• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 26, 2014, 07:30:17 PM
And why quarantine medical workers returning from West Africa, but not quarantine workers caring for Ebola patients in the US?  What about the staff currently caring for the doctor at Bellevue in NYC? 
Ask Drs. Cuomo, Christy, and Quinn.  Sounds like they've consulted with Drs. O'Reilly and Limbagh. 

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 26, 2014, 08:42:23 PM
Ask Drs. Cuomo, Christy, and Quinn.  Sounds like they've consulted with Drs. O'Reilly and Limbagh.

Lol!!

Lt.Uhura

WOTR

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 26, 2014, 10:43:17 PM
[attachimg=1]
Suddenly I understand why we did not want gays openly serving in the military... Far better that they defend the closet... (See the frame referencing the closet for context.)

WOTR

Apparently Cuomo has now decided that people can quarantine themselves at home and be compensated for lost time.  At least something seems to make sense.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/nyregion/ebola-quarantine.html?action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

pate

I seem to recall something about Ebola (Zombola?)

The Cranberries - Zombie

being transmitted (among other means) by fruit bats:  their feces, perhaps saliva on things they'd gnawed upon, or something...  In any case, is this one about climate change or whichever is the current thing before the Scottish Freedom Referendum mid-term elections here in the 'states we are supposed to be worried about?

Oh yeah, Obola didn't close the borders, which is a wise precaution considering that the method of transmission is known to be restricted to sub-tropical areas and there is no climate change as the 'folks' on the other side would suggest... wait a tic...

has it been established if this is Ebola Zaire or some sort of common cold like strain that is pointless to consider?  Curious, but not too worried because Dear Leader recently appointed a Czar (which we all know to be a backhand laugh by the COMMIES! in gubmint about how gubmint {they} will ensure the Slavs are safe or something)

I provide no references other than the video link above.

That is all

bateman

Opposing a quarantine is idiotic.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: bateman on October 27, 2014, 05:15:16 PM
Self-monitoring at home under supervision for three weeks is one thing.  Holding a perfectly healthy person in a damn tent, with a porta-potti and no running water, is something entirely different.  Not to mention giving no notice of the draconian decree.  Christy exploited an opportunity to use Ebola and Hickox as a campaign prop  to impress the hysterical right base; no two ways about it.  The asshole even pontificated how he was too busy to be bothered personally speaking to Hickox.  When Cuomo saw Christy's callous actions, he changed course immediately; NY will now impose supervised 21-day home quarantine with pay for similar cases. 

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on October 27, 2014, 05:15:16 PM
Of course it is. Especially in these modern times when many can communicate, conduct business,  and be entertained at home. It isn't like we would be forced to stay in huts with no delivery systems, sanitation, communications like in some parts of Africa or like in our past days of quarantines, sanitariums etc like with tb, yellow fever, spanish flu, leprosy,  or typhoid. But "politcal correctness" and politics. One would think, if anyone would, it would be doctors or good Christian missionaries etc who go to help,  and seen, Ebola in Africa would be first to not want to risk and take a month off- just in case.

bateman

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 27, 2014, 07:29:30 PM
Self-monitoring at home under supervision for three weeks is one thing.  Holding a perfectly healthy person in a damn tent, with a porta-potti and no running water, is something entirely different.  Not to mention giving no notice of the draconian decree.  Christy exploited an opportunity to use Ebola and Hickox as a campaign prop  to impress the hysterical right base; no two ways about it.  The asshole even pontificated how he was too busy to be bothered personally speaking to Hickox.  When Cuomo saw Christy's callous actions, he changed course immediately; NY will now impose supervised 21-day home quarantine with pay for similar cases. 

The problem is, no one immediately knew if she was "perfectly healthy". Symptoms take weeks to present themselves. Should she have been treated better - absolutely, but the idea that we can't allow healthcare workers to be inconvenienced coming back from very high risk work overseas is ludicrous.

