• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

BellBoy

Quote from: Art Bell on September 02, 2015, 02:17:06 AM
I see people on Bell Gab hated the Guest tonight. However all the people on the Wormhole loved it. My email was good on the Guest and what feedback there was on FB liked the Guest. The only caller I had who did not like the guest was from Bell Gab. hmmmmm, could it be that everybody here is of one mind? I didn't think he was that bad.

Art

I haven't had a chance to listen to the archive yet, but from perusing some of the other on-line forums, it appears that this particular guest's appeal might be a whole lot less than you were hoping for. It seems, for instance, that in 4chan's live feed thread last night, the only thing hated more than Patrick Burns was BellGab itself...

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Art Bell on September 02, 2015, 02:59:29 AM
Trust me I know, why do you think I so named them? For the most part they don't like fresh air. Still they are a smart group of people. I think they would not like anybody doing EVP because they are following GIS. That's life.

Art

Hey Art-

1). You got a lot of feedback from 'gabbers responding to your request for promotional ideas.  Would appreciate knowing which, if any, of the ideas you plan to implement.

2).  Can you give us any more insight into WBCQ's decision to discontinue airing MITD?

I'm very much looking forward to hearing Peter Davenport on tonight's broadcast.

**note to Art**

Even when I dislike the the guest (as I did last night),I still listen to every millisecond of the show and and when Ms.Crystal Gayle does her thing, I look forward to the next night.

pyewacket

I didn't listen to the whole show. The EVPs did sound fake. I would have loved to hear more about the haunted history of the area instead.

This is tough subject matter to present. Many years have passed since the paranormal became a point of interest to the masses. In that time many books, shows, experts have come and gone. Some were more entertaining than others and some were downright dishonest, just like the first wave of spiritualism was in the 19th century. It's still an interesting topic to be discussed BUT maybe from a different perspective.

You've got a mix of people in the audience and not all will be interested in any given topic. Each show may be the introduction to some of the listeners. The tone and content of the show will either gain or lose them. Let's face it, certain other shows and hosts have pretty much fouled the subject matter over the years and it will take some fresh ideas to clean it up. I think Art has a great chance to do this with MITD. It just might take him and older listeners a bit out of their comfort zones. Some old aspects of the past program will still work; others may have to be adjusted or dropped.

I'll see if I can find a few guests to recommend to Heather. Not everyone shares the same interests and I wouldn't expect it. Bellgab is an unusual forum- smart and funny but there seems to be a different vibe here for the last month or so. Hard to say what's causing it.

Looking forward to tonight's show. 

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 02, 2015, 10:47:47 AM
Hey Art-

2).  Can you give us any more insight into WBCQ's decision to discontinue airing MITD?

I smell a PremRAT.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Art Bell on September 02, 2015, 02:59:29 AM
Trust me I know, why do you think I so named them? For the most part they don't like fresh air. Still they are a smart group of people. I think they would not like anybody doing EVP because they are following GIS. That's life.

Art

Admittedly I do feel that way.  To me, GIS is the gold standard of EVP work and I judge everything against them.  Personally I did not like the guest last night.  It's my opinion he is a fraud and a huckster who fabricated the EVP recordings to hustle tour tickets and maybe a couple of books.

That said, really looking forward to Peter Davenport tonight.

TigerLily

I see people on Bell Gab hated the Guest tonight. However all the people on the Wormhole loved it. My email was good on the Guest and what feedback there was on FB liked the Guest. The only caller I had who did not like the Guest was from Bell Gab. hmmmmm, could it be that everybody here is of one mind? I didn't think he was that bad.

Art
"Everybody here is of one mind?"   ;D  Please.  Getting gabbers' consensus on anything is like herding cats.

Tarbaby

Art, I enjoyed the show last night, you made it a good show. But I don't and never have believed in the EVP phenomena whatsoever. Be it the guy  last night or the GIS girls, etc. It's just so obviously bogus.

boxman

Quote from: jazmunda on September 02, 2015, 04:58:58 AM
Still haven't heard the EVP portion of the show so I can't comment specifically on that but for me EVPs are probably easier to fake than a ghost or UFO video. You need some skills and some know how to fake the later and only a voice recorder for the former. Having said that I guess I always took what the GIS (read NOT CHUNGA) to the bank because Barbara reminded me of my grandma. She also seemed like a luddite that wouldn't even know how to fake it. Not selling anything added credibility but that doesn't mean I dismiss anyone who has something to sell.

I guess because it's getting easier and easier to fake stuff, and even an 11 year old with an iPhone can whip up something "credible", that if Ghosts or UFOs do exist if someone does capture something then it will just be poo pooed and ridiculed by the vaguely lovables of this world.
Why fake them when everyone can just "record" them? I dont beleive they are ghosts/spirits but I highly doubt most of these are faked. Nearly all EVP's can be explained by the paredolia effect

boxman

Hey Art-

1). You got a lot of feedback from 'gabbers responding to your request for promotional ideas.  Would appreciate knowing which, if any, of the ideas you plan to implement.

I think what it says on their website says it all: http://schedule.wbcq.com/main.php?fn=show_program&id=290
QuoteProgram Notes

Ran 19 July to 28 August 2015 on 7490; first month also parallel on 9330. Dropped due to lack of paying sponsor.

Eddie Coyle

PAGES of posts of suggestions on spreading the word about MITD and Art in general. Art's response...silence.

Some criticism of a guest...Art posts multiple times with an accusation of groupthink.

Tarbaby

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 02, 2015, 12:24:10 PM
  PAGES of posts of suggestions on spreading the word about MITD and Art in general. Art's response...silence.

