• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Morgus

Hoagie apparently doesn't seem to test his live system with a guest before air time.
So he only found he had problems in real time when he brought the guest on and there was an audio delay.
Also he has to manually adjust volume levels for each source and was having a problem with that too.

Nobody

Quote from: Scruffy on October 15, 2017, 08:35:39 AM
Winner Winner chicken dinner.

Falkov rambled for about 20 minutes barely audible and when Hoagie talked, the volume blared in comparison. The guest comes on for a minute and Hoagland tries to go to break.

Thank you for the reply...and for confirming my guess.  [tips hat]  Yes, if there's one thing I have learned by now, it's that Falkov is just as in love with the sound of her own voice as Hoagland is with his (which is saying something).  Unfortunately, her narcissism always makes the likelihood of a brief appearance by her on TOSOM very unlikely indeed.

With all due respect to the hordes of Robin Falkov fans reading this, I am unable to consider her being "barely audible" as anything less than a positive boon for the listening audience.  Completely inaudible would have been better, of course, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Turns into a total disaster where it doesn't cut away and Hoagie wants to talk to Keith

When you say "Keith," d'you mean that Hoagland dragooned Keith Rowland into helping him out with this mess?  ???

If so, you can colour me amazed.  I would have thought Rowland would have been only too glad to see the back of Hoagland when he finally left DMDN, and had vowed never to have anything to do with Hoagland ever again. 

Frankly, if Rowland is still associating with Hoagland at this late date, he deserves everything he gets.

and the guest is totally confused.

Ah, yes: the hapless guest. :(  I do feel sorry for her, at least.

After last weekend's debacle, Hoagland had five days to get his act together, but apparently didn't bother to get things sorted out until it was too late.  It's a damned shame that the guest had to pay the price for Hoagland's careless behaviour, but that's Hoagland all over, isn't it?

Best 5 minutes of chaos ever before he bails. 

I was tempted to ask if someone could post the audio of that magical five minutes for the sake of posterity, but quickly realised that Hoagland is going to want to bury this hideous abortion of a debut as quickly as possible, and isn't likely to post such a display of his frightful ineptitide to his show archives.

(I would love to be wrong about this, of course.)  :)

GravitySucks

I hope he meant Keith Laney. I can’t imagine Rowland helping Hoagie.

Nobody

Quote from: Dyna-X on October 15, 2017, 01:16:43 PM
I just hope if the show is on for tonight we do not get a repeat of Robin as opening guest. She has her own show to annoy people with.

Do I detect a slight undertone of disapproval?  :)

All joking aside, I can't even begin to imagine what Hoagland is thinking when he has Falkov on his show. Speaking for myself, I find that cheerless, grating, nails-on-a-chalkboard monotone voice of hers far better suited to silent films rather than radio. :(

Nobody

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 15, 2017, 05:46:51 PM
I hope he meant Keith Laney.

Ah, yes, that's probably it.  Of course, I try not to think of Laney's asthmatic wheezing and his Great Big Bag of Werther's Originals any more than I can help. :(

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 15, 2017, 05:46:51 PM
I can’t imagine Rowland helping Hoagie.

Neither can I.  If it emerges that was the case, after all, I could scarcely credit it.  :o

Scruffy

DUE TO CONTINUING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES

THE PROGRAM WITH BARBARA HONEGGER

ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY NIGHT TONIGHT,

SUN / MON OCT. 15-16

HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.   

Your engineer this evening will be Richard C. Hoagland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gGfmiZ52f4

trostol

Quote from: Scruffy on October 15, 2017, 08:17:05 PM

SUN / MON OCT. 15-16

ha ha ha ha ha

Dr. MD MD

Professionalism warrants an on site engineer, especially with Hoagie! He's clearly hopeless without one.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 15, 2017, 08:35:47 PM
Professionalism warrants an on site engineer, especially with Hoagie! He's clearly hopeless without one.

FIFY

Pablo Smash

Quote from: Nobody on October 15, 2017, 05:35:32 PM
Thank you for the reply...and for confirming my guess.  [tips hat]  Yes, if there's one thing I have learned by now, it's that Falkov is just as in love with the sound of her own voice as Hoagland is with his (which is saying something).  Unfortunately, her narcissism always makes the likelihood of a brief appearance by her on TOSOM very unlikely indeed.

With all due respect to the hordes of Robin Falkov fans reading this, I am unable to consider her being "barely audible" as anything less than a positive boon for the listening audience.  Completely inaudible would have been better, of course, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

When you say "Keith," d'you mean that Hoagland dragooned Keith Rowland into helping him out with this mess?  ???

If so, you can colour me amazed.  I would have thought Rowland would have been only too glad to see the back of Hoagland when he finally left DMDN, and had vowed never to have anything to do with Hoagland ever again. 

Frankly, if Rowland is still associating with Hoagland at this late date, he deserves everything he gets.

Ah, yes: the hapless guest. :(  I do feel sorry for her, at least.

After last weekend's debacle, Hoagland had five days to get his act together, but apparently didn't bother to get things sorted out until it was too late.  It's a damned shame that the guest had to pay the price for Hoagland's careless behaviour, but that's Hoagland all over, isn't it?

I was tempted to ask if someone could post the audio of that magical five minutes for the sake of posterity, but quickly realised that Hoagland is going to want to bury this hideous abortion of a debut as quickly as possible, and isn't likely to post such a display of his frightful ineptitide to his show archives.

