• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 05, 2018, 05:20:14 PM

Does anybody know what restaurant this is?  If you are from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, you just might.  When I first looked at it, I noticed the mass of deer antlers above, the rows of beer steins along the walls, and to the right, a painting of a happy man hoisting a stein of beer.  (At first I thought he was playing an accordion.  Guess I'm in need of a stronger pair of glasses.)  Definitely serving food of a Germanic nature.

Introducing Karl Ratzsch's Rendezvous of Celebrities, a well known Milwakeean (sorry if wrong usage for people from Milwakee) restaurant that served the finest in German cuisine for 113 years.  The place closed three years ago, was opened again one year later but closed permanently almost exactly one year ago.  As far as the celebrity part goes, Liberace and Frank Lloyd Wright were know to have dined there.

Here are a couple of links to the place, followed by a pic of the building back when it was still open, I believe.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/2017/04/02/karl-ratzsch-restaurant-closes/99954262/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/dining/milwaukee-german-restaurant-karl-ratzsch-closed.html
Sad, I saw that news and also some other article about German restaurants closing around the country as "tastes change" and immigration changing demographics. So far we are still going fairly strong here. I can't understand how various meat dishes and good beer can go out of style!

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 05, 2018, 05:31:25 PM
Sad, I saw that news and also some other article about German restaurants closing around the country as "tastes change" and immigration changing demographics. So far we are still going fairly strong here. I can't understand how various meat dishes and good beer can go out of style!

Yes, it is sad.  I myself have never eaten in a totally German restaurant like Ratzsch's.  I'm sure I would have enjoyed it immensely. 

Rix Gins

At first glance this could be mistaken for a photograph, it even has photo ripples all around the edge of it that don't show up on the scan.  But no, there are some lines on the back to write a message on, plus a space for a stamp, though I think the card is unused or I should say, not sent through the mail.

The guys name is Gotlob Jauss and that's about all I can ascertain, except for the year 1950 penciled in on the back, and, oh yeah, the words Zum Adler written next to his name.  Zum Adler is German for  'To the eagle.'  Beyond that, I can't get much info because I am unable to read his writing on the back.  (Or, in the immortal words of Popeye the Sailor: "I can read reading, but I can't read writing. This writing is wrote rotten, if you happen to ask me...")

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 07, 2018, 06:08:56 PM

At first glance this could be mistaken for a photograph, it even has photo ripples all around the edge of it that don't show up on the scan.  But no, there are some lines on the back to write a message on, plus a space for a stamp, though I think the card is unused or I should say, not sent through the mail.

The guys name is Gotlob Jauss and that's about all I can ascertain, except for the year 1950 penciled in on the back, and, oh yeah, the words Zum Adler written next to his name.  Zum Adler is German for  'To the eagle.'  Beyond that, I can't get much info because I am unable to read his writing on the back.  (Or, in the immortal words of Popeye the Sailor: "I can read reading, but I can't read writing. This writing is wrote rotten, if you happen to ask me...")

I can't make anything out. I note two different pens used? Some additions added later in afterthought? I think 'zum' can mean sorta 'for' also? The name Eagle is so common as surname or places etc not much to go on.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 07, 2018, 09:42:56 PM
I can't make anything out. I note two different pens used? Some additions added later in afterthought? I think 'zum' can mean sorta 'for' also? The name Eagle is so common as surname or places etc not much to go on.

