• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 03:48:45 AM
I thought she was great as well, people are strange, let a bit of time pass. I think they just hate change

Art

Totally agree. Either way, can't wait for tomorrow night! Hope the nerves have subsided a bit.

Heather Wade

Quote from: jazmunda on July 20, 2015, 03:49:18 AM
Art Bell is back?! Why didn't anybody tell me? Is he on KNYE?

I think they've thought about it.

I thought she was great as well, people are strange, let a bit of time pass. I think they just hate change

Art
Follow what your gut says when it comes to a co-host. Let the fan base deal with it.

Was great to hear you back on tonight, and neat to hear how excited you were when you got a call from a far away place!

Rockaria

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 02:13:13 AM
Ok, we learned a lot tonight, people do not want me to have a co-host, not Redacted's fault at all just people who don't like change. She really sounded awesome.

We also learned that massive Thunderstorms screw with Internet over the 9000 foot Mountain it comes over, sad thing is it might happen again tonight. Looking at options that might include a t1. Otherwise it was a blast. We will work out the kinks.

It was a test show.

Art

Art,

The sound quality (when the connection worked) was superb. And yes, that can be easily sorted. 

And as for a "co-host" -- Art! Why do you, of all people, think you need one!? The wondrous quality of "Art Bell" is that Theatre of the Mind experience you so often talked about. Scenario: You're alone, behind the mic, in a dark studio; a guest on the line, a listener holding on the other. We're "out here, listening to you." The mood is set, no matter the topic. YOU are driving the show; no need for extraneous commentary or someone to banter with. No need at all.

It's truly not about "not liking change" -- it's about messing around with the magic of Art Bell. YOU make the show. The medium truly is the message when it comes to Art Bell,  LIVE, in the middle of the night.

And not having YOU "read" the news of the day is disappointing as well. The newscaster thing disrupts the flow. Sure, it's not what we're used to, and maybe you think you need to switch it up for a new generation of listeners, but you don't. You didn't get picked up by hundreds and hundreds of stations by switching it up. They wanted pure Art Bell. And that's what we want now. And for the newbies, show them how it's done. It's time to get back to basics.  The non-formula works!

When Asia takes over your seat in a few years, she can switch it up, but I'll bet she'll follow in Dad's footsteps all the way to the top of the ratings.

jazmunda

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on July 20, 2015, 02:39:36 AM
I think Redacted is great for open lines. Only thing I felt was off was the pacing, you'd stop and defer to her for comment rather than her piping up for herself. She needs some practice and maybe to be a little less self conscious.

You have to understand that it's extremely hard to read cues from your co-host when your physically not in the same room and can't see each other. It takes some time to work out your rhythm with another person. Add to that the fact that redacted was talking with Art Bell live on the air for the first time and you can imagine that she was nervous and not wanting to step on his toes or talk out of turn. As time passes she will be more comfortable and won't have to wait until Art asks for her opinion or input.

Give her a chance. I thought she was great and the chemistry (which was great anyway) can only improve.

WOTR

Quote from: jazmunda on July 20, 2015, 03:49:18 AM
Art Bell is back?! Why didn't anybody tell me? Is he on KNYE?
Who is Art?

jazmunda

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 20, 2015, 03:55:23 AM
What an honor beyond measure to be on the air with you, Art.  I do not want to be the source of problems... if removing me from the equation calms the waters, then so be it.  It's cool. This is a night I will never forget. Aside from internet connection problems, that was the most fun I have ever had.  Thank you for being so generous as to let me take a ride with you.

I so wish I had timed my call to speak with you too. I've spoken to Art enough already. :P

Zenman

Art

Ding Ding

Rockaria

Art

How was she "great"? This is all very puzzling, Art.  Bizarre, in a way. Whassup?

gdwarner

Maybe next time Art should try Google Talk for (Redacted). That way, when calls come in over Skype, she won't be lost when Art hangs up on the caller at the end of the call.

