• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

littlechris

Quote from: Spinner on November 05, 2013, 04:44:02 PM
I just want Art's show back on the air.  :'(

I agree, Artie, if you are reading this, please be patient and work with Sirius so that they can fix the problem!!!!! We want you back!!

HumanBeing

Quote from: Luna on November 05, 2013, 07:28:28 PM
Send SiriusXM a written letter. Email to all of their email addresses saying what a benefit he is. Call them. Sign my petition. :)

oh my haha.. I'll ask my friend to sign it.. but I think we may need more persuasion ;) hehe

jblank

Quote from: littlechris on November 05, 2013, 07:30:16 PM
I agree, Artie, if you are reading this, please be patient and work with Sirius so that they can fix the problem!!!!! We want you back!!

Artie?

BillW50

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 05, 2013, 07:22:44 PM
Don't change your opinion just because I'm here.
I totally understand about feeling bummed out,
ticked off,  lost even...

-Paul

Really? Art made is sound like things are different this time. No Coast, new wife, and all of the evils from the past are gone. This is a brand new start. He sold us subs to Sirius, we bought satelite radios, and now Art says the same as he always says. See ya suckers, I'm out of here.

maren

Quote from: Goodpumba on November 05, 2013, 03:07:02 PM
when i called in to cancel Sirius gave me 2 free months and said to stick around and see if thing get sorted out  8)

They offered me two free months, too, but didn't say "to see if things get sorted out".  If they'd hinted at that, I might have agreed, but they didn't so I declined.

bateman

Is that Paul I hear on the Gab Cast now?

toastycoasty

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 05, 2013, 07:24:08 PM
Hello?

I'm here.....

I just can't read, post and answer the flipping phone all at once like I used to.

Thanks for hanging around and posting, Paul!

I thought about this and I think that words can't encapsulate the disappointment so many of us feel. It's almost like (and this is an overstated analogy, but still is one) someone you love (or like a lot) skipping out on you. You're there, trying to hold things together or make sense of it, and you can't do very much but see your feelings turn to anger.

Especially when it feels very unnecessary. Blaming tech problems for dropping the WHOLE show seems cowardly. People like Stern and Opie & Anthony and whoever keep going despite this.

As for callers, it takes time to build a base that aren't the same 5 people. it seemed like people were hearing the show and sticking with it (see: ghost photo winner). And if you've ever listened to the old shows, sometimes the same people do crop up. It doesn't have to be Open Lines based either - the thrust of the show that is interesting is the guest talking to Art.

And it was only SIX WEEKS. every new venture has teething problems - see it f*cking through!

I am personally, really disappointed in this. I feel like Art's ultimatum to Sirius was a bit ridiculous and there should have been room for compromise. If he thought to himself 'fuck it!' and I'm sure that he did, even somewhere deep inside, to press ahead like this - it's disingenuous and unfair to pin the blame on external factors when his heart just isn't it. He is a serial flake and it was dangerous to trust him - but come on, we all love him and he has squandered some serious goodwill in the radio industry through this move.

We all still have the old shows to go on, but I especially loved having Art back to talk about current issues with new guests. Even if some were stuck in an 80s time warp, a sharp new show beat hours of Somewhere in Time anyday.

But what can any of us say to make things better? I feel like Art's mind is made up and it's a bitter, real let-down for the fans who have followed him for so long, and in some cases, thrown some money at Sirius to demonstrate that, as well as loyalty.

Thanks for your work on the show, Paul.

Falkie2013

Quote from: BillW50 on November 05, 2013, 06:41:03 PM
Look, if this was the first time that Art had a complaint, fine. But it isn't, Art has done this his whole life! Okay Art has done this zillions of times throughout his life. But now he is older, hopefully wiser, married a girl (who was barely able to drink legally) like 3 months after his soul mate died, etc. Ok, well here we go with a new start.

