• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 04:33:09 PM
Why do you presume it to be possible?

Is the Levittcal prohibition of shellfish still in force today?

Only in months without an “r.”

Metron2267

Satan's little helper that one is... >:(

Metron2267

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on July 01, 2018, 05:11:41 PM
Only in months without an “r.”

Red Lobster is gonna be pissed to find that out! :-[

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 04:39:55 PM
You still haven't addressed my response that the quote seems to be more about the worshipping of false idols than diet. ???
It does not seem worthwhile quibbling over what I would call a minor disagreement about a verse.  If it is integral to whether my soul or yours will be lost, we can fight over it.  If not, we can interpret a verse differently.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 05:25:31 PM
It does not seem worthwhile quibbling over what I would call a minor disagreement about a verse.  If it is integral to whether my soul or yours will be lost, we can fight over it.  If not, we can interpret a verse differently.

Well, that was the dividing line for monotheistic religions. No false idols. Only one God.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 05:25:31 PM

All one needs to start a new denomination is a bible and a resentment over a legalistic despute over scripture with one’s church brethren (or sistern).

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 05:30:10 PM
Well, that was the dividing line for monotheistic religions. No false idols. Only one God.
There are enough other verses in the bible speaking directly to that, and I'm pretty certain that you did not honestly take my not arguing over this specific verse as an endorsement of the worship of Ba'al?  I know you enjoy arguing... But on this one, I'm just not inclined to bother. 

Yup.  No idols, no gods before me, jealous God and all the rest of it.  I think we probably agree... And I can see my way clear to agree to disagree on this verse.  If you want to interpret this as one more verse cautioning against idol worship... Great.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 01, 2018, 05:06:17 PM
The golden plates are holograms.  Sadly, the magic underwear things are not.

Funny you should say that, Rix.  I recently heard a professor liken the peepstone Joseph used to translate to a sort of primitive iphone, or a tiny kindle, with a dim screen that required the use of his hat to block out the light.

The church has been very forthcoming lately with historical materials (a laudable response to the internet age) and a bunch of real scholars to interpret them -- legit Egyptologists, archaeologists, linguists, biblical scholars who are worthy defenders of their faith, and the level of debate is high.  I've had to mentally move Mormons from a benighted sect to one where reasonable people can disagree.

For a long time now I've harbored a secret parochial pride in, and affection for, America's home-grown faith and been sorry to see it kicked around by facile skeptics for its humble origins, so no one is more delighted than I at these developments.

Metron2267

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 05:30:10 PM

"If" we have multiple Creators we're really screwed... :-[

Metron2267

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 01, 2018, 05:42:21 PM
Funny you should say that, Rix.  I recently heard a professor liken the peepstone Joseph used to translate to a sort of primitive iphone, or a tiny kindle, with a dim screen that required the use of his hat to block out the light.

With all that outer space theology it comes as scant surprise to see them going all Amazon on us...MLM is MLM, even in Utah...

QuoteThe church has been very forthcoming lately with historical materials (a laudable response to the internet age) and a bunch of real scholars to interpret them -- legit Egyptologists, archaeologists, linguists, biblical scholars who are worthy defenders of their faith, and the level of debate is high.  I've had to mentally move Mormons from a benighted sect to one where reasonable people can disagree.

Fair enough, they certainly have some ET grade theism to peddle and that may be a revealing line to trace.

QuoteFor a long time now I've harbored a secret parochial pride in, and affection for, America's home-grown faith and been sorry to see it kicked around by facile skeptics for its humble origins, so no one is more delighted than I at these developments.

They do walk their talk is my observation.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 01, 2018, 05:42:21 PM

The church has been very forthcoming lately with historical materials (a laudable response to the internet age) and a bunch of real scholars to interpret them -- legit Egyptologists, archaeologists, linguists, biblical scholars who are worthy defenders of their faith, and the level of debate is high.  I've had to mentally move Mormons from a benighted sect to one where reasonable people can disagree.

For a long time now I've harbored a secret parochial pride in, and affection for, America's home-grown faith and been sorry to see it kicked around by facile skeptics for its humble origins, so no one is more delighted than I at these developments.

Alien?  Time traveler?  If it were a divine being why wouldn’t he just implant the required knowledge into Joseph’s brain.  Why would he need to hand him a device with the equivalent of a Google Translate app?  Interesting.

Metron2267

Cargo Cult stuff again...

Like losing the communicator on an away trip...

