• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

CCrane Witness Finally Went Tango Uniform

Started by Uncle Duke, July 17, 2017, 10:45:50 AM

Uncle Duke

Bell convinced me to buy my Witness back in the early 2000s.   After many years of faithful service, it has finally given up the ghost.  At the time, there really wasn't a device on the market that offered the featured of the Witness, but how about now?  Anyone aware of a comparable product available,  preferably at a better price than the $150 Witness?

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 17, 2017, 10:45:50 AM
Bell convinced me to buy my Witness back in the early 2000s.   After many years of faithful service, it has finally given up the ghost.  At the time, there really wasn't a device on the market that offered the featured of the Witness, but how about now?  Anyone aware of a comparable product available,  preferably at a better price than the $150 Witness?
I had a Pogo device that, I think, was before the CC Witness but from CCrane (as I recall,) but it went kaput some years ago. I haven't found any replacement other than the CC Witness. If you google/amazon you will see some possible replacements but most of those look cheap and also don't feature AM. Or are "unavailable," I'm guess not much market for it. Interesting my Pogo product is still on Amazon and the comments seem to be mainly people who wanted to record C2C and talk-radio. That market, I guess, is dying as people can get the shows from podcasts, torrents, youtubes, etc? Post it if you find a good, reliable replacement to the Witness.
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Your-Recorder-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0008KL7IQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1500334357&sr=8-1&keywords=pogo+am%2Ffm
No idea of quality and I cannot determine if like Witness or Pogo you can time to record a show, which to me is the best feature):
https://www.amazon.com/Kaito-world-Receiver-Recorder-Player/dp/B00ZEMZCHU
http://www.etoncorp.com/en/productdisplay/g2-reporter -basically same price as Witness

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on July 17, 2017, 05:33:04 PM
I had a Pogo device that, I think, was before the CC Witness but from CCrane (as I recall,) but it went kaput some years ago. I haven't found any replacement other than the CC Witness. If you google/amazon you will see some possible replacements but most of those look cheap and also don't feature AM. Or are "unavailable," I'm guess not much market for it. Interesting my Pogo product is still on Amazon and the comments seem to be mainly people who wanted to record C2C and talk-radio. That market, I guess, is dying as people can get the shows from podcasts, torrents, youtubes, etc? Post it if you find a good, reliable replacement to the Witness.
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Your-Recorder-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0008KL7IQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1500334357&sr=8-1&keywords=pogo+am%2Ffm
No idea of quality and I cannot determine if like Witness or Pogo you can time to record a show, which to me is the best feature):
https://www.amazon.com/Kaito-world-Receiver-Recorder-Player/dp/B00ZEMZCHU
http://www.etoncorp.com/en/productdisplay/g2-reporter -basically same price as Witness

Yeah, the ability to program recording times/days/stations in advance sets the Witness apart.  I've looked at a good number of radios with built in digital recorders, but none I have found are programmable.   The Witness has a few other features I really like, especially the ability to listen to recorded programs at 1.5 times the recording speed.  The faster play back speed, combined with fast forwarding through commercials and news, allows you to listen to a four hour show in less than two hours.  (Btw, sped up LMH sounds like Carol Burnett, Gerald Celente sounds like former Stooge Larry Fine.)  The Witness also allows you to record conversations.  I've used it as a backup digital recorder in ghost hunts at places like Waverly Hills and Mansfield Prison, sound quality is surprisingly good.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 17, 2017, 07:08:54 PM
Yeah, the ability to program recording times/days/stations in advance sets the Witness apart.  I've looked at a good number of radios with built in digital recorders, but none I have found are programmable.   The Witness has a few other features I really like, especially the ability to listen to recorded programs at 1.5 times the recording speed.  The faster play back speed, combined with fast forwarding through commercials and news, allows you to listen to a four hour show in less than two hours.  (Btw, sped up LMH sounds like Carol Burnett, Gerald Celente sounds like former Stooge Larry Fine.)  The Witness also allows you to record conversations.  I've used it as a backup digital recorder in ghost hunts at places like Waverly Hills and Mansfield Prison, sound quality is surprisingly good.
Ha, that is funny re listening at faster speed and unintended voice "coincidences."
Anything interesting on your hunts? Have you posted at BG or called in to any shows about those places and/or your recordings?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on July 17, 2017, 09:52:50 PM
Ha, that is funny re listening at faster speed and unintended voice "coincidences."
Anything interesting on your hunts? Have you posted at BG or called in to any shows about those places and/or your recordings?

