• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Jackstar

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 27, 2018, 11:37:28 AM
some garlic accidentally got into my food, and I woke up almost dead

Strong genes in this one.

Interesting article. Thanks. My symptoms are consistent with an allium intolerance, but a few times, I've had an allergic reaction where my airways closed and I couldn't breath - anaphylactic shock. That was the time my girlfriend found me trying to claw a hole in the wall. I had been in a dead sleep when it happened. I couldn't breath. I must have been trying to get outside to get air.
I've gotten pretty good at detecting raw onion and garlic in my food. When I taste it, it's like when you stick your tongue on the terminals of a 9volt battery. the stuff is in everything. I can't eat a lot of processed foods.
Quote from: Jackstar on January 27, 2018, 01:25:19 PM
https://www.popsci.com/animal-vegetable-miserable

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 27, 2018, 11:37:28 AM
I had a Romanian girlfriend last year who used to joke me about that. Apparently, Romanians love garlic and onions, and the reason, at least in their folklore, is that it wards off vampires. One time when I was with her, some garlic accidentally got into my food, and I woke up almost dead. I didn't know where I was and was thrashing around trying to claw a hole in the wall to escape. She made sure never to use either of those ingredients cooking after that.
So sorry to hear that!  Allergies, esp the anaphylactic types, are just so serious.  I hope you carry benydryl!

I only eat one or two minced cloves inside the whole 4 cups, and a couple pearl onions the size of marbles.  But I have other food allergies.  I have to limit histamine-facilitating foods myself.  Otherwise, I'm reaching for the benydryl.   Anaphylaxis sucks crap.  Sometimes I sleep with the light in case I need to look inside my throat.  Wherever I go, I carry a little mirror and the remedy.  And with the light on, well, then less disorientation!

Sometimes histamine just goes too far.  A case of overdoing it.

I think taking 100 photos IS exercise!  Enjoy your carrots and spinach!  And green beans!

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on January 27, 2018, 01:21:55 PM
Strong genes in this one.
Histamine is a hormone.  Hormones are disrupted by fuel fumes (everywhere), plastic (everywhere), air pollution, overuse of soy..?

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on January 27, 2018, 05:51:04 PM
So sorry to hear that!  Allergies, esp the anaphylactic types, are just so serious.  I hope you carry benydryl!

I only eat one or two minced cloves inside the whole 4 cups, and a couple pearl onions the size of marbles.  But I have other food allergies.  I have to limit histamine-facilitating foods myself.  Otherwise, I'm reaching for the benydryl.   Anaphylaxis sucks crap.  Sometimes I sleep with the light in case I need to look inside my throat.  Wherever I go, I carry a little mirror and the remedy.  And with the light on, well, then less disorientation!

Sometimes histamine just goes too far.  A case of overdoing it.

I think taking 100 photos IS exercise!  Enjoy your carrots and spinach!  And green beans!
If you got problems that bad I would invest in an Epipen.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on January 27, 2018, 06:05:33 PM
If you got problems that bad I would invest in an Epipen.
Just once in 1989 and once in 2012.  And sometimes hives that don't escalate in there.  There is quite an adrenaline response to Albuterol, though, too?  Thanks for the reminder, but I wish they would make a less potentially lethal pen! Histamine can be halted by "bearing down" on a deep breath a few times, too.  But ladies don't bear down all the way to the uterus unless you want to risk prolapses.  That goes for mowing the lawn too!

Jojo

Quote from: anon on January 27, 2018, 07:58:04 PM
polenta. that is all.
I love polenta!  It is full of satisfying gluten, yet "gluten free!"

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on January 27, 2018, 06:59:05 PM
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667
Dementia is better than suffocation! Hands down!
But I only use it as needed!  I studied the new "better" antihistamines and none of them make the claim of reducing anaphylaxis like benydryl.  I wish they would!  I don't like benydryl-the side effects are very hard on me.

Robert

I originally read the subject as "Sustainable Dating".