Art, here's some music for Graham Hancock's appearance:

http://www.cheapandsleazy.net/filez/eastern_shore.mp3

If I recall correctly, the author described this song as "Trip-hop pseudo-middle eastern."

zeebo

tularosa

Please, where can I hear the test show?  I was not able to listen live.
thanks

Art Bell

Don't worry, we will let a bit of time pass and try again, I think people thought you were going to be there every night, I should have explained it was for mainly open lines interaction, we will try again, as I said people hate change. You were just great and given time you would relax and be super.

Art

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 04:15:54 AM
Don't worry, we will let a bit of time pass and try again, I think people thought you were going to be there every night, I should have explained it was for mainly open lines interaction, we will try again, as I said people hate change. You were just great and given time you would relax and be super.

Art

See you have your time schedule straightened out now. Hope Keith post the show for Time travelers to download.

Maybe try bringing her in for hew own segment or something. Maybe she can do a story on something that interest her.

Sabu2K

Art

i freely admit i hate change. i'm stubborn too

It would be cool if Red had a segment like LMH used to have on Dreamland where you and her could banter about whatever like fan mail or alternative news. Having a person from an internet forum co-host with you on open lines while trying to deal with Skype and phone delays is weird. No knock on Red but I don't think people who aren't on BellGab get it or get why she's there.

I've read most of the Facebook, Reddit and other Art Bell web communities. That is the impression I get.

Personally, I like Red very much but I wasn't a fan of it. But I would probably get used to it over a few weeks. With all due respect.

Rockaria

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 20, 2015, 03:55:23 AM
What an honor beyond measure to be on the air with you, Art.  I do not want to be the source of problems... if removing me from the equation calms the waters, then so be it.  It's cool. This is a night I will never forget. Aside from internet connection problems, that was the most fun I have ever had.  Thank you for being so generous as to let me take a ride with you.

Really odd, this.....

Quote from: jazmunda on July 20, 2015, 03:57:54 AM
You have to understand that it's extremely hard to read cues from your co-host when your physically not in the same room and can't see each other. It takes some time to work out your rhythm with another person. Add to that the fact that redacted was talking with Art Bell live on the air for the first time and you can imagine that she was nervous and not wanting to step on his toes or talk out of turn. As time passes she will be more comfortable and won't have to wait until Art asks for her opinion or input.

Give her a chance. I thought she was great and the chemistry (which was great anyway) can only improve.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Wasn't trying to sound negative at all.

Morgus

Art, is it confirmed that the local weather was the source of the internet issues near the end of the test show last night?
If so, you were actually lucky that issue happened on your test night otherwise you might not have known about until months into the regular broadcasts - better to catch it right away and deal with solutions.
Also it was great that Keith got the server issue fixed a half-hour before the start of the test show last night - I and others had experienced the intermittent startup/connection issue of the DM stream for the last couple days.  DM Stream connection startup has been quick and solid since that fix about 7 hours ago now.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 04:15:54 AM

Art

When you hit the air tomorrow with Crystal Gayle and Graham Hancock, the crowds will roar.  Listeners might want to know something about me, I will think carefully on what I am willing to reveal.  I cannot blame anyone for wanting to hear more of you doing your magic.

Yes, maybe listeners thought I'd be with you every night, and were spooked by that.  If they realized it's just an occasional Open Lines possibility, maybe we'd all relax.

As I said, it is such a joy knowing your non-compete is over and we can look forward to tuning in tomorrow night for another ride into the unknown.

What a treat to be on the air tonight... we were on shortwave, Art! 

Jackstar

It seems clear that all detractors must be separated into two camps--there's a group that believes that Art should not have a co-host at all, and there's a group that believes that (Redacted) should not co-host with Art. It is important for due process to know what we are dealing with here.

In the meantime--mmmmm, camps.

Morgus

Art, we were impressed you got so many international callers during the test show.
Since they were unable (legally) to listen to the Sirius shows, they were probably even more anxious than those in North America to participate right away on your new truly worldwide show!

gdwarner

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 20, 2015, 04:21:54 AM
It would be cool if Red had a segment like LMH used to have on Dreamland where you and her could banter about whatever like fan mail or alternative news. Having a person from an internet forum co-host with you on open lines is weird. No knock on Red but I don't think people who aren't on BellGab get it or get why she's there.

