• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 17, 2017, 11:50:57 PM
It said I had a sickness quotent of 66%. Is this a good thing, right?

Just hit the retabulate button until you get an answer you can live with.

GravitySucks

Episode 310 of The Unexplained with Howard Hughes is the interview that Hoagland could have (and should have) done when he had James Burke on OSOM.

Nobody

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 18, 2017, 07:10:21 AM
Episode 310 of The Unexplained with Howard Hughes is the interview that Hoagland could have (and should have) done when he had James Burke on OSOM.

Does anyone else share my impression that James Burke's appearance was the result of his falling victim to a particularly misguided practical joke?

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 18, 2017, 07:10:21 AM

YES!  Listened to it a few days ago.  It still pains me how Hoagie fumbled that; and of course tried to make it about him.  Pathetic.

Quote from: Nobody on September 18, 2017, 10:57:39 AM
Does anyone else share my impression that James Burke's appearance was the result of his falling victim to a particularly misguided practical joke?

It had to have been.  I recall everybody so excited about this, but at the same time wondering 'How did this come about?' 

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on September 18, 2017, 07:26:18 PM
YES!  Listened to it a few days ago.  It still pains me how Hoagie fumbled that; and of course tried to make it about him.  Pathetic.

It had to have been.  I recall everybody so excited about this, but at the same time wondering 'How did this come about?'

Oh. So you were just going to sit on it and keep it all to yourself. So much for the "East of the Rockies" line. Pffft

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 18, 2017, 09:12:24 PM
Oh. So you were just going to sit on it and keep it all to yourself. So much for the "East of the Rockies" line. Pffft

I feel shame.  :(

PaulAtreides

Dear Richard:

"Hang on, hang on, hang on" is truly the most annoying thing you say.  Every time I hear it it's like fingernails on a blackboard.  Really, when your guests are speaking, SHUT THE FUCK UP.  Do not speak until someone has handed you the talking stick.  Half the time after one of your countless interruptions, the conversation never reverts to the original comment and that thought is lost. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: PaulAtreides on September 20, 2017, 09:01:34 AM
Dear Richard:

"Hang on, hang on, hang on" is truly the most annoying thing you say.  Every time I hear it it's like fingernails on a blackboard.  Really, when your guests are speaking, SHUT THE FUCK UP.  Do not speak until someone has handed you the talking stick.  Half the time after one of your countless interruptions, the conversation never reverts to the original comment and that thought is lost.

And? Don't you know its about him? Well?

Nobody

Quote from: PaulAtreides on September 20, 2017, 09:26:00 AM
No, for 33 cents a day, it's about the 19.5 subscriber.

I hope you're just having a laugh (it's not always easy to tell on the InterTubes).  I say this because, if you genuinely believe that, you're only setting yourself up to be disappointed.

When you stop and consider Hoagland's yet-to-be fulfilled promise of a "recently completed" (his words) book that was meant to serve as some sort of half-arsed apology for a then-two-month "hiatus" that stretched into an eight-month hiatus despite repeated promises from Hoagland that he was going to be back on the air "any day now" and his ever-increasing number of no-shows on a two-days-a-week broadcast schedule and his doubling the cost of listening to him tell you how clever he is whenever he can be bothered to actually show up, it quickly becomes apparent that the only people Hoagland abuses worse than his guests are his subscribers.

(And considering how badly he abuses his guests, that's really saying something.)

Long story short, the only person Hoagland has ever cared about, does care about, and will ever care about is Hoagland.  If you're under the impression that your 33 cents a day is going to obtain anything at all from him in the way of care or consideration, you'd get better value for your money by handing it to the next homeless chap you see on the street. 

Even a homeless chap with a 3-Litre of White Ace (or the American equivalent) in him is still unlikely to talk half as much bollocks as Hoagland does, the Ace will keep him warm, and he might even share it with his mates (which is more than Hoagland would ever do).

astroguy

Quote from: PaulAtreides on September 20, 2017, 09:26:00 AM
No, for 33 cents a day, it's about the 19.5 subscriber.
They say 33¢/day, but in reality, it's a minimum of $1/show IF he managed to do a live one every weekend and for that rare ~1 in 7 chance of a 30-day month starting on a Saturday or a 31-day month starting on a Friday or Saturday; otherwise, it's >$1/show.

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 19, 2017, 05:43:28 PM
No new sundress for you for one year.

