDave

I enjoy listening to Phil Hendrie.  If i'm up late at night it's either Him or C2C that i'm listening to

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: BigDave on September 17, 2012, 11:06:21 AM
I enjoy listening to Phil Hendrie.  If i'm up late at night it's either Him or C2C that i'm listening to

did u hear him at his peak back in 2006?

MV/Liberace!

a buddy of mine just told me phil hendrie no longer takes real calls.  they're all staged so he doesn't have to pay a phone screener.  w...t...f.  anyone know if this is true?

edit:  i wouldn't know because i haven't listened in such a long time.

tmock00

Quote from: MV on January 12, 2013, 09:10:35 PM
a buddy of mine just told me phil hendrie no longer takes real calls.  they're all staged so he doesn't have to pay a phone screener.  w...t...f.  anyone know if this is true?

edit:  i wouldn't know because i haven't listened in such a long time.

Yep - it's true.

I'm a backstage pass member and he stopped taking live calls quite a while ago.  On one hand, he says it's because he can't find  anyone with enough experience to screen calls, but on the other hand he says TRN doesn't want to pay for one. 

Ben Shockley

Well, doesn't this negate what Phil's show was really about?

Since I found him in SoCal when he came to KFI in '96, he was about making absolute idiots out of real callers (who themselves were total dunces-- busybodies who thought their cell-phone opinions spoken from thah 405 mattered).
I have a pic of me with Phil.
I used to love how he did that.
He lost me when he jumped inside George Bush's ass.

If he has abandoned having real callers talk to his characters, then the show as I knew it is dead.