I think I've posted about some of the ghost hunts here, but briefly those undertaken at the "big name" sites like Waverly were done with my daughter and her best friend.  Both women are RNs, but the friend fancies herself something of a sensitive.  Mansfield was a bust, although my daughter's friend did have some anxious moments in a solitary confinement cell.  She was genuinely and visably shaken by something she sensed, but nothing else occurred.  Similarly we spent an extremely dull night in "Prospect Place" (http://www.prairieghosts.com/prospect.html), saw or experienced nothing.  Disgusting place actually, trash all over the "mansion" and it reeked of stale urine and pot smoke.  Whoever convinced the ghost hunting world Prospect was worth paying to investigate was a marketing genius.

Waverly Hills was more active.  I personally saw figures, blacker than the ambient dark of the facility, including one that momentarily blocked incoming light though a (glassless) window as if by walking past it.  My daughter's friend claimed to have heard her name whispered in what was a children's ward, but she was the only one who heard it.  My daughter never saw or heard anything that night, but she did get very creeped out while touring the facility's morgue.  And yes, I did get a couple EVPs on the Witness; one sounding like soft sobbing, the second more like someone moaning in pain.  No verbiage or spoken words in either, just vocalizations of a couple individuals in distress.  I did play them at an open house kinda deal some local ghost hunting group was hosting, but they didn't seem too impressed. *shrug*

Eventually both women gave up ghost hunting after having children, and since I had never taken it all that seriously, I figured my ghost hunting days were over.  Totally out of the blue one day I was approached by a retired USAF colonel who asked if he could take me to lunch. I had known the guy for many years, knew him as a "by-the-book" type, very focused and mission oriented.  Since he worked as a senior manager for a support contractor, I assumed he was going to try to sell me on taking a job to write proposals or some such.  I had my "...I appreciate the opportunity, but...." speech all prepared, but was surprised when he straight away asked me if I'd become a partner in his, until then, one man paranormal group.  Long story short, I've helped the guy do a systematic investigation of the small, but history rich town in southwestern Ohio where he and his family reside.  We have been given pretty much complete access to the town's buildings/business working through the town council and chamber of commerce, and have provided a number of debriefs/reveals to both groups.  With the exception of a strange reddish light flickering in a long abandoned, small cemetery one cold winter night, I have experienced nothing. My colleague, a EE by trade and a gizmo geek, has picked up some interesting EVPs and hard to explain images, however.   We frequently disagree what we hear on the EVPs (he hears words, I hear what could be voices speaking gibberish), the same with what we see in video/photos he captures. We do not advertise, my colleague seems happy enough staying in his little town.  We tend to do the research in the fall, so I expect to be hearing from him in the next month or two.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 18, 2017, 12:24:33 AM
I think I've posted about some of the ghost hunts here, but briefly those undertaken at the "big name" sites like Waverly were done with my daughter and her best friend.  Both women are RNs, but the friend fancies herself something of a sensitive.  Mansfield was a bust, although my daughter's friend did have some anxious moments in a solitary confinement cell.  She was genuinely and visably shaken by something she sensed, but nothing else occurred.  Similarly we spent an extremely dull night in "Prospect Place" (http://www.prairieghosts.com/prospect.html), saw or experienced nothing.  Disgusting place actually, trash all over the "mansion" and it reeked of stale urine and pot smoke.  Whoever convinced the ghost hunting world Prospect was worth paying to investigate was a marketing genius.

Waverly Hills was more active.  I personally saw figures, blacker than the ambient dark of the facility, including one that momentarily blocked incoming light though a (glassless) window as if by walking past it.  My daughter's friend claimed to have heard her name whispered in what was a children's ward, but she was the only one who heard it.  My daughter never saw or heard anything that night, but she did get very creeped out while touring the facility's morgue.  And yes, I did get a couple EVPs on the Witness; one sounding like soft sobbing, the second more like someone moaning in pain.  No verbiage or spoken words in either, just vocalizations of a couple individuals in distress.  I did play them at an open house kinda deal some local ghost hunting group was hosting, but they didn't seem too impressed. *shrug*