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on October 27, 2014, 07:43:17 PM
The problem is, no one immediately knew if she was "perfectly healthy". Symptoms take weeks to present themselves. Should she have been treated better - of course, but the idea that we can't allow healthcare workers to be inconvenienced coming back from very high risk work overseas is ludicrous.
It is also weird how her linkedin was scrubbed. Supposedly one can hardly trust alternative sites  or news blogs more than a legit newspaper site (sorry, meant corporatley owned government press release agency.) But:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/breaking-ebola-nurses-ties-to-cdc-scrubbed-from-website-is-far-left-progressive-obama-supporter/

bateman

Quote from: albrecht on October 27, 2014, 07:47:38 PM
It is also weird how her linkedin was scrubbed. Supposedly one can hardly trust alternative sites  or news blogs more than a legit newspaper site (sorry, meant corporatley owned government press release agency.) But:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/breaking-ebola-nurses-ties-to-cdc-scrubbed-from-website-is-far-left-progressive-obama-supporter/

Boom. Just found this too: http://cdczilla.com/cdc-employee/contact/kaci-hickox-702_759_1607

Quote from: bateman on October 27, 2014, 07:43:17 PM
The problem is, no one immediately knew if she was "perfectly healthy".

I heard a little bit about this case today on CBS radio.  The narrative went that she returned from overseas, and was checked out.  Her temperature was normal.  Then she was questioned for a time, and her temperature was taken again.  This time the reading was 101 degrees.  She claimed this was an erroneous reading, and her temperature later was found to be normal.  Nevertheless, she was quarantined, and it seemed that the conditions were "campground" at best.  I can understand why she wanted out of there.

My take, from my very small amount of attention to this case, was that she was given the third degree because nobody wanted to be holding the bag for a repeat of the first case fiasco.

bateman

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 27, 2014, 08:26:18 PM
I heard a little bit about this case today on CBS radio.  The narrative went that she returned from overseas, and was checked out.  Her temperature was normal.  Then she was questioned for a time, and her temperature was taken again.  This time the reading was 101 degrees.  She claimed this was an erroneous reading, and her temperature later was found to be normal.  Nevertheless, she was quarantined, and it seemed that the conditions were "campground" at best.  I can understand why she wanted out of there.

My take, from my very small amount of attention to this case, was that she was given the third degree because nobody wanted to be holding the bag for a repeat of the first case fiasco.

Which I can certainly understand. The army is now requiring quarantine "out of an abundance of caution", which I think is absolutely the right course of action.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-army-quarantine-troops-fighting-ebola/story?id=26486775

Quote"The Army Chief of Staff has directed a 21-day controlled monitoring period for all redeploying soldiers returning from Operation United Assistance," the statement said. "He has done this out of caution to ensure soldiers, family members and their surrounding communities are confident that we are taking all steps necessary to protect their health."

RcCle

Maybe the Surgeon General should be involved....  Oh wait..

Quote from: RcCle on October 27, 2014, 08:52:17 PM
Maybe the Surgeon General should be involved....  Oh wait..

Yeah, oh wait.  Asswipe nominated a gun grabber instead of someone to do the actual work of the Surgeon General's office

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 27, 2014, 09:22:56 PM
Yeah, oh wait.  Asswipe nominated a gun grabber instead of someone to do the actual work of the Surgeon General's office
The term dog whistle was invented for you.  Besides, Christy can't nominate a Surgeon General; only the President can.

bateman

Presented without comment:

QuotePresident Barack Obama delivers doughnuts and pastries to Democratic campaign volunteers on Monday in Chicago.

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2014/10/27/senate-dems-call-on-senate-dems-to-set-up-vote-on-obamas-surgeon-general-pick/

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on October 27, 2014, 09:50:41 PM
Presented without comment:

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2014/10/27/senate-dems-call-on-senate-dems-to-set-up-vote-on-obamas-surgeon-general-pick/
Surely, and I will call you Shirley, you aren't saying that her linkedin and google stuff could be almost instantly scratched at random? Or, maybe, those fine institutions with no links to our government could be just, simply, taking precautions not against Ebola (or Obama- weird how that rhymes) but the EU and the ability to "delete your online history"???? Interesting, to say the least. Hey, it aint just about surveillance!

