• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

1st hour on-call experts from the stable

Started by Robert, August 10, 2016, 07:41:42 PM

Robert

I notice lately on C2C they may be building back up their roster of experts (or at least "experts") called on in hour 1 to comment on something in the news.  That was what made the show tolerable a few yrs. ago, and then they got away from it.  I liked that they were in the opening hour, because I'd usually fall asleep later, and that they were on just as long as necessary -- could be just a minute, could be the remainder of the hour, anything in between.  Noory just let them talk, they knew what to do.  C2C impressed me highly in those days as being on top of things, so much so that I hardly missed Art.

Juan

We've long discussed having a Bellgab fake expert appear on Coast.  Maybe this is a way in.  Someone think of something new.

akwilly

Quote from: Juan on August 11, 2016, 04:30:25 AM
We've long discussed having a Bellgab fake expert appear on Coast.  Maybe this is a way in.  Someone think of something new.
my only "skills" are fishing and burning poo.

AZZERAE

Quote from: akwilly on August 11, 2016, 05:07:54 AM
my only "skills" are fishing and burning poo.

Ah, but what techinques do you employ to burn that poo, is the question?

AZZERAE

Quote from: Robert on August 10, 2016, 07:41:42 PM
I notice lately on C2C they may be building back up their roster of experts (or at least "experts") called on in hour 1 to comment on something in the news.  That was what made the show tolerable a few yrs. ago, and then they got away from it.  I liked that they were in the opening hour, because I'd usually fall asleep later, and that they were on just as long as necessary -- could be just a minute, could be the remainder of the hour, anything in between.  Noory just let them talk, they knew what to do.  C2C impressed me highly in those days as being on top of things, so much so that I hardly missed Art.

Hey, I was thinking about that yesterday, that first segment guest part of the show is great, I agree. Not certain what you mean about it having changed though... would you be so kind as to elaborate?

Lilith

I nominate MV, as an expert on "bellgab, The Political Incorrectness Experiment".

AZZERAE

Seriously, that's a fantastic idea!

I've always wondered if guests are told to cover for Noory when he makes mistakes.

The reason I say this, is that when Peter Davenport appeared on Midnight in the Desert with Art he began the interview with the usual "Hmm, hmm" kind of verbal nod-in-agreement he's got in the habit of doing with Noory. He then realized, Art wanted to have a CONVERSATION with him, and that magic happened where Art started pulling gems out of Davenport, making what he said sound fascinating - regardless of how banal it might've been.

akwilly

Quote from: Azzerae on August 11, 2016, 06:33:39 AM
Ah, but what techinques do you employ to burn that poo, is the question?
there is a thread on bellgab on that subject

AZZERAE

Quote from: akwilly on August 11, 2016, 06:54:47 AM
there is a thread on bellgab on that subject

May you please link me to said thread, friend?

akwilly

Quote from: Azzerae on August 11, 2016, 07:05:52 AM
May you please link me to said thread, friend?
just type burning poo on the search on upper right

whoozit

Quote from: akwilly on August 11, 2016, 07:18:26 AM
It burns when I pee.  Is that covered in the thread?

Robert

Quote from: Azzerae on August 11, 2016, 06:36:59 AMHey, I was thinking about that yesterday, that first segment guest part of the show is great, I agree. Not certain what you mean about it having changed though... would you be so kind as to elaborate?
Say about 5 years ago it was featured much more prominently.  More recently, not so much, practically not there.  Now I'm noticing it again.  For example, last night, just for a minute, I forgot what about.

AZZERAE

Quote from: akwilly on August 11, 2016, 07:18:26 AM

Wow, thanks for nothing!

AZZERAE

Quote from: Robert on August 11, 2016, 08:27:25 AM
Say about 5 years ago it was featured much more prominently.  More recently, not so much, practically not there.  Now I'm noticing it again.  For example, last night, just for a minute, I forgot what about.

Could you repeat that? I didn't quite catch

Robert

Quote from: Azzerae on August 11, 2016, 06:36:59 AMHey, I was thinking about that yesterday, that first segment guest part of the show is great, I agree. Not certain what you mean about it having changed though... would you be so kind as to elaborate?
It hadn't been Art's usual way of starting the show, though he may have been doing it toward the end.  Some time in the past decade, when Noory last became M-F m.c., maybe not from the very beginning but shortly afterward, it became a frequently prominent part of the 1st hour.  But maybe the past 2-3 years it seemed to become less frequent or prominent.  Very recently, maybe just the past month, it seems to be coming back.

Uncle Duke

Back in the early 80s, one of the talk stations in the Tidewater, Va area got scammed by a totally fake guest.  I don't remember what he talked about, but as I recall the guest passed himself off as a college professor, I think in political science.  The guy didn't say anything vulgar or outrageous, but it apparently became obvious the longer he was on the air he had no idea what he was talking about.  The word was the local host who scheduled him almost lost his job for failing to vett him before interviewing him. 

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 11, 2016, 01:40:02 PM
Back in the early 80s, one of the talk stations in the Tidewater, Va area got scammed by a totally fake guest.  I don't remember what he talked about, but as I recall the guest passed himself off as a college professor, I think in political science.  The guy didn't say anything vulgar or outrageous, but it apparently became obvious the longer he was on the air he had no idea what he was talking about.  The word was the local host who scheduled him almost lost his job for failing to vett him before interviewing him.
I think in these days of needing to be first to break and find "experts" on "breaking news" and low budgets that stations don't vett guests very much, if at all. Recall just recently some guy, Wayne Simmons claimed he was some military expert with all kinds of professional experience and ex-CIA and Fox used his analysis as a guest countless times. Even our military used him. Finally he was convicted but I don't think any of the hosts or their staff was fired or disciplined for not checking the guy out.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on August 11, 2016, 01:49:05 PM
I think in these days of needing to be first to break and find "experts" on "breaking news" and low budgets that stations don't vett guests very much, if at all. Recall just recently some guy, Wayne Simmons claimed he was some military expert with all kinds of professional experience and ex-CIA and Fox used his analysis as a guest countless times. Even our military used him. Finally he was convicted but I don't think any of the hosts or their staff was fired or disciplined for not checking the guy out.

When talk radio was in it infancy, there were not the nationally syndicated shows of today. Local stations had multiple local hosts, so there were hundreds of shows looking for guests on any given day across the country.  With no internet to check out guests, getting frauds and pranksters probably happened more than we know.  The guy I remember in Va was just a joker, he had no agenda or wasn't trying to defraud anyone to make a buck.