Yeah, there isn't much.  Judging solely by the dude's name and it being five years after World War Two ended, perhaps he was a Nazi hunter?  The guy does look rather...tenacious.  Aside from that, he might have been a politician.  I once saw an old postcard where a candidate sent his picture out, with a short message hand written on the back. 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 07, 2018, 10:34:13 PM
Yeah, there isn't much.  Judging solely by the dude's name and it being five years after World War Two ended, perhaps he was a Nazi hunter?  The guy does look rather...tenacious.  Aside from that, he might have been a politician.  I once saw an old postcard where a candidate sent his picture out, with a short message hand written on the back.
Or a NAZI? I didn't look that aspect-is name is/isn't commonly Jewish? Adler is too comon name n things. There was a prominent psychiatrist and college named Adler? His appearance looks like someone would demand to 'know about your mother', if you are a NAZI, or even 'papers, bitte'.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 07, 2018, 10:48:22 PM
Or a NAZI? I didn't look that aspect-is name is/isn't commonly Jewish? Adler is too comon name n things. There was a prominent psychiatrist and college named Adler? His appearance looks like someone would demand to 'know about your mother', if you are a NAZI, or even 'papers, bitte'.

Ha!  In this case I am glad to say "I know nothing!"

Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37506156

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 07, 2018, 11:06:08 PM
Ha!  In this case I am glad to say "I know nothing!"

Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37506156
Ha. Guy on right, Crane, likely collected 'postcards.' Of the 'French' variety.

Rix Gins

This postcard was produced in 1909 and sent on March 24, 1910, making it one of the older cards in my collection.

Miss Minnie Beaver was a sixteen year old girl (born in 1894) who enjoyed moving in social circles.  She was part of a committee of the Civic Improvement Club to raise money for a restroom on Mill Street in Ashland.  She was also a member of the Fleur de Lis Club.  Oddly, there is no date of death listed for her, (probably because her last name changed when she got married) and her parents last names are listed as Baker.  The date for the clipping below is June 10, 1912.   

Up All Night

Not sure if this was a postcard....

Up All Night

Ok Freeservers... No link to you !!!

Rix Gins

Quote from: Up All Night on April 10, 2018, 06:56:54 AM

Not sure if this was a postcard....

Yes, the cool train pic is a postcard, to be used in an advert sort of way. I found one of the same for sale on ebay.  Fun stuff.  Please keep them coming, Up.

Rix Gins

I noticed two things that tipped me off that this was a seafood establishment.  First, the ships wheel clock at the top, and a stuffed fish further down to the right.  There might be something nautical in the window, or its just a houseplant, can't tell which.  The name of the place is the owner's, John Hasslinger and long time residents of Baltimore, Maryland might remember the Hasslinger name when it comes to seafood.  Actually, I could only find out about John (or Jack) by reading the obituary of his brother Louis.  http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2005-10-05/news/0510050220_1_hasslinger-crab-cake-seafood

Of course, the place is long gone.  Not sure if it's the original building or not but there appears to be a liquor store there now.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 11, 2018, 04:17:12 PM

I noticed two things that tipped me off that this was a seafood establishment.  First, the ships wheel clock at the top, and a stuffed fish further down to the right.  There might be something nautical in the window, or its just a houseplant, can't tell which.  The name of the place is the owner's, John Hasslinger and long time residents of Baltimore, Maryland might remember the Hasslinger name when it comes to seafood.  Actually, I could only find out about John (or Jack) by reading the obituary of his brother Louis.  http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2005-10-05/news/0510050220_1_hasslinger-crab-cake-seafood

Of course, the place is long gone.  Not sure if it's the original building or not but there appears to be a liquor store there now.

Looks like a good restaurant! I liked he also  sold sauerbraten, Baltimore style. In MD UTZ makes potato chips with Old Bay seasoning "crab flavor." And McD's has a version of the crabcake (not as good as real ones.)
I want to go to this:
"Zion Lutheran Church, just a few steps from City Hall, throws the Woodstock of sour beef, a two-day event in which thousands of locals pack the German-speaking church’s Adlersaal to load up on the stuff, plus beer and red cabbage."
https://www.citylab.com/life/2016/10/in-baltimore-the-best-beef-is-sour/503669/

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 11, 2018, 06:00:51 PM
Looks like a good restaurant! I liked he also  sold sauerbraten, Baltimore style. In MD UTZ makes potato chips with Old Bay seasoning "crab flavor." And McD's has a version of the crabcake (not as good as real ones.)
I want to go to this:
"Zion Lutheran Church, just a few steps from City Hall, throws the Woodstock of sour beef, a two-day event in which thousands of locals pack the German-speaking church’s Adlersaal to load up on the stuff, plus beer and red cabbage."
https://www.citylab.com/life/2016/10/in-baltimore-the-best-beef-is-sour/503669/

I liked how the bar owners asked Louis to make the crab cakes a little saltier.  More beers sold.  Ha.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 11, 2018, 07:32:20 PM
I liked how the bar owners asked Louis to make the crab cakes a little saltier.  More beers sold.  Ha.