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on July 01, 2018, 06:07:33 PM
Alien?  Time traveler?  If it were a divine being why wouldn’t he just implant the required knowledge into Joseph’s brain.  Why would he need to hand him a device with the equivalent of a Google Translate app?  Interesting.

Google translate from Reformed Egyptian haha!  The argument is that without this tool Joseph himself couldn't be certain the thoughts were external -- creative writing frequently has that illusion of an external voice.  He was already used to looking into stones as a species of scrying popular back then (his amanuensis Cowdery was a dowser, fwiw) so God just used what was at hand.

The main problem is that to explain the antecedents to Joseph's theology you need references to some pretty arcane texts it's difficult to imagine circulating among rural populations in the US, and the kind of careful reading of certain interesting passages in the Bible we aren't used to in these days of pull-quotes.  I tend to think that, with the Bible as the only book in your house, you get your entertainment where you can and land on some of the same points that escaped the early editors and inspired the early Gnostics, but who knows?

Metron2267

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 01, 2018, 06:25:19 PM
Google translate from Reformed Egyptian haha!  The argument is that without this tool Joseph himself couldn't be certain the thoughts were external -- creative writing frequently has that illusion of an external voice.  He was already used to looking into stones as a species of scrying popular back then (his amanuensis Cowdery was a dowser, fwiw) so God just used what was at hand.

Like the Vikings' navigation stone?

QuoteThe main problem is that to explain the antecedents to Joseph's theology you need references to some pretty arcane texts it's difficult to imagine circulating among rural populations in the US, and the kind of careful reading of certain interesting passages in the Bible we aren't used to in these days of pull-quotes.  I tend to think that, with the Bible as the only book in your house, you get your entertainment where you can and land on some of the same points that escaped the early editors and inspired the early Gnostics, but who knows?

Consider, there was plenty of Albert Pike text available, so...not such a reach after all...

K_Dubb

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 06:35:18 PM

Well there you were actually looking for the invisible sun, if I understand right.  Scrying just uses any irregular, polished, or translucent surface to suggest impressions in the mind as an aid to creativity or inspiration, depending on your point of view.

Consider, there was plenty of Albert Pike text available, so...not such a reach after all...

Well he was a little later but, yeah, it's proof early America was a lot more intellectually interesting than I ever credited.  Either way, the marriage of weird gnostic theology to biblical-style history narrative was a work of rude genius -- clunky, but genius nonetheless -- and its effects are undeniable.

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 06:35:18 PM

“Such sunstones could have helped the Vikings in their navigation from Norway to America, as the magnetic compass had yet to be introduced in Europe,” Guy said. A crystal measuring 3cm on each side would have been large enough to work, he added.
https://www.zmescience.com/research/sunstone-viking-magical-compass-proved-by-science/

Dr. MD MD

Has Maxine Waters been arrested yet? ???

If so, please post the video. :D

Dr. MD MD

If you're a Levin and/or a Hannity fan they're having a lovefest on Fox right now. ;)

Dr. MD MD

New name suggestion for the Democratic Party: The Deep Contempt Party

Huh? HUH?! :D

Dr. MD MD

Because they have such deep contempt for the American people.  ::)

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 08:18:01 PM
Because they have such deep contempt for the American people.  ::)

I’m kind of partial to democraps.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 14 on July 01, 2018, 08:28:37 PM
An attorney would probably say it wouldn't hold up in court.
But, Trump's incitements might have:
https://www.elitedaily.com/p/the-video-of-maxine-waters-reading-a-list-of-times-trump-incited-violence-is-a-must-watch-9585426
Unit 14

Baah! It's that horribly fat lesbian who keeps trying to attack me! :o

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 08:30:31 PM
Baah! It's that horribly fat lesbian who keeps trying to attack me! :o
I guess make up s** is out of the question then  ::).
Anonymous

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 14 on July 01, 2018, 08:36:24 PM
I guess make up s** is out of the question then  ::).
Anonymous

Did you break up with Eagle? Is that why you've been such a douchbag lately?

Jojo

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 02:37:06 PM
Lol is a reaction, not an answer. ???
And you, you, why you -- I don't answer to you.  I react to you.
Anonymous

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 08:38:48 PM
Did you break up with Eagle? Is that why you've been such a douchbag lately?
I don't know anyone who goes by "Eagle".  I like crows, not Eagles.  I'm not in a position to break up with anyone right now - even bad help is good help this week.
Unit 14

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 14 on July 01, 2018, 08:40:03 PM
I don't know anyone who goes by "Eagle".  I like crows, not Eagles.
Unit 14

Sure. Cut the shit, Lasha. ::)