• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mounting a SMB share on Android for playing DVD's

Started by area51drone, December 10, 2014, 04:30:40 AM

area51drone

Trying to play DVDs from my computer on a tablet.  Wondershare Player was working, but now asks for a username and password to access an open share (that ESFileExplorer can see/browse no problem).   Is there any solution that will let me play a physical DVD out there other than Wondershare?   Maybe mounting the SMB share to a local folder and playing it that way?   I'm open to any suggestions.    My tablet is not rooted, btw.

area51drone

Interesting.. I would have thought someone would have had an answer to this.   

It amazes me that you can't plug in a portable USB dvd drive into a tablet.

wr250

Quote from: area51drone on December 10, 2014, 10:05:24 PM
Interesting.. I would have thought someone would have had an answer to this.   

It amazes me that you can't plug in a portable USB dvd drive into a tablet.

you can and i have.just need the adapter cable.

cweb

Quote from: wr250 on December 11, 2014, 06:42:58 AM

you can and i have.just need the adapter cable.
do you mean via a "proper" USB port? or can you do this with USB OTG? I'd wonder about OTG being able to handle the power reqs...

wr250

Quote from: cweb on December 11, 2014, 09:19:16 AM
do you mean via a "proper" USB port? or can you do this with USB OTG? I'd wonder about OTG being able to handle the power reqs...

/*edit*/
DOH i misread your post. i highly doubt a tablet can power a dvd drive. however , it the drive has external power i see no reason why it wouldnt work
/*endedit*/

i use a microusb to std usb adapter cable. and a cruzer thumb drive.
[attach=1]

[attach=2]

cweb

Quote from: wr250 on December 11, 2014, 09:44:30 AM
/*edit*/
DOH i misread your post. i highly doubt a tablet can power a dvd drive. however , it the drive has external power i see no reason why it wouldnt work
/*endedit*/

sorry, I worded my post a little strangely!

yes, I was wondering about the DVD drive. more of a thought experiment than anything.  :D