VtaGeezer

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 27, 2014, 08:26:18 PM

When Hickox reached the hospital, the admitting doctor noted that her face was flush from all the excitement and anxiety; he took her temp orally and it was normal.  And stayed normal for the entire time she was there. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: pate on October 27, 2014, 02:13:16 AM
Curious, but not too worried because Dear Leader recently appointed a Czar (which we all know to be a backhand laugh by the COMMIES! in gubmint about how gubmint {they} will ensure the Slavs are safe or something)

That is all

Actually no. Tzar or Czar has been completely bastardised in recent years. Some think it's a Communist role; nope. The Tzar was routed in the revolution. Tzar is the monarch. Communists are anti monarchy.

Yorkshire pud

You're right. He should be the head honch at the NRA. That would look good as he fields e mails from medics up and down the USA asking him if he'd do a shift trying to repair gunshot wounds. Typical. Look not at his medical qualifications, but his position in firearm regulation.! Cos it's far more important.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 28, 2014, 02:08:14 AM
You're right. He should be the head honch at the NRA. That would look good as he fields e mails from medics up and down the USA asking him if he'd do a shift trying to repair gunshot wounds. Typical. Look not at his medical qualifications, but his position in firearm regulation.! Cos it's far more important.

Well, the Senate confirms or rejects appointees, and the Dems control the Senate.  They are the ones who have not scheduled a confirmation vote. 

Until Harry Reid arbitrarily changed the Senate rules on filibusters earlier this year - and breaking another Senate rule in the way he did so - a nominee would need 60 votes to end a possible filibuster and have their nomination brought to a vote.  As of now - thanks to Harry Reid's shenanigans - they only need 50 votes.  As of now the D's have 53 seats out of 100, plus 2 Independents that vote with them.

It's not the R's stopping confirmation, no how much people wish it to be so, no matter how often they say it, or how smugly they say it. 

The fact is, the American people don't want anti-gun extremists in government positions, period, and there are Democrat Senators from Blue and Purple states who aren't willing to lose their seats over it

Don't worry, after the election next week - but before the new Senators take their seats in January - the lame-duck Democrat Senate will shove all sorts of stuff through that the American people don't want.  Probably including this

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 28, 2014, 02:33:32 AM

The fact is, the American people don't want anti-gun extremists in government positions, period, and there are Democrat Senators from Blue and Purple states who aren't willing to lose their seats over it

I see, so anyone who wants stricter regulations on gun use and ownership is an extremist? I have never met (and I've met many) a Doctor or nurse who was an extremist in anything. I've met many who are passionate about doing the best for their patients and developing and improving techniques and practices to save more lives and improve quality of life; but no extremists.

Lt.Uhura

Clearly you know nothing about the "actual work" of the Surgeon General's office.  If you did you wouldn't credit President Obama as making gun violence a public health issue, but Republican Ronald Reagan, who in 1981 appointed another Republican, C. Everett Koop to Surgeon General.  It was Koop who did a great deal of "actual work" on violence as a public health emergency.

http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/NN/B/C/F/X/

Report: Surgeon General's Workshop on Violence and Public Health   

For most of you, I’m sure this will not be your only conference on violence this year. Some of you will have attended several before the year has ended.
But I hope the Leesburg Workshop will be different in one major respect: Our focus will be squarely on how the health professions might provide better care for victims of violence and also how they might contribute to the prevention of violence.
It is clear that the medicine, nursing, psychology, and social service professions have been slow in developing a response to violence that is integral to their daily professional life. As a result, we are not sure if the estimated 4 million victims of violence this year will receive the very best care possible.
Nor can we be sure that enough will be done to prevent violence from claiming 4 million or more victims again next year.

