• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Marc.Knight

On Art's WIKI page it says he wrote that book.  Clever hoaxer, to fit that little fake fact in.

"Books:
Bell has written, or co-written, several books. They include The Quickening: Today's Trends, Tomorrow's World; The Art of Talk (an autobiography); The Source: Journey Through the Unexplained; The Edge: Man's Mysterious Past & Incredible Future; and The Coming Global Superstorm, which became the basis for the popular movie, The Day After Tomorrow."

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on March 11, 2013, 09:21:59 PM
Yes, this thread has jumped the shark. Again. But still, isn't this better than FR stuff?

Anyway thanks for the props, and you have MY respect as well, sir. The Spenser: For Hire story is pretty epic. Me, I got a post-Square Pegs, pre-Sex & The City Sarah Jessica Partridge--er, Parker--visit to my sophomore theater class for a talk/workshop on...well, something or other, I don't remember. There was another actor with her, a 20ish male who'd just done a bit part on Family Ties and he talked about being gay. (This was October 1986 when being out in the industry was still pretty...well, unaccceptable.) I remember this caused no end of sniggers and twitters among my classmates.

In any case, USA ran slightly edited versions of the It's Your Move episodes from 89-92 and I recorded them all, so those have never been far from me. Been meaning to put them all on DVD but haven't gotten round to it. Recently found a torrent with the uncut network versions, though, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that the USA versions were nowhere near as butchered as I thought. Might hybridize them at some point and put them out there since it's unlikely they'll ever see an official DVD release even with Jason Bateman's mid-career resuscitation.

But it was a blast to finally see Spencer again. (When it came back a few months later retitled Under One Roof, it was lame, lame, lame.)

Also regarding the It's Your Move/Married With Children connection...they had the same creators, Michael G. Moye and Ron Leavitt. In many ways IYM's harder edged tone was an absolute precursor to MWC. It was just too tough for mainstream networks in 1984, I guess, though there was the big brouhaha when parents supposedly objected to Jason Bateman basically playing a teenage JR Ewing (rest in peace tonight) and scamming everyone so they retooled the show...ugh. All I can say is, that was 8th/9th grade for me, and that's who I WANTED to be, was that guy.

In any case the Tartikoff era was indeed brilliant and never to be duplicated. I was also thinking of a few other forgotten gems from that era: Sara with Geena Davis & Bronson Pinchot, Buffalo Bill with Dabney Coleman, All Is Forgiven with...um...people whose names I can't recall ATM, Double Trouble with the Sagal Twins (Peg Bundy's little sisters and the twins from Grease 2!), the Cheers spinoff Tortellis, FM with Robert Hayes, and the one that STILL gets me to this day that it was canceled, GRAND, with Michael McKean, Bill's little brother Joel Murray, Pamela Reed, and the GREAT John Neville. That THAT show as cancelled and WINGS ran for years...it's a true cosmic injustice. (Nevermind Crystal Bernard's anti-evolution song--it's real and you can find it on YouTube!)

OK, serious hijacking here, sorry all. But hey, I heard Art Bell quit Coast to Coast AM....
Art quit...

This thread is certainly like a Miami to Havana flight circa 1969, but like you said, we ain't Rockin' the Fort here.

Much as I loved Cheers and St Elsewhere, I never got a free day off of school from them. So for that one day in Sept, 1985, Spencer For Hire will always have a special place. I can only imagine the disappointment that tourists in Boston feel when they see that "St Eligius" was never a hospital at all, but actually an apartment building in a rather shitty section of town.

It's funny how common subjects today were still taboo on network TV then. The late,lamented Buffalo Bill having an abortion plot, Family Ties having the occasional "gay" episode, but said character was never a series regular in the 80's. However, I think Pinchot's character in Sara was implied. And for safe comedic affect. The legendary "Dudley gets diddled by Mr Carlson" in '83 of Different Strokes. But then the "Just Say No" crud began...I don't think Bridges or Plato listened.