That plant in the window is what we call an Elephant Ear. I believe it is a type of split leaf philodendron.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 11, 2018, 07:32:20 PM
Yep ha. Somehow down here some folks purposely salt their own beer. I do on a hot summer day because an old relative, deceased for some decades, said that's what they'd do in the old field. Same theory later behind Gatorade and salt-tablets, I guess but the benefit of alcohol makes it better.. Mexicans, and not just them now, even have special salts sold, or used at bars, to put in with flavors like lime, peppers, etc.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 11, 2018, 08:15:04 PM
That plant in the window is what we call an Elephant Ear. I believe it is a type of split leaf philodendron.
Good eye! I couldn't make it out. Apparently hardy plants in the sub-tropical regions like Houston. The other version, I think Philodendron bipinnatifidum, survived two weeks under water after Harvey and the release situation. Crazy. A lime tree also bore fruit (I suggest they not be used or eating cause who knows what was in water!) I said we needs to document what lived, what died, and what had delayed spring blooming. So folks know what plants are hearty for floods, chemicals, mud, water covering, lack of sunlight for extended time. Haha.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 05, 2018, 05:40:05 PM
Yes, it is sad.  I myself have never eaten in a totally German restaurant like Ratzsch's.  I'm sure I would have enjoyed it immensely.

Yes that is the now closed Karl Ratzsch's restuarant.
And yes the food was excellent.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: albrecht on April 11, 2018, 08:16:03 PM
Yep ha. Somehow down here some folks purposely salt their own beer. I do on a hot summer day because an old relative, deceased for some decades, said that's what they'd do in the old field. Same theory later behind Gatorade and salt-tablets, I guess but the benefit of alcohol makes it better.. Mexicans, and not just them now, even have special salts sold, or used at bars, to put in with flavors like lime, peppers, etc.

I heard of putting salt in the beer too from an old timer. When he was a young boy and ice cold beer was the standard lunch time drink for dock workers, he worked for tips by taking the dock workers beer buckets on a stick to a local tavern and had them filled with cold beer and also offered optional salt.

Edit: I googled beer buckets, stick and found the picture below. LOL I see it's a about a Milwaukee legend. Wondering if the old timer that told me the story knew this guy?

https://milwaukeehistory.net/product/bucket-boy-a-milwaukee-legend/

albrecht

Quote from: WhiteCrow on April 11, 2018, 10:13:36 PM
I heard of putting salt in the beer too from an old timer. When he was a young boy and ice cold beer was the standard lunch time drink for dock workers, he worked for tips by taking the dock workers beer buckets to a local tavern and had them filled with cold beer and also offered optional salt.
Interesting but makes sense. Hardwork or hot conditions, get some salt, rehydration, and ethanol into you. It works for me. I recall unions protesting, either in Germany or Denmark, about no beer years ago. Knew someone whose older uncle worked at Pearl and they could drink and given allotment to take home back in the day. Lawyers, safety-experts, risk managements types are ruining the world. Let a working man have some relief. Hard, crappy job let him cool off or retain heat. A few beers gonna cause problems?  Kidding, of course...

albrecht

That bucket boy doesn't look like a boy but sounds like it good be an interesting book. I like what looks like Kaiser almost in background and, of course, the dog. Town near here going to have "Weiner Dog" races next weekend, I think. So funny watching them run and such. And typical fair fare.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: albrecht on April 11, 2018, 10:24:25 PM
Interesting but makes sense. Hardwork or hot conditions, get some salt, rehydration, and ethanol into you. It works for me. I recall unions protesting, either in Germany or Denmark, about no beer years ago. Knew someone whose older uncle worked at Pearl and they could drink and given allotment to take home back in the day. Lawyers, safety-experts, risk managements types are ruining the world. Let a working man have some relief. Hard, crappy job let him cool off or retain heat. A few beers gonna cause problems?  Kidding, of course...