Jojo

Quote from: Robert on January 28, 2018, 05:45:44 PM
I originally read the subject as "Sustainable Dating".
That's a good one! All the posts in Random thoughts were good  tonite too.

Jojo

Best practices yesterday:
Got hungry
Small portions
Realized lack of complex carbs at a meal was leading to sugar craving
Quit while I was ahead
Made sure to eat on time
Stayed active, built activity into work day

My favorite gym is flooded. I do pull-ups on the playground part of it during the day because children are in school and nobody is there. The adult part of the gym with weights is under water too but couldn't get a photo because police have blocked off the area.

Hour bike ride. Did pull-ups at home on a door frame with my fingertips. Plan to do 20 minutes of yoga before bed.

When I cannot resist snakcing, I've been forcing myself to eat vegetables instead of cake and icecream. Eating a couple of carrots every day. The carrots at the corner vegetable store look very clean. I can't stand to peel them because it is messy. Instead, I scrub them hard, and eat them with skins and dirt. Psychologically, they are much easier to eat when I don't bother to peel them.

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 29, 2018, 02:28:05 PM
My favorite gym is flooded. I do pull-ups on the playground part of it during the day because children are in school and nobody is there. The adult part of the gym with weights is under water too but couldn't get a photo because police have blocked off the area.

Hour bike ride. Did pull-ups at home on a door frame with my fingertips. Plan to do 20 minutes of yoga before bed.

When I cannot resist snakcing, I've been forcing myself to eat vegetables instead of cake and icecream. Eating a couple of carrots every day. The carrots at the corner vegetable store look very clean. I can't stand to peel them because it is messy. Instead, I scrub them hard, and eat them with skins and dirt. Psychologically, they are much easier to eat when I don't bother to peel them.

Gee, does this flooding stay around a long time?  Does it happen every year?  Are you in danger? What happened to the river?

The day that door frame gives way!!!!!!!

I love playgrounds, but most have been removed from my area.  Remember merry go rounds?  See saws?  So much fun!  I like swings, too, but not dinky little ones.  When I had a dog, we went to schoolyards on weekends when no one was there.  Hardly any playgrounds existed, though.  No monkey bars (sometimes I just want to hang and stretch my spine!).

One time, a young arsonist burned up a plastic playground in the county where I lived.  Authorities couldn't figure out who did the crime for quite a while.  I discovered gloating, smug graffiti on a park bench a little off the beaten path.  A perp had carved, "I did it again!" and something like insults to authorities and praises to fire.  I called the tip in anonymously.  I don't know if my tip helped or not, but they prosecuted a prior arsonist for that playground.

I don't feel carrots either, except if someone else requests it.  For myself, though, I just rinse them and then scrape over any really bad skin, or cut off bad parts. Peelers can do some damage to fingers, although the rubber coated metal ones are more secure to use.  In a roast, no one can tell.  But, for pretty soups or stir fry, peeling does a lot for appearance.  I heard though, that peels are good fiber!

I don't want to bore you with more advice, but did you know there are ways to mitigate the damage of dessert?  A tablespoon of vinegar in water (or any acid like tomato, lemon, orange) after dessert slows down digestion so that refined sugar doesn't hit your bloodstream so fast.  And if you toss in 2 spoonfuls of bran, that also slows down digestion as well as prepares the colon for the big work.  And, if you have a handful of an assortment, like one piece of broccoli, one piece of lettuce, one piece of carrot, and the more variety you build in, the better.... Then your digestion will be even calmer, with less sugar cravings the next day.  Because eating dessert makes one crave more dessert, as sugar cycles get whacked out.  Drinking water too will slow it down.

The slower the digestion of sugar, the less is stored as fat.

Also, when eating simple carbs like cake or ice cream, one hack is to not add any protein until later.  Because if I understand right, the protein will be stored as fat because it is digested after the nasty sugar fills up the blood sugar gap and the sugar depletion in the liver.  After those are filled by dessert, protein has nowhere to go but to fat.

Seeds and nuts are anti-digestives.  I am curious if having a few of those with dessert might get desert out faster, but I really don't know, and they are protein so just a few, since the protein in them will probably be wasted.

