• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell vs Lisa Lyons "C2C Jumped the Shark when..."

Started by El Kragen, October 15, 2011, 07:13:45 PM

El Kragen

I was doing some Google searching and stumbled across a thread on a different board from July 2005. I'd never heard this story before and though it was funny. Even back then people could see the obvious shit turn C2C was taking.

When (or with what guest) did C2C "jump the shark" in your opinion? Or has C2C "jumped the shark" yet?

IMO, C2C jumped the shark either with the UFO behind Hale-Bopp shows ... or ... later when that one guest appeared on the show and Art found out during the course of the interview that he was literally and officially mentally ill and just about blew his top on the air. Can't remember that guest's name, but doubtless many here remember that show. Still.... Gotta love C2C for giving us entertainment in those late hours of the night and wee hours of the morning.

Personally i liked the Hale-Bopp shows. The mentally ill guy?? Which one would that be??? There's been so many.

Remember what Art used to say. "Its an entertainment show, folks". Without Art its lost the "entertainment" factor. I won't go so far as to say i hate C2C, i just find it rather boring. I don't see it getting any better with the way its going. Just seems to be re-hashing the same old material over and over. The people who run the show now do not have any imagination or will to stick their necks out and try new and wierd things. They have turned C2C into some kind of formula paranormal radio, and its not "doing" it. At least not for me.

I can't remember the guy's name or even what the show was about, but Art did learn during the course of the interview that this guy had in fact been in a psych ward and he did admit to having psychological problems, etc. This had to be someone Lisa Lyon scheduled and you could tell Art was about to blow a gasket over the air. He cut the interview short and I believe he went to open lines. I'll have to do some back tracking. This was around the same time I went off on the string of Christian-UFO-Alien-Rapture nuts they scheduled one after the other (or so it seemed). It's like C2C was going quasi-Tel-Evangelist or something only wth a New Age spin. Let me do some research. Maybe I'll dig this guy's name up.

FOUND IT! The guest was Zeph Daniels 10 October 2004:

SetiCruncher: "Is Zeph for real, or is he just putting his own spin on John Lear's material. This guy sounds like he was deeply influenced by John. Either John was right or this guy is trying to make money off putting his own twist on John's theories."

BadBoy wrote: "Sounded to me in the last hour or so Art was getting a little miffed at this guest. At signoff, Art mentioned Lisa Lyon who he said booked his guests and jokingly gave out her 'home phone number' (it was a phony 555-prefix number) - I took that as a dig at her for booking Zeph Daniel for Art instead of George."

Racehorse then quotes Art:

< Listen, It's been (long pause) interesting having you here tonight. I want to Thank You. Goodnight, Zeph. All right folks, that's it for this weekend. That is all the time we've got. I want to thank the Premiere Radio Networks, I want to thank George, I want to thank Lisa Lyon. That is (spelling) L i s a L y o n who books my guests, She is the one who does that. Her home phone number is 555- > (fade to "Midnight in the Desert") - Art Bell "Coast to Coast AM" - October 10, 2004.

haha he also did the same thing to Dallas, the kid who was going to fly into the center of the earth.... that was Art's lowest moment for me. He cut the kid off, and made overtones that he was gonna have Lisa's ass!

It kinda seems to me that Coast began its trip up the shark-jump ramp just about the same time that I began hearing Lisa Lyon's name mentioned at the ends of programs... co-winky-dink? I think not!

I blame the production staff (PremRat stooges...) that took over when the Medford, Oregon home office was closed.

Coast not only jumped it passed Fonzie along the way. Coast has become a very slick, formulated production. I prefered it when it came across as some guy doing the show in his spare room.

Eddie Coyle

Well that fits my timeline for when I really started to view Noory as a colossal error. Before the Summer/Fall 2004, I viewed him as a Phil Bengston/Sammy Hagar/Jay Leno...an inferior replacement to a legend, not their fault necessarily, they were following greats.

But..then I began to see Noory as a Nero. A destroyer...

George Noory is to Coast to Coast what he says Plant X is to earth.

morphiaflow

I am listening to the tail end of the show now, I'll go back and listen to the whole thing. (Thanks to Malacoid's in-progress-but-almost-complete 2004 torrent at http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6747159)

The description is dead on....though Art sounds more amused and maybe a little exasperated than anything...but you can download it at that link and hear for yourself....

just wow.

It's hard to pin-point a moment or show where C2C jumped the shark.  I'm not positive about the Hale-Bopp issue, because the show was still pretty awesome even after that whole incident happened.  But when he left after the issues with his son, both in '98 and more specifically 2000, it started slipping slowly.  The first time when Hilly Rose took over, it was actually sort of cool again when Art came back, but after the Mike Siegal episode Art's return was less spectacular.  You could almost feel(hear) the toll the events had taken on him.  A combination of events and a loss of creative control to PremRad seemed to steer the show towards it's present course.  Generally, every time another host took the helm (except Hilly Rose - the feel might have been somewhat different but it was still Coast2Coast-y), the show took a slightly different direction.  The more time he spent away, the more it went off course.