I'm bringing back the tube top then!  Now only to find one to fit a 60 inch chest without looking like I'm wearing an Ace bandage.  :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ShayP on September 20, 2017, 05:24:09 PM
I'm bringing back the tube top then!  Now only to find one to fit a 60 inch chest without looking like I'm wearing an Ace bandage.  :D

Maybe an burlap onion sack with holes cut into it or an actual barrel connected to some suspenders.  ;)

ShayP

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 20, 2017, 06:54:03 PM
Maybe an burlap onion sack with holes cut into it or an actual barrel connected to some suspenders.  ;)

I like it.  Bringing some ol' fashioned stuff back in style.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on September 20, 2017, 09:34:05 PM
I like it.  Bringing some ol' fashioned stuff back in style.  ;)
And like how every hotel/motel now has to have that new arc-shaped shower curtain bar* (if they haven't expanded the actual shower) to accommodate the average American's girth the pickle-barrel with some suspenders would be a comfortable option of, at least, leisure wear- even more "comfortable" than sans-a-belt or the untucked shirt!

* shouldn't this be a wake-up call to the country? Or a revert to the "continental breakfast only" in the lobby for the establishment?  Even cheap motels are needing to retro-fit shower curtain rods because people are becoming too large for a regular sized shower/tub when standing in the shower?!

Juan Cena

Quote from: Nobody on September 20, 2017, 02:20:32 PM
I hope you're just having a laugh (it's not always easy to tell on the InterTubes).  I say this because, if you genuinely believe that, you're only setting yourself up to be disappointed.

When you stop and consider Hoagland's yet-to-be fulfilled promise of a "recently completed" (his words) book that was meant to serve as some sort of half-arsed apology for a then-two-month "hiatus" that stretched into an eight-month hiatus despite repeated promises from Hoagland that he was going to be back on the air "any day now" and his ever-increasing number of no-shows on a two-days-a-week broadcast schedule and his doubling the cost of listening to him tell you how clever he is whenever he can be bothered to actually show up, it quickly becomes apparent that the only people Hoagland abuses worse than his guests are his subscribers.

(And considering how badly he abuses his guests, that's really saying something.)

Long story short, the only person Hoagland has ever cared about, does care about, and will ever care about is Hoagland.  If you're under the impression that your 33 cents a day is going to obtain anything at all from him in the way of care or consideration, you'd get better value for your money by handing it to the next homeless chap you see on the street. 

Even a homeless chap with a 3-Litre of White Ace (or the American equivalent) in him is still unlikely to talk half as much bollocks as Hoagland does, the Ace will keep him warm, and he might even share it with his mates (which is more than Hoagland would ever do).

This actually describes Hoagie very well. Always homeless until he finds a new Robin that will take him in. He's on Robin VII now, I believe.

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on September 20, 2017, 10:43:10 PM
And like how every hotel/motel now has to have that new arc-shaped shower curtain bar* (if they haven't expanded the actual shower) to accommodate the average American's girth the pickle-barrel with some suspenders would be a comfortable option of, at least, leisure wear- even more "comfortable" than sans-a-belt or the untucked shirt!

* shouldn't this be a wake-up call to the country? Or a revert to the "continental breakfast only" in the lobby for the establishment?  Even cheap motels are needing to retro-fit shower curtain rods because people are becoming too large for a regular sized shower/tub when standing in the shower?!

Actually the curved bar is so the shower curtain doesn't get drawn into the shower when the water is running and people have 'elbow room' to wash themselves.

I'm hurt albrecht.  I'm a large man and you are shaming me.   :-\

...I kid.  ;)

WOTR

Quote from: ShayP on September 20, 2017, 11:16:57 PM
Actually the curved bar is so the shower curtain doesn't get drawn into the shower when the water is running and people have 'elbow room' to wash themselves.

...I kid.  ;)
Mr. P... It is good to see your name pop up on the board again.  Mr. Orange  is bac-
now you are here... Kind of gives me a warm feeling (and for once it is not just down the inside of my thigh after drinking too much...)  ???

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on September 20, 2017, 11:16:57 PM

...I kid.  ;)
Ha.  I think more shaming and hazing (both initially light and, of course, depending on age, occupation, and area,) and a general frowning-upon in normal public situations, would help our society get back to basics and normality and, yes, conformity in, at least, certain key areas. Instead of praising/encouraging criminality or deviance and, at the same time, "cracking down" and "locking people up" or giving heavy medication for the people who act like Hollywood, music, etc folks promote in real places stop it earlier by 'soft' methods of social pressure. Sure you have the "right" to do some things but that doesn't make it pleasant, a good thing, something that should be done without figuring how others might react or feel, and no reason why people must not, at least "frown-upon" or shun you, for doing so.

ShayP

Quote from: WOTR on September 20, 2017, 11:56:58 PM
Mr. P... It is good to see your name pop up on the board again.  Mr. Orange  is bac-
now you are here... Kind of gives me a warm feeling (and for once it is not just down the inside of my thigh after drinking too much...)  ???