Excerpted from the opening presentation by
C. Everett Koop, MD
Surgeon General of the U.S. Public Health Service Sunday evening, October 27, 1985

The following excerpt is taken from the group tasked with--

ASSAULT AND HOMICIDE: PREVENTION

Members of this work group introduced their recommendations with the following statements:
. Our specific recommendations for the health and public sectors are preceded by general policy recommendations that go beyond the health sector.
. The focus on the health sector recognizes the vital contributions health professionals can make without implying that those contributions are any more or any less important than those made by other disciplines.
. We recognize that the Office of the Surgeon General cannot, by itself, carry out all these recommendations, but we nevertheless believe that these policy issues are fundamental to any statement on the prevention of homicide and assaultive behavior.

Therefore, in the area of Policy we recommend that . _ .
. . . there be a complete and universal federal ban on the manufacture, importation, sale, and possession of handguns (except for authorized police and military personnel) and that the manufacture, distribution, and sale of other lethal weapons, such as martial arts items, knives, and bayonets, be regulated.

Then, In 1992, Koop reiterated his position on violence as a public health issue with the following publication:

Violence in America: a public health emergency. Time to bite the bullet back.

Authors
Koop CE, Lundberg GB.
JAMA. 1992 Jun 10

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 28, 2014, 04:14:26 AM
Clearly you know nothing about the "actual work" of the Surgeon General's office.

Oh that's not fair. PB knows nothing about the actual work of almost all professions, he isn't singling out the Surgeon General. It doesn't stop him of course going into default "It's the liberal/commie/Marxist/Alinsky/Gun grabber/Maoist/ Obama" narrative for pretty much anything he doesn't agree with, but it's fair to say he's big on trotting out his Fox specials without much in the way of knowledge.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 28, 2014, 05:04:18 AM

Oh that's not fair. PB knows nothing about the actual work of almost all professions, he isn't singling out the Surgeon General. It doesn't stop him of course going into default "It's the liberal/commie/Marxist/Alinsky/Gun grabber/Maoist/ Obama" narrative for pretty much anything he doesn't agree with, but it's fair to say he's big on trotting out his Fox specials without much in the way of knowledge.

Well, again, it's the Dem controlled Senate who has not scheduled a vote.  They don't need a single R vote for confirmation.

Since you didn't like my explanation, maybe you could tell us why a vote hasn't been scheduled, and why the talking points are it's somehow the fault of the Rs that the office is vacant?

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 28, 2014, 04:14:26 AM
Clearly you know nothing about the "actual work" of the Surgeon General's office...

It's not to focus on gun control. 

We all know Obama and the Left would disarm us if they could.  We also know that while Obama shows nothing but distain for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, he does show caution when it comes to hot button issues - like gun control.  He'd like to do it by stealth, maybe take a few inches using someone like a Surgeon General. 

Regardless of the various recent High Court cases in favor of gun rights.

With elections looming, a gun grabbing Surgeon General is just one more thing they will wait to spring on the public AFTER the election.  It's why he isn't pressing Reid on confirming him now (or during the campaign season)

Don't think they want our guns but are afraid to move in that direction for now?  Here's Eric Holder this past week:

http://thehill.com/regulation/administration/221326-holder-lists-thwarted-gun-control-push-among-biggest-failures

PS, most Americans don't think disarming honest citizens will decrease gun violence.  We think just the opposite would happen.  And the stats, studies, and common sense are on our side

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 28, 2014, 03:20:29 AM
I see, so anyone who wants stricter regulations on gun use and ownership is an extremist? I have never met (and I've met many) a Doctor or nurse who was an extremist in anything...

How many of them were also political hacks?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 28, 2014, 05:22:32 AM

Well, again, it's the Dem controlled Senate who has not scheduled a vote.  They don't need a single R vote for confirmation.

Since you didn't like my explanation, maybe you could tell us why a vote hasn't been scheduled, and why the talking points are it's somehow the fault of the Rs that the office is vacant?

Can you point to where I said it was the fault of the Reps? I said you didn't have a clue what most people's professions entailed. One has nothing to do with the other.