• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Late Night Talk Radio Malaise

Started by Dr. MD MD, December 16, 2016, 01:59:43 AM

Dr. MD MD

Art's show melted down and we all had some lolz over that. Some of us tried our best to give Heather a shot but she just didn't pan out in comparison. Hoagie's show became increasingly sporadic until he stopped broadcasting altogether awhile back. Many held out hope that bateman would be the new Art Bell but even he stopped doing his show around the same time. Amy's show is often great but even she is down to 3 nights a week with many of them being cancelled for various reasons, none of which I hold against her. Nonetheless, here we are, with all the election hoopla dying down even Bellgab is starting to become somewhat dormant. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I thought I'd open the floor to suggestions or just general bitching and shitposting.  ;)

akwilly

To bad ghosts show isnt played live later in the evening

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: akwilly on December 16, 2016, 02:20:32 AM
To bad ghosts show isnt played live later in the evening

I like his show but mostly just for the radio graffiti section to hear him get trolled and go nuts...so I usually only tune in once a week or so for that fix.

akwilly

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 16, 2016, 02:25:01 AM
I like his show but mostly just for the radio graffiti section to hear him get trolled and go nuts...so I usually only tune in once a week or so for that fix.
radio graffiti used to be my favorite part of the show but now I find the 1st hour when he covers the markets my favorite part.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: akwilly on December 16, 2016, 02:30:28 AM
radio graffiti used to be my favorite part of the show but now I find the 1st hour when he covers the markets my favorite part.

I only invest in gold, silver and reverse mortgage companies now.  ;)

akwilly

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 16, 2016, 02:40:56 AM
I only invest in gold, silver and reverse mortgage companies now.  ;)
awe come on man, the real money is in Lean Hogs!!!!!

norland2424

its the bellgab curse, this webzone kills shows  :-\

akwilly

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 16, 2016, 02:49:45 AM
I'm listening.  :D
Haha I only play the stock market but I freakin love when ghost does the commodity market and flips the hell out every time the lean hog prices move. Lately he has been raging at the price of rubber lol

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: akwilly on December 16, 2016, 03:14:31 AM
Haha I only play the stock market but I freakin love when ghost does the commodity market and flips the hell out every time the lean hog prices move. Lately he has been raging at the price of rubber lol

Isn't hog futures how Hillary turned $1000 into $100000?  :D

This website started with Noory and it will end with Noory whether we like it or not.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 16, 2016, 04:04:31 AM
This website started with Noory and it will end with Noory whether we like it or not.

Bah! Humbug!  >:(

Juan

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 16, 2016, 03:53:26 AM
Isn't hog futures how Hillary turned $1000 into $100000?  :D
Cattle futures

There's always Pastor Butch.

Kidnostad3

Could it be that paranormal/conspiracy oriented late night talk radio shows have become so repetitive and formulaic that they continue to hold the interest of only the newbies or the duller witted amongst us.  I believe that in the ten or so years I have been listening to such programs, I have heard every possible take on UFOs/aliens, Bigfoot, the Kennedy assasination, 9/11, Operation Paper Clip, the Pyramids etc. ad tedium.  With the exception of a very few author's humping their books on these programs, none bring anything really new or interesting to the table nevermind anything intellectually satisfying.  Most of the so called radio personalities are ego bound jerks that engage in a whole lot of mutual masturbation with their sycophant regulars or those hoping to become their sycophant regulars.  Some start out their programs with a long winded diatribe on a topic and then repeat what they already told us in the first half hour for the next 3 1/2 hours.  Nothing more has to be said about the most listened to of these programs, C2C AM, than to say that George Noory hosts it 5 nights a week (although I do enjoy listening to a few of the weekend stand-ins.) 

If one examines the content of these shows it becomes clear that there is never any real break-through information in the material presented in terms of new proofs of theories or claims despite the high-pitched advanced hype.  I always come away feeling foolish for having had any expectation that something solid would be forthcoming.  How many times has there been a lot of hoopla about some discovery or prediction that later has proven to be pure bullshit.  In guess that I have arrived at the point where I listen to these programs on a highly selective basis and never on commercial radio.  My interest will continue to dwindle until someone comes up with a program wherein a mentally sharp and  engaging host takes more of an objective approach to the information presented by guests and asks the penetrating questions that the average open minded sceptic among listeners would ask. Some new subject matter would also help, even it is something that is less mainstream paranormal (to use an obvious oxi moron) and more fact-based albeit less sensational.   I think the hosts that come closest to the ideal are George Knapp when hosting C2C on Sundays and Howard Hughs who streams on Sketcher.