Some criticism of a guest...Art posts multiple times with an accusation of groupthink.

what was that, cliff notes? :-)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 02, 2015, 12:29:51 PM
what was that, cliff notes? :-)

35 bucks with a SASE and I'll send them in cursive or Old English.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 02, 2015, 12:24:10 PM

I smell a PremRAT.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 02, 2015, 12:42:51 PM
I smell a PremRAT.

They pay very well. Since March 2011. Much higher tax bracket than you because of this extra $192,000 they pay me annually.

Worst part of Art's return is yours.

I'm pretty sure Art said C Crane was footing the bill for shortwave time. I'm guessing there was not a spike in sales

smithy

I see people on Bell Gab hated the Guest tonight. However all the people on the Wormhole loved it. My email was good on the Guest and what feedback there was on FB liked the Guest. The only caller I had who did not like the Guest was from Bell Gab. hmmmmm, could it be that everybody here is of one mind? I didn't think he was that bad.

Art

The show was pure entertainment. Keep on doing what you do best, Art Bell!  You are providing great programs day after day and I want to say "thank you".

BellBoy

Quote from: boxman on September 02, 2015, 12:19:32 PM
I think what it says on their website says it all: http://schedule.wbcq.com/main.php?fn=show_program&id=290

oooooooo Ouch! Glad I didn't invest in a new shortwave set...

Quote from: smithy on September 02, 2015, 01:02:24 PM
The show was pure entertainment. Keep on doing what you do best, Art Bell!  You are providing great programs day after day and I want to say "thank you".

What I was going to say, except you said it better!  It's all about the entertainment, even if the guest is full of it.  In fact, that just makes it all the more fun.

Keep on keepin' on, Art!

castromiller

Quote from: jazmunda on September 02, 2015, 03:05:29 AM
http://artbell.com/wed-sep-2-peter-davenport/

I have been listening to Peter Daveport report on Art's show for nearing 20 years and I have never seen a photo of him. I always imagined him to look different.
Same here.  I always thought he would look like Philo from UHF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ld-twoeg2s

albrecht

Quote from: boxman on September 02, 2015, 12:19:32 PM
What's weird is from their website it looks like anyone, I assume within good taste, can buy airtime from them. Like WWCR. So they run local ads also on SW? I thought most SW shows pay for the airtime and run their own commercials (if any) or promote the "collection plate" (since most are religious show?)

"Free radio fall special

Now is the time to get on the air and make a difference. For $25 the hour get on our 5110khz or 9330khz transmitters. Buy as much time as you like at this low rate. Minimum $50 (two shows) monthly. Now is the time to do real radio.

Call us today for this great deal. 207-538-9180 or email wbcq@wbcq.com"

henge0stone

I can't wait for Davenport tonight and the show on werewolves!!

Art Bell

I am not at all shocked by shortwave not making it, the electric bill is really big for them and about the only people who can afford it are religion based shows. Bob Crane is helping WTWW but even that may not last because it is just not getting many listeners these days.

The same really goes for what we are doing, I told you all that this would be a smaller show because it is on mostly the Internet and this is new stuff for the Public, I do not have a problem with that, it may end up being a listener supported program which is also fine with me. If we don't have many who Advertise with us there is more time for content.

Art

ItsOver

Quote from: Art Bell on September 02, 2015, 02:14:34 PM
I am not at all shocked by shortwave not making it, the electric bill is really big for them and about the only people who can afford it are religion based shows. Bob Crane is helping WTWW but even that may not last because it is just not getting many listeners these days.

The same really goes for what we are doing, I told you all that this would be a smaller show because it is on mostly the Internet and this is new stuff for the Public, I do not have a problem with that, it may end up being a listener supported program which is also fine with me. If we don't have many who Advertise with us there is more time for content.

Art
Thanks for telling us what you think on this, Art.  I'm a happier listener and as long as you're happy, you still have a number of dedicated fans who will be tuning in one way or the other.

AppealPlay

Art

Ah, well, it's unfortunate that shortwave isn't working out.  I hope the regular affiliates are getting good ratings, though.  I'll always listen to you no matter where you go or what platform it is. :)

RoseGirl

Art

Totally with you on this Art. It's always been my experience that if you worry about keeping the 'bean counters' happy...well, then...at the end of the day all you have is a bad show, a zombie audience and happy bean counters. Not the way, in my opinion, that the 'business of creativity' works best.

There's still room for talent in this world, Art. Just do what you do and let the rest follow as it may. Truth be told, they like following anyway. lol

ItsOver

Quote from: RoseGirl on September 02, 2015, 02:37:01 PM

... It's always been my experience that if you worry about keeping the 'bean counters' happy...well, then...at the end of the day all you have is a bad show, a zombie audience and happy bean counters. Not the way, in my opinion, that the 'business of creativity' works best...

Yes, we already have enough of this approach.  I'd rather be in a happy minority then in a brain-dead majority.

coaster

Quote from: henge0stone on September 02, 2015, 02:10:40 PM
I can't wait for Davenport tonight and the show on werewolves!!
Davenport is pretty entertaining.

Uncle Duke

Art

BCQ is a long time favorite of mine, brilliantly eclectic mix of programming, including longtime madman host Johnny Lightning.  I'd recommend him as a guest, but I don't think he could abide by the "no bad language" policy for three minutes, let alone three hours.  I thought MITD was a perfect fit in their "anything goes" format, sorry to see them leave the fold. 

Conversely, I would not have been surprised if WTWW had dropped MITD seeing as how their programming is predominately Christian-focused.  I'm sure many of their listeners have not been amused with some of the MITD shows to date, the GIS folks and "Father" Ashcraft probably drove them to near apoplexy.

onan

...it may end up being a listener supported program which is also fine with me...

Art

Fine with me too, how much and where do I send the check?