(I would love to be wrong about this, of course.)  :)
here's a snippet of the clusterfuck

chefist

Quote from: Pablo Smash on October 15, 2017, 10:15:22 PM

OMG...lolz...thank you for this..."unmute skype"... ;D He needs Kieth for BTR? WTF? bwahahaha.  ;D ;D

Nobody

Quote from: Scruffy on October 15, 2017, 08:17:05 PM

SUN / MON OCT. 15-16

What, so even the fourth time wasn't the charm?  Hoagland succeeded in flushing his show down the loo for the second weekend running? 

The whole thing passes belief; I refuse to accept anyone could be that incompetent.  Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

Nobody

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 15, 2017, 08:35:47 PM

KCAA cost Hoagland $150 an hour; WBCQ was $50 an hour.  Let's see if we can guess how much Hoagland's BlogTalkRadio disaster venture is setting him back:

https://secure.blogtalkradio.com/register.aspx?type=host

The Small plan is, well, too small for his needs (offering only "2 hour Studio Sessions") and the Large plan sounds like overkill for what he's trying to do.  That leaves him with the Medium plan at $99 a month, which breaks down to just under $25 per weekend.  I may be misjudging the man badly, but Hoagland appears to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I agree with you entirely that Hoagland needs professional help at this point (though perhaps an on-site engineer isn't quite what springs to mind when it comes to the kind of professional help I think Hoagland needs).  However, my guess is that Hoagland is close to dead broke, because the only "broadcast plan" I'm aware of priced lower than $99 a month involves tin cans and string.

He seems to have pressed Keith Laney into service as his "temporary engineer" (Hoagland's words), probably because Laney is willing to work at the only price point Hoagland appears able to afford right now: free.  It will be interesting to see if Laney can get Hoagland off the ground before Laney loses all patience with the fellow and tells him to naff off. 

=Schlyder=

Hoagy needs to forget doing live broadcasts. Record vlogs or podcasts and upload them to the website, and Youtube.  He can't afford a can of beans, let alone pay for broadcasting live shows that he can't even produce. LOL     

expat

Why did he tell Barbara "same time tomorrow"? There's no show tonight...

PaulAtreides

Quote from: expat on October 16, 2017, 08:05:12 AM
Why did he tell Barbara "same time tomorrow"? There's no show tonight...

He told her that  because he believed he would have the problems fixed and there would be a show Sunday night. 

expat

Quote from: PaulAtreides on October 16, 2017, 10:59:58 AM
He told her that  because he believed he would have the problems fixed and there would be a show Sunday night.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the snippet was from last night. Got it now

http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2017/10/hoaglands-radio-show-goes-from-bad-to.html

PaulAtreides

Hey, Richard.  How about a refund for the four shows you've cancelled?  Seems only fair.

trostol

Quote from: PaulAtreides on October 17, 2017, 02:41:48 PM
Hey, Richard.  How about a refund for the four shows you've cancelled?  Seems only fair.

jokes..you gots them lol

Nobody

Quote from: Pablo Smash on October 15, 2017, 10:15:22 PM

Many thanks for posting that clip, Pablo Smash.  Had you merely posted a transcript of that audio atrocity, I would have thought you were taking the piss; it's the sort of thing one has to hear to believe.   :o

It's obvious Hoagland has descended into The Pit of Self-Parody.  I wonder if he will ever succeed in clawing his way out?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Nobody on October 19, 2017, 02:42:18 AM
Many thanks for posting that clip, Pablo Smash.  Had you merely posted a transcript of that audio atrocity, I would have thought you were taking the piss; it's the sort of thing one has to hear in order to believe.   :o

It's obvious Hoagland has descended into The Pit of Self-Parody.  I wonder if he will ever succeed in clawing his way out?

Noddy, you so crazy!  ;D

expat

"THIS Saturday. Oct. 28th, 2017 / 9 PM - 12 AM PST
= Sunday Oct 29th, 12 AM - 3 AM EST.. Christopher Knowles... etc. Las Vegas... Egypt"

Now he can't even get the fucking date right.

PaulAtreides

Quote from: expat on October 20, 2017, 07:35:37 AM
"THIS Saturday. Oct. 28th, 2017 / 9 PM - 12 AM PST
= Sunday Oct 29th, 12 AM - 3 AM EST.. Christopher Knowles... etc. Las Vegas... Egypt"

Now he can't even get the fucking date right.

Probably means there won't be shows this weekend.

expat

Quote from: PaulAtreides on October 20, 2017, 11:34:46 AM
Probably means there won't be shows this weekend.

No, he's corrected it now. But it's still billed as 3 hours...

Morgus

Any bets on if Hoagie will manage to get thru a whole show on Saturday night?
Or will technical issues defeat him again like last weekend...

PaulAtreides

Quote from: Morgus on October 20, 2017, 03:05:50 PM
Any bets on if Hoagie will manage to get thru a whole show on Saturday night?
Or will technical issues defeat him again like last weekend...

I understand that there's a contest to see who can predict when Hoagie will return for a full three hour show.  You can enter the contest here - one vote per person.

First prize = 1 month subscripton to Club 19.5.
Second prize = 2 month subscripton to Club 19.5.
Third prize = 3 month subscription to Club 19.5.