• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Conspiracy Theories You Buy Into

Started by Uncle Duke, August 19, 2013, 12:00:51 PM

aldousburbank

Quote from: Tinfoil Hat on August 29, 2013, 03:08:17 AM
The big conspiracy theory I believe is that they're all out to get me!1!1!!!11
Just because they're out to get you doesn't mean you're not paranoid.

aldousburbank

The one where The President is half black.

It seems sort of ludicrous now, the notion that, say, Jimmy Connors could defeat Serena Williams (or whoever the women's ranking player is now).  I think it was pretty much a stunt.  Wow, are we old -- waxing nostalgia over Riggs vs. King.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: UFO Fill on August 29, 2013, 04:35:08 AM
That Bobby Riggs set up, then threw his match against Billie Jean King in order to get out of trouble from gambling debts.  Carlos Marcello and Santo Trafficanti were involved.
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9589625/the-match-maker

Funny thing is that his matches against women may have made women's tennis.  Before that, no one paid much attention to the women's game.  But after Riggs, folks tuned in and saw epic battles between Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova and others and continued to watch.

Is there any sport in which the best woman could beat the best man? Say that they're the same age. Do girls have a chance in one or two endurance sports? They're closing the gap in those events, but I'm not aware of any world records (both genders combined).

George Drooly

Quote from: stevesh on August 26, 2013, 09:25:03 AM
That's my take, too. I also don't believe the official story about the JFK assassination. Had to be at least two shooters.

Everyone knows Jackie did it.

ksm32

Out of my five closest friends, the two Americans (both of whom do not like each other normally) swear up & down that the MOON LANDING did NOT happen! They will argue all the day long about it. Why is this?..  My fellow Canadian & cousin who has immediate family employed with NASA (not the singing astronaut) will argue with them all night long about how it did happen. It is fantastic entertainment.

Does anybody know where the whole Moon Thing started? It can't be fox news. The Japanese?

SR-71

Quote from: ksm32 on September 08, 2013, 09:32:17 PM
Out of my five closest friends, the two Americans (both of whom do not like each other normally) swear up & down that the MOON LANDING did NOT happen! They will argue all the day long about it. Why is this?..  My fellow Canadian & cousin who has immediate family employed with NASA (not the singing astronaut) will argue with them all night long about how it did happen. It is fantastic entertainment.

Does anybody know where the whole Moon Thing started? It can't be fox news. The Japanese?
I belive that George Noory is a space alien.

Juan

I knew people who argued that we had not gone to the moon while Neil Armstrong was making his first spacewalk.  In fact, two guys I knew bet a fifth of liquor on whether we would get there before the Apollo 11 launch. 

Yorkshire pud

I believe the idea that Armstrong et al hadn't been to the moon as told by NASA*, was first mooted by an English film maker (aren't they always?) called David Percy. Together with a co author Mary Bennett he wrote a veritable tome called Dark moon. I remember watching an off the wall late night TV chat show where the pair were invited along to explain what they meant. Without going into the political landscape of the book they narrowed their hypothesis down to there being too much radiation between the Earth and the Moon to make it survivable; Mary Bennett actually said that if they had, she would "Eat my hat". Percy, even quoted (although not his name) a "famous" astronomer who when presented with their findings allegedly exclaimed "Oh my god, they didn't go".

The book (and if you really want a long laboured read, borrow it, or buy it cheap) is long and very in-depth. It's also wrong on several points. He claimed that the Apollo-Soyuz joint mission was in fact the real deal to take a cosmonaut to the moon. And that this explains the huge and elaborate memorial to Yuri Gregarin's predecessor (Name escapes me). And that it was he, not Gregarin who was the Soviet hero, but because of absolute secrecy, wasn't made public. That the secrecy ensued because it was known before he went to the moon he would die either on the way back, or shortly afterwards. That the cold war wasn't. It was in fact a joint US/Soviet collaboration and the cold war was the cover and excuse to pour billions of dollars into a space program.

