• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

St. Louis to Stop Airing Snoory!

Started by stlcoastfan1985, March 05, 2013, 04:35:35 PM

Good points RHastings.

Too those I would add that Pandora is now becoming a built in interface in the auto, this is a death knell for music radio.

Doomed

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on March 08, 2013, 04:07:24 PM

Wow. They're not even in the top 20! And NPR (KWMU) even has higher ratigns than them! Ouch! Looks like Snoory's bailin' out of a sinkin' ship!
Yep. Thats our boy. As the ship sinks the crew is yelling, "Women and children first!" But there goes ol' georgie, in the lifeboat, rowing like a machine.
So much for the loyalty to his old station, eh?

Quote from: Doomed on March 10, 2013, 03:42:12 AM
Yep. Thats our boy. As the ship sinks the crew is yelling, "Women and children first!" But there goes ol' georgie, in the lifeboat, rowing like a machine...

And suddenly, the ship stops sinking

I love how this topic has taken off, yet I really don't know how to respond to it at this point. I can say that we can only speculate and predict things up to a certian point where we all have to just sit back and wait to see whats going to happen. As appealing as the thought of Snoory retiring is to me, I would still much rather have the Great Bell back again.

The question is, would there be very much more use for this site if the Nooron were to call it quits...

Falkie2013

Do you think that our efforts and our expressions of distaste for what he has done to Coast had anything to do with this presumed decision or is it just that because he dragged down the show, the suits did what they had to do ?

Whether or not Art comes back or not, I think that Snoory's day is done on the national scene for too many people now know him to be an abject failure as both a broadcaster and a communicator.

And in all probability, a fraud and someone who puffed up his resume and his broadcast qualifications as well.

WOTR

Quote from: Doomed on March 10, 2013, 03:42:12 AM
Yep. Thats our boy. As the ship sinks the crew is yelling, "Women and children first!" But there goes ol' georgie, in the lifeboat, rowing like a machine.
Somehow I am reminded of Captain Schettino of the Concordia when I think of Noory.  I can picture the coast guard yelling at Noory to get out of the life raft and back on the ship.  After the Concordia, Italians bought up shirts with the phrase vada a bordo cazzo! on them (translated roughly as get on board, Damn it!)  Perhaps we could do a limited edition run and sell them in the coast store for fans of Noory?
Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on March 10, 2013, 04:11:56 AM
The question is, would there be very much more use for this site if the Nooron were to call it quits...
I can only answer for myself.  Providing that Wells took over, there might be a continued use.  Presently, I am not desperate enough to tune in on the nights that jackass get title of acting captain.  If it were him or nothing (and I manage to stomach his crap a few nights a week) I would be happy to continue commenting on the suckage of Coast.

Juan

Quote from: RHastings on March 09, 2013, 10:26:59 PM
Instead of giving advertisers a value- added comp by playing their ads online and measure the response thus building a foundation to monetize streaming.  Then the industry ignored podcasting and with the proliferation of smartphones,  radio continued their hemorrhage audience  to podcasts.
Part of the problem with that was the union contracts.  Voice-over talent in the big markets (and national ads) was all union and the union contract didn't mention streaming.  Broadcasters began streaming their commercials, but the unions squawked and demanded to negotiate a new contract.  The broadcasters had to pull the ads from the streams until a new one was worked out, and I don't know if a satisfactory one has ever been negotiated.

That doesn't forgive broadcasters for not working out value added time on local streams in smaller markets.  In those markets, the voice over talent is considered work for hire (for the most part) and they are paid one time.

RHastings

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on March 09, 2013, 10:51:10 PM
Good points RHastings.

Too those I would add that Pandora is now becoming a built in interface in the auto, this is a death knell for music radio.

Thanks!

In addition to Pandora and iHeartRadio being built-in to many 2012 and 2013 autos, another shift is set to occur in 2014 models:
GM will equip several 2014 automobiles with 4G mobile connectivity, enabling data speeds of up to ten times that of 3G connections

The program Market Place (American Public Media) recently did an interesting story on it:
GM's Internet cars: The end of FM radio?
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/gms-internet-cars-end-fm-radio

RHastings

Quote from: UFO Fill on March 10, 2013, 05:43:37 AM
Part of the problem with that was the union contracts.  Voice-over talent in the big markets (and national ads) was all union and the union contract didn't mention streaming.  Broadcasters began streaming their commercials, but the unions squawked and demanded to negotiate a new contract.  The broadcasters had to pull the ads from the streams until a new one was worked out, and I don't know if a satisfactory one has ever been negotiated.