Again, major hat tip to you for those shows you mention, that haven't enough episodes for syndication and the USA Network, a repository for short timers, stopped airing them eons ago.So many of these shows had pre-fame stars, but most of them had the likes of...Dean Cameron or Meeno Peluce. And if anybody under 30 knows who they are...they're lying.

Ron Leavitt, his relationship with Jessica Hahn leading to her rather tedentious split from Howard Stern's show in December, 1993. And you're correct in It's Your Move being a Married With Children forerunner. Ironically, had Ed O Neill's Popeye Doyle series been picked up in '86(same for Christina Applegate's Heart of the City in late '86) that show may have been quite different.

Grand...too smart for network TV and and much of a sitcom's audience(Wings being their desire). Would have been better suited for cable, where ratings aren't a pressing issue. Michael McKean, like Chris Guest, is a genius to those who "get" him, but...the mainstream prefers him to be "Lenny".

Art quit...

FortRock

ART QUIT, BUT IS TO RISE AGAIN! AREA 51 EASTER IS 04/02/13!
So what does that make George Noory? The Pontius Pilat of Paranormal Media!
The Wackenhut Security Bunny will come from Indian Springs, Nevada with all sorts of candy for the believing kids!
Art-Bless, Amen!

Falkie2013

Quote from: FortRock on March 11, 2013, 10:07:24 PM
ART QUIT, BUT IS TO RISE AGAIN! AREA 51 EASTER IS 04/02/13!
So what does that make George Noory? The Pontius Pilat of Paranormal Media!
The Wackenhut Security Bunny will come from Indian Springs, Nevada with all sorts of candy for the believing kids!
Art-Bless, Amen!

Why don't YOU dress up in a bunny suit and go out to the site and tell the Wackenhut men that YOU'RE the Easter Bunny and that you're been sent by George Noory to give free candy to all of the employees and see what happens ?

We already know that you long to be the front half when Snoorge wears his horse costume ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Usagi

Quote from: Unexplained Light on March 11, 2013, 09:42:08 PM
On Art's WIKI page it says he wrote that book.  Clever hoaxer, to fit that little fake fact in.

I told my husband that some Germans put out a fake Art Bell book.  He responded, "Oh, you mean like everything else Art Bell talks about?"

THAT is what I have to deal with... and why I need you guys as my support group.  :'(

I've told him 26 times that Art Bell Quit Coast.  He acts as if it's the first time every time I tell him!  And he acts like he doesn't care.  Care, damn it!  Care!

Sardondi

Quote from: morphiaflow on March 11, 2013, 09:21:59 PM
Yes, this thread has jumped the shark....

Which episode I noticed was on in the syndicated rerun series the other day. And I see the series continued to run for a year or so afterwards. Damn, they were shoulder deep into the entrails of that golden-egg-laying goose, weren't they?

Hey, did you know Art quit?

Falkie2013

Quote from: Usagi on March 11, 2013, 10:31:48 PM
I told my husband that some Germans put out a fake Art Bell book.  He responded, "Oh, you mean like everything else Art Bell talks about?"

THAT is what I have to deal with... and why I need you guys as my support group.  :'(

I've told him 26 times that Art Bell Quit Coast.  He acts as if it's the first time every time I tell him!  And he acts like he doesn't care.  Care, damn it!  Care!

Why don't you buy him a copy of TAOT, or the Quickening, or the Source and make him read it ?

And entice him with something to make him listen to an AB broadcast stream or a You Tube video.

He might just change his mind.

It's like people who say they hate Rush yet have never listened to him.

Or those who do the same with Fox who never watch.

Or become a ham like Art and talk to him directly and give the mike to your husband cold and see if he asks Art anything.

12-31-2011 10:00 P.M.

W6OBB  W6OBB is offline  Ham Member 

Join Date Oct 2002 Posts 5     

Default From Art Bell W6OBB 

Hi all,

My name is Art Bell W6OBB. I have just joined the Echolink Universe. I
am Retired from the Broadcast business and would love it if you would
join us at W6OBB-L here in Pahrump, Nevada.     

www.maplandia.com/united-states/nevada/nye-county/pahrump/#map

kingdomofsigh

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 11, 2013, 08:58:52 PM
      Art Bell quit...