Lilith

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on December 16, 2016, 11:29:31 AM
Could it be that paranormal/conspiracy oriented late night talk radio shows have become so repetitive and formulaic that they continue to hold the interest of only the newbies or the duller witted amongst us.  I believe that in the ten or so years I have been listening to such programs, I have heard every possible take on UFOs/aliens, Bigfoot, the Kennedy assasination, 9/11, Operation Paper Clip, the Pyramids etc. ad tedium.  With the exception of a very few author's humping their books on these programs, none bring anything really new or interesting to the table nevermind anything intellectually satisfying.  Most of the so called radio personalities are ego bound jerks that engage in a whole lot of mutual masturbation with their sycophant regulars or those hoping to become their sycophant regulars.  Some start out their programs with a long winded diatribe on a topic and then repeat what they already told us in the first half hour for the next 3 1/2 hours.  Nothing more has to be said about the most listened to of these programs, C2C AM, than to say that George Noory hosts it 5 nights a week (although I do enjoy listening to a few of the weekend stand-ins.) 

If one examines the content of these shows it becomes clear that there is never any real break-through information in the material presented in terms of new proofs of theories or claims despite the high-pitched advanced hype.  I always come away feeling foolish for having had any expectation that something solid would be forthcoming.  How many times has there been a lot of hoopla about some discovery or prediction that later has proven to be pure bullshit.  In guess that I have arrived at the point where I listen to these programs on a highly selective basis and never on commercial radio.  My interest will continue to dwindle until someone comes up with a program wherein a mentally sharp and  engaging host takes more of an objective approach to the information presented by guests and asks the penetrating questions that the average open minded sceptic among listeners would ask. Some new subject matter would also help, even it is something that is less mainstream paranormal (to use an obvious oxi moron) and more fact-based albeit less sensational.   I think the hosts that come closest to the ideal are George Knapp when hosting C2C on Sundays and Howard Hughs who streams on Sketcher.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I now tend to stick with current events analysis and opinion like Savage and Clyde offer.  Wells, seems to have gotten himself comfortable in the  easy, no work required, repetitive guest scenario, with very few exceptions, very sad to say.  I had hopes for Wells to be the best of the best, and maybe he could have been, but I feel that he got lazy, or something.

Dr. MD MD

I blame Noory for this. He really killed it that way. However, I've heard shows from bateman and Amy that let me know it doesn't have to be that way. BTW, I'm sure there are probably skeptic podacasts out there somewhere, if that's your thing now.  ;)

bateman

Most hosts simply don't know how to structure a compelling show OR are more interested in self-aggrandizement than the subject matter.

Lilith

Quote from: bateman on December 16, 2016, 03:46:00 PM
Most hosts simply don't know how to structure a compelling show OR are more interested in self-aggrandizement than the subject matter.

For sure.  If anybody with a voice, a computer,  a phone, and a microphone could do it, well, lets face it, we'd all be doing it.  lol's

:-*

Corona Kitty

You can just say Clyde Lewis, you won't get in trouble.

Big Chicken

Quote from: Juan on December 16, 2016, 04:32:51 AM
Cattle futures

There's always Pastor Butch.

Indeed, although Butch has been a little bummed out lately. 

Hog

Quote from: brigâ,,¢Â©2015 on December 16, 2016, 11:38:32 AM
I agree wholeheartedly.  I now tend to stick with current events analysis and opinion like Savage and Clyde offer.  Wells, seems to have gotten himself comfortable in the  easy, no work required, repetitive guest scenario, with very few exceptions, very sad to say.  I had hopes for Wells to be the best of the best, and maybe he could have been, but I feel that he got lazy, or something.
Hey Brig, since you listen to Savage, this is about the best site I have found.  It has been online for many years now and you can download the shows minus the freaking commercials. 3 hours of live radio boils down to 1:42:00 of actual Savage talk, well minus the short clips of his "heavy metal" bumper music.

Go to
http://conservativestream.com/
then hover your mouse over "Michael Savage" on the left hand side, then if you wish to download a commercial free show current show, click on "current MP3 shows" then click on whatever date of show you wish. 

or

Here is the direct link that I always use as it's direct to the downloadable MP3's that I use.  I have the last 3 years saved.
http://conservativestream.com/recorded-shows/savage.php

Monday to Wednesday that same days show is usually posted by 10:00pm, lately the Thursday and Friday shows being posted has been a tad slow.  Right now it is 7:55 Eastern Standard Time(EST) on Friday December 16, and while the Thursday show was uploaded sometime today(maybe even early AM of Thursday) Fridays show is usually updated on Saturday.

These MP3 shows are listed as having commercial breaks, but all we hear is the bumper music, which is Metallica's "Master of Puppets" from the Master of Puppets album, then Motley Crue's "If Looks Could Kill" from the album "Shout at the Devil and then  "Shortest Straw" from the ..And Justice for All" album and the older Metallica song "jump In the Fire" off of the album Kill 'em All, we dont actually hear the commercials, well at least most of them.  I cant remember if the commercials that Savage reads himself are played or not.  Savage did some Gold buying spots, but I cant remember if that was on the air or on the podcasts I was listening to?
If you wish the listen to some older shows, then select the MP3 archives and enjoy. The oldest one listed is from August 21, 2009.