That doesn't forgive broadcasters for not working out value added time on local streams in smaller markets.  In those markets, the voice over talent is considered work for hire (for the most part) and they are paid one time.

All good points UFO Fill; however it is important to acknowledge that the radio industry has had over 10 years to figure things out regarding the union issues and monetizing the web stream.  I'll also acknowledge that initially radio companies wanted to make the online stream unlistenable so it wouldn't impact ratings, however for years Arbitron has included online into the ratings equation.  There is nothing more annoying than trying to listen to a show like Coast (or any national program that is strict to the clock) and hear an endless loop of Kars for Kids and Cars for the Blind PSA's (personally I don't understand why we're encouraging people to donate cars to children and blind people... seems like it would do more harm than good... LOL).

Back to sNoory, here is a bit of wild speculation that wouldn't surprise me:
If I am correct and 'ol soy sauce colored hair announces his retirement in late-April and Premiere moves Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis into the Coast time slot, Premiere would have an opening if they choose to make the Ground Zero brand a 7 days/week program.  Noting that sNoory has tarnished the Coast brand identity, I don't see any of the current crop of hosts being named to the weekend role.  There is a host who has been quite critical of the Coast brand and who would fit well into the Ground Zero brand, that man: Art Bell. 

Why does Art Bell becoming the voice of the weekend under the Ground Zero brand make sense?
It gives Art and opportunity to have the best of both worlds: the ability to maximize the time living life with his daughter and wife and return to an industry he is passionate about and a format where he is the living legend.  Additionally, from a philosophical point of view, Art and Clyde seem to have more shared viewpoints than Art and George ever shared.  Both Art and Clyde know that what makes a radio show great is when listeners aren't preached to but people hosts have discussions with.  Both men have a great curiosity about issues not discussed by the mainstream and allow their programs to serve as a virtual town square where opinions are respected and intelligent discussion occurs.  While I wouldn't wager that this will happen, I certainly could see it being quite successful.

Juan

When Art was doing weekends, callers would ask him about coming back for weekdays.  He would question why he'd want to do that and say how much he enjoyed working only two days a week. 

Falkie2013

Quote from: RHastings on March 10, 2013, 08:24:25 AM
Thanks!

In addition to Pandora and iHeartRadio being built-in to many 2012 and 2013 autos, another shift is set to occur in 2014 models:
GM will equip several 2014 automobiles with 4G mobile connectivity, enabling data speeds of up to ten times that of 3G connections

The program Market Place (American Public Media) recently did an interesting story on it:
GM's Internet cars: The end of FM radio?
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/gms-internet-cars-end-fm-radio

That's great if one can AFFORD a 2014 car. Fox recently said that in this economy more and more Americans can't afford a new car.

We had 3 GM vehicles blow their head gasket in one year.

We bought an older Honda. In 4 years we had to replace the water pump and the muffler and starter. But ... no problems otherwise until recently. We're saving up to buy a Prius.

No more crappy American iron for us unless it's of pre-1965 vintage or something high end like a Cadillac. I had a 1984 Coupe De Ville and a 1979 Chevy Caprice. Both were good cars until they were hit and totalled, one by a cab driver speeding and one by an illegal alien who had NO license, or insurance. I drove them everywhere even though they sucked gas. I just don't trust newer GM products, nor certain models of Chrysler cars. We had various Fords and every one had continual electrical problems.

Furthermore, what bugs also bugs me is Apple's device's are all geared to pick up FM radio which cuts out listening to sports or talk.

lonevoice

Quote from: RHastings on March 10, 2013, 08:47:20 AM

Why does Art Bell becoming the voice of the weekend under the Ground Zero brand make sense?
It gives Art and opportunity to have the best of both worlds: the ability to maximize the time living life with his daughter and wife and return to an industry he is passionate about and a format where he is the living legend.  Additionally, from a philosophical point of view, Art and Clyde seem to have more shared viewpoints than Art and George ever shared.  Both Art and Clyde know that what makes a radio show great is when listeners aren't preached to but people hosts have discussions with.  Both men have a great curiosity about issues not discussed by the mainstream and allow their programs to serve as a virtual town square where opinions are respected and intelligent discussion occurs.  While I wouldn't wager that this will happen, I certainly could see it being quite successful.