Okay, that out of the way so I can "hijack", but you have my eternal respect for the recall of NBC's 1984-85 new additions(both shows getting gassed in '85) It's Your Move trying to build off Silver Spoons success obviously, with a post My Tutor Caren Kaye and pre-Married With Children David Garrison. Spencer being a Saturday night show, debuting on 12/1. Hoping for a bit of nepotistic gold I'd presume.

Now, Spencer For Hire provided us with the flimiest excuse for a day off of school ever. On Friday, Sept 20, 1985, my parochial school in South Boston was closed for the day. Because they were filming Spencer For Hire across the street and needed the parking lot for all of their trucks/trailers. Ultimately, we got a day off of school for a six minute segment of an episode that I believed aired on Jan 7, 1986. I think missing that day of education lead to my "Clavinesque" path which put me in the USPS from 1995-2005.

TV in the 80's(NBC going from laughing stock in '83, with Manimal/Boone/Mr Smith, to Tartikoff's dynastic 1984-1990 run)...those were better times. But I also wasn't an adult...which helped.
           Oh..and my cousin went from "Burky" to "Corky" literally overnight. He was 16 the time(I was 14) and you know how nice kids are at that age. His kids are about 2-3 years away from being informed about their father's nickname. Once they're old enough to break balls, I'll be providing the ammo.

I still remember being pissed that the final part of a multi-part "Dregs of Humanity" episode arc of It's Your Move was pre-empted by a Reagan speech - I didn't get closure on it until Youtube came along...  ::)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: kingdomofsigh on March 12, 2013, 01:27:55 AM

I still remember being pissed that the final part of a multi-part "Dregs of Humanity" episode arc of It's Your Move was pre-empted by a Reagan speech - I didn't get closure on it until Youtube came along...  ::)

This is true, Reagan had a pre-inaugural Q&A with the press in prime time. That would have been Wednesday, Jan 9, 1985. There seemed to be quite a few of them back then, and usually interrupting something you wanted to see.

morphiaflow

I had the reverse experience; the conclusion wasn't aired till summer repeats, and I only saw part 2. But thanks to the USA Network, it's safely been part of my home-recorded collection for over two decades.

The Dregs even made it into the Rockolopedia Fakebandica, where to my surprise the Lone Rangers (from Airheads) didn't. Weird.

Anyway, torrents of IYM are out there and some are on YouTube also. SOOO funny. It stands up to this day.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on March 12, 2013, 01:42:35 AM
I had the reverse experience; the conclusion wasn't aired till summer repeats, and I only saw part 2.
NBC switched It's Your Move to saturdays right after Dregs 2. Probably made the decision to cancel beforehand, but I believe it's final episodes/reruns were on that night into August. Which was actually still a viable night in primetime-shows like Golden Girls/227 being launched that fall of '85(though Saturday hasn't been as valued in nearly two decades)

Art Bell quit. April 2 is nothing more than Opening Day for several MLB teams.

onan

Quote from: Usagi on March 11, 2013, 10:31:48 PM

I know. right? I called my local police to explain the crime... you would have thought I was wasting their time.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Unexplained Light on March 11, 2013, 09:42:08 PM

"Books:
Bell has written, or co-written, several books. They include The Quickening: Today's Trends, Tomorrow's World; The Art of Talk (an autobiography); The Source: Journey Through the Unexplained; The Edge: Man's Mysterious Past & Incredible Future; and The Coming Global Superstorm, which became the basis for the popular movie, The Day After Tomorrow."

Well, Whitley says he and Art didn't write it. Nothing back from Whitley but given that the book has disappeared for sale on Amazon, I can only assume that Whitley got them to do aomething about it.

As for Hale Bopp, it's still out there somewhere deep in space.

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on March 12, 2013, 02:00:42 AMI know. right? I called my local police to explain the crime... you would have thought I was wasting their time.

Stop it - you made me strangle on Coke Zero here....

Quote from: Falkie2013 on March 11, 2013, 08:51:24 PM
The above photo is one of the best examples of pareidolia â€" the tendency for the human mind to see significant image where none exist â€" that there is.  The same thing that makes people think a cloud looks like an elephant or that they see the Virgin Mary in their Dorito is what causes us to see this man standing in a tree.

