• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 16, 2015, 08:23:07 AM
I'm picturing Agent: Orange stepping outside and discovering a revival tent-sized polybag containing an ENIAC has been delivered.
Ohhh man with a magazine about ENIAC stuck to it, that's amazing

Quote from: Agent : Orange on December 16, 2015, 07:06:19 PM
Ohhh man with a magazine about ENIAC stuck to it, that's amazing

Such imagery allows me to transcend the mundane. heh.

Ciardelo

I have an android Galaxy 3 on Virgin Mobile. Tonight as I'm out and about I needed to check BellGab to see if Art was back and my stupid Google apps are picking that time when I'm on a shitty cell connection to update shit from Google play.

It made my internet slow to a crawl, and I missed a very important retort that I needed to post. Well the time for that is long gone...but is there a setting where Google Play store will only update apps when I'm on a wi-fi?

cweb

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 16, 2015, 10:22:59 PM
I have an android Galaxy 3 on Virgin Mobile. Tonight as I'm out and about I needed to check BellGab to see if Art was back and my stupid Google apps are picking that time when I'm on a shitty cell connection to update shit from Google play.

It made my internet slow to a crawl, and I missed a very important retort that I needed to post. Well the time for that is long gone...but is there a setting where Google Play store will only update apps when I'm on a wi-fi?
Yep. Open the Play Store, click the menu thinger (upper left), choose Settings. Select auto-update apps at the top and choose "auto update over wi-fi only."

I actually have my auto-updates turned off because I have certain bits of manufacturer/carrier bloatware disabled and I don't want to waste time updating them too.

Quote from: cweb on December 17, 2015, 10:05:20 AM
Yep. Open the Play Store, click the menu thinger (upper left), choose Settings. Select auto-update apps at the top and choose "auto update over wi-fi only."

I actually have my auto-updates turned off because I have certain bits of manufacturer/carrier bloatware disabled and I don't want to waste time updating them too.

I just experienced a spike in serotonin when I witnessed one bellgabber helping another!

To hell with bloatware and auto updates, and I will add, systems that default you as having opted IN, when it should have defaulted as OUT.   

I'm looking at you, phone book companies, who insist on leaving your mostly OBSOLETE YELLOW PAGES on front porches to rot in the rain.

I quite Facebook long go because I had to repeatedly go into the controls to Opt Out of the never ending latest update in privacy invasion/data mining/auto sharing of photos options, etc.

Zuckerberg wouldn't know the meaning of privacy if it walked up to him incarnate and punched him in the face.

Wait, is this rant killing the serotonin benefit just experienced?

Damn.

cweb

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 17, 2015, 10:44:20 AM
I just experienced a spike in serotonin when I witnessed one bellgabber helping another!

To hell with bloatware and auto updates, and I will add, systems that default you as having opted IN, when it should have defaulted as OUT.   

I'm looking at you, phone book companies, who insist on leaving your mostly OBSOLETE YELLOW PAGES on front porches to rot in the rain.

I quite Facebook long go because I had to repeatedly go into the controls to Opt Out of the never ending latest update in privacy invasion/data mining/auto sharing of photos options, etc.

Zuckerberg wouldn't know the meaning of privacy if it walked up to him incarnate and punched him in the face.

Wait, is this rant killing the serotonin benefit just experienced?

Damn.

Heh, I've gotten some good advice from fellow Gabbers and thought I'd try to pass the good on if possible.

As for the opt-ins, grrrrr indeed. Especially when you download from the formerly-safe Sourceforge and you can't fly through installer programs anymore- because then you'll miss the carefully-hidden checkboxes invoking the wrath of the Yahoo toolbar upon your system.

Ciardelo

Quote from: cweb on December 17, 2015, 11:02:03 AM
Heh, I've gotten some good advice from fellow Gabbers and thought I'd try to pass the good on if possible.

As for the opt-ins, grrrrr indeed. Especially when you download from the formerly-safe Sourceforge and you can't fly through installer programs anymore- because then you'll miss the carefully-hidden checkboxes invoking the wrath of the Yahoo toolbar upon your system.
Grrr. Thanks for the Google Play help! I'll be turning off the auto-updates all together. There is some crap in there I don't ever use.

gabrielle

is there anyway to prevent someone from using your avatar and username and pretending to be you? 

onan

Quote from: gabrielle on December 20, 2015, 04:28:43 PM
is there anyway to prevent someone from using your avatar and username and pretending to be you?