I've only listened to Ground Zero a few times after reading about it here on CG.    I also perused the show's website and read some of the host's essays/commentary at:  http://www.groundzeromedia.org/.    To me, Clyde Lewis has a lot more in common with, say, David Icke and Jeff Rense than he does with Art Bell.   If I recall correctly, didn't Art ban both of those guys from his show?   

The Ground Zero show is not my steez, and I'm thinking Art Bell doesn't roll that way either.  Of course, I could be wrong.

Tara

I agree with you Lonevoice.  Clyde Lewis of Ground Zero has never met a conspiracy theory he doesn't believe in.  I would think that at least some of these theories are mistaken.  Don't know if there's a large national audience for Lewis five days a week.  He also can be compared to Alex Jones and Jesse Ventura. 

However, Lewis is a lot better when he has guests.  He's a good interviewer and has less time to go off on his rants.  Maybe with a more structured C2C format he'd do well, but he seems like the type to chafe over too much structure and direction from corporate. 

ItsOver

Clyde's pretty decent when he has a non-conspiratorial guest.  At least he's awake and able to ask intelligent questions, as opposed to the Nooron.

It's another story when he's off on a rant, some whacko conspiracy speculation, or a meme theme.  He starts to sound like an escapee from the local nuthouse. 

RHastings

Quote from: lonevoice on March 11, 2013, 02:20:45 PM

I've only listened to Ground Zero a few times after reading about it here on CG.    I also perused the show's website and read some of the host's essays/commentary at:  http://www.groundzeromedia.org/.    To me, Clyde Lewis has a lot more in common with, say, David Icke and Jeff Rense than he does with Art Bell.   If I recall correctly, didn't Art ban both of those guys from his show?   

The Ground Zero show is not my steez, and I'm thinking Art Bell doesn't roll that way either.  Of course, I could be wrong.

I think that a lot of Clyde's most recent essays and shows have focused on the imperative of various events across the globe that merit attention.  If you were to go into Clyde's podcast archive and check out shows from last summer you might have a different opinion.

Clyde's rational, real discussion of the Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman event (and exposing the media lies about it) were stellar and exemplify the way that a host learns from members of his audience who are different than he his and Clyde's ability to cover a event and allow all sides to be heard and manage the show in a dignified, respectful manner.

I would also recommend the following programs to get a better idea of Clyde being more of a devils advocate than a hard viewpoint host: post-Aurora shooting programs, all his programs associated with the Benghazi incident, his Christopher Dorner show and many others.

One episode I would consider a Must-Listen is his coverage of DB Cooper, here is a link to an mp3 of that episode:

http://www.groundzero.fm/media/2012-11-29_20121128_groundzero.mp3

Art

Noory isn't retiring.  Clyde is another phony who can't possibly believe all the nonsense he promotes.  Art Bell is done, completely, forever.   And Viral Marketing sucks. :P

it's probably because he said the other night that he used to grow big pumpkins in Saint Louis especially up there around Detroit.............welcome to Saint Michigan.   oh yeah and by the way I would love to f*** that Asian girl with the pink squirt gun shooter in ufo fill's post pic. I don't care if it's his wife or girlfriend she can play with my pink squirt gun any day.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Art Crow on March 16, 2013, 06:39:39 PM
  Art Bell is done, completely, forever.    :P

No he's not ... he will be returning. As far as Clyde, he's good but he does tend to believe all the conspiracy stuff.

Falkie2013

Waiting for Art to come back to the air is like waiting for Elijah to show up in the doorway at Passover, come in and start eating from his Pesach plate.

Hasn't happened in 5,000 + years with Elijah.

We might as well wait that long for Art too.

Histronic Fop

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 07, 2013, 07:04:31 PMGeorge declined to comment but will address it in 'late April'.  Why - is it going to take him 6 weeks to come up with some palatable lie?
Well, here it is, late April, and we have yet to hear an explanation about what's going on in St. Louis. Noory's forked tongue strikes again!

FortRock

MAJOR OPENING FOR THE RETURN OF ART BELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Histronic Fop on April 28, 2013, 10:11:29 AM
Well, here it is, late April, and we have yet to hear an explanation about what's going on in St. Louis. Noory's forked tongue strikes again!

My thoughts exactly.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: FortRock on April 28, 2013, 04:25:46 PM
MAJOR OPENING FOR THE RETURN OF ART BELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an overnight host in St Louis?  ???   Maybe he can do traffic updates as well.

