• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Reading Minds: The CoastGab Book Club

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, October 23, 2008, 12:06:30 AM

You might have both already come across this, but I very much enjoyed
The Worst Journey In The World

https://archive.org/details/worstjourneyinwo01

coaster

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 16, 2016, 05:54:07 PM
Thanks for your recommendation of Eric Larson. I haven't started any of his yet but they do look good.
You're welcome, and they are great reads. Enjoy.
Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 16, 2016, 05:58:40 PM

thanks.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 16, 2016, 05:58:40 PM

That looks good, thanks!

zeebo

Another good exploration classic is J. Slocum's "Sailing Alone Around the World" (1900).

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6317/6317-h/6317-h.htm

I'm reading The Devils of Loudon by Aldous Huxley right now.  It's a great read but not for everyone especially if your vocabulary is rudimentary and Huxley does expound on theology and philosophy, primarily Jesuit, at times.  It would also help a little if one knows French. There's not too much uninterpreted French in the book but just enough to frustrate me in spots.

If you've seen The Devils by Ken Russell then you basically know what the story is about though it is obviously covered in much more detail here.  The  sexual mores of priests and others in the Catholic church of this age are described in great but not crude detail. I'm only about a third through it and have not gotten to the possession part yet..

Quote from: coaster on February 16, 2016, 03:59:20 PM
I've been reading a lot of non-fiction survival/adventure books lately...The sad thing is I have read so many books on the subject, I think I have exhausted this genre.
The Custom of the Sea, by Neil Hanson, 2000.  Entertaining and engrossing examination of a case of "survival cannibalism" at sea, and it's unprecedented prosecution in Queen Victoria's high courts.

Crabs Omnibus
A Frenzied Feast of Crustacean Gore and Dismemberment

(2015) by Guy N. Smith

Time and time again since that scorching summer of 1976 the monstrous crabs have come ashore and wreaked terrible destruction and carnage on mankind.

Now in this collection of short stories they have returned in a frenzy of foul, insatiable hunger for human flesh, seemingly invincible to every type of weaponry used against them.

Will they ever be exterminated?

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 19, 2016, 10:22:36 PM
Crabs Omnibus

(2015) by Guy N. Smith

Time and time again since that scorching summer of 1976 the monstrous crabs have come ashore and wreaked terrible destruction and carnage on mankind.

Now in this collection of short stories they have returned in a frenzy of foul, insatiable hunger for human flesh, seemingly invincible to every type of weaponry used against them.

Will they ever be exterminated?

That sounds like the perfect literary pivot to make after my recent Dashiell Hammett binge!  Fortunately, I live in a climate zone where these hulking goomers can't get a claw hold.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 19, 2016, 10:43:15 PM
That sounds like the perfect literary pivot to make after my recent Dashiell Hammett binge!  Fortunately, I live in a climate zone where these hulking goomers can't get a claw hold.

I wonder what that guy is thinking?

YES! I ordered the lobster, but WTF?!

(Look away from the brutality, Étouffée, look away.)

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 19, 2016, 10:22:36 PM
Crabs Omnibus
(2015)
"...Then they came for the Crustaceans, and I did not speak outâ€"
Because I was not a Crustacean"

This aggression against crawdads will not stand, Cam.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 20, 2016, 02:42:39 AM

I wonder what that guy is thinking?

"Oh, great. First it was weasels and now this. What's next?  Giant turtles?"

I was going to ask you about those "love-happy girls" in San Antonio, Cam, but then realized they'd probably be in their eighties by now. 

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 20, 2016, 12:42:39 PM
"Oh, great. First it was weasels and now this. What's next?  Giant turtles?"

I was going to ask you about those "love-happy girls" in San Antonio, Cam, but then realized they'd probably be in their eighties by now.

No matter who gets nominated for the presidential election, I think you have established a head start on effective campaign posters/propaganda.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 20, 2016, 01:32:14 PM
No matter who gets nominated for the presidential election, I think you have established a head start on effective campaign posters/propaganda.

