• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 04, 2016, 12:48:06 PM
That's been suggested routinely since before the Sirius comeback.  For whatever reason, he doesn't want to do that.

Art has been very clear and very adamant about his inflexibility regarding making changes to the show. That includes the format and the frequency of broadcasts (his fill-in days on C2C being the only temporary exception I can think of). He refuses to disturb his winning formula for any reason. That much is obvious.

Robert

Quote from: NXOEED on June 04, 2016, 10:04:10 AMIt would have been cool to hear Art come back with a weekly 45-minute podcast on Gimlet, or something like it.
Maybe.  But I'm not sure either he or the audience would dig it that much.

45' is a performance, if you get what I mean.  Not the kind of 'cast we're used to from him.  Jean Shepherd's show was, for most of the years (AFAIK) he was on, 45' including ads.  I never heard any (except a brief clip, ISTR) of the all-night shows he did for a while, wonder what they were like.

trostol

pretty sure if it was any time soon it wouldn't be the same sorta show it was..i would think it would be vastly more political..least through this year

whoozit

Quote from: trostol on June 04, 2016, 05:34:57 PM
pretty sure if it was any time soon it wouldn't be the same sorta show it was..i would think it would be vastly more political..least through this year
I think the explosion of paranormal shows has diluted the guest pool to a dangerous point.  That is why Art was talking more politics.  It really was a change back to his earlier days because we have all heard the paranormal guests stories many times. 

trostol

Quote from: whoozit on June 04, 2016, 06:17:39 PM
I think the explosion of paranormal shows has diluted the guest pool to a dangerous point.  That is why Art was talking more politics.  It really was a change back to his earlier days because we have all heard the paranormal guests stories many times.

i think that is a huge problem with shows now

NXOEED

Quote from: Robert on June 04, 2016, 05:32:34 PM
Maybe.  But I'm not sure either he or the audience would dig it that much.

45' is a performance, if you get what I mean.  Not the kind of 'cast we're used to from him.  Jean Shepherd's show was, for most of the years (AFAIK) he was on, 45' including ads.  I never heard any (except a brief clip, ISTR) of the all-night shows he did for a while, wonder what they were like.

He might not. I'd like it. And I don't necessarily mean a hard 45 minutes. Race Wars goes two hours long every Thursday and it's the best fucking podcast there is right now. I just like the flexibility of them. Some of them divide their episodes into seasons. Mystery Show did six episodes a year ago and then announced that its last one was the "season finale". Serial does 10-12 and then it's out for a year.

The one thing about podcasts that I've never experienced with a radio show is that there are some of them that are like Christmas every time the feed refreshes and a new one syncs to my device. I don't know that I've ever been that consistently excited about a straight up radio show for years on end, aside from special events like the old Ghost-To-Ghosts or Art's return to radio. It would be totally great to get an hour or two of Art once a week for like six to twelve weeks at a time. Then rather than get tired and retire after a few months, he could just announce "The end of season one" and disappear for a while.

But I totally get why it's not gonna happen, and I don't necessarily disagree that a podcast is more of a "performance" than a guy like him is willing to do. I remember hearing that old episode of the Gabcast, the one where he called in and answered questions about a possible return to radio. He didn't seem to make a distinction between a podcast and an internet radio show, and that baffled me a little. Podcasts and "show archives" are not the same thing at all, at least to me.

But whatever. It would be great if it were to happen some day. I don't expect it to.

Robert

Quote from: NXOEED on June 04, 2016, 06:38:36 PMI remember hearing that old episode of the Gabcast, the one where he called in and answered questions about a possible return to radio. He didn't seem to make a distinction between a podcast and an internet radio show, and that baffled me a little. Podcasts and "show archives" are not the same thing at all, at least to me.
30+ yrs. ago I was baffled that the makers of weekly 1-hr. comedy show on WCWP, "Post Serial" were quitting because they could no longer do it live.  I asked why, especially considering that the parts I liked best were their produced, pre-recorded segments like "Superstar Man" and the one about Agent double-oh-zero.  I think it was Tim Hernandez who told me that even though it wasn't a phone-in show, they used to get unsolicited phone calls off air that were the kind of rxn they needed.