So Art, the great talker that he is convinces even those of us who had doubts that this time is different. Satelite is the future and AM is dead. Sells us on Sirius subs and sells us satelite radios. Now he is telling us see ya suckers, I am out of here. So you think we long loyal listeners should hold out a bit longer after decades of this crap from Art? Get real!

He'll return with a new show called Art Bell's Crappy Matter because he threw his fans and his integrity right down the crapper.

Here a distant relative of Art's cats helps out with the flushing.

why the water bill is so high Cat flushes toilet

This whole sordid episode smacks of trying to take a leak in toilet while the seat is down.
Self defeating and stupid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ__olNoUjs

Have any of your cats ever done this ?

Producer-Paul

Quote from: jazmunda on November 05, 2013, 06:49:08 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the answers. Much appreciated.

If things don't get resolved what's next for you? Are you going to retire? Travel the world? One other question I always wanted to ask you was are you a believer in the paranormal?

Cheers.

Oh man...
I'm being interviewed..

Let's see,..
Next for me..
Well,  I'm still on the payroll at SiriusXM so I'm going to do my best to
take care of business any way I know how.  Honestly and with integrity. (Sounds like a resume...)

If this ends,  I'll look at whatever options present themselves to me.
I left a pretty good job to do this program with Art.  I figured unless I try, I'll never know.
Better to try and well...  Change, than to not take a chance and wonder the rest of
my life,  "What if?".
I'll find something.  My talents are very diverse and abilities in technical fields, pretty good.

Travel?  That's been a lifelong hobby.  (How else would I know about the cute stumpy
little penguins that hate flash photos?  Oh I forgot to mention, I got ROYALLY yelled at
for taking a flash pic when we were there so you weren't alone in that experience.)

Do I believe in the paranormal......
Do I really need to answer that one?

How do you hear mv's broadcast?  I just see the chatroom.  Thanks.

Well at least most of you folks snapped out of your cult like devotion to Art.  This place was pretty scary for a while. 

Art's new show was half assed anyway, same guests same topics as 15 years ago only replace a radio pro with great questions with a bitter old curmudgeon who's time has clearly passed him by. 

How many shows were cancelled during the six weeks Art was back?  I know of two, was there more?  Didn't the mysterious "back pain" come back?    8)

Wasn't one of the reasons Art came back was because he was accused of being a serial retiree?  Way to show 'em Art!  :) 

lpta08

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 05, 2013, 07:33:40 PM
Oh man...
I'm being interviewed..

Let's see,..
Next for me..
take care of business any way I know how.  Honestly and with integrity. (Sounds like a resume...)

I left a pretty good job to do this program with Art.  I figured unless I try, I'll never know.
Better to try and well...  Change, than to not take a chance and wonder the rest of
my life,  "What if?".
I'll find something.  My talents are very diverse and abilities in technical fields, pretty good.

Travel?  That's been a lifelong hobby.  (How else would I know about the cute stumpy
little penguins that hate flash photos?  Oh I forgot to mention, I got ROYALLY yelled at
for taking a flash pic when we were there so you weren't alone in that experience.)

Paul-
Are you hopeful that there is going to be some kind of agreement? Are you planning on the show being back or do you think it is a lost cause?

dortmunder

Quote from: Étouffée on November 05, 2013, 07:34:12 PM

If you're on a phone or tablet then download the shoutcast app and search for ufoship

shell88

Paul:
Please call 573 837-4948.  Your mother wants to speak to you!

Bart Ell

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 05, 2013, 07:14:54 PM
I don't know if they are in direct communications.
However,....
I'm doing all I can.
Not only do I like the program,
Art is my good friend,
I really like the folks at SiriusXM

And lastly...
I like my gig...

I was a V.P. at an (almost) major record label during the 90's when Napster and MP3 files turned the business upside down. I see the issues with SXM to be quite similar to what the majority of the labels faced and continued to face. Luckily I was put in contact with a company that knew how to make the most of a situation like this and managed to adjust and thrive.