I've read most of the Facebook, Reddit and other Art Bell web communities. That is the impression I get.

A few minutes ago, I posted in one of the new Art Bell Facebook groups about some of the things (Redacted) has been doing over the past few weeks, and provided a link to the interview she did with Art, the John Bachelor interview, as well as a link to that billboard.

Hopefully, that will do some good ...

nbirnes

Quote from: Sabu2K on July 20, 2015, 04:19:40 AM
i freely admit i hate change. i'm stubborn too

Sabu, if you've come this far with Art, don't you think a little trust in his taste and judgement would be a good idea? Don't you think he's sort of an expert on the radio art form and is shaping a show that is going to make history?

I can see the beginnings of a beautiful friendship between Art and his fans again, and friendships require patience. Not to mention, Redacted was even better than the night before, and we already thought we knew her style.

She probably has at least 10 more weapons of radio fu that she didn't even pull out last night. Patience, young grasshopper.

Morgus

As an alternative to an open lines co-host, perhaps Art could have (Redacted) as a special guest for an hour or so once in awhile since they have such great chemistry on the air together as demonstrated in her special interview with Art a few days ago. 
They could discuss topics of interest and fun stuff together during a special segment, like a  "conversation with Art and Redacted"?

Thats my suggestion anyway.  I'd like (Redacted) to appear with Art once in awhile.

Daggit

Quote from: Rockaria on July 20, 2015, 04:22:48 AM
Really odd, this.....

You know what I find odd is how you can make a comment like this:

http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,8147.msg431985.html#msg431985

And then expect to talk to Art and question his decisions.

Go back to whence you came from Davebot.

Quote from: Morgus on July 20, 2015, 04:32:36 AM
As an alternative to an open lines co-host, perhaps Art could have (Redacted) as a special guest for an hour or so once in awhile since they have such great chemistry on the air together as demonstrated in her special interview with Art a few days ago. 
They could discuss topics of interest and fun stuff together during a special segment, kinda a "conversation with Art and Redacted"?
Thats my suggestion anyway.  I'd like (Redacted) to appear with Art once in a while.

That's what I was thinking. Have her on for a hour on Fridays or whatever schedule works to be the conduit between the Art Bell Universe and MITD. I don't think anyone could complain about that... well of course they will but I think that would be a good solution. Red gets her air time, Art can still work her into the show and there's a new interactive segment that produces growth of the Bell Universe.

It would be super cool if we got updates on what past guests are doing or making news. Kind of like what Stern Network News is where they just do all the stories of the characters from the Stern Universe. For instance it would be interesting to get updates on people like Mad Man, John Lear, etc.

Also would be a big boost for potential MITD guests as they could get plugs in occasionally on the Bell Universe News and not just on their guest spots on the show. Basically I'm into any idea or advantage that screws Dave and this could be an advantage of going on your show over his show. I think this would be a neat idea where everyone wins. 

Quote from: Morgus on July 20, 2015, 04:32:36 AM
They can discuss topics of interest and fun stuff together during a special segment.
Thats my suggestion anyway.  I'd like (Redacted) to appear with Art once in a while.

Yeah, that is sort of like what I was thinking. People wouldn't freak out then. If a guest is only able to do 2 hours or the guest is dropped or something. It's odd having a co-host for open lines, I can't see anyone succeeding in that role. I think she would be better in a special segment. I am not worried Art will figure it out.

zeebo

Quote from: Morgus on July 20, 2015, 04:27:18 AM
Art, we were impressed you got so many international callers during the test show.
Since they were unable (legally) to listen to the Sirius shows, they were probably even more anxious than those in North America to participate right away on your new truly worldwide show!

Yes, it was great to hear people from all over, so thrilled at Art's return.  Can't wait to hear more calls from around the world.

Jackstar

I only want to listen to (Redacted) talk to strangers. Her and Art alone is too intimate.

... what, just me? No way.