Started by DanTSX, December 04, 2013, 06:49:10 AM

DanTSX

Google glass Glassholes that is....

Thinking of getting some

Worried about Falkie getting some

More worried about Casio getting some.

How do yewwwwww like them?

area51drone

Casio with google glasses, streaming live, would be an amazing experience.   If you get them, post what you think of them, I'm curious to see if you get kicked out of places and stuff.

onan

Quote from: DanTSX on December 04, 2013, 06:49:10 AM
Google glass Glassholes that is....

Thinking of getting some

Worried about Falkie getting some

More worried about Casio getting some.

How do yewwwwww like them?

Never sure if you want a real conversation or are just setting someone up... (not that is a bad thing). I am a bit of a luddite. I don't see any real value in what I see as the product. I don't know about you, but I really don't want to have a conversation with someone that will wiki for information to continue a friendly conversation. And I don't need or want a Siri type voice or text to edify my daily walk around town. I don't care that the building I just passed was built over a 100 years ago or that Britney Spears screwed someone in it last week.

DanTSX

Quote from: onan on December 11, 2013, 05:35:24 AM
Never sure if you want a real conversation or are just setting someone up... (not that is a bad thing). I am a bit of a luddite. I don't see any real value in what I see as the product. I don't know about you, but I really don't want to have a conversation with someone that will wiki for information to continue a friendly conversation. And I don't need or want a Siri type voice or text to edify my daily walk around town. I don't care that the building I just passed was built over a 100 years ago or that Britney Spears screwed someone in it last week.

I want to hear other peoples thoughts on them and how they would use them.   I think that their potential has yet to be realized and want to know how others see themselves using them. 

You seem to indicate that I'm asking a loaded question?

Siri is neat because I can tell my phone to set a follow up appointment while At the doctors office without having to dick around my phone's calendar app, etc, et

onan

Quote from: DanTSX on December 11, 2013, 06:28:43 AM

I want to hear other peoples thoughts on them and how they would use them.   I think that their potential has yet to be realized and want to know how others see themselves using them. 

You seem to indicate that I'm asking a loaded question?

Siri is neat because I can tell my phone to set a follow up appointment while At the doctors office without having to dick around my phone's calendar app, etc, et

Yeah I can see how that would be helpful. But just doesn't seem to rise to the level of necessity I need. I kind of like a bit of disorganization in people. I do have to admit to a certain fascination in the gadget, though.

Quote from: DanTSX on December 11, 2013, 06:28:43 AM

I am planning on getting some. I would like to use them for baseball scouting. I'm going to try and customize them for football scouting for Uncle Lou.

Probably rig up some barcode scanner functionality as well-lets you scan a bar code and return prices from around the internet, ebays and amazons etc.

Juan

They will be extremely successful when someone sets them up for sex.

DanTSX

Quote from: Juan on December 12, 2013, 10:24:56 AM

That was probably what I am going to do.

FPS of me airing out the wife

Streaming live on dorkmatterradio network

onan

Quote from: Juan on December 12, 2013, 10:24:56 AM

the day they make virtual sex with tactile sensations... traffic on the streets will be very light. On the interwebs... very heavy.

Remember that movie Videodrome with James Woods?

DanTSX

I just checked some of my favorite p0rntube type sites like xnxx and redtube

A search for google glass reveals that this segment of oanism and debauchery is already in full swing

And the future is bright indeed! 8)

Carry on

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 11, 2013, 05:05:38 PM
Probably rig up some barcode scanner functionality as well-lets you scan a bar code and return prices from around the internet, ebays and amazons etc.

You just gave me a fucking awesome idea.  Thank you.

area51drone

I finally got my invite to purchase glass today, but fuck I am not going to pay $1500 for that.  $400 maybe.  $1500, really?? Shit.

Wintermute

I spent 30mins with them at a CES demo last year. To me, they have not developed enough useful HUD apps to make them viable.

I think the #1 application for G-Glass is in the car. Why:

1. Selective HUD for driving is long over due.
2. The smartphone is taking over the car stereo. G-Glass HUD is the perfect interface.
3. In the car, very few people can see how stupid you look with those glasses on.

Augmented reality is the name of the game with this product. Until they make it useful, I'm out.

DanTSX

Quote from: Wintermute on January 04, 2014, 08:33:24 AM
I spent 30mins with them at a CES demo last year. To me, they have not developed enough useful HUD apps to make them viable.

I think the #1 application for G-Glass is in the car. Why:

1. Selective HUD for driving is long over due.
2. The smartphone is taking over the car stereo. G-Glass HUD is the perfect interface.
3. In the car, very few people can see how stupid you look with those glasses on.

Augmented reality is the name of the game with this product. Until they make it useful, I'm out.

I think that the intended methodology is for you to figure out how to make it useful.  It's nothing but a tiny screen and microphone without your input and use.

I am, or was, rather violently opposed to them.  I saw some narcissistic twathead sitting across from me on the airport shuttle wearing one.  I held up a folder I was carrying to block him from being able to record my face during the entire ride.  I plan to continue making scenes in situations where people are wearing them.  Maybe if enough people exit restaurants because of their presence the owners will start banning them.  Another hope I am falling back upon is that they are subject to the "Segway Effect"...meaning that you look so goddamn ghey using it that no one wants to bother with it.