But, in a few hours, then having some meat is nice, as protein does also balance digestion generally speaking.

If you already know this, maybe someone else will see it too.

Robert

Quote from: Jojo on January 29, 2018, 03:35:58 PMI don't feel carrots either, except if someone else requests it.
Ooo, kinky!

But seriously, folks, that coating tastes awful & is too tightly adherent to scrub off.  The trouble is the spray of juice onto everything when I scrape them -- leaves walls & garbage cans orange, then black when it gets moldy.  The peeled baby carrots are good if the price is right, which isn't often.  Carrots have always been my favorite vegetable.

I still have the disgusting gut. It's been one month since I noticed it, and I've been trying to get rid of it since then. Exercise and diet.

Stomach fat or visceral fat is the fat that is beneath the stomach muscles. It builds up around the internal organs. Research shows that it at least doubles the risk of heart attack and stroke, especially in men.

For me, getting in shape is a matter of life and death. My father had a gut, and he had his first heart attack at the age of 40. His brother, also overweight, had his first heart attack at 41. By 45, he had triple bypass heart surgery. Two grand parents died of heart attacks.

""The neighborhood vegetable store sells carrots that are already super clean. There is no visible dirt and no need to scrape. I think they're hydroponic or something. Scrubbing is good enough, and I haven't gotten food poisoning yet. They're in a bin at the store, and I pick out the best ones.

I'm going to try the thing with taking a tablespoon of vinegar.

Other than that, I don't cook, so unless I eat at a restaurant, I eat mostly raw food. I can't eat cooked carrots. They're yucky. They must be raw. I'm only buying vegetables that I can eat raw. I eat raw fish and raw meat too. The butcher across the street from me has a good reputation. Same with raw eggs,but I only eat the yolks.

I went for a 2 hour bike ride today along some canals and outside of town. I definitely have more energy now. I think my resting metabolism has increased. I feel it in the form of body heat. I don't feel cold any more either. It's winter, I don't turn on the heater, and I leave a window open. the heat from the flat beneath mine rises through the floor and heats mine enough.

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 30, 2018, 11:51:44 AM
I still have the disgusting gut. It's been one month since I noticed it, and I've been trying to get rid of it since then. Exercise and diet.

Stomach fat or visceral fat is the fat that is beneath the stomach muscles. It builds up around the internal organs. Research shows that it at least doubles the risk of heart attack and stroke, especially in men.

For me, getting in shape is a matter of life and death. My father had a gut, and he had his first heart attack at the age of 40. His brother, also overweight, had his first heart attack at 41. By 45, he had triple bypass heart surgery. Two grand parents died of heart attacks.

""The neighborhood vegetable store sells carrots that are already super clean. There is no visible dirt and no need to scrape. I think they're hydroponic or something. Scrubbing is good enough, and I haven't gotten food poisoning yet. They're in a bin at the store, and I pick out the best ones.

I'm going to try the thing with taking a tablespoon of vinegar.

Other than that, I don't cook, so unless I eat at a restaurant, I eat mostly raw food. I can't eat cooked carrots. They're yucky. They must be raw. I'm only buying vegetables that I can eat raw. I eat raw fish and raw meat too. The butcher across the street from me has a good reputation. Same with raw eggs,but I only eat the yolks.

I went for a 2 hour bike ride today along some canals and outside of town. I definitely have more energy now. I think my resting metabolism has increased. I feel it in the form of body heat. I don't feel cold any more either. It's winter, I don't turn on the heater, and I leave a window open. the heat from the flat beneath mine rises through the floor and heats mine enough.
Raw fish, egg yolks and meat?  Are you in the U.S.?  Glad you are warm. Are you sure the gut isn't fish parasites!!!!!

