• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Humanoid Pal for Japanese Astronaut

Started by Sardondi, December 02, 2012, 05:21:27 PM

Sardondi

Well, we should have expected it - the Japanese have developed what they are calling "a humanoid", "robot" and "android" to accompany Koichi Wakata on his six-month tour on the ISS beginning next Summer. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/9717238/Japanese-scientists-develop-humanoid-to-keep-astronauts-company.html

It's planned to be about 13-inches tall, will weigh about a kilogram and will recognize Wakata by facial features and will converse with him to keep him from being lonely. The name it will be called is as yet unknown to us. It's also unknown what, uh, concavities will be designed into it. But it is Japanese, so it goes without saying it will almost certainly have some personal service features built in. We in the West would doubtless find these functions perverse beyond imagination, if not physically impossible due to the diminutive size of the robot. But remember it's being built for a Japanese user, so there should be no problems at all. I mean with the mores and ethics of humanizing a robot, of course.

Imagine the conversations:

Andrpid: "Good 'morning', Wakata-san, or I should say 'early evening' since standard earth-hours have been eliminated on the ISS for your convenience and personalized biological clock."

Wakata: *grunt* *sniff* *cough*

Android: "I hope your rest period was pleasing."

Wakata: *inaudible* *throat-clearing* *spitting*

Android: "It is now Day 9 of your 6-month stay, and you have only another 171 days to share the space station with me. Would you like to play Go again? I have self-selected "child level" so that it is more enjoyable for you to play me."

Wakata: *growl*

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on December 02, 2012, 05:21:27 PM
It's also unknown what, uh, concavities will be designed into it. But it is Japanese, so it goes without saying it will almost certainly have some personal service features built in. We in the West would doubtless find these functions perverse beyond imagination, if not physically impossible due to the diminutive size of the robot. But remember it's being built for a Japanese user, so there should be no problems at all. I mean with the mores and ethics of humanizing a robot, of course.

What a gratuitous slap at Asian members! Thanks to Sardondi, no Japanese men will post here now. ;) 

McPhallus

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 02, 2012, 07:59:04 PM
What a gratuitous slap at Asian members! Thanks to Sardondi, no Japanese men will post here now. ;)

You have to admit the whole enema fetish thing is some fucked up shit.  "Not that there's......"

ziznak

I don't think Japanese people are stupid enough to trouble themselves with C2C and George "pizza roll" Snorey.  They are far too busy making weird ass cartoons filled with silly "roundeye" characters... oh yeah and going to school 24/7 and surpassing American kids like they own the place... hehe own the place... dont they already own half of America?? sounds like something JBW would say back in the 90's but who knows it's probly true.  Anyways, don't shit on our chinky friends... without them there would be no nintendo, pokemon, or gundam style dance videos...fucking idiots.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: McPhallus on December 02, 2012, 08:31:47 PM
You have to admit the whole enema fetish thing is some fucked up shit.  "Not that there's......"

In more ways than one. The Japanese are the kings and queens of fetishes. The companionship with calamari might be the strangest one. Who knew that "Octopus's Garden" was a love song for squid?

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: ziznak on December 02, 2012, 08:47:03 PM
I don't think Japanese people are stupid enough to trouble themselves with C2C and George "pizza roll" Snorey.  They are far too busy making weird ass cartoons filled with silly "roundeye" characters... oh yeah and going to school 24/7 and surpassing American kids like they own the place... hehe own the place... dont they already own half of America?? sounds like something JBW would say back in the 90's but who knows it's probly true.  Anyways, don't shit on our chinky friends... without them there would be no nintendo, pokemon, or gundam style dance videos...fucking idiots.

The Japanese "owned us" when "Miami Vice" was popular. They gave the title to the Chinese since the era of new wave and synth pop. They may pass the ownership torch to South Korea, up the road, for all we know. The Mongolian hordes must have caused some kind of inherited paranoia.

ziznak

Thinking more on the subject I can understand the need for some sort of companion other than oneself out there in space but why a creepy ass robot?  AI hasn't reached the point where it doesn't reek of automatonish lack of emotion.  Let me take a cat or a dog with me?  fucking ferret maybe.  something living and breathing that you can actually bond with as an organism.  With some sort of mammalian pet to take care of this guy would have added a little bit more meaning staying alive up there even though he's starting to go a lil nuts. 

regardless of what they send up if anything goes wrong you know whats gettin smashed first.

Sardondi

Quote from: ziznak on December 03, 2012, 10:52:04 AM
Thinking more on the subject I can understand the need for some sort of companion other than oneself out there in space but why a creepy ass robot?  AI hasn't reached the point where it doesn't reek of automatonish lack of emotion.  Let me take a cat or a dog with me?  fucking ferret maybe.  something living and breathing that you can actually bond with as an organism.  With some sort of mammalian pet to take care of this guy would have added a little bit more meaning staying alive up there even though he's starting to go a lil nuts. 

regardless of what they send up if anything goes wrong you know whats gettin smashed first.

Part of the point I was making is that IMO the Japanese apparently have a high tolerance for creepy robotry. They just don't have the same uncanny valley plot most Westerners do. And of course I mean this as a cultural phenomenon and nothing else.

DAE

pate

Quote from: Sardondi on December 02, 2012, 05:21:27 PM
Well, we should have expected it - the Japanese have developed what they are calling "a humanoid", "robot" and "android" to accompany Koichi Wakata on his six-month tour on the ISS beginning next Summer. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/9717238/Japanese-scientists-develop-humanoid-to-keep-astronauts-company.html

It's planned to be about 13-inches tall, will weigh about a kilogram and will recognize Wakata by facial features and will converse with him to keep him from being lonely. The name it will be called is as yet unknown to us. It's also unknown what, uh, concavities will be designed into it. But it is Japanese, so it goes without saying it will almost certainly have some personal service features built in. We in the West would doubtless find these functions perverse beyond imagination, if not physically impossible due to the diminutive size of the robot. But remember it's being built for a Japanese user, so there should be no problems at all. I mean with the mores and ethics of humanizing a robot, of course.

Imagine the conversations:

Andrpid: "Good 'morning', Wakata-san, or I should say 'early evening' since standard earth-hours have been eliminated on the ISS for your convenience and personalized biological clock."

Wakata: *grunt* *sniff* *cough*

Android: "I hope your rest period was pleasing."

Wakata: *inaudible* *throat-clearing* *spitting*

Android: "It is now Day 9 of your 6-month stay, and you have only another 171 days to share the space station with me. Would you like to play Go again? I have self-selected "child level" so that it is more enjoyable for you to play me."

Wakata: *growl*

Double our rations, sir!

This is the long haul

Parumph, pardon, my sor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9V7gmUokI

At nicht, mosglich...  mosgiiK?