• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

REAL FOOD-FAKE FOOD

Started by theONE, October 13, 2016, 12:04:28 AM

theONE

I'm not sure if you would be interested in reading/learning & sharing ideas-links about this topic REAL FOOD-FAKE FOOD
but I feel that this is very valid topic.
I don't care if you will boycott me and my thread and never post here, but maybe you will read it.
I will post some very interesting info and links here so you can maybe learn something new,
especially that food is so essential and if you are going to spend your hard earned money on food that you think is of premium quality
perhaps learning about food scams will help you to make wiser decisions..:)  theONE

Here is a good start. Book.

Quote from: theONE on October 12, 2016, 11:35:19 PM

"A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER! REAL FOOD FAKE FOOD
LEARN TO LOVE FOOD AGAIN WITHOUT BEING A VICTIM"

http://www.realfoodfakefood.com/real-food-fake-food-book-by-larry-olmsted.html

THE BOOK
"REAL FOOD, FAKE FOOD" Hardcover Release July, 2016
REAL FOOD FAKE FOOD is a new hardcover release from Algonquin. It asks the big question: What Are You Really Eating?

“The world is full of delicious, lovingly crafted foods that embody the terrain, weather, and culture of their origins. Unfortunately,
it’s also full of brazen impostors that are hard to identify. In this entertaining and important book, Larry Olmsted helps us fall in love
with the real stuff and steer clear of the fraudsters. I’ll never look at a menu the same way again.”

-KIRK KARDASHIAN, author of Milk Money: Cash, Cows, and the Death of the American Dairy Farm
You’ve seen the headlines: Parmesan cheese made from sawdust. Lobster rolls containing no lobster at all. Extra-virgin olive oil that isn’t.
Fake foods are in our supermarkets, our restaurants, and our kitchen cabinets. Award-winning food journalist and travel writer
Larry Olmsted exposes the pervasive and dangerous fraud perpetrated on unsuspecting Americans.

Real Food, Fake Food brings readers into the unregulated food industry, revealing the shocking deception
that extends from high-end foods like olive oil, wine, and Kobe beef to everyday staples such as coffee, honey, juice, and cheese.
It’s a massive bait and switch where counterfeiting is rampant and where the consumer ultimately pays the price.
Restaurants and retailers are equally suspect.

But Olmsted does more than show us what foods to avoid. A bona fide gourmand, he travels to the sources of the real stuff,
to help us recognize what to look for, eat, and savor: genuine Parmigiano-Reggiano from Italy, fresh-caught grouper from Florida,
authentic port from Portugal.
Real foods that are grown, raised, produced, and prepared with care by masters of their craft.
Part cautionary tale, part culinary crusade, Real Food, Fake Food is addictively readable, mouthwateringly enjoyable, and utterly relevant.
Larry Olmsted convinces us why real food matters.

Real Food, Fake Food has been profiled by Time.com, Forbes.com, Men’s Journal, Outside, Men’s Health,
New York Magazine, Prevention, The Globe & Mail, and many other news outlets.

Advance Praise For Real Food, Fake Food
Named one of “Summer’s Biggest Books” by Apple iBooks.
“Do not take another bite or swallow another sip of anything, for your sake and the sake of your children, before reading Real Food, Fake Food. ¬ The content blows the doors of the kitchen.”

-MICHAEL PATRICK SHIELS, Award winning broadcaster, author of numerous books, and newspaper columnist.
“Olmsted makes you insanely hungry and steaming mad in this provocative account . . .
A must-read for anyone who cares deeply about the safety of our food and the welfare of our planet.”

[attachment deleted by admin]

theONE

"Don't fall victim to olive oil scam"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ubesx

60 Minutes producer Guy Campanile offers shoppers some tips on finding true Italian extra-virgin olive oil amid a sea of fakes.

theONE

Quote from: JesusJuice on October 13, 2016, 12:24:24 AM
Larry Olmsted was on Coast To Coast AM last Saturday with Lisa Garr hosting.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2016/10/08/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKIrFz3phM

Hi JJ, thanks for the link.
I'm going to listen to it in next couple of days

zeebo

Quote from: JesusJuice on October 13, 2016, 12:24:24 AM
Larry Olmsted was on Coast To Coast AM last Saturday with Lisa Garr hosting.