It's not a parasite. I'm familiar with the symptoms of common parasites found in contaminated fish and meat. Stomach and intestinal parasites generally cause extreme fatigue, pain, tenderness nausea, pooping out bits of worms and other fun symptoms that I don't have. Fish tapeworms or anisakisosis have such symptoms. The raw fish is sushi. As long as you get it from a reputable sushi restaurant, there is minimal risk. Same with the raw meat. For example, steak tartare is popular at restaurants. It is raw ground meat, either beef or horse, with a raw egg yolk added. Contaminated meat is virtually unheard of from good restaurants and good butchers.

I think the gut is because it simply takes a long time to lose fat, and losing visceral belly fat is the most difficult area to lose fat. I just went over the math, counting what I have eaten versus what I have burned. Progress is slow because my calorie deficit is very moderate. I'm eating an average of 300 kCal per day fewer than I burn. It's been one month, and in one month, I've burned around 9000 more kCal than I have eaten. Assuming a deficit of 7000 kCal translates to the loss of one pound of fat, I calculate that I have lost barely more than 1 pound of fat since I started one month ago.

My progress is slow, but it is sustainable compaired to a crash diet.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 31, 2018, 02:22:07 PM
It's not a parasite. I'm familiar with the symptoms of common parasites found in contaminated fish and meat. Stomach and intestinal parasites generally cause extreme fatigue, pain, tenderness nausea, pooping out bits of worms and other fun symptoms that I don't have. Fish tapeworms or anisakisosis have such symptoms. The raw fish is sushi. As long as you get it from a reputable sushi restaurant, there is minimal risk. Same with the raw meat. For example, steak tartare is popular at restaurants. It is raw ground meat, either beef or horse, with a raw egg yolk added. Contaminated meat is virtually unheard of from good restaurants and good butchers.

I think the gut is because it simply takes a long time to lose fat, and losing visceral belly fat is the most difficult area to lose fat. Progress is slow because my calorie deficit is very moderate. I'm eating an average of 300 kCal per day fewer than I burn. It's been one month, and in one month, I've burned around 9000 more kCal than I have eaten. Assuming a deficit of 7000 kCal translates to the loss of one pound of fat, I calculate that I have lost barely more than 1 pound of fat since I started one month ago.

My progress is slow, but it is sustainable compaired to a crash diet.

Are you taking acidophils or something like it?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-gut-bacteria-help-make-us-fat-and-thin/

No, but I started taking a probiotic this month. It has lactobacillus rhamnosus and bifidobacterium. I eat a little yogurt and certain cheeses that don't set off my dairy sensitivity.

In hindsight, I think my stomach is bloated today and yesterday because I have a migraine. It's not so bad right now because I've been taking heavy medication to kill the pain, but the bloating is still here.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 31, 2018, 02:42:55 PM
No, but I started taking a probiotic this month. It has lactobacillus rhamnosus and bifidobacterium. I eat a little yogurt and certain cheeses that don't set off my dairy sensitivity.

In hindsight, I think my stomach is bloated today and yesterday because I have a migraine. It's not so bad right now because I've been taking heavy medication to kill the pain, but the bloating is still here.

Or it is the full moon.

The oregano is worth looking at.  There are 2 things making my stomach fat. The main one is visceral fat. But the second one is bloating. The bloating happens every time I get a migraine. Basically, the migraine shuts down my stomach and makes it bloat. Along with it comes nausea and vomiting. It's not uncommon to go along with migraines. The bloating lasts as long as the migraine, up to sevearl days.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 31, 2018, 04:30:49 PM
The oregano is worth looking at.  There are 2 things making my stomach fat. The main one is visceral fat. But the second one is bloating. The bloating happens every time I get a migraine. Basically, the migraine shuts down my stomach and makes it bloat. Along with it comes nausea and vomiting. It's not uncommon to go along with migraines. The bloating lasts as long as the migraine, up to sevearl days.

It's possible you've got that diagnosis reversed. It may be the gastric symptoms that are causing your migraines. Have you been to see a gastroenterologist?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 31, 2018, 04:38:16 PM
It's possible you've got that diagnosis reversed. It may be the gastric symptoms that are causing your migraines. Have you been to see a gastroenterologist?

Yeah. He doesn’t just play a doctor on the internet, you know.