I spotted a photo in the book that Percy describes as having an effect caused by a 'temporal shift'.. It was quite obviously camera shake, nd I wrote to the publisher to say so (Pre e mails and net) and got a reply to the effect I didn't know what I was talking about and that David Percy shouldn't be doubted! Open to debate then?

Since then, well, those who think we went and met aliens, or didn't go because aliens told us not to, Hoaxland thinks we went and discovered glass Walmarts and cities..and every variation in between.

Quote from: George Drooly on September 02, 2013, 03:14:36 AM
Everyone knows Jackie did it.

CSM from the street drain.

I thought everybody knew that.

kf5iwe

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on August 26, 2013, 12:24:53 AM
Add MLK and RFK to the list. Maybe you could add Malcolm X too. Throw in some intentional failures to adequately respond to actionable intelligence. That's not to mention a long list of documented historical conspiracy *facts*.
And George Lincoln Rockwell.
And what about Egypt Air Flight 990? The pilot left the cockpit and the co pilot took over said ALLAH AKBAR(on the black box played by media on tv at the time) and crashed it into the sea?
And Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

There is nothing that irritates me more than the moon landing hoax conspiracy. I live on Long Island, home of Grumman back when it was in its glory days and while I was still doing defense work, I met many an engineer who worked on the Lunar Module. To say it's a hoax is deeply insulting to the hundreds of men and women who gave it all for this project. These guys are dying off and soon there will be no more first hand accounts of the work they did, so it's even more important to keep their achievement alive and crack the hoaxers across the knuckles with logic, facts, figures and historical records. I don't get it, I really don't.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: kf5iwe on September 10, 2013, 05:14:54 PM
And George Lincoln Rockwell.

You wonder about Huey Long too. He tried to remove a judge whose son-in-law shot him to death. It's not safe to be a populist. Not that Malcolm X and Rockwell fit into that category.

I also know one or two people who think that the footage we viewed of the moon landing was from a studio. Their argument is based on the weight of the equipment. As in the camera equipment was just too heavy and it made no practical sense to bring it with them-taking up volume and mass inside the lunar module. Everything that goes into space has a huge fight over weight-who gets to put what equipment for measuring something on it.

HumanBeing

What about the possibility of the main stream media being controlled by a single entity...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzAytlDjl7E

wr250

premier paid art off to quit.
also
art's wife hiring a hitman (bf, or something) to off art for his money.
::)

Robert

I buy into the pretty darn well-supported theory that the Priory of Sion was a hoax produced by a conspiracy between Plantard, de Sede, and possibly others.  What's fun is that you have to choose between its being a real conspiracy & a hoax conspiracy; there's practically no other choice!

One question is whether you consider Henry Lincoln to have joined the conspiracy.  I think he's basically in the role of a reporter who slanted accounts toward the more interesting side, not unlike many of the talk show hosts we listen to.

trostol

Quote from: HumanBeing on December 14, 2015, 08:07:05 AM
What about the possibility of the main stream media being controlled by a single entity...?

wouldnt surprise me

Dr Who

I joined conspiracy date today and met my first date who was covered in mud yea you guessed it she didn't want to be with me she was a plant.

Robert

Quote from: HumanBeing on December 14, 2015, 08:07:05 AMWhat about the possibility of the main stream media being controlled by a single entity...?

I noticed that decades ago in newspapers.  "Lifestyle" features like this are uncredited boilerplate, often recycled for years; I hoped the papers were at least paying for it, rather than just ripping each other off.  Now that there's Google on digitized periodicals from way back you can find examples from then easily.  I'm not talking about syndicated columns, I mean things under various bylines, usually just with maybe 10% of the words altered (not counting deletions), otherwise verbatim, no indication of any other credit.

When I checked my students' papers for plagiarism, I frequently found that such passages had already been plagiarized by the sources they'd lifted them from.

Juan

Lots of organizations, The Center for Science in the Public Interest being one, send out entire press kits including scripts and video on topics they want presented in a certain way.  Reporters take the material, make a few slight adjustments, and use it as their own.  Everyone wins - the organization gets its point published and the reporter has an easy story.  Only the news seeker loses.

flimflam384

I believe there are groups of individuals, mostly unknown, some very influential, powerful and famous, who have conspired to make lots and lots of money.  We call these conspiracies "Corporations".