I caught most of that show and found it surprisingly interesting.  I'm not really a health-foodie type but it is worth a listen to arm yourself against all the deceptive marketing out there.  Next time I see packaging with "natural", "grass-fed", "free-range" superimposed over a quaint little farmhouse picture I'll think twice.

morgana213

Quote from: theONE on October 13, 2016, 12:04:28 AM
I'm not sure if you would be interested in reading/learning & sharing ideas-links about this topic REAL FOOD-FAKE FOOD
but I feel that this is very valid topic.
I don't care if you will boycott me and my thread and never post here, but maybe you will read it.
I will post some very interesting info and links here so you can maybe learn something new,
especially that food is so essential and if you are going to spend your hard earned money on food that you think is of premium quality
perhaps learning about food scams will help you to make wiser decisions..:)  theONE

Here is a good start. Book.
Thanks theONE!  :)

mikuthing01

I am pretty sure this video is bullshit because i went to the store and looked and the Oreo brand it did not list "modified milk ingredients". I got paranoid because i had some prairie farms ice cream so i looked and it did not contain "modified milk ingredients" either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5TMj4c5FE

theONE

Quote from: mikuthing01 on October 13, 2016, 04:10:50 PM
I am pretty sure this video is bullshit because i went to the store and looked and the Oreo brand it did not list "modified milk ingredients". I got paranoid because i had some prairie farms ice cream so i looked and it did not contain "modified milk ingredients" either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5TMj4c5FE

Interesting video.Thanks miku
I noticed that he was describing temperature in Celsius not Fahrenheit, so that might mean that he is not in the USA, and that might mean that
the country he is in has different label requirements but the ingredients could be exactly the same, [or maybe they are bit different].

I'm glad that I don't buy ice creams, if I feel like having 'ice cream' I mix some fruits, sliced/crushed almonds, etc,etc with 18% cream,
maybe bit of coconut sugar [love coconut sugar] and put it into the fridge.
That way I know exactly what I'm eating...

[almonds I buy raw and soak handful in glass of hot/warm water for 15-30 minutes and skin comes off super easy]
eat them often with morning coffe

theONE

"A Third of Tested Restaurant Lobster Dishes Actually Contain Cheaper Seafood, Investigation Shows"

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/14518-a-third-of-tested-restaurant-lobster-dishes-actually-contain-cheaper-fish-meat-investigation-shows

Restaurants serve lobster in rolls, soup, ravioli and even on pizza â€" and diners are willing to pay a premium for the delicacy.
But an INSIDE EDITION investigation, which will air in full on Monday, has found that you might not always be getting the real deal.
INSIDE EDITION visited 28 restaurants around the county, including local seafood spots and national chains. Nathan’s, Red Lobster
and even the Soupman â€" the New York eatery made famous by Seinfeld â€" were among them.
The meat was scooped out from a variety of lobster dishes and sent off to a lab, where DNA tests were carried out to see if there was anything fishy about the lobster.

It emerged that in 35 percent of the samples, the lab found cheap substitutes instead of lobster.
A restaurant called ‘Get Hooked,’ just outside of Tampa, Florida, served up lobster rolls â€" but INSIDE EDITION found samples of the meat actually contained whiting, an inexpensive fish.
The owner told IE he did, “not purposely rip off the public.”
The restaurant owner says he makes his lobster rolls with a frozen mixture. It has some lobster, but he acknowledges it’s filled with other,
cheaper fish like whiting and pollock.

And it wasn’t just local restaurants. At the country’s largest seafood chain, Red Lobster,
INSIDE EDITION ordered lobster bisque soup from three different locations and scooped out the meat.
One sample included only langostino, a less expensive seafood more closely related to hermit crab than lobster, and two others had a combination of langostino and lobster.
The FDA told INSIDE EDITION that soup with only langostino cannot be called lobster bisque.
It must be labelled as langostingo lobster bisque.