Without going into too much detail, there are ways to use the pirating and stream issues to your advantage. I think the model employed by the record companies that survived file sharing would also work for Art. It is just a matter of knowing your enemy and how to make them work for you.

MikeJ

Quote from: forgottenpassword on November 05, 2013, 07:35:49 PM
Well at least most of you folks snapped out of your cult like devotion to Art.  This place was pretty scary for a while. 

Art's new show was half assed anyway, same guests same topics as 15 years ago only replace a radio pro with great questions with a bitter old curmudgeon who's time has clearly passed him by. 

How many shows were cancelled during the six weeks Art was back?  I know of two, was there more?  Didn't the mysterious "bat ck pain" come back?    8)

Wasn't one of the reasons Art came back was because we  was accused of being a serial retiree?  Way to show 'em Art!  :)

The truth hurts....

BillW50

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 05, 2013, 07:09:58 PM
Hi Dan,

We've been working with the streaming issues from the first wave
of complaints from listeners.  Via email, the boards and Wormhole posts.
We noticed in the first week of programming.

As for planning or considering this in advance,
Ending the program was not
something he wanted to do nor planned to do.   

For the pirated streams:
One would think that a company that based it's revenues on
a subscription based biz model would want to shut down the
pirates.  If not, then why not allow Art to stream the program
for free on his dime?   

I don't know.

-Paul

Paul

Come on Paul! I don't doubt for a second that some has streaming problems. But many of us have not. So what could Sirius be doing wrong that some of us are having problems and some of us are not? Use your head Paul! You really believe that Sirius is targeting some and not others? Come on Paul, you are smarter than that!

Quote from: Étouffée on November 05, 2013, 07:34:12 PM
Me, too.  No audio. 

I demand MV fix this within 24 hours, or I will quit Bellgab.  Technical issues are unacceptable! 

jblank

Quote from: forgottenpassword on November 05, 2013, 07:35:49 PM

How many shows were cancelled during the six weeks Art was back?  I know of two, was there more?  Didn't the mysterious "back pain" come back?    8)

Wasn't one of the reasons Art came back was because he was accused of being a serial retiree?  Way to show 'em Art!  :)

I actually thought the shows were of good quality for the most part. The only real "bad" shows, to me, were the two hippy Ghostbuster chicks and the Whitley Streiber show. The rest were very good and Art, in my opinion, was on his game.

Falkie2013

Oh man...
I'm being interviewed..

Let's see,..
Next for me..

my life,  "What if?".

Post videos of the penguins. If you get enough hits and go viral you might make some money that way.
And who knows ?
Maybe one of the penguins will evolve and get his/her own talk show one day.
;D

Quote from: Spinner on November 05, 2013, 07:35:25 PM
Listen to MV's podcast:
http://ufoship.com/chat/

Thanks, Spinner, but it just takes me to the chatroom.  I don't wanna chat, I want to listen to a broadcast! (or podcast)

dan7800

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 05, 2013, 07:09:58 PM
Hi Dan,

We've been working with the streaming issues from the first wave
of complaints from listeners.  Via email, the boards and Wormhole posts.
We noticed in the first week of programming.

As for planning or considering this in advance,
Ending the program was not
something he wanted to do nor planned to do.   

For the pirated streams:
One would think that a company that based it's revenues on
a subscription based biz model would want to shut down the
pirates.  If not, then why not allow Art to stream the program
for free on his dime?   

I don't know.

-Paul

Paul

Thank you very much for the response Paul.

Was there any thought to merely taking a hiatus until the problem was resolved or even cutting back the number/length of the shows?

dortmunder

Quote from: Étouffée on November 05, 2013, 07:41:28 PM
Thanks, Spinner, but it just takes me to the chatroom.  I don't wanna chat, I want to listen to a broadcast! (or podcast)

See my response above...

BillW50

Oh man...
I'm being interviewed..

Let's see,..
Next for me..

Don't worry Paul. Art has been pulling this crap since he was a child. Everything has to be his way or he is going home.