• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Microsoft, hotmail and skype

Started by WOTR, June 28, 2015, 05:23:20 PM

WOTR

I have been with hotmail from the start- before microsoft bought them out in the mid 90's (that should clue you in to my age.)  I have never set up any other long term email accounts (one or two throw away, but none used for regular use.)  While I had considered getting skype with Art back on the air, I now refuse.

Logging into my hotmail account, I had no choice by to hit the skype ad.  And now skype has created an account, linked it with my hotmail, and stuck itself up on the home screen.  I am not somebody who appreciates the unwanted, unasked for intrusion.

I put up with their crap when they linked hotmail and outlook, told me that I have no privacy for my emails and the countless other tricks that they have pulled- but this is just going too far.  Any time that somebody is so desperate for users that they trick / force you into their product, it is not good.  Were they worried that the millions of people they are going to force into this were simply unaware of skype?

If I have to spend the time to change all of my contacts and my email address on everything from Ebay to Bellgab, I will abandon all M$ products.  I already do without Word Or Excel, and I have flirted with Linux... Maybe this is a sign? 

Greedy little fuckers.

wr250

Quote from: wotr1 on June 28, 2015, 05:23:20 PM
I have been with hotmail from the start- before microsoft bought them out in the mid 90's (that should clue you in to my age.)  I have never set up any other long term email accounts (one or two throw away, but none used for regular use.)  While I had considered getting skype with Art back on the air, I now refuse.

Logging into my hotmail account, I had no choice by to hit the skype ad.  And now skype has created an account, linked it with my hotmail, and stuck itself up on the home screen.  I am not somebody who appreciates the unwanted, unasked for intrusion.

I put up with their crap when they linked hotmail and outlook, told me that I have no privacy for my emails and the countless other tricks that they have pulled- but this is just going too far.  Any time that somebody is so desperate for users that they trick / force you into their product, it is not good.  Were they worried that the millions of people they are going to force into this were simply unaware of skype?

If I have to spend the time to change all of my contacts and my email address on everything from Ebay to Bellgab, I will abandon all M$ products.  I already do without Word Or Excel, and I have flirted with Linux... Maybe this is a sign? 

Greedy little fuckers.

i created an adblock filter to get rid of all that crap, and some other stuff too.

bay180.mail.live.com##.wl_bub_buttons
bay180.mail.live.com##.wl_bub_content
bay180.mail.live.com##.wl_bub_html

WOTR

I will have to look at that.  My adblock on google has got rid of skype coming up automatically.  It does not change the fact that I now have to find a way to get rid of this skype account.  I'm sure even then all of my information (and probably my hotmail contacts) will reside in skypes server forever.

I know it should not be difficult to get rid of it, but I found a M$ 1-800 number and I think that I should keep one of their techs on the line for 15 or 20 minutes while "tech challenged little old me" gets their help getting the crap that they put on my account off.

If they are going to do crap like this that costs me time, it seems only fair that it cost them time as well...

chefist

I think some of you folks are Linux users...I can't get Skype installed properly on my Ubuntu 14...I have my Office 365 up an running with Evolution and Pigeon...

any thoughts? any threads you can recommend? I've tried about everything....

thanks...

wr250

Quote from: chefist on June 28, 2015, 05:44:10 PM
I think some of you folks are Linux users...I can't get Skype installed properly on my Ubuntu 14...I have my Office 365 up an running with Evolution and Pigeon...

any thoughts? any threads you can recommend? I've tried about everything....

thanks...
dont bother. skype for linux sucks horribly. its about 3 versions behind the windows version and microsoft routinely ignores it for years at a time.

chefist

Quote from: wr250 on June 28, 2015, 05:48:43 PM
dont bother. skype for linux sucks horribly. its about 3 versions behind the windows version and microsoft routinely ignores it for years at a time.

cool thanks a lot 250...I have it on my Surface so I can just fire it up if I need to...