"We must fight the pangolins over there so we won't have to fight them here!"

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 20, 2016, 01:32:14 PM

I thought I'd found the basis for a sure fire series of campaign ads for those candidates whose websites have detailed plans for protecting us for the next year from the widespread, existential threat posed by Chinese Fire Monkeys, but the vetting process closer scrutiny revealed them to be just three different versions of the same event. Then again, maybe that wouldn't matter in today's topsy turvy political climate.  Donald Trump and his family probably could stage a live, pay per view performance of the "The Aristocrats" that transcends every generally accepted definition of depravity, and it would only make him stronger.  Gloria Borger would just yammer inanities, Wolf would nod and solemnly agree, and then they'd segue to an inspirational story about a man who survived an attack by deranged coconut crabs.

albrecht

"The Riddle of the Sands" by Robert Erskine Childers. The famous novel that some consider the "first thriller" and popularized the idea that Britain was unprepared and needed to boost their navy and arms to prepare for a war with Germany---> that unfortunately happened a few years later.
The author lead an interesting life in reality finally to have been executed during the Irish Civil War:

"Before his execution, in a spirit of reconciliation, Childers shook hands with each of the firing squad. He also obtained a promise from his then 16-year-old son, the future President Erskine Hamilton Childers, to seek out and shake the hand of every man who had signed his father's death warrant. His last words, spoken to them, were (characteristically) in the nature of a joke: "Take a step or two forward, lads. It will be easier that way.""
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Erskine_Childers

zeebo

Just re-read the sci-fi novella "Sailing to Byzantium" in a collection of Robert Silverberg's stories.  I first read it many years ago and it made an impression on me then.  It's about a far future world where amazing technology allows the recreation of entire cities from the past, like Alexandria or Chang'an.  It won the Nebula Award that year. 

coaster

I read Bill Bryson's At Home: A short History of Private Life a while ago, and am now re-reading the newer, illustrated edition.  It is fascinating and hilarious. Bryson basically leads the reader through a tour of his home, and then gives a detailed history of each room, sometimes going as far back as the damn of civilization.
This is Bryson at his best.

I just read Ian Graham's book called Scarlet Women: The Scandalous Lives of Courtesans, Concubines, and Royal Mistresses. Typical British writer who chronicles tidbits of bawdiness from infamous women who use sex to achieve wealth and title.  Mostly focuses on French and British courtesans and royal mistresses like Anne Boleyn, Cora Pearl, Lola Montez and such.  Touches briefly on the Ancient world, America and the Far East.  Mata Hari was also discussed and the writer clearly thought she didn't deserve her fate.  Favorite bit was about Cora Pearl who once served herself naked on a silver platter carried by four waiters. She was swathed in sugar, fruit and other food.  The diners had a great time eating her.  LOL.   The book was a bit of a letdown and was not as salacious as I wanted it to be.

I picked up 18 of the 20 Travis McGee novels at the local used bookshop (not sure what happened to those other two).
They are fun books with good pacing. I'm surprised this never took off as a TV show.

The books I am missing are:
A Deadly Shade of Gold (1965)
Bright Orange for the Shroud (1965)

I hope those aren't the best ones in the series.

droog

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 14, 2016, 07:34:32 AM
I picked up 18 of the 20 Travis McGee novels at the local used bookshop (not sure what happened to those other two).
They are fun books with good pacing. I'm surprised this never took off as a TV show.

My top 2 used book sites:
bookfinder.com
booksprice.com

zeebo

For those of you who've read the Dark Tower series, is it worth it?  I ground through the Gunslinger and parts of it are cool but alot of it I just didn't get.  I don't really want to invest more in it unless it pays off later.  Btw I just saw that supposedly a movie's coming out next year.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 14, 2016, 07:34:32 AM

Camazotz Automat turned me on to the McGee series a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it.  I still haven't been able to bring myself to read the last one, because I don't want it to end. One of these days I'll get around to it.