That's a great image, it really does look like a British actor is standing in that tree.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: analog kid on March 09, 2013, 02:34:07 PM
He's a trekkie? That explains a lot.

There's a difference between a trekie and a treker. 

stevesh

Quote from: Sardondi on March 12, 2013, 03:21:44 AM
Stop it - you made me strangle on Coke Zero here....

Coke Zero ? Good God, man, don't you know that aspartame breaks down into methyl alcohol and formaldehyde in your body and was foisted upon an unsuspecting public by none other than Donald Rumsfeld ? I heard a real medical doctor say so on the Coast To Coast radio program.

onan

Quote from: Marc knight on March 12, 2013, 06:22:58 AM

There's a difference between a trekie and a treker.

Yeah but only in the spelling.

Falkie2013

Is it me or does it look like Jon Pertwee's trapped inside that tree ?

The 3rd Doctor Who for those who might not be fans of the series.

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on March 12, 2013, 06:32:42 AMCoke Zero ? Good God, man, don't you know that aspartame breaks down into methyl alcohol and formaldehyde in your body and was foisted upon an unsuspecting public by none other than Donald Rumsfeld ? I heard a real medical doctor say so on the Coast To Coast radio program.

They've killed me? Bastards!

Quick! The turmeric!

McPhallus

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 11, 2013, 09:57:20 PM
        The legendary "Dudley gets diddled by Mr Carlson" in '83 of Different Strokes. But then the "Just Say No" crud began...I don't think Bridges or Plato listened.         

The one episode of Diff'rent Strokes I remember was the one where Dana Plato starts dating a guy whom she suspects to be a closet racist.  So she outs him on a date by showing up decked out in blackface and a 'fro wig.  Classic TV, there.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on March 12, 2013, 10:57:51 AM

The one episode of Diff'rent Strokes I remember was the one where Dana Plato starts dating a guy whom she suspects to be a closet racist.  So she outs him on a date by showing up decked out in blackface and a 'fro wig.  Classic TV, there.
Good call. That was very early on in the series, probably year 1 or 2. Though wouldn't a closet racist flee at the mere sight of her adopted brothers? She probably wouldn't have needed the Kiwi treatment to smoke him out.

FortRock

No wonder Dana Plato had problems, with adopted brothers like those? Tumeric would not do anything, it does not help the brain. BUT as George always says, "if you take a Statin Drug, take Niacin". I wonder how much Niacin Dana took in those days?

FortRock

OH AND ONE OTHER THING:
The difference between Trekkie and Trekker, if your a Trekkie you became a fan of Star Trek during the original run of Star Trek: The Old Series (Captain Kirk) or the reruns in the 1970's. Trekkers joined the Fan Community during the run of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Captain Picard).

Usagi

So, when is somebody going to try to put out a fake Jorch Noory book?  Oh, wait... that's right... he sucks.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Usagi on March 12, 2013, 12:28:06 PM
So, when is somebody going to try to put out a fake Jorch Noory book?  Oh, wait... that's right... he sucks.
It would be figured out immediately. Noory's idiocy is so sui generis that trying to copy it is impossible. As dopey and moronic as someone can pretend to be...they still can't reach Noory's depths.

Falkie2013

Quote from: FortRock on March 12, 2013, 11:41:10 AM
No wonder Dana Plato had problems, with adopted brothers like those? Tumeric would not do anything, it does not help the brain. BUT as George always says, "if you take a Statin Drug, take Niacin". I wonder how much Niacin Dana took in those days?

Just how truly clueless are you ? The guy makes a funny joke and you go on and on about something that has nothing to do with turmeric and then say that the character's adopted brothers were worthless ? Dana Plato had personal problems as did Gary Coleman who got ripped off by his parents. Get with it guy, you're far too often off center from everyone else on here and I'm tired of reading your rants.

ItsOver

Quote from: Usagi on March 12, 2013, 12:28:06 PM

I thought all of Jorch's "books" were fake?