El Kragen

Quote from: morphiaflow on October 17, 2011, 01:55:25 AM
I am listening to the tail end of the show now, I'll go back and listen to the whole thing. (Thanks to Malacoid's in-progress-but-almost-complete 2004 torrent at http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6747159)

The description is dead on....though Art sounds more amused and maybe a little exasperated than anything...but you can download it at that link and hear for yourself....

just wow.

Cool, thanks for this. I need to fill in my 2004 folder and maybe I can add a few to the effort.

YNOT

Lisa Lyon and George Noory  are Butt Pirates on the PremRad (Prem Rats) ship of fools.  This is a good example of proof that Art was becoming more fed-up.

morphiaflow

Quote from: El Kragen on October 17, 2011, 06:52:50 AM
Cool, thanks for this. I need to fill in my 2004 folder and maybe I can add a few to the effort.

El, if you could, I know Mal would be very grateful, as would I. And anything you have pre 2004 would be great as well!

Fractal

morphiaflow, why don't you google "funklbaldy51 radio" and when you are on the homepage, look at the left margin and you'll see "FB Radio Archives".  Click on that and you'll find all kinds of old stuff, including "Deep Archives" which go back to some of the shows in 1993.  There's some Dreamland there and Ghost to Ghost, too.

morphiaflow

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out and send Malacoid there as well. I have a lot of stuff going back to 1992, but that's about as far back as anyone seems to have, and most of the shows from 92-2003ish are all the same ones that have been floating around the torrent sites for a while, each one just a different grouping. That said, I'll see what's there and thanks again!

Fractal

You're welcome, morphiaflow.  It certainly won't hurt to give it a look and see if there's anything there that you're missing if you're trying to compile as many of the old shows as possible.

VtaGeezer

I began listening to Art Bell during the Hale-Bopp business and remember a woman calling in one night reporting that she and her husband had sold their house and possessions because of the warnings from Bell's guests, and were frantic to find a safe haven from the coming Apocalypse. I remember being angry that Bell allowed it to go so far.   Was Hale-Bopp also Hoagland's intro to the show?

b_dubb

i came to the show much later.  i know Coast likes to use the doom and gloom to help sell gold and emergency food rations.  but at some point someone has to hold them accountable for spreading disinformation

fysisist

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 21, 2011, 11:07:19 AM
I began listening to Art Bell during the Hale-Bopp business and remember a woman calling in one night reporting that she and her husband had sold their house and possessions because of the warnings from Bell's guests, and were frantic to find a safe haven from the coming Apocalypse. I remember being angry that Bell allowed it to go so far.   Was Hale-Bopp also Hoagland's intro to the show?

No, Hoagland began telling his wildly speculative and unsubstantiated stories on the air earlier than that.  He goes back to the face on Mars, or maybe even earlier. 

Morgus

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 21, 2011, 11:07:19 AMWas Hale-Bopp also Hoagland's intro to the show?
heck no. hoagland had been on for at least 5 years before that since the early 90s.

Art and Whitley Streiber were both involved in the Hale-Bopp fiasco, and in my opinion it is a black mark on Art's career. It was a big hoax that a lot of people took very seriously. In the case of the Heaven's Gate cult, deadly.

I think I remember Art mentioning that he was sorry for presenting that material, or acknowledging it in some way, but even if it is "just an entertainment show", Art had to know that a lot of his audience would take it at face value.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 22, 2011, 11:41:03 PM
Art and Whitley Streiber were both involved in the Hale-Bopp fiasco, and in my opinion it is a black mark on Art's career. It was a big hoax that a lot of people took very seriously. In the case of the Heaven's Gate cult, deadly.

I think I remember Art mentioning that he was sorry for presenting that material, or acknowledging it in some way, but even if it is "just an entertainment show", Art had to know that a lot of his audience would take it at face value.
I agree with you...and not surprisingly, Spring 1997 is when Art first received mainstream media recognition, almost entirely upon Hale-Bopp/and Applewhite's doomed sect.

YNOT

Here is the a quote from Art's wiki entry

Beginning in late 1996, Bell was criticized for reporting rumors that Hale-Bopp comet was being trailed by a UFO. It was speculated that members of the Heaven's Gate group committed mass suicide based on rumors Bell aired, but others dismissed the idea, noting that the Heaven's Gate website stated: "Whether Hale-Bopp has a "companion" or not is irrelevant from our perspective."[7] Susan Wright notes, however, that Bell was also "one of the first to publicize expert opinions refuting the 'alien companion'" said to have been shadowing Hale-Bopp.[8]

I agree that Art was complicit in propagating the UFO rumors which was stupid on his part, but I don't believe Art had any complicity in the deaths of the Heaven's Gate cult.  Compared to most of the doomsday crap spouted by talk show hosts like Alex Jones, Glen Beck,  etc., The UFO rumor is pretty mild. Heaven's Gate would have off'ed themselves somehow...