Chris T. a few days ago announced that his podcast, "Aerial View", which started on WFMU and he'd continued weekly since leaving the station for foot surgery last fall, was ending.

NXOEED

Quote from: Robert on June 04, 2016, 07:07:57 PM
Chris T. a few days ago announced that his podcast, "Aerial View", which started on WFMU and he'd continued weekly since leaving the station for foot surgery last fall, was ending.

That was a hard one for me to get into. Sorry to hear it's going, though.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: trostol on June 04, 2016, 06:23:09 PM
i think that is a huge problem with shows now

My expectation of hearing anything new and different on any paranormal-type show these days, or of being entertained and not bored, is close to zero. The genre has pretty much exhausted itself and most listeners with it. Every once and a while I'll listen to this show or that just to poke the body and make sure it's still lifeless, but right now the whole genre is in serious need of Dr. Frankenstein.

Sheer numbers of podcasts by wannabes desperate to change this reality won't help. The only thing that would help is a revolutionary and different approach to the subject matter, a unique perspective, and some very entertaining packaging for it all. That's asking a lot, but that's what it would take IMO.

While we're waiting, I suggest revisiting the classics, like "The Twilight Zone" or "The Outer Limits." This stuff is timeless and well worth re-experiencing. And it's either that or suspended animation, Heather-like objects not being an option. Sorry, but that's where we're at, in case anyone is still in denial.

NXOEED

Quote from: Value Of Pi on June 04, 2016, 07:32:53 PM

Sheer numbers of podcasts by wannabes desperate to change this reality won't help. The only thing that would help is a revolutionary and different approach to the subject matter, a unique perspective, and some very entertaining packaging for it all. That's asking a lot, but that's what it would take IMO.

I don't disagree, really. Most podcasts are garbage. The minute I hear "We sat down with so-and-so for an interview via Skype", I'm out. Skype sounds like shit, and there's always a moment in the show where the call drops or gets choppy.  I want it to sound either like everybody's in the same room, or somebody's calling in on a pay phone. Skype ruins everything.

I'm not listening to paranormal radio right now, mostly because we've heard everything every guest has ever had to say about anything. I'm reminded of that moment around 1993 or 1994, when every D-list celebrity got a daytime talk show and basically killed the genre (with one or two exceptions).

trostol

Quote from: NXOEED on June 04, 2016, 07:49:08 PM
I don't disagree, really. Most podcasts are garbage. The minute I hear "We sat down with so-and-so for an interview via Skype", I'm out. Skype sounds like shit, and there's always a moment in the show where the call drops or gets choppy.  I want it to sound either like everybody's in the same room, or somebody's calling in on a pay phone. Skype ruins everything.

I'm not listening to paranormal radio right now, mostly because we've heard everything every guest has ever had to say about anything. I'm reminded of that moment around 1993 or 1994, when every D-list celebrity got a daytime talk show and basically killed the genre (with one or two exceptions).

thats the other thing i do not understand..there HAS to be something better then Skype out there..it sucks...they all know it..yet they all still use it lol

Is tonight a replay of an SIT?
Somewhere in Time returns to 4/9/96 for an evening of Open Lines with such topics as the Montana Freemen standoff, doom and gloom news, and technology's reach into modern life.

73s

Quote from: NXOEED on June 04, 2016, 07:49:08 PM
The minute I hear "We sat down with so-and-so for an interview via Skype", I'm out. Skype sounds like shit, and there's always a moment in the show where the call drops or gets choppy.

Yes! I hate Skype. I don't know why Art kept promoting it like it was stellar quality. It might be better than a shitty cell phone in marginal coverage but it doesn't sound good. Invariably there's a drop eventually or some garbled audio. I'd rather hear a landline (if those still exist).

Quote from: trostol on June 04, 2016, 07:51:57 PM
thats the other thing i do not understand..there HAS to be something better then Skype out there..it sucks...they all know it..yet they all still use it lol

It's pretty good if you buy their Skype server and all the other BS.

NXOEED

Quote from: 73s on June 04, 2016, 07:52:54 PM
Yes! I hate Skype. I don't know why Art kept promoting it like it was stellar quality. It might be better than a shitty cell phone in marginal coverage but it doesn't sound good. Invariably there's a drop eventually or some garbled audio. I'd rather hear a landline (if those still exist).