Your avatar no, anyone can grab the pic you use. Your username however is, as far as I know, specifically to the person that signed up. One could choose something similar, but I think there is or was a rule in the terms about that.

gabrielle

Quote from: onan on December 20, 2015, 05:55:01 PM
Your avatar no, anyone can grab the pic you use. Your username however is, as far as I know, specifically to the person that signed up. One could choose something similar, but I think there is or was a rule in the terms about that.

Thank You Onan.  What about someone taking both the avatar and the username and using it on another site...posing as you? 

Ciardelo

Quote from: gabrielle on December 20, 2015, 06:15:47 PM
Thank You Onan.  What about someone taking both the avatar and the username and using it on another site...posing as you?
If you are asking about /x/ yes, they do that all the time. There's somebody over there that uses my BellGab screen name and avatar. There's no way to stop that. They have done it to brig and Art lately too. Who do I go sue for using my screen name? More importantly, is Michael Weston going to sue me? :)

Ciardelo

One could go to virtually every possible "chat" site, social media to register a specific screen name and avatar and still there will be ones you have missed. If somebody is doing it to you Gabby, then I would contact the site admin for that site.

gabrielle

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 20, 2015, 06:24:39 PM
One could go to virtually every possible "chat" site, social media to register a specific screen name and avatar and still there will be ones you have missed. If somebody is doing it to you Gabby, then I would contact the site admin for that site.

Many Thanks burn notice guy Ciardelo.  I guess there are people out there with too much time on their hands.

Catsmile

Quote from: gabrielle on December 20, 2015, 06:34:37 PM
Many Thanks burn notice guy Ciardelo.  I guess there are people out there with too much time on their hands.

Seems you do, if you are Googling, lurking sites looking for "your" username and avatar. And worrying about it.

I'm not a 4chin member... I just lurk there. ::) ::)

Ciardelo

Quote from: gabrielle on December 20, 2015, 06:34:37 PM
Anytime space lady Gabby. ;) Too bad that brig is getting so much flak. You know I think it is because they are jealous. /x/ could never stop their screwing around and hating everything everybody does to put on their own podcast. They could never be honest enough for one second to figure that out.

They are nothing but trash. It's one thing when you are a public figure like Art to expect some little boy jealously posting mean things, but to go after a sweet person who is just trying to make a pleasant show. Well I just don't know. It stinks. They stink. 

flimflam384

That was a weird ass story.  Apparently he flipped out about police brutality and stalking and then announced his suicide.  I was watching his tweets as they were coming, and people on the linux subreddit were absolutely sure that his twitter was hacked.  It really turned out way worse than I hoped it would.

testing101

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 30, 2015, 04:39:31 PM
Ian Murdock dead at 42

Awful news:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/30/debian-founder-and-docker-employee-ian-murdock-has-died-at-42/

Been following this for several days. Happened to be using a machine running Debian when all the news started to trickle in. One has to imagine there are two sides to the events that led towards this tragedy... the truth possibly somewhere in the middle. Very interested to read the rumors as people get back to work next week.

cweb

Ugh. So my girlfriend's e-mail got hacked, which led to them getting into her Steam and Amazon accounts. Just spent the last hour freezing credit cards, changing passwords, and the like.

Thankfully, none of my cards or stuff were associated with her accounts. It's still annoying. I guess she's learned why I jibber-jabber about account security.

We did happen to get the IP of the Russian fuckhead who was using her Steam. Not sure if there's much we can do with it, aside from begging the government to nuke Moscow.

Fack.

For those of you having issues installing a 'nix distro, you may need to resort to Necro-Tech Cybermancy.
Installation notes can be found here.
I operate a pirate system because I currently dwell in a state where this is illegal.  ;)

cweb

Stumbled into this video again. Pure bullshittery. The comments are gold! Or maybe platinum. Whichever has better conductivity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73yDxmBV6cI