When young I had the good fortune of having an apprenticeship in "letterpress" printing and working in downtown Milwaukee. I got to know lots of old-timers at work and many a late night spent in taverns drinking with them.

albrecht

Quote from: WhiteCrow on April 11, 2018, 10:38:28 PM
When young I had the good fortune of having an apprenticeship in "letterpress" printing and working in downtown Milwaukee. I got to know lots of old-timers at work and many a late night spent in taverns drinking with them.
Nice. I also like/liked to drink with old timers or just hear their stories. Its crazy that society at large seems to not like. Besides learning stuff, great stories, even history, etc. Better than apps etc. Real people.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: albrecht on April 11, 2018, 10:36:33 PM
That bucket boy doesn't look like a boy but sounds like it good be an interesting book. I like what looks like Kaiser almost in background and, of course, the dog. Town near here going to have "Weiner Dog" races next weekend, I think. So funny watching them run and such. And typical fair fare.

I assumed that the old timer that told me the story, was talking about doing the "beer runs" during summer vacation from school. As an adult he worked as a deck hand on great lakes ships. His hobby was building ships in a bottle. "Gus" showed me all the little tricks used to make ships in a bottle.  LOL probably a youtube video on that.. I'll Google it. ..BRB

Edit: of course there was a youtube video. Duh

https://youtu.be/sk1IRhmcVR4

Rix Gins

Quote from: WhiteCrow on April 11, 2018, 10:13:36 PM
I heard of putting salt in the beer too from an old timer. When he was a young boy and ice cold beer was the standard lunch time drink for dock workers, he worked for tips by taking the dock workers beer buckets on a stick to a local tavern and had them filled with cold beer and also offered optional salt.

Edit: I googled beer buckets, stick and found the picture below. LOL I see it's a about a Milwaukee legend. Wondering if the old timer that told me the story knew this guy?

https://milwaukeehistory.net/product/bucket-boy-a-milwaukee-legend/

There is an episode of the Three Stooges where they had a job of delivering buckets of beer on the stick, with predictable results for them, of course.  This is where growlers originated, right?  Because of the sound the containers make while sloshing along, from being carried on the stick?  At least I read that somewhere, I think.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 11, 2018, 11:08:56 PM
There is an episode of the Three Stooges where they had a job of delivering buckets of beer on the stick, with predictable results for them, of course.  This is where growlers originated, right?  Because of the sound the containers make while sloshing along, from being carried on the stick?  At least I read that somewhere, I think.

Never heard that,  but I'll Google it... BRB

Edit ..copied from wikipedia.

Growler:
The term likely dates from the late 19th century when fresh beer was carried from the local pub to one's home by means of a small galvanized pail. It is claimed the sound that the carbon dioxide made when it escaped from the lid as the beer sloshed around sounded like a growl.[9]

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 05, 2018, 05:40:05 PM

The "premier" German Restaurant "Maders"  in Milwaukee is still going strong.

http://madersrestaurant.com/about/

albrecht

Quote from: WhiteCrow on April 12, 2018, 02:33:24 PM
The "premier" German Restaurant "Maders"  in Milwaukee is still going strong.

http://madersrestaurant.com/about/
I wonder if they got the free copy of the "Schnitzelbank Song" they offered? That place looks awesome and is making me hungry and thirsty!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADERS-GERMAN-RESTAURANT-SCHNITZELBANK-POSTER/253549019435?hash=item3b08b3012b:g:~10AAOSwslRaymj1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YpIlaH_iY