Just when my fury at the general asshattedness of Generation Me and the goddamn glassholes was reaching a fever pitch, I suddenly realized that they could vastly improve the communication between Deaf people and hearing people.  Gesture recognition software is getting pretty good, enough so that it will be going into devices fairly soon.  Google fuckin Glass, properly configured with that software, could provide point-of-use translation of sign language.  It wouldn't be any better than other machine translation that's available, but it would be way way better than communicating through gestures and writing notes.  People at commercial outlets or at various public service locations (help desks, information booths, public servants) could wear them, providing a much greater level of ability to communicate with Deaf people.  For Deaf people, they could wear Google fuckin Glasses and have speech translated into sign language that is displayed on the eyeball window thingy.

I hate Google fuckin Glass with a passion, but I think it could be a transformative technology in the lives of Deaf people.

I can vaguely recall a commercial featuring this sort of technology; it showed a young blond man (who looked like a spoiled brat, BTW) at a public place -- a fountain or something -- barking out orders, gesticulating, and carrying on like a self-important asshole.  Not the best impression.  Fine... you're an early adapter GoogleGlass Guy.  Do you have to be a complete jerk about it?

wr250

AMC movie theater calls FBI to arrest a Google Glass user
A long time Gadgeteer reader contacted me today through Google Hangouts to tell me that he had a story that he thought I’d be interested in reading. He then forwarded me a long email with a story from a very good friend of his. It was such a surprising story that I asked if I could have permission to post it here on The Gadgeteer. I ended up communicating with the author of the story and have posted it here for everyone to read…
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/01/20/amc-movie-theater-calls-fbi-to-arrest-a-google-glass-user/

analog kid

I'd like an Oculus Rift with front facing camera, noise canceling headphones and augmented reality software. Anyone annoying can be edited out in real time. Or covered in a big red X and their audio cut.

Huh? Wut?

aldousburbank

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on January 09, 2014, 07:56:16 PM
I hate Google fuckin Glass with a passion, but I think it could be a transformative technology in the lives of Deaf people.
And the blind cuz they won't know how ghey they appear to others... or, but, and...

Quote from: wr250 on January 21, 2014, 06:58:03 AM
AMC movie theater calls FBI to arrest a Google Glass user
A long time Gadgeteer reader contacted me today through Google Hangouts to tell me that he had a story that he thought I’d be interested in reading. He then forwarded me a long email with a story from a very good friend of his. It was such a surprising story that I asked if I could have permission to post it here on The Gadgeteer. I ended up communicating with the author of the story and have posted it here for everyone to read…
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/01/20/amc-movie-theater-calls-fbi-to-arrest-a-google-glass-user/

I left the following comment, which seems to have been deleted by the moderators:

Wait.  Wat?  You spent $2100 on some electronic trinket that you took to a venue where you never planned to use it?  Why would you do that?

"the AMC employees (guy tearing tickets at the entrance, girl at the concession stand) have asked me about Glass in the past and I have told them how awesome Glass is with every occasion."

Ah, I see.  You're a typical Glass user.

Say, after you've milked this incident for all the attention you can ("email me for more details about this atrocity"), why don't you carry a firearm into the theatre?  When the authorities pounce, tell them that it's unloaded, you weren't going to use it, and no one said anything last time so it must be okay.

When that plays out, ride a motorcycle into the theatre.  After all, there's no signs posted that say you can't, amiright?  And if one of those fascists so much as lays a finger on you, sue the socks off of him.

Good video on google glass

"Google's (in)famous face wear has an extremely high sticker price, but the parts inside cost less than $80."

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2014/05/06/t-ts-google-glass-teardown.cnnmoney/index.html?iid=HP_River

b_dubb

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 10, 2014, 09:15:09 PM
Good video on google glass

"Google's (in)famous face wear has an extremely high sticker price, but the parts inside cost less than $80."

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2014/05/06/t-ts-google-glass-teardown.cnnmoney/index.html?iid=HP_River
Maybe the product was meant to be called Google Ass?

Kelt

Wearable technology is the way ahead, I suppose.

A hundred years from now it'll probably be integrated into the human body, either via prosthetics or plug-ins.

Doubtless there will be a time where your voice activated contact lenses replace Google Glass, and people will just be walking along the street, or flying along the street in their Hoverpantsâ,,¢, seemingly having a conversation with themselves, wirelessly plugged into the web 24/7, with information and communication always available on voice command.

We're going to miss out on a LOT of cool, cool shit. 

Of course I balance that with the knowledge that future generations will be knee deep in Arctic Melt, dealing with extreme weather, baking heat, increased solar radiation, and music that sucks so bad you want to kill every child on the planet so that there's no longer a market for Justin Beiber or that idiot chick who wears fucking bacon.

So it's swings and it's roundabouts.

Anyway, Google Glass? Yes. 

Chick in bacon? Hand me my rifle.