• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Quote from: Taaroa on July 24, 2019, 07:26:30 AM
I feel like a Ford Mustang in the kind of winter north-eastern Europe gets is a bad idea. Assuming you could even get it started in those temperatures, don't they lose traction really easily on dry roads?

Here.  All you wanted to know about Mustang wheel hop but were afraid to ask:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-wheel-hop.html

If you are looking at a pre-2015 model, well then you have a different issue:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-history-of-the-ford-mustang-independent-rear-suspension/

Jackstar

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 02:03:55 PM
Thank you Jacky that is perfect!

I'm kinda late to the party on this whole mud flood thing--I only started hearing about it a few months ago. I've long thought that modern humans have been extensively lied to about world history, but the idea that a worldwide catastrophe happened so recently and was thoroughly covered up is strictly mind-blowing.

Still--a plausible theory that merits further scrutiny. The Smithsonian isn't hiding evidence for no reason.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Jackstar on July 26, 2019, 03:29:48 PM
I'm kinda late to the party on this whole mud flood thing--I only started hearing about it a few months ago. I've long thought that modern humans have been extensively lied to about world history, but the idea that a worldwide catastrophe happened so recently and was thoroughly covered up is strictly mind-blowing.

Still--a plausible theory that merits further scrutiny. The Smithsonian isn't hiding evidence for no reason.

Well, I don't know about the mud floods and the buried buildings.  If you go to Pioneer Square you can see blocks of buildings with buried first floors (and take the underground tour to go inside, which is pretty cool) thanks to efforts to raise the street level against tidal flooding -- city founders are notoriously optimistic about high tide lines.  St. Petersburg in Russia is harder to explain as the Baltic itself has no appreciable tides, though the level of the Neva probably fluctuates with the spring thaw.

Or (more to the point, given that they are digging these buildings out) fluctuated more in the past before modern flood-control methods.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 01:26:00 PM
So we have a large-scale migration fleeing one of the many poorly documented Central Asian empires of this period, maybe even the Huns, which practiced enslavement of whole peoples but usually lasted only a generation or two. 
One can hardly blame them. It does no good enslaving a leg, an arm, or even a head...  ;)

WOTR

Quote from: Jackstar on July 26, 2019, 03:29:48 PM

I'm going to have to watch it. A theory that you had not heard of until recently has to be interesting...

albrecht

Another "controversial" claim is Solutrean hypothesis.I like that the Tartary Mud-Fire Flood guy also throws away lines like "under the dome" and the "earth has no curve" and "ether" in his description of the hidden history of Virginia City, Tartary, and mud/fires.  He needs to get on with RCH for some fun time: RCH will be exasperated "YES, there are dome but they are on the moon and Mars and the torsion of the ether made them consistency of cigarette smoke."

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on July 26, 2019, 04:59:01 PM
One can hardly blame them. It does no good enslaving a leg, an arm, or even a head...  ;)

Smartass.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on July 26, 2019, 05:06:57 PM
Another "controversial" claim is Solutrean hypothesis.I like that the Tartary Mud-Fire Flood guy also throws away lines like "under the dome" and the "earth has no curve" and "ether" in his description of the hidden history of Virginia City, Tartary, and mud/fires.  He needs to get on with RCH for some fun time: RCH will be exasperated "YES, there are dome but they are on the moon and Mars and the torsion of the ether made them consistency of cigarette smoke."

The Solutrean Hypothesis is effectively dead as of 2014 after testing an actual Clovis person (a baby) buried with Clovis tools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzick-1

The funny thing is everybody agrees the Eskimos traveled back and forth across the Bering Strait in their umiaks or across the ice and made it all the way to Greenland from Asia but the idea that the ancestors of other North Americans might have done the same is controversial.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 06:13:44 PM

I agree; we need to sort out this Solutrean Hypothesis thing once and for all.

I thought for sure we'd get lucky after he teased his new studio which, by now, probably has four-inch shag on the floor, a teak desk with surfboard cutouts, and some midcentury Eames molded fiberglass guest chairs.  Plus a mirrored bar cabinet with old-school seltzer bottles.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 06:22:31 PM
I agree; we need to sort out this Solutrean Hypothesis thing once and for all.

I thought for sure we'd get lucky after he teased his new studio which, by now, probably has four-inch shag on the floor, a teak desk with surfboard cutouts, and some midcentury Eames molded fiberglass guest chairs.  Plus a mirrored bar cabinet with old-school seltzer bottles.

Not so sure about the Teak Desk.   Cheffy does a drive into the Aviation Thread once in a blue moon.   Perhaps a desk made from a PBY Consolidated Catalina by MotoArt?

Or would that clash and throw the whole vibe off?

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 05:37:17 PM
The Solutrean Hypothesis is effectively dead as of 2014 after testing an actual Clovis person (a baby) buried with Clovis tools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzick-1

The funny thing is everybody agrees the Eskimos traveled back and forth across the Bering Strait in their umiaks or across the ice and made it all the way to Greenland from Asia but the idea that the ancestors of other North Americans might have done the same is controversial.
One baby doesn't make a case, necessarily except for that baby and his family. There was maybe all kinds of migrations going on from all kinds of regions. The laws we have are suspect, I will give them a pass that the motives were good, but also leads to crime and history not being uncovered or looted because no landowner wants the government to come down on their land or get fined/penalized for finding something. I recall some rancher who had awesome Indian stuff on his property and FINALLY donated it upon his death or something? Didn't tell anyone because laws, worried about poachers, worried about his property values, etc. I know some guy who hunts for arrowheads and finds graves on his property but won't tell people. Also a guy who has a deer lease with some extensive caves, and bat population,with some drawings. Again not told or invited a university or scholars because threats to land (and with legal weed in place the prices he gets from guano are pretty awesome.) I know some builders who fill up caves/holes because they are afraid of regulations. Not good but the laws have a perverse incentive for people to resort of criminality or silence.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 06:31:52 PM
Not so sure about the Teak Desk.   Cheffy does a drive into the Aviation Thread once in a blue moon.   Perhaps a desk made from a PBY Consolidated Catalina by MotoArt?