It's the worst. Landline is so much better.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: NXOEED on June 04, 2016, 07:57:25 PM
It's the worst. Landline is so much better.

But in the end it's not about the quality of technology but the quality of ideas and the human element. Who cares how good the sound is if what you're hearing is not intellectually stimulating and emotionally satisfying?

bobo17

folks
are you hard of hearing?
i am back
the meeting is on (being planned)
if you cant get excited about  that...check your pulse
night time radio is soon to arrive,
as soon as i have the meeting with art, we will be back to 5 days a weak

you can thank me now or thank me later
bobo

trostol

Quote from: bobo17 on June 04, 2016, 08:13:54 PM
folks
are you hard of hearing?
i am back
the meeting is on (being planned)
if you cant get excited about  that...check your pulse
night time radio is soon to arrive,
as soon as i have the meeting with art, we will be back to 5 days a weak

you can thank me now or thank me later
bobo

you went full moon moon

NXOEED

Quote from: Value Of Pi on June 04, 2016, 08:12:04 PM
But in the end it's not about the quality of technology but the quality of ideas and the human element. Who cares how good the sound is if what you're hearing is not intellectually stimulating and emotionally satisfying?

Yeah, we're not in disagreement here. I told you I'm not listening to paranormal radio right now because there are so few people saying anything particularly interesting. But poor sound quality can definitely make an otherwise great guest a lot less interesting. I checked out of a three hour Ian Mackaye interview the other day because it was conducted via Skype. I'd have totally been all over that had it been conducted any other way.

Art Bell

Hi again, I thought I would take a moment to agree with what some of you have said. For example I feel that yes things have changed, when I moved the show from boring Politics to the Paranormal I was pretty much alone, now the field is like a LA drive time traffic jam which has diluted the airwaves with Paranormal Radio to the point that Guests are simply saying the same stuff over and over on show after show, I prefer opening new ground, not plowing the same ground again and again. Also complicating the field is that there frankly is not much new, nothing like the big days of big sightings and good abduction stories. It has pretty much dried up. It is still more interesting then Politics with the possible exception of this Year.

Some are wondering why I have not spent much time on Ham radio, read this recent article for more info.....http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article81740737.html

I still love the big questions in life like what comes next if anything, how did we get here, what might take us out and so much more.

Art

Quote from: Art Bell on June 04, 2016, 08:31:33 PM
Hi again, I thought I would take a moment to agree with what some of you have said. For example I feel that yes things have changed, when I moved the show from boring Politics to the Paranormal I was pretty much alone, now the field is like a LA drive time traffic jam which has diluted the airwaves with Paranormal Radio to the point that Guests are simply saying the same stuff over and over on show after show, I prefer opening new ground, not plowing the same ground again and again. Also complicating the field is that there frankly is not much new, nothing like the big days of big sightings and good abduction stories. It has pretty much dried up. It is still more interesting then Politics with the possible exception of this Year.

Some are wondering why I have not spent much time on Ham radio, read this recent article for more info.....http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article81740737.html

I still love the big questions in life like what comes next if anything, how did we get here, what might take us out and so much more.

Art

I miss the Malachi Martin type interviews. Dealing with NDE, religion, etc were some of the best shows.

GravitySucks

Good to see you Art

73s

I agree the low bands especially are a mess. That's why I stick to 17m or CW!  It's too bad you can't get on the air though, those late night roundtables you had were fun listening.

Art

Once a week live show, maybe like a Dreamland, to answer those types of questions? Or podcast?

Art

Art great to see you tonight.  Hope the upcoming meeting with Bobo17 goes well.   Keep us abreast of any developments that arise
from this summit. 

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 04, 2016, 08:43:01 PM
Art great to see you tonight.  Hope the upcoming meeting with Bobo17 goes well.   Keep us abreast of any developments that arise
from this summit.

I have learned Henry Kissinger will be attending the summit.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on June 04, 2016, 08:44:33 PM
I have learned Henry Kissinger will be attending the summit.

The Big Three!

Quote from: Value Of Pi on June 04, 2016, 08:12:04 PM

You should learn a new language.