Thank you.  8)  That warm feeling makes me get out of bed at 3:00 am.  I think I'll develop a biodegradable mattress that is made out of the stuff from pee pads and panty liners so I can just stay in bed...let loose...and then throw it out when it becomes saturated.  That warm feeling can be comforting though.  ;)

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on September 21, 2017, 12:17:21 AM
Ha.  I think more shaming and hazing (both initially light and, of course, depending on age, occupation, and area,) and a general frowning-upon in normal public situations, would help our society get back to basics and normality and, yes, conformity in, at least, certain key areas. Instead of praising/encouraging criminality or deviance and, at the same time, "cracking down" and "locking people up" or giving heavy medication for the people who act like Hollywood, music, etc folks promote in real places stop it earlier by 'soft' methods of social pressure. Sure you have the "right" to do some things but that doesn't make it pleasant, a good thing, something that should be done without figuring how others might react or feel, and no reason why people must not, at least "frown-upon" or shun you, for doing so.

I agree with you overall.  However, you didn't apologize for calling me a fat bastard.

Wait....

That was just in my head.   

Seriously...I kid.  Laugh for a change dammit!

Cheers albrecht!  :D

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on September 21, 2017, 12:35:49 AM
I agree with you overall.  However, you didn't apologize for calling me a fat bastard.

Wait....

That was just in my head.   

Seriously...I kid.  Laugh for a change dammit!

Cheers albrecht!  :D
Laughter is a sign of weakness. Kidding. Why doesn't anyone get Teutonic humor. Germans are funny dammit! Laugh or I will put a switch to you! Kidding.
I'm not for Taliban style 'discipline' but for common sense and decorum (on all sides.) During a hunting season in a relatively rural area I have no problem with you bringing a weapon into a store or walking around. During some Obama's Minion march in an urban area I have a problem with anyone, on either side but especially some KKK guy, "using their rights to walk around with a firearm." Likewise if I'm at a Slayer concert I don't mind some dude with a shirt that says "FUCK YOU" and some Goat-Allah-Christ-Buddah on it. But on a Sunday at the local HEB or restaurant with families and kids around after church out I don't like to see it. Sure, in both cases "you have the right" but there is also, or should be some sense of decorum and thoughts for others. (And common-sense.)
And what is wrong with parents, coaches, teachers, peer-group, etc using a bit of discipline or even shaming or other psychological pressure techniques? Jeez. With thought, of course, and limitations and proper monitoring but nothing motivates better than being 'called out' by your peer group or praised by people. (I'm not advocating only negative reinforcement.) There is a REASON why effective military units, socially cohesive systems, good sports teams, certain companies, and cultures and countries use social pressure. Because it works!

ps: never apologize. Sign of weakness. Change the argument, belabor the point, misdirect, or resort to other rhetorical maneuvers....  ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on September 21, 2017, 12:51:02 AM
Laughter is a sign of weakness. Kidding. Why doesn't anyone get Teutonic humor. Germans are funny dammit! Laugh or I will put a switch to you! Kidding.
I'm not for Taliban style 'discipline' but for common sense and decorum (on all sides.) During a hunting season in a relatively rural area I have no problem with you bringing a weapon into a store or walking around. During some Obama's Minion march in an urban area I have a problem with anyone, on either side but especially some KKK guy, "using their rights to walk around with a firearm." Likewise if I'm at a Slayer concert I don't mind some dude with a shirt that says "FUCK YOU" and some Goat-Allah-Christ-Buddah on it. But on a Sunday at the local HEB or restaurant with families and kids around after church out I don't like to see it. Sure, in both cases "you have the right" but there is also, or should be some sense of decorum and thoughts for others. (And common-sense.)
And what is wrong with parents, coaches, teachers, peer-group, etc using a bit of discipline or even shaming or other psychological pressure techniques? Jeez. With thought, of course, and limitations and proper monitoring but nothing motivates better than being 'called out' by your peer group or praised by people. (I'm not advocating only negative reinforcement.) There is a REASON why effective military units, socially cohesive systems, good sports teams, certain companies, and cultures and countries use social pressure. Because it works!

ps: never apologize. Sign of weakness. Change the argument, belabor the point, misdirect, or resort to other rhetorical maneuvers....  ;)

Go nuke a gay baby whale fetus for Christ!

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on September 21, 2017, 12:51:02 AM

I mean no offense when I say your posts can be a lot to digest.  ;D  I respect the stream of conscience statements.  However we are more similar than you may realize.  ;)  We are not strangers in this forum.  Again...I agree with you.  That being said...in perpetuity...CHEERS sir.  :D

**EDIT ~ I'm half German so, yeah...I get it.  ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on September 21, 2017, 01:02:21 AM
I mean no offense when I say your posts can be a lot to digest.  ;D  I respect the stream of conscience statements.  However we are more similar than you may realize.  ;)  We are not strangers in this forum.  Again...I agree with you.  That being said...in perpetuity...CHEERS sir.  :D

**EDIT ~ I'm half German so, yeah...I get it.  ;)

Albrecht has no unrealistic phobia concerning the Mississippi River.

ShayP

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 21, 2017, 01:13:30 AM
Albrecht has no unrealistic phobia concerning the Mississippi River.

Maybe Shay made a deal at the crossroads?  ???