Or would that clash and throw the whole vibe off?

Oh no that would be sweet!  But what is that thing that looks like a gun mount under the flower vase?  The PBY was one of the models I made as a kid, and I don't remember that -- just the nose and waist blisters.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 07:07:12 PM
Oh no that would be sweet!  But what is that thing that looks like a gun mount under the flower vase?  The PBY was one of the models I made as a kid, and I don't remember that -- just the nose and waist blisters.

I don't think so - I'm guess this desk was made from one of the flaps and that was were the connector inserted into it.

This isn't a PBY but you get the idea here:

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on July 26, 2019, 06:42:13 PM
One baby doesn't make a case, necessarily except for that baby and his family. There was maybe all kinds of migrations going on from all kinds of regions. The laws we have are suspect, I will give them a pass that the motives were good, but also leads to crime and history not being uncovered or looted because no landowner wants the government to come down on their land or get fined/penalized for finding something. I recall some rancher who had awesome Indian stuff on his property and FINALLY donated it upon his death or something? Didn't tell anyone because laws, worried about poachers, worried about his property values, etc. I know some guy who hunts for arrowheads and finds graves on his property but won't tell people. Also a guy who has a deer lease with some extensive caves, and bat population,with some drawings. Again not told or invited a university or scholars because threats to land (and with legal weed in place the prices he gets from guano are pretty awesome.) I know some builders who fill up caves/holes because they are afraid of regulations. Not good but the laws have a perverse incentive for people to resort of criminality or silence.

The problem is that because genetics is viewed as a "hard science" that one genome will outweigh all the anecdotal flint-knapping testimony about overshot flakes and line-drawn comparisons of points until they find another burial.  At least it proves Clovis people buried their dead with diagnostic material so eventually they might find another.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 07:13:36 PM
I don't think so - I'm guess this desk was made from one of the flaps and that was were the connector inserted into it.

This isn't a PBY but you get the idea here:

Ok the flaps, that makes sense.  Yeah, I thought that wing was huge.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 07:17:02 PM
Ok the flaps, that makes sense.  Yeah, I thought that wing was huge.

Internet says a wingpsan of a PBY is 104 feet.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 07:24:48 PM
Internet says a wingpsan of a PBY is 104 feet.

Jeez.  That would make one hell of a ping pong table.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 07:26:20 PM
Jeez.  That would make one hell of a ping pong table.

This was the PBY model I built as a kid.   Jacques Cousteau's bird.   I think one of his son's crashed it on take off and died.   :'(

whoozit

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 07:31:08 PM
This was the PBY model I built as a kid.   Jacques Cousteau's bird.   I think one of his son's crashed it on take off and died.   :'(

It must have been 1:1 scale.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 07:31:08 PM

Nice-looking paint job!  Mine was just the blue with white underneath, but I made it wheels-up so I could fly it around pew pew pew.

The only one I still have is my Grumman Duck somewhere in the garage -- I had a thing for seaplanes.

Shall we amuse the board with stories of Hamsters We Once Knew next?

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 07:55:18 PM
Nice-looking paint job!  Mine was just the blue with white underneath, but I made it wheels-up so I could fly it around pew pew pew.

The only one I still have is my Grumman Duck somewhere in the garage -- I had a thing for seaplanes.

Shall we amuse the board with stories of Hamsters We Once Knew next?

It was sharp in the real, as well

Sure - let's do the hamster thing.  *Anything* to keep this topic going in the off chance of Chefist seeing it and taking action.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 07:59:35 PM
It was sharp in the real, as well

Sure - let's do the hamster thing.  *Anything* to keep this topic going in the off chance of Chefist seeing it and taking action.

Woohoo I found my Duck!

Missing a hubcap and covered with dust, but not bad!  This was that cool metallic paint that was dull but you buffed to a gleam.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 08:16:46 PM
Woohoo I found my Duck!

Missing a hubcap and covered with dust, but not bad!  This was that cool metallic paint that was dull but you buffed to a gleam.

That's awesome!     Beats a hamster six days to Sunday.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 08:20:57 PM
That's awesome!     Beats a hamster six days to Sunday.

That's what I was thinking.  But back to Chefy, what music should he have for the reboot?  His last opener was awesome but I can't remember what it was.  I was thinking maybe this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6GuqySXXsY

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 08:27:26 PM
That's what I was thinking.  But back to Chefy, what music should he have for the reboot?  His last opener was awesome but I can't remember what it was.  I was thinking maybe this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6GuqySXXsY

His intro was the beginning part of the Rockford Files TV show with the answering machine.  Which was only great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0Vq4fj3ho

Perhaps something with a little more bite to it though?   Theme from Ironside? Or too intense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2WqiuJ1dug

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 26, 2019, 08:38:44 PM
His intro was the beginning part of the Rockford Files TV show with the answering machine.  Which was only great.

Perhaps something with a little more bite to it though?   Theme from Ironside? Or too intense?

Oh no Ironside is good.  For intense, I always thought this should be a PI show theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOKm-AKxpJk

But the opener I was thinking of was some old cartoon gawd I wish I could remember it was great.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 26, 2019, 08:48:13 PM

But the opener I was thinking of was some old cartoon gawd I wish I could remember it was great.

Well our definition of "old" might differ some.   ;)

For most obnoxious, The Hulk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9u7GjNkp5Y