Here is another wiki excerpt about the incident from the Comet Hale-Bopp entry

UFO claims

In November 1996 amateur astronomer Chuck Shramek of Houston, Texas took a CCD image of the comet, which showed a fuzzy, slightly elongated object nearby. When his computer sky-viewing program did not identify the star, Shramek called the Art Bell radio program Coast to Coast AM to announce that he had discovered a "Saturn-like object" following Haleâ€"Bopp. UFO enthusiasts, such as remote viewing proponent Courtney Brown, soon concluded that there was an alien spacecraft following the comet.[50] Several astronomers, including Alan Hale,[51] claimed the object was simply an 8.5-magnitude star, SAO141894, which did not appear on Shramek's computer program because the user preferences were set incorrectly.[52] Later, Art Bell even claimed to have obtained an image of the object from an anonymous astrophysicist who was about to confirm its discovery. However, astronomers Olivier Hainaut and David J. Tholen of the University of Hawaii stated that the alleged photo was an altered copy of one of their own comet images.[53]

A few months later, in March 1997, the cult Heaven's Gate committed mass suicide with the intention of teleporting to a spaceship they believed was following the comet.[54]

Nancy Lieder, a self-proclaimed contactee who claims to receive messages from aliens through an implant in her brain, stated that Haleâ€"Bopp was a fiction designed to distract the population from the coming arrival of "Nibiru" or "Planet X", a giant planet whose close passage would disrupt the Earth's rotation, causing global cataclysm.[55] Although Lieder's original date for the apocalypse, May 2003, has now passed, the imminent arrival of Nibiru is still predicted by various conspiracy websites, most of whom tie it to the 2012 phenomenon.[56]

Quote from: YNOT on October 24, 2011, 02:23:56 PM
... Nancy Lieder, a self-proclaimed contactee who claims to receive messages from aliens through an implant in her brain, stated that Haleâ€"Bopp was a fiction designed to distract the population from the coming arrival of "Nibiru" or "Planet X", a giant planet whose close passage would disrupt the Earth's rotation, causing global cataclysm.[55] Although Lieder's original date for the apocalypse, May 2003, has now passed, the imminent arrival of Nibiru is still predicted by various conspiracy websites, most of whom tie it to the 2012 phenomenon.[56]

And this just in - George Noory is still a moron..

The show lost it's charm after 9/11 in my opinion. Before 9/11 it was a pretty interesting show with a cool mix of sciency people and kooks. After 9/11 the tone of the show changed, virtually every guest was predicting doom, and Art went off on his climate change end of the world nonsense.

Kylearan

I don't think the show ever jumped the shark while Art was there. I do find one interesting show where this guy who claimed to be some sort of mercenary was on. And he went on and on about how he went into bad neighborhoods to hone his skills. He claimed that gang members ran when he beat up just a few with his combat skills. The guy then claims that he was an expert sniper that was trained to take out targets from over 1000 yards out. But when some people called in and asked him some simple questions about the sniper craft, this "mercenary" was fumbling over his words and seemed to be full of it. I'm gonna see if I can find that interview as I have it somewhere.

Kylearan

Morgus

Quote from: Kylearan on November 15, 2011, 04:07:35 PM
I don't think the show ever jumped the shark while Art was there.
yes it did when Art kept having back problems back in 2002 and the guest hosts had to fill in most nights, before he finally retired from full time for good.
thats when Noory got selected to be one of those early guest hosts - the beginning of the end...  :(

Quote from: Kylearan on November 15, 2011, 04:07:35 PM
I don't think the show ever jumped the shark while Art was there. I do find one interesting show where this guy who claimed to be some sort of mercenary was on. And he went on and on about how he went into bad neighborhoods to hone his skills. He claimed that gang members ran when he beat up just a few with his combat skills. The guy then claims that he was an expert sniper that was trained to take out targets from over 1000 yards out. But when some people called in and asked him some simple questions about the sniper craft, this "mercenary" was fumbling over his words and seemed to be full of it. I'm gonna see if I can find that interview as I have it somewhere.

Kylearan

Was it Robert Young Pelton, author of "The World's Most Dangerous Places"?  He has been on with Art, Ian and George Noory.

El Kragen

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 15, 2011, 05:43:41 PM

Was it Robert Young Pelton, author of "The World's Most Dangerous Places"?  He has been on with Art, Ian and George Noory.

I doubt it. RYP is more of a reporter type guy