This is the same Savage site that I posted in the Art Bell thread a couple weeks ago.  MV thanked me for posting the link and he also mentioned that it has a RSS(Rich Site Summary) feed IIRC which allows a "podcatcher" to autodownload as soon as the new show is posted.  (Yes, I just looked back and in post 100,863 MV mentions it has a RSS feed) Not sure how its accessed though, perhaps MV will see this, or perhaps someone else could offer assistance.

peace
Hog

trostol

in the end there is nothing new idea wise for the late night show..paranormal/weird/what have you has been done to death..business politics is usually found all day...science would be interesting but you need a good host that can help listeners understand some of the ..facts presented and other niches wouldn't be to a wide audience ..like gaming..be it video..table top..what have you..movies..in other words a nerd show wouldn;t have a decent size audience at night

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 16, 2016, 01:59:43 AM
Art's show melted down and we all had some lolz over that. Some of us tried our best to give Heather a shot but she just didn't pan out in comparison. Hoagie's show became increasingly sporadic until he stopped broadcasting altogether awhile back. Many held out hope that bateman would be the new Art Bell but even he stopped doing his show around the same time. Amy's show is often great but even she is down to 3 nights a week with many of them being cancelled for various reasons, none of which I hold against her. Nonetheless, here we are, with all the election hoopla dying down even Bellgab is starting to become somewhat dormant. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I thought I'd open the floor to suggestions or just general bitching and shitposting.  ;)

Falkie needs a show

zeebo

...If one examines the content of these shows it becomes clear that there is never any real break-through information in the material presented in terms of new proofs of theories or claims despite the high-pitched advanced hype....

It's harder nowadays to suspend disbelief since we've got so many more sources for this stuff.  It was simpler back in the pre-podcast/pre-google 90's to get caught up in Art's largely solitary channel for fringe topics. 

Here's what I do to still find some entertainment from the genre:

1)  Focus on legit academic sources especially in the sciences - alot of that stuff is fascinating and for real, it's just under-reported across mainstream outlets. (e.g. Amy had a show on the ideas behind Project Starshot which was very compelling radio to me.)
2)  If I'm already familiar with a certain paranormal-type topic, I listen for the interesting wrinkles - such as a psychic I heard awhile back who specializes in receiving of all things, old family recipes from those who've passed on.  (e.g. One caller found out how to make his grandma's macaroni casserole!)
3)  When it's somewhat plausible stuff, but I'm just not buying it, I enjoy the speculation, much like if reading good sci-fi/fantasy/alternate history stories.  I don't get too upset if some guest is claiming absolute truth of whatever, I just have fun mulling over the concepts.  (e.g. Hoagie claims we'll find an ancient e.t. library somewhere in the solar system - I think not, however theoretically it is possible, so it's fun to wonder what would happen if we did?)
4)  If it's all gone way over the top into aburdity I just grab another beer and laugh my ass off.

Lilith

Quote from: Hog on December 16, 2016, 06:55:33 PM
Hey Brig, since you listen to Savage, this is about the best site I have found.  It has been online for many years now and you can download the shows minus the freaking commercials. 3 hours of live radio boils down to 1:42:00 of actual Savage talk, well minus the short clips of his "heavy metal" bumper music.

Go to
http://conservativestream.com/
then hover your mouse over "Michael Savage" on the left hand side, then if you wish to download a commercial free show current show, click on "current MP3 shows" then click on whatever date of show you wish. 

or

Here is the direct link that I always use as it's direct to the downloadable MP3's that I use.  I have the last 3 years saved.
http://conservativestream.com/recorded-shows/savage.php

Monday to Wednesday that same days show is usually posted by 10:00pm, lately the Thursday and Friday shows being posted has been a tad slow.  Right now it is 7:55 Eastern Standard Time(EST) on Friday December 16, and while the Thursday show was uploaded sometime today(maybe even early AM of Thursday) Fridays show is usually updated on Saturday.

These MP3 shows are listed as having commercial breaks, but all we hear is the bumper music, which is Metallica's "Master of Puppets" from the Master of Puppets album, then Motley Crue's "If Looks Could Kill" from the album "Shout at the Devil and then  "Shortest Straw" from the ..And Justice for All" album and the older Metallica song "jump In the Fire" off of the album Kill 'em All, we dont actually hear the commercials, well at least most of them.  I cant remember if the commercials that Savage reads himself are played or not.  Savage did some Gold buying spots, but I cant remember if that was on the air or on the podcasts I was listening to?
If you wish the listen to some older shows, then select the MP3 archives and enjoy. The oldest one listed is from August 21, 2009.

This is the same Savage site that I posted in the Art Bell thread a couple weeks ago.  MV thanked me for posting the link and he also mentioned that it has a RSS(Rich Site Summary) feed IIRC which allows a "podcatcher" to autodownload as soon as the new show is posted.  (Yes, I just looked back and in post 100,863 MV mentions it has a RSS feed) Not sure how its accessed though, perhaps MV will see this, or perhaps someone else could offer assistance.

peace
Hog

Bless your heart Hog!  I also use the podcast links at the second link you gave.  I saved the Nov8th and 9th ones for forever!!!  Thank You!  :-*