The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Ciardelo

Don't all you real sciencey people have some other forum to post on?  >:(

albrecht

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 03, 2017, 04:22:23 PM
http://www.systemaspetsnaz.com/
Quick search brought that up too.
There was a former Spetsnaz that came to the States and opened a studio out on the west coast too, but I'll be damned if I can remember the guys' name. His advanced techniques, for those  that showed promise, incorporated Telekinesis. That was some cool shit to watch.
Interesting, I thought Systema was more like Krav Maga- taking the strikes etc from many disciplines and focusing on actual combat and street fighting (i.e., "dirty fighting) but it would appear that there also is a spiritual/psychic component, more like traditional martial arts.

I had a friend who loved to get into bar fights, crazy son-of-a-bitch, but was always calm and even giggling during the fights. Sometimes would take on several people at once. A big Oriental guy who looked fat but really was strong/fat and could still kick high etc. Once I saw him break a rattan chair in a bar patio during a fight and use the legs like whatever kungfu fighting sticks against two people. Wham, Wham, Wham, it was like a movie. Being Oriental etc it wouldn't take long for some redneck or guy off-base to pick a fight. Stupid move on their parts because they were usually drunk so even worse with reaction time. I wouldn't say he would pick fights but accept the escalation and end them, usually waited for them to 'try' to strike first. He told me though with a real opponent or threat, if you can't avoid, (not some drunk frat guy, redneck, or private) that you should also attack first, fight dirty, and not stop until no response (unless other threats around.) I only saw him in a "real" fight against some guy with some skills or at least a potential real threat. It was over in like a minute. Quick flurry of punches, guy's shirt over head, knees to the face and the dude was out, lay bleeding on the street. My friend had to leave town for a bit because police were called because the guy had broken jaw and orbital socket. Ouch.

expat

Quote from: Dyna-X on February 03, 2017, 05:12:47 PM

However, the crux of Brandenburg's argument is not that Xenon 129 is merely present, but that the ratio of Xenon 129 compared to the other isotopes match those in Earth's atmosphere post 1945. The second graph - Figure 5 in this paper shows the relative concentration of Xenon isotopes versus what is ostensibly an idealized fission-fusion reaction.
http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2015/pdf/2660.pdf

Look again at that figure please. Look up top. See that little caption "Normed to Xenon-129 =100"? Yes, of course the two traces match exactly, they've been forced to.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 03, 2017, 05:20:12 PM
OMFG Dyna-X! This is BELLGAB! TL;DR!

If this is your way of saying I need a blog or my own show, then thank you!

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dyna-X on February 03, 2017, 06:01:30 PM
If this is your way of saying I need a blog or my own show, then thank you!

:grin:  Yes ma'am.

Dyna-X

Quote from: expat on February 03, 2017, 05:42:22 PM
Look again at that figure please. Look up top. See that little caption "Normed to Xenon-129 =100"? Yes, of course the two traces match exactly, they've been forced to.

Thank you. I recognize that. The 129 spike is overly convenient, dare I say deceptive.   However, are not ratios by definition supposed to remain constant regardless of scale? There is some inconsistency - but there again, in Brandenburg's notion this was not a recent fission event.
What would be expected for each of the isotopes at various intervals? I suppose I could do some digging and apply the half-life formula - a match could provide an age estimate for a possible event or might show if he is wrong nothing more than natural variation.

Ciardelo

Captain Buzzkill and his sidekick, AstroGuy.

I literally can not make this shit up

Hoaxy better keep his shit tight when he gets back...

<bseg>

expat

Quote from: Dyna-X on February 03, 2017, 06:26:01 PM
However, are not ratios by definition supposed to remain constant regardless of scale?

The point is that virtually the entire gaseous atmosphere of Mars was lost in some cataclysm within the first 100 million years after the planet was formed. Iodine, being a solid, was unaffected. So I-129 was relatively abundant, and turned itself into Xe-129 with a half-life of 16m years. 275 of those half-lives have passed since the assumed loss of atmosphere.

albrecht

Quote from: expat on February 03, 2017, 06:48:27 PM
The point is that virtually the entire gaseous atmosphere of Mars was lost in some cataclysm within the first 100 million years after the planet was formed. Iodine, being a solid, was unaffected. So I-129 was relatively abundant, and turned itself into Xe-129 with a half-life of 16m years. 275 of those half-lives have passed since the assumed loss of atmosphere.
Nuclear war.  ;)

Dyna-X

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 03, 2017, 06:30:03 PM
Captain Buzzkill and his sidekick, AstroGuy.

I literally can not make this shit up

Hoaxy better keep his shit tight when he gets back...

<bseg>

If its any consolation, I had to google TL:DR and bseg and I don't really know what firefub is either.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dyna-X on February 03, 2017, 06:56:34 PM
If its any consolation, I had to google TL:DR and bseg and I don't really know what firefub is either.

:smile:

trostol

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 03, 2017, 07:07:47 PM

happy hour half price zombies and puu puu platters

i think i had the worst drinking night ever when i was doing shots of zombies or something..similar

albrecht

Quote from: trostol on February 03, 2017, 07:38:13 PM
i think i had the worst drinking night ever when i was doing shots of zombies or something..similar
Harvey Wallbangers. Ugh, so much juice and sugar. Juice in drinks, unless a morning or brunch restorative or a few sundowners is ok. But for a session all night. Not good. "At all," to use a Norryism.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on February 03, 2017, 07:48:43 PM
Harvey Wallbangers. Ugh, so much juice and sugar. Juice in drinks, unless a morning or brunch restorative or a few sundowners is ok. But for a session all night. Not good. "At all," to use a Norryism.

You can add this data point to your model:  A regrettable nite (and the following 24 hrs.) involving pitchers of strawberry margaritas in Tijuana.

zeebo

Quote from: Étouffée on February 03, 2017, 02:42:32 PM
zeebo, that describes my feelings about Hoagie. too.  He has a sort of cockeyed energetic optimism (certainly about himself, if not the cosmos), that is endearing (when it's not being infuriating).

lol I couldn't have said it better myself, even though I kinda tried.   :D   Fine line between endearing / infuriating.  I've gone from slowly shaking my head, musing "ah c'mon, no, no" .. to thrashing it wildy yelling "No, No, wtf No!"

Dyna-X

Bellgab has definitely left the main sequence and is well on its way to being like Sirius B.
Those with the intellect to get it will be wiping their favorite morning beverage from their monitor.

For all the rest, carry on....

zeebo

Quote from: Dyna-X on February 04, 2017, 07:39:16 AM
For all the rest, carry on....

I'll take Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.  Make it a double. 

paladin1991

Quote from: zeebo on February 04, 2017, 07:58:16 PM

Double up on those doubles. I'm buying.

pate

Quote from: zeebo on February 04, 2017, 07:58:16 PM

I'd \liek to see what a D'jinn anna Tronic test out to bee.

.Bejuses Kneesis On Topic.

Whoa..

pate

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 03, 2017, 05:21:41 PM
Don't all you real sciencey people have some other forum to post on?  >:(

I blame you for Hoaxes brexit.

Ciardelo

Quote from: pate on February 06, 2017, 02:57:06 AM
I blame you for Hoaxes brexit.

You've been doubling up on the doubles if you think I had anything to do with it. Did you ever get your free book?

pate

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 06, 2017, 04:12:29 AM
You've been doubling up on the doubles if you think I had anything to do with it. Did you ever get your free book?

Witch tri-plete entente do you tak in yore>? 

Pave-Low kepping/kippering..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-qI-aSg-I

LI-KATA!

paladin1991

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 06, 2017, 04:12:29 AM
No free book.  You?