Beyond that, I think there are all kinds of conspiracies in the world, but nothing overreaching, and most of them are conflicting or competing conspiracies, and rivalries within those conspiracies.  We are humans and don't have a hive mind, so we wouldn't be able to pull off some great-vast-illuminati bullshit.  So in the end, the world's just a big mess, and we're all just conspiring to put meat on the table.

Ciardelo

Quote from: flimflam384 on December 25, 2015, 01:21:48 AM
I believe there are groups of individuals, mostly unknown, some very influential, powerful and famous, who have conspired to make lots and lots of money.  We call these conspiracies "Corporations".

Beyond that, I think there are all kinds of conspiracies in the world, but nothing overreaching, and most of them are conflicting or competing conspiracies, and rivalries within those conspiracies.  We are humans and don't have a hive mind, so we wouldn't be able to pull off some great-vast-illuminati bullshit.  So in the end, the world's just a big mess, and we're all just conspiring to put meat on the table.
Very nicely put.

May I add that the time of gift-giving and secret Santa's is the most conspiratorial time of year?

henge0stone

I buy into that the government probably knows more about UFOs than they say. They recorded UFOs in the 50s and looked into it several times so I think there was something to it. How much they know is up for debate. I don't think they know a whole lot or are in league with Aliens or anything but I do think they put some disinformation out there for the purpose of,
1. confuse the public on UFOs
and
2. get people off the trail of secret projects.

I saw a netflix documentary called Mirage men which had a convincing argument for government disinformation on UFOs. A lot of UFO investigators are naive too. Look at Steven Greer, he just happens to have all these people from high places tell him stuff? Sure seems like an easy way to disseminate disinformation to me. 

JFK I recently started reading about thanks to MV's podcast. I haven't really found anything really that out of place. Johnson was suspicious for several reasons but I'm not sure.

The conspiracy that big companies and banks dictate terms to the government is probably mostly true given that in the real world money is power. I don't even know if that should be considered a conspiracy or not.

That's probably all I buy into. 9/11 truthers I don't believe, and the physics they bring up over and over are not accurate. Same with the moon landing Hoax, it was invented by people who don't know enough about space, radiation in space and physics on the moon.

Robert

As to JFK's assassination, for ~20 yrs. I've bought the theory that there was a conspiracy about it -- but only after the fact, to cover up what really happened, which is that he died by accident.

Oswald wanted to kill Connally, but not to kill Kennedy.  He just hit Kennedy once by mistake.  Then George Hickey of the Secret Service, preparing to return fire at the book depository bldg., accidentally had his gun go off & blow JFK's brains out.  Oops!  The neck shot that hit him might already have been enough to kill him regardless, but the cause of the brain splattering was awfully embarrassing, so that's what was covered up.  LBJ had a great view of it, BTW.

Even if that's not exactly what happened, my sense of humor wants it to be true, and it accounts for the facts better than anything else I've heard of.

Robert

Some of you may know that in the world of fiction drama, there's a conspiracy theory I don't merely buy into, but am AFAIK the only exponent of, which is the hidden plot of Lost: http://users.bestweb.net/~robgood/teach .

Which leads to an interesting question: Are conspiracies hidden from the audience more likely in a fictional world than in the real world, or less?  Of course that all depends on the intentions of the writers.  On one hand, it's easier to set up such a conspiracy when you control all he conditions.  On the other, you may lack motivation to do such a thing just to fool the audience.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert on June 29, 2016, 11:06:01 PM
Some of you may know that in the world of fiction drama, there's a conspiracy theory I don't merely buy into, but am AFAIK the only exponent of, which is the hidden plot of Lost: http://users.bestweb.net/~robgood/teach .

Which leads to an interesting question: Are conspiracies hidden from the audience more likely in a fictional world than in the real world, or less?  Of course that all depends on the intentions of the writers.  On one hand, it's easier to set up such a conspiracy when you control all he conditions.  On the other, you may lack motivation to do such a thing just to fool the audience.

Fucking fictioner!  ::)  :P