• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Great New Idea For A Hat Just Waiting To Be Commercially Exploited

Started by Dr. MD MD, January 03, 2017, 01:41:33 AM

Dr. MD MD

OK, bare with me here. I think it will be worth it.  ;)

If people dare to discuss conspiracy theories others will often brush it off by telling them to go put on their tinfoil hat. However, the science behind why one would wear a tinfoil hat is sound. Aluminum is a non-conductive metal. So, if you were trying to protect yourself from electricity or some sort of directed energy beam it would be a good choice of material to use. Then I thought about the Tommy Copper knee brace I sometimes use that is, apparently, infused with copper throughout the fabric. Well, if that's possible then surely an aluminum infused hat of some sort should be possible. It would just look like a normal hat but only you would know it's actually tinfoil. Think of the commercial possibilities of such an item. If I had the time, inclination and energy to do it I might try myself but I'm too busy with other things lately. Someone should do this though. I want my fashionable tinfoil toque!  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 03, 2017, 02:01:13 AM
It's been done.

No, not a goofy looking hat covered in foil but a cool looking one made with aluminum fabric.  ;)

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 02:08:31 AM
No, not a goofy looking hat covered in foil but a cool looking one made with aluminum fabric.  ;)
Can't find any Fedora's, but if you live where it gets cold, you might want to try this...
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stylish-tinfoil-hats-kickstarter-campaign-article-1.2477956

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 01:41:33 AM
However, the science behind why one would wear a tinfoil hat is sound. Aluminum is a non-conductive metal. So, if you were trying to protect yourself from electricity or some sort of directed energy beam it would be a good choice of material to use.
I generally hate pointing out flaws in reasoning- but I think I found one.  Sometimes when I open a main electrical panel I will find myself wearing protective clothing to prevent death.  I will wear non conductive boots and gloves and generally eye protection.  I try to be sure that the eye protection is clean, scratch free and provides good visibility so that I do not accidentally brush against the aluminum feeder wire (high voltage is usually carried by aluminum wire as it is much cheaper than copper and has around 60% the conductivity of copper.)

I'm not sure that I would suggest aluminum to protect yourself from electricity... ;)

Here is a useful chart on what not to use for your stated purpose (an old fashioned steel hard hat would even be a better choice...)

Material IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard)
Metal           % Conductivity*
Silver (Pure)   105%
Copper           100%
Gold (Pure)   70%
Aluminum           61%
Brass           28%
Zinc             27%
Nickel           22%
Iron (Pure)   17%
Tin                   15%
Phosphor Bronze   15%
Steel                  3-15%
Lead (Pure)   7%
Nickel Aluminum Bronze   7%

* Conductivity ratings are expressed as a relative measurement to copper. A 100% rating does not indicate no resistance.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on January 03, 2017, 02:40:50 AM
I generally hate pointing out flaws in reasoning- but I think I found one.  Sometimes when I open a main electrical panel I will find myself wearing protective clothing to prevent death.  I will wear non conductive boots and gloves and generally eye protection.  I try to be sure that the eye protection is clean, scratch free and provides good visibility so that I do not accidentally brush against the aluminum feeder wire (high voltage is usually carried by aluminum wire as it is much cheaper than copper and has around 60% the conductivity of copper.)

I'm not sure that I would suggest aluminum to protect yourself from electricity... ;)

Here is a useful chart on what not to use for your stated purpose...

Material IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard)
Metal           % Conductivity*
Silver (Pure)   105%
Copper           100%
Gold (Pure)   70%
Aluminum           61%
Brass           28%
Zinc             27%
Nickel           22%
Iron (Pure)   17%
Tin                   15%
Phosphor Bronze   15%
Steel                  3-15%
Lead (Pure)   7%
Nickel Aluminum Bronze   7%

* Conductivity ratings are expressed as a relative measurement to copper. A 100% rating does not indicate no resistance.

Let's go with the alloy then.  ;)

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 02:43:21 AM
Let's go with the alloy then.  ;)
Works for me...  But why not just go with the tired and tested (and stylish) polymer hat?  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on January 03, 2017, 02:48:00 AM
Works for me...  But why not just go with the tired and tested (and stylish) polymer hat?  ;)

Not form fitting enough. It must be a non-conductive alloy infused fabric. Make it happen and let me know when we're ready for testing!  8)

Juan

There was a Harvard study previously posted on Bellgab that proves tin foil (aluminum) hats increase radiation to the brain rather than reduce it.  Perhaps if one grounded the aluminum it would work, but who wants to be attached to a ground wire connected to a pipe in the ground?

whoozit

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 01:41:33 AM
OK, bare with me here. I think it will be worth it.  ;)
This is all a plot to get a bunch of naked people around you.  I'm not falling for it.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Juan on January 03, 2017, 05:42:39 AM
There was a Harvard study previously posted on Bellgab that proves tin foil (aluminum) hats increase radiation to the brain rather than reduce it.  Perhaps if one grounded the aluminum it would work, but who wants to be attached to a ground wire connected to a pipe in the ground?

Source?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: cweb on January 03, 2017, 06:48:51 AM
Waiting for the full-body Faraday Cage post...

oops

No, you're on the right wavelength here. That was going to be the next step after the hat.  ;)