Morgus

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 28, 2013, 08:54:33 PM
    As an overnight host in St Louis?  ???   Maybe he can do traffic updates as well.
that was Noory's old job as a local St Louis late nite radio host before he took over c2c...  8)

Meanandnasty

IT IS NOW MAY, AND NOT A WORD FOR SNORON!
It was written in the St Louis article that Noory would have an announcement at the end of April.  According to my calendar, and it is not the Mayan, it is now May 2, and in some parts of the world May 3, 2013.
Where is that announcement?  Could it be that Noory lied?

KTRS did in fact drop him, but he's back on the air in STL on KFTK 97.1 FM News Talk. Unfortunately we were only free of him for about two weeks but as I figured, he couldn't go more than a month without continuing to spew out his septic sludge in the town that gave him his start. (That, and if it means adding just one more station amidst the masses that are dropping him, then why wouldn't he?)  :-\ 

I saw this article while browsing the web.  It really does not add any new info but was in the Belleville, IL paper:

Q. What has happened to George Noory and his "Coast to Coast AM" show? It has disappeared from KTRS (550-AM).
-- B.W., of Belleville, T.N., of O'Fallon, et al.

A. To help local listeners remember, Noory may want to change the name of the show here to "Coast to Coast FM."
In March, KTRS announced that it was losing the wildly popular show about UFOs, ghosts and other things that go bump in the night now heard on more than 500 stations around North America. Last week it moved to NewsTalk KFTK-FM (97.1), where you can hear it in its usual overnight time slot -- midnight to 4 a.m.

It's been a long, strange trip for Noory, who, as a child, asked a friend to build model rockets so he could play Walter Cronkite and broadcast the launches. Originally a pre-dental major, the 1972 University of Detroit grad switched disciplines and, at 28, became the nation's youngest major market TV news director at KMSP in Minneapolis.

But after coming to St. Louis, Noory reinvented himself for the radio, calling himself the Nighthawk on a late-night show on KTRS. When Art Bell tired of doing alien abductions and remote viewing full time, Noory slid into the post in the fall of 2002.

Now, he'll go up against KMOX's "Overnight America"  on KFTK as the two talk stations battle it out to see which will draw more listeners: the normal or the paranormal.

http://www.bnd.com/2013/05/10/2612652/answer-man-update-on-bridge-by.html#storylink=cpy
I can just see little Georgie begging some kid to build a rocket so he could play Walter Cronkite and bloviate about the launch.

ItsOver

Quote from: SomeVelvetMorning on May 11, 2013, 10:12:42 PM

...I can just see little Georgie begging some kid to build a rocket so he could play Walter Cronkite and bloviate about the launch.

Sounds like typical Noory.  Have somebody else do the work, such as Tommy, then become the mindless blowhard, taking credit for everything.  ::)

Quote from: ItsOver on May 11, 2013, 10:47:21 PM

Sounds like typical Noory.  Have somebody else do the work, such as Tommy, then become the mindless blowhard, taking credit for everything.  ::)

George is one of these extremely insecure boring people who feel they need to make things up as they go along and tryto top other peoples stories.  It's just that he does it live on syndicated radio instead of the water cooler at work, at some bar somewhere, or at the table during family get togethers.  This is another made up story that occured to him to tell the middle of some interview - it continues his BS narrative that he's been interested in Coast topics from early on and has a genetic apptitude for radio.  Based on his other personal stories that either don't ring true or are demonstrably false, I see no reason to believe this one either.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 12, 2013, 01:16:30 AM

George is one of these extremely insecure boring people who feel they need to make things up as they go along and tryto top other peoples stories.  It's just that he does it live on syndicated radio instead of the water cooler at work, at some bar somewhere, or at the table during family get togethers.  This is another made up story that occured to him to tell the middle of some interview - it continues his BS narrative that he's been interested in Coast topics from early on and has a genetic apptitude for radio.  Based on his other personal stories that either don't ring true or are demonstrably false, I see no reason to believe this one either.

Lots of kids in his time probably wanted to be like Walter Cronkite.  I doubt he persuaded anyone to build model rockets but I'm willing to believe he asked a friend to play with his rockets so he could do the pretend announcing.  He does repeatedly tell us that his friend went on to design rocket engines for NASA while he went on into broadcasting, following their early-life career paths. 

The BS part is where he takes credit for friend's interest in rocket science and hence takes personal credit for some of the space pioneering work of NASA (I'm kind of assuming that's what he does anyway).