In a statement, a Red Lobster company spokesperson said: “Red Lobster, the world’s largest seafood restaurant chain,
serves a variety of lobster on its menu, including North American lobster, Maine lobster and langostino lobster.

"As a seafood expert, Red Lobster understands that the seasonality and availability of lobster can fluctuate,
so our Lobster Bisque can contain meat from Maine lobster, langostino lobster, or, in some cases, a combination of both.

"INSIDE EDITION’s test was a matter of what we call 'the luck of the ladle' and both types of lobster provide the bisque with a rich,
sweet taste that our guests love.”

At the world famous Nathan’s in Coney Island, Brooklyn, the lobster roll tested by INSIDE EDITION came back as whiting.
A Nathan's spokesperson told INSIDE EDITION: "Seafood fraud is a serious issue and Nathan’s Famous buys all of our lobster products
from a member of the Better Seafood Board as part of our commitment to fair and honest sourcing. This is not a case of fraud.

"Lobster Salad is traditionally a mix, or salad, made up of seafood items. The main ingredient in our Lobster Salad is in fact Lobster.
Any suggestion that it is not would be erroneous.
"Nathan’s Famous 'Lobster Salad Sandwich' is made with a delicious, healthy mix of Lobster, Pollock and Whiting.
Our sandwiches include a versatile and affordable blend of North Atlantic lobster meat and premium surimi seafood.
We maintain a commitment to accurate labeling."

But there was some good news. Some samples, such as the lobster bisque from the Soupman, came back loaded with lobster.
New York City-based celebrity chef and best-selling author Rocco DiSpirito says there should be no compromise when it comes to lobster rolls.
They should be “all lobster, not a mixture of lobster and whiting and any other kind of fish,” he said.
“The whiting, pollock thing is not what you'd expect when you order a lobster roll.”

link to the article and to the short video:
http://ietv.co/1T8psQW

theONE

Perhaps it's time for sweet dessert.. :P

des·sert
dəˈzərt/
noun
the sweet course eaten at the end of a meal.

theONE

I'm done with drinking METAXA today, 1 full bottle and 1/4 from de second one is gonne.
Now I'm eating home made ice cream, very simple reciepy and very delish,
cup of 10% cream, big tea spoon of cocoanut sugar, dash of quality /from Vietnam/ cinnamone and some sliced almonds
and table spoon of BRANDY [brandy is optional, it restricts hard solid freezing of ice cream] -- /in my case is always METAXA/...
put it into de frigide and after an hour or so you have very pure natural dezerd.

Fuck Haggen-Dazs and other commercial ice creamers.
Make your own so you know what's in it. It's so simplistic.
Lot'z of recipis on the nett also...

akwilly

Don't ever eat farm raised salmon or "Atlantic salmon". Farm raised salmon are a disaster waiting to happen

theONE

Quote from: akwilly on October 14, 2016, 04:40:58 AM
Don't ever eat farm raised salmon or "Atlantic salmon". Farm raised salmon are a disaster waiting to happen

Agreed !!! That disaster is here already, fucking Norwegians are mostly responsible for this shit.

1. "Farmed Salmon Decimating Wild Salmon Worldwide"
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/02/080212-salmon-lice_2.html

2. "Norway’s fjords flooded with escaped, diseased farmed fish"
http://commonsensecanadian.ca/norways-fjords-flooded-escaped-diseased-farmed-fish/

3. "What is Salmon Farming?"
http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/salmon-farming-problems/what-is-salmon-farming/

Salmon aquaculture (farming) is the industrial production of salmon from egg to market in a net-cage, pond or contained system.
Most of the industry still uses open net-cages in the ocean, and these floating feedlots hold up to a million fish in an area the size of two football fields.

here are just few facts
Salmon Farm Facts:
A salmon farm is likely to hold 500,000 to 750,000 fish in an area the size of four football fields.
The biomass of farmed salmon at one farm site can equal 480 Indian bull elephants â€" that is 2,400 tonnes of eating, excreting livestock.
Salmon are carnivores.
On average it takes two to five kilograms of wild fish (used in feed) to produce one kilogram of farmed salmon.
In one study, over a billion sea lice eggs were produced by just twelve farms in a two week period preceding the out-migration of wild juvenile salmon.
Infection with one to three sea lice can kill a wild juvenile pink salmon.
Canada and Chile are the two primary sources of farmed salmon for American consumers.
Two-thirds of the salmon consumed by Americans is farm-raised.