Eventually both women gave up ghost hunting after having children, and since I had never taken it all that seriously, I figured my ghost hunting days were over.  Totally out of the blue one day I was approached by a retired USAF colonel who asked if he could take me to lunch. I had known the guy for many years, knew him as a "by-the-book" type, very focused and mission oriented.  Since he worked as a senior manager for a support contractor, I assumed he was going to try to sell me on taking a job to write proposals or some such.  I had my "...I appreciate the opportunity, but...." speech all prepared, but was surprised when he straight away asked me if I'd become a partner in his, until then, one man paranormal group.  Long story short, I've helped the guy do a systematic investigation of the small, but history rich town in southwestern Ohio where he and his family reside.  We have been given pretty much complete access to the town's buildings/business working through the town council and chamber of commerce, and have provided a number of debriefs/reveals to both groups.  With the exception of a strange reddish light flickering in a long abandoned, small cemetery one cold winter night, I have experienced nothing. My colleague, a EE by trade and a gizmo geek, has picked up some interesting EVPs and hard to explain images, however.   We frequently disagree what we hear on the EVPs (he hears words, I hear what could be voices speaking gibberish), the same with what we see in video/photos he captures. We do not advertise, my colleague seems happy enough staying in his little town.  We tend to do the research in the fall, so I expect to be hearing from him in the next month or two.
Interesting. This thread should be moved over to the paranormal as it has become derailed. That sounds fun, especially being able to access various properties and with official permission. So no chance of a trespassing charge or misunderstanding by the local constabulary or property owner. That "Prospect Place" building looks interesting from the outside. But disgusting I guess inside, which often happens with abandoned properties. The website says the new owner "lives there" as he is remodeling it? One would think urine/pot smells and graffiti would be the first thing to take care of during a remodel!
Post if you get anything interesting in your investigations.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 19, 2017, 08:32:50 AM
I decided to just buy another Witness.
Bob and his family thank you.

Did you also purchase the concealed-carry radio holster?
http://www.ccrane.com/Werk-Pocket-Radio-Chest-Harness

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on July 19, 2017, 04:37:24 PM
Bob and his family thank you.

Did you also purchase the concealed-carry radio holster?
http://www.ccrane.com/Werk-Pocket-Radio-Chest-Harness

No, but if I ever decide to get a chest rig to carry my Taurus TCP back-up, may give Bob and family a call.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 19, 2017, 06:58:57 PM
No, but if I ever decide to get a chest rig to carry my Taurus TCP back-up, may give Bob and family a call.
I had you figured for a mil surplus Nagant M1895 as back-up.  ;)

chefist

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 18, 2017, 12:24:33 AM
I think I've posted about some of the ghost hunts here, but briefly those undertaken at the "big name" sites like Waverly were done with my daughter and her best friend.  Both women are RNs, but the friend fancies herself something of a sensitive. 

Drove by Louisville on the summer road trip...I was thinking about spending the night and visiting Waverly. The body shoot is simply diabolical.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on July 19, 2017, 07:21:39 PM
I had you figured for a mil surplus Nagant M1895 as back-up.  ;)

Oh I have one, but trying fitting it in a cell phone case, and even Hillary Clinton couldn't conceal a Nagant revolver in an ankle holster.

To keep this on thread, I got my new Witness today, two days from CA to OH.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 19, 2017, 08:32:50 AM
I decided to just buy another Witness.

They're that good? How much? Does it do SW too?

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 20, 2017, 09:11:34 PM
Oh I have one, but trying fitting it in a cell phone case, and even Hillary Clinton couldn't conceal a Nagant revolver in an ankle holster.

To keep this on thread, I got my new Witness today, two days from CA to OH.
:) on all comments. That is one of the only revolvers that could actually be suppressed due to the weird cartridge design that would 'seal' the gap, I'm sure Bill could figure a place to hide the suppressor, and maybe even the whole gun, for concealed carry assuming some interns are about.
Let us know how the latest version of Witness works out.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 20, 2017, 09:58:44 PM
They're that good? How much? Does it do SW too?

Sorry, didn't see your post/questions earlier.

The Witness itself sells for about $150, the accessory kit (A.C. charger, docking cradle, and a couple different style carrying cases) goes for another $40.  They occasionally run specials, and you can sometimes pick up a returned/ refurbed item ("orphan" in CCrane speak) for 10-15% off list.  The Witness does not have a SW turner, just AM/FM.

"Good" is a relative term, but it has several features I really appreciate.  It's programmable, allows you to listen to recorded programs at variable speeds, has a good size internal memory (but does take an SD card), is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, and has surprisingly good sound quality.  My previous Witness recorded C2C dutifully for a good fifteen years, only had to change local time to allow for DST.  Admittedly for the past several years I have erased far more C2C shows than I've listened to, but have used the Witness to record other programs every now and again.