• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Blitz

Started by Heather Wade, June 25, 2015, 09:39:54 PM

NXOEED

I've got a project. I'm not sure which thread to post about it in, but it's kind of "blitzy", and this one seems to be dying out, so what the hell, I'll post here...

My friends and I make zines. Not webzines, but the kind you hold in your hands. The kind you found in record stores, punk venues and head shops, back when you were in your teens and going to shows. The "cut and paste" community is alive and well. Zine trades are still happening throughout the world.

We call ourselves "Curses! Media", and we distribute through Viva Vox Press. We've got comics, manifestos, journals of urban exploration, band fanzines, train-hopper diaries, all sorts of shit. And we've got a new one coming out. This one's dedicated to the paranormal. We're calling it  "Apparitions".

We want personal stories -- ghost stories, alien encounters, etc. We also want a good portion of it to revolve around Art's new show. We've already got a couple pages devoted to building the perfect shortwave antenna for picking up the show on Art's shortwave affiliates.

I'm a promoter by day. I do a thirty-mile loop around the city on bike every night, hanging posters similar to the one I made for Art. I encounter all kinds of street folks -- schizophrenics, 'spangers, addicts... people most folks go out of their way to avoid talking to. I've been collecting their stories for this project, and some of them are mind-blowing. Those are the ones we're most interested in -- people who see things that dudes who drive nice cars, marry and divorce hot wives, yell at their ten kids in the other room for being too loud, and live in mini-mansions never get to see.

The aesthetic for this project is heavy DIY. All hand drawn or cut and paste. Editing software is never allowed at Curses! Media. We live in a world where IStockPhoto does not exist. If you're interested in contributing, we'd love to have you, whether it's a ghost story, alien abduction, interview with Bigfoot himself, or just an illustration. I'll probably do most of the illustrating, so if you liked the Art Bell poster, think of a book featuring mostly shit like that every three months.

The goal is to introduce Art Bell and all that encompasses him to an entirely new demographic. Our zines are usually found in anarchist co-ops, underground infoshops, and at zine conventions around the world. Not a huge audience, but a fun and interesting one. 

If interested, please get in touch. We'd love to have you.

NXOEED

oh yeah, and the email address I floated in the chat last night for this project apparently doesn't work. just PM me.

chefist

BELLGABERS! Tomorrow is open lines for Rush Limbaugh...love or hate him this is for Art! Call in the show and make a passionate plea to honor Art and Rush for saving AM radio, and talk about Art's return!

zeebo

Quote from: chefist on August 27, 2015, 08:49:17 PM
BELLGABERS! Tomorrow is open lines for Rush Limbaugh...love or hate him this is for Art! Call in the show and make a passionate plea to honor Art and Rush for saving AM radio, and talk about Art's return!

Great idea chefist!  No matter what people think of his politics, remember that he and Art share the rarified air of being huge talk radio forces.  He also, fwiw, came up with one of my fave lines:  "Mistakes were made, but nobody made them."  I mean that's good. 

In any case, proceed people.  Let us not get complacent.  Keep the blitz goin' until Art Bell not only rules the night quality-wise, but numbers-wise as well!

Paradox

I just posted on Tsu.  I included the link to DMDN.  One thing I noticed was that the promotional trailers all have frames at the end about the show starting on July 20.  Any chance the talented SaucyRossy and jazmunda could rework those a bit and change the text by removing the coming info and leaving the show name, times and DMDN info? 

albrecht

Quote from: NXOEED on August 28, 2015, 01:42:33 AM
On it.
I don't have photoshop or know how to edit stuff (plus it is not my stuff and I don't wanna mess with someone else's art) but maybe you could modify your cool Art Bell poster to a more generic one with times, ways to listen (SW, TuneIn, etc), etc on it?

NXOEED

Quote from: albrecht on August 29, 2015, 04:54:45 PM
I don't have photoshop or know how to edit stuff (plus it is not my stuff and I don't wanna mess with someone else's art) but maybe you could modify your cool Art Bell poster to a more generic one with times, ways to listen (SW, TuneIn, etc), etc on it?

Thanks for calling it cool. I'm making new ones. I try to avoid editing software for these things. I usually just tear 'em right out of my sketchbook and stick 'em directly into the copy machine.

castromiller

I think one fan base that Art should look to reach is the millions of X-Files fans who are gearing up for the upcoming revival of the show.  Art interviewed Chris Carter and was even on the X-files sister show, Millennium.  There is certainly a synergy between Art and the X-files that could be mined.  I used to love watching X-files then listening to Art in the 90's....now they are both back!  It's a great time to be a paranormal nerd!   

NXOEED

Slightly modified. Squarish, a bit more Instagram/social media-friendly. Still printable.

zeebo

Quote from: jazmunda on April 17, 2016, 09:43:41 PM
Good times.

You sir, should let these sleeping dogs lie ... or else risk being labeled a troublemaker, a rabble-rouser, a disturber-of-the-peace!

MV/Liberace!

Are we still doing this?

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on April 18, 2016, 02:36:16 AM
Are we still doing this?

Only if you've got low self esteem and are into self harm.

Auslandia

Are we still using Arts name? MITD  perhaps featuring Art Bell!

chefist

Quote from: Auslandia on April 18, 2016, 09:41:04 AM
Are we still using Arts name? MITD  perhaps featuring Art Bell!

New Show Title:

"Art Bell's MITD with Heather Wade - Art Bell's Chosen Replacement for Art Bell"

cweb

Quote from: chefist on April 18, 2016, 09:47:09 AM
New Show Title:

"Art Bell's MITD with Heather Wade - Art Bell's Chosen Replacement for Art Bell"
Soooo is that like the Art Bell show?  :)

Also, how is Falkie related? I feel like the title needs more Falkie.

Quote from: cweb on April 18, 2016, 11:02:00 AM
Soooo is that like the Art Bell show?  :)

Also, how is Falkie related? I feel like the title needs more Falkie.
Not realy, more like an afternoon drive time show with alot  of music and alot of girl chatter.

Quote from: Jinger Rat Snapps on April 18, 2016, 06:19:20 PM
Not realy, more like an afternoon drive time show with alot  of music and alot of girl chatter.
I did not mean that a bunch of girls were chatting but just one girl chattering alot.

Quote from: Jinger Rat Snapps on April 18, 2016, 06:59:40 PM
I did not mean that a bunch of girls were chatting but just one girl chattering alot.
* a lot

WOTR

Quote from: chefist on April 18, 2016, 09:47:09 AM
New Show Title:

Better show title" "Amy on the radio." ;)

zeebo

How about a slight change of topic.

The Blintz

venix

Quote from: zeebo on April 26, 2016, 06:16:19 PM
How about a slight change of topic.

The Blintz

Chefist will complain that the cheese he supplied had curdled.

zeebo

Quote from: venix on April 26, 2016, 06:46:33 PM
Chefist will complain that the cheese he supplied had curdled.

Also someone still owes him for the damn blackberries.    ;D

Daggit

I want my money back for the 3 calls I made to local stations.

WOTR

Quote from: Daggit on April 26, 2016, 10:24:30 PM
I want my money back for the 3 calls I made to local stations.
"They"owe me more.  ;)

https://youtu.be/qkLd-pG2QI4

venix

Quote from: zeebo on April 26, 2016, 10:04:16 PM
Also someone still owes him for the damn blackberries.    ;D

Don't worry we'll hear all about the blackberries in the next 17 gab casts.

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on April 25, 2016, 10:43:09 PM
* a lot
Sorry English is my 3rd language but I appreciate the information.

pate