...people, don't support this industry, educate yourself and refuse eating farmed salmon.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on October 13, 2016, 01:05:16 AM
I caught most of that show and found it surprisingly interesting.  I'm not really a health-foodie type but it is worth a listen to arm yourself against all the deceptive marketing out there.  Next time I see packaging with "natural", "grass-fed", "free-range" superimposed over a quaint little farmhouse picture I'll think twice.
I liked the show also because unlike normal C2C hosts he didn't go 'over the top' on a conspiracy theory. About Monsanto, governments, etc etc but pointed out the problems of bad regulations, the need to figure out a way to feed an ever growing population, and the real problem of bringing ethics back into business, agriculture, etc and thoughts about "what are the potential dangers and risks" before going too far in some of the modern genetic stuff.

theONE

"Seen At 11: Spiked Spices"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reY1MF2uXFo

Pay attention when buying mixed spices.
Looks like buying individual spices is best way...to avoid adulteration that can happen with mixed selections,
or to buy well known brand names [but still this is not 100% proof that it will be real McCoy],...crooks are so cleaver

theONE

"How To Make Ice Cream With A Frying Pan [DIY Cold Stone] - NightHawkInLight"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZB_L2qY9YQ

..quote:/
"Watching an ice cream pro build you a custom frozen treat mixed with your favorite fruit, candy, and/or toppings makes
buying a cone even more exciting.

But why go out for ice cream when you can create your favorite combinations in your own kitchen?
While you might not have an expensive frozen slab for ice cream topping your kitchen counters,
you can mimic the creamy consistency and customizable options from Cold Stone Creamery and Marble Slab any time you're craving it.
Best of all, you don't need a heavy stone slabâ€"just a frying pan and a few other common tools."

..end of quote/

theONE

theONE you are banned.This ban is not set to expire.

theONE

theONE your ban was lifted.You are welcome to post again.
Your contribution to this board is greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

theONE

"Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/#80d618334d7d

APR 12, 2012 @ 08:19 AM
Think you’ve tasted the famous Japanese Kobe beef?
Think again.

Of course, there are a small number of you out there who have tried it â€" I did, in Tokyo, and it is delicious.
If you ever go to Japan I heartily recommend you splurge, because while it is expensive, it is unique, and you cannot get it in the United States.
Not as steaks, not as burgers, certainly not as the ubiquitous “Kobe sliders” at your trendy neighborhood “bistro.”

That’s right. You heard me. I did not misspeak. I am not confused like most of the American food media.

I will state this as clearly as possible:

You cannot buy Japanese Kobe beef in this country. Not in stores, not by mail, and certainly not in restaurants.
No matter how much you have spent, how fancy a steakhouse you went to,
or which of the many celebrity chefs who regularly feature “Kobe beef” on their menus you believed, you were duped.
I’m really sorry to have to be the one telling you this, but no matter how much you would like to believe you have tasted it,
if it wasn’t in Asia you almost certainly have never had Japan’s famous Kobe beef.

UPDATE: Significant changes have occurred regarding the status of Kobe beef in the United States
in the four-plus years since this story was written. For the most current information, please read the most recent piece,
"The New Truth About Kobe Beef", which has more current details and an update that supersede information contain herein.

JAN 7, 2014 @ 07:19 AM
"The New Truth About Kobe Beef: Scarce Amounts Now Available In The U.S., But Not In Europe"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2014/01/07/the-new-truth-about-kobe-beef-2/#5646dba49763

It’s been almost two years since I wrote Food’s Biggest Scam: "The Great Kobe Beef Lie", here in the pages of Forbes.com.
That story assumed a life of its own, becoming one of the most widely read food stories of the year and garnering well over a million views.
It continues to be heavily viewed to this day, and since it was the most read of the hundreds of online pieces I have written,
I safely assume it is a topic that interests a lot of people.
But the playing field has changed significantly since 2012,
so I am revisiting the topic with the new truth about the world’s most famous and coveted beef.

Play Video - (video is in the article)

The single most important element of my original piece was the fact (as in fact, not opinion) that no beef from Japan,
not one ounce in any form, was allowed to be imported into this country by the USDA, starting back in 2009.
To that end, every single restaurant in the nation that claimed Kobe beef on its menu, and there were hundreds,
was lying (along with retailers).
Many were charging very top dollar, three figures for steaks or $50 for a burger, and implicated in this scam were numerous celebrity chefs.
Not surprisingly, I received comments from many folks who had paid such handsome amounts for what I termed “faux-be” beef,
and they were understandably outraged because they had been ripped off, pure and simple.
To be fair, I also received plenty of comments from folks who took a “so what?” attitude and I imagine they will feel
pretty much the same way about the news that Kobe beef has returned to the US.

UPDATE July 2016: In the past few months, the distribution of Kobe beef has greatly increased.
There are now 9 restaurants in the US and a number of distributors in Europe that have been added. For a current roster see here.

....there is more to this article /including video - too much to post here, ..so if you are interested visit their site:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2014/01/07/the-new-truth-about-kobe-beef-2/#5646dba49763

Welcome back, D1. Glad you're back.

You know, I thought there was something wrong with the Kobe beef I've seen around. It was all just way, way too cheap. Made me very suspicious on that alone. Never had either the real or the fake. Not sure if I'd even like it because I just can't stand the taste of beef fat. Give me a good sirloin or, my favorite, a NY strip steak - very rare.

But I do enjoy and nice camel burger on occassion. Very, very clean tasting.

theONE

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on October 17, 2016, 09:50:14 PM
Welcome back, D1. Glad you're back.

You know, I thought there was something wrong with the Kobe beef I've seen around. It was all just way, way too cheap. Made me very suspicious on that alone. Never had either the real or the fake. Not sure if I'd even like it because I just can't stand the taste of beef fat. Give me a good sirloin or, my favorite, a NY strip steak - very rare.

But I do enjoy and nice camel burger on occassion. Very, very clean tasting.

Thanks,...

hmmm, ..interesting, I would think that camels meat would have strong pungent smell actually

"CAMEL - Ice (Live)"       *** GREAT guitar ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXjradEFFzg

No, camel is very smooth and clean. Very mild. One of the few burgers that I like. Bison is good too for the same reasons.

I love camels. When I was a little kid, I use to want to go to the Sahara desert so badly and ride a camel or just walk around in the desert. Still love a lot of the Middle Eastern art and culture. The good stuff, of course, not the whacked out extremist and misogynist practices. Shame there are so many negatives there. Some very good food too. As is, I'll never get to visit.

Now wild boar is another story. My God, that is disgusting!!! Extremely pungent and musky. Couldn't get that taste and smell out of me for a week or so no matter how much I showered or what I ate to try to destroy it. Never again!

theONE

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on October 18, 2016, 05:29:35 AM
No, camel is very smooth and clean. Very mild. One of the few burgers that I like. Bison is good too for the same reasons.

I love camels. When I was a little kid, I use to want to go to the Sahara desert so badly and ride a camel or just walk around in the desert. Still love a lot of the Middle Eastern art and culture. The good stuff, of course, not the whacked out extremist and misogynist practices. Shame there are so many negatives there. Some very good food too. As is, I'll never get to visit.

Now wild boar is another story. My God, that is disgusting!!! Extremely pungent and musky. Couldn't get that taste and smell out of me for a week or so no matter how much I showered or what I ate to try to destroy it. Never again!

I eat only bison meat now for last 8-10 years. Love it. Bison liver as well.
As to wild boar /or domestic pigs/ they all stink to me like the shit they are rolling around in -I don't eat their meat-
besides it has very low nutritional value,..I rather eat meat less often but eat quality meat

Here is very interesting video,..ancient art of camel riding + latest robotic technology,...quite fascinating & funny in a way :)

"One Million Dollar Camel Race - Wild Arabia" - BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ll4-OiLn4E
In the last 15 years Camel racing has transformed into one of the richest sports in the world, with some races having a grand prize of one million dollars...

Quote from: theONE on October 18, 2016, 08:11:11 PM
In the last 15 years Camel racing has transformed into one of the richest sports in the world, with some races having a grand prize of one million dollars...

Oh, man. They took all the fun out of it. You've got to have a rider. At least, for me. Same with horse racing. I only like the kind with a jockey on the horse, not the ones pulling the buggies. (I forget what they are called. We have them here where I live.) What's with all the birds? It's like they were trying to get in on all the action.

theONE

"Camel weightlifting in 2014" ...bit strange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXjqSaLwml8

"Fearless Ram vs. Big Camels" ...quite funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxm0g5I5EdQ

theONE

"Food fraud in the UK: Toxic vodka and pet food meat given to humans"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/24/food-fraud-in-the-uk-toxic-vodka-and-pet-food-meat-given-to-huma/

Lexi Finnigan
24 MARCH 2016 • 5:19PM
Food fraud is a growing problem in Britain and costing families as much as £1.17billion a year, according to officials.
The National Food Crime Unit highlighted scams ranging from lamb takeaways, which include no lamb,
to olive oil adulterated with colourings and flavourings.
There is also evidence of fake vodka containing toxic levels of methanol and the selling of harmful weight loss pills,
such as DNP, which have been linked to the deaths of several young women.

The unit says there are more than 20 organised crime groups involved in some aspect of food and drink fraud in Britain.
And a 20 per cent rise in sheep and other farm rustling over the last five years has seen animals slaughtered
in unlicensed premises â€" creating health risks
Part of the Food Standards Agency, the unit was set up in 2013 following the horsemeat scandal.
Yesterday it published the Food Crime Annual Strategic Assessment which sets out the seriousness of the problem and the threats involved.

According to the report, British food is generally safe and properly labelled but it warns that fraud represents
a “serious criminal threat to the safety and authenticity of UK food and drink”.

...more info in the article/

ksm32

I've eaten some incredible, well prepared pussy only to find that it was from a can! They say that you "eat with your eyes, first" but damn me, I just started munching away in pure hungry haste.

whoozit

I once tried to bit one of those plastic apples when I was a child.  I'm definitely against fake food.

theONE

Quote from: whoozit on October 22, 2016, 07:05:42 AM
I once tried to bit one of those plastic apples when I was a child.  I'm definitely against fake food.
lol.

theONE

"The Parmesan Cheese You Sprinkle on Your Penne Could Be Wood"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-16/the-parmesan-cheese-you-sprinkle-on-your-penne-could-be-wood

...partial quote/
Some brands promising 100 percent purity contained no Parmesan at all.
The cheese police are on the case.
Acting on a tip, agents of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration paid a surprise visit to a cheese factory in rural Pennsylvania
on a cold November day in 2012.

They found what they were looking for: evidence that Castle Cheese Inc. was doctoring its 100 percent real parmesan
with cut-rate substitutes and such fillers as wood pulp and distributing it to some of the country’s biggest grocery chains.
One might be tempted to think of this as a ripped-from-the-headlines episode of “NYPD Bleu,” except that the FDA wasn’t playing.
Some grated Parmesan suppliers have been mislabeling products by filling them with too much cellulose,
a common anti-clumping agent made from wood pulp, or using cheaper cheddar, instead of real Romano.
Someone had to pay. Castle President Michelle Myrter is scheduled to plead guilty this month to criminal charges.
She faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine.

...more shocking info in the article/