There's a 1970 movie version of Darker Than Amber starring Rod Taylor as McGee and Theodore Bikel as Meyer. Taylor is decent in the role, but, of course, much of the movie bears little resemblance to the book (Jane Russell has a cameo as the Alabama Tigress, for cryin' out loud).   The entire movie is on YouTube if you're interested--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpjvnlIxrmE

There was a 1983 TV movie called Travis McGee, with Sam Elliott as McGee. I haven't seen it and don't want to because it sounds terrible. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086473/

I read awhile back that somebody was making The Deep Blue Goodbye with Christian Bale, but I just saw that production has either been postponed or canceled completely because Bale suffered a knee injury.  Too bad, because he might have made a good McGee.

Quote from: droog on April 14, 2016, 01:41:53 PM
My top 2 used book sites:
bookfinder.com
booksprice.com

Thanks for the links. Good to know a new search site.

Quote from: zeebo on March 26, 2016, 02:04:54 PM
Just re-read the sci-fi novella "Sailing to Byzantium" in a collection of Robert Silverberg's stories.  I first read it many years ago and it made an impression on me then.  It's about a far future world where amazing technology allows the recreation of entire cities from the past, like Alexandria or Chang'an.  It won the Nebula Award that year. 
Sounds like a good book. Too bad you are up in Oregon, we could swap books as I've got boxes of older paperback scifi I would love to trade for a box I haven't read yet.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on April 14, 2016, 02:40:05 PM
Camazotz Automat turned me on to the McGee series a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it.  I still haven't been able to bring myself to read the last one, because I don't want it to end. One of these days I'll get around to it.

There's a 1970 movie version of Darker Than Amber starring Rod Taylor as McGee and Theodore Bikel as Meyer. Taylor is decent in the role, but, of course, much of the movie bears little resemblance to the book (Jane Russell has a cameo as the Alabama Tigress, for cryin' out loud).   The entire movie is on YouTube if you're interested

Thanks for the link. I will try and watch the movie.

Quote from: zeebo on April 14, 2016, 02:13:39 PM
For those of you who've read the Dark Tower series, is it worth it?  I ground through the Gunslinger and parts of it are cool but alot of it I just didn't get.  I don't really want to invest more in it unless it pays off later.  Btw I just saw that supposedly a movie's coming out next year.

I've read the main books.  They are ok but not my favorite of King's work.   Basically works as a medieval tale mixed in with Leone/Eastwood western elements and some fantasy elements.  The Stand, It and The Shining are better.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 15, 2016, 02:18:03 PM
... I've got boxes of older paperback scifi I would love to trade for a box I haven't read yet.

There's nothing quite like the fragrance of weathered old paberbacks to inspire the imagination.   ;)

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 15, 2016, 02:35:18 PM
I've read the main books.  They are ok but not my favorite of King's work.   Basically works as a medieval tale mixed in with Leone/Eastwood western elements and some fantasy elements.  The Stand, It and The Shining are better.

Oh nope nope nope, not going near It.  Have enough trouble sleeping as it is. 

coaster

A Land So Strange: The Epic Journey of Cabeza de Vaca. Good read if you are into world history.

chefist

Quote from: coaster on April 15, 2016, 04:51:26 PM
A Land So Strange: The Epic Journey of Cabeza de Vaca. Good read if you are into world history.

A very interesting history of the conquistadors in the Americas...I'm in the land of Vazquez de Coronado here in So. AZ.

He explored all the way to modern day Kansas in 1541! Mayflower was 1620!

albrecht

Thanks, I will check out, the Narváez expedition (and others) is crazy stuff if you think about it. Look at a map and how far they traveled under harsh conditions not knowing where they were going, basically. Only 4 survived. ps: I really like books on early Arctic exploration also.

albrecht

Thanks for